Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,642 members, 7,889,081 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 10:18 PM

Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees (28626 Views)

Kano Deports 60,000 Beggars To Four States, Other Countries / BOTCHED DIPLOMACY AS Saudi-Arabia Deports 510 More Nigerian Women Pilgrims!! / Lagos “deports” 160 Northern Beggers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 26, 2012
It does not make economic and logical sense to deport since there is no proper identification scheme in Nigeria not to even mention that LASG does not control daily influx of people into the state. How do you spot, identify and reject if they choose to return since LASG does not have an inviolable border and a competent immigration policy?

I believe there is more to this story.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by violent(m): 8:21am On Sep 26, 2012
[size=13pt]Chapter IV :Fundamental Rights[/size]

41. (1) Every citizen of Nigeria is entitled to move freely throughout Nigeria and to reside in any part thereof, and no citizen of Nigeria shall be expelled from Nigeria or refused entry thereby or exit therefrom.

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section shall invalidate any law that is reasonably justifiable in a democratic society-

(a) imposing restrictions on the residence or movement of any person who has committed or is reasonably suspected to have committed a criminal
offence in order to prevent him from leaving Nigeria; or

(b) providing for the removal of any person from Nigeria to any other country to:-
(i) be tried outside Nigeria for any criminal offence, or
(ii) undergo imprisonment outside Nigeria in execution of the sentence of a court of law in respect of a criminal offence of which he has
been found guilty: Provided that there is reciprocal agreement between Nigeria and such other country in relation to such matter.

42. (1) A citizen of Nigeria of a particular community, ethnic group, place of origin, sex, religion or political opinion shall not, by reason only that he is such a person:-
(a) be subjected either expressly by, or in the practical application of, any law in force in Nigeria or any executive or administrative action
of the government, to disabilities or restrictions to which citizens of Nigeria of other communities, ethnic groups, places of origin, sex,
religions or political opinions are not made subject; or
(b) be accorded either expressly by, or in the practical application of, any law in force in Nigeria or any such executive or administrative
action, any privilege or advantage that is not accorded to citizens of Nigeria of other communities, ethnic groups, places of origin, sex,
religions or political opinions.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Arsenate(m): 8:23am On Sep 26, 2012
Hehehehe...but are there no yorubas in other parts of the country?
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Freiburger(m): 8:23am On Sep 26, 2012
Why is this topic termed refugees? Are they seeking for asylum in Lagos?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by airmark(m): 8:32am On Sep 26, 2012
This topic is ludicrous. Are they now getting visas to enter Lagos? Very soon ibo boys will start sellin the visas. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by DuduNegro: 8:33am On Sep 26, 2012
naptu2: There's something missing in the article above & that's the voice of the people that were returned (note: returned, not deported). It also seems that people do not know the details of the Lagos State policy. Nobody is deported (that would be unconstitutional), rather, people are returned (which is constitutional and within the laws of Lagos State).

I'll be back with a description of the process that leads to someone being returned.

Naptu, ive been looking for you to say great job on some of your posts on State House, Marina and DB. I believe the only military establishment that had any respectable measure of perimeter security in Lagos was the old Ministry of Defense building on Marina....the street blocks around it were locked down 24hrs. When it relocated to independence bldng in Odan security was fairly relaxed. Anyway, great job on your coversge.
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by White007(m): 8:34am On Sep 26, 2012
Lasg, got it all wrong this time around. To say it is illegal is saying the obvious.
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Austinodark(m): 8:34am On Sep 26, 2012
50 percent of the population in Lagos re IGBOS,we control the economy there and all over Nigeria with our various businesses,whether Yoruba like it or not.We re always Superior to them

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Austinodark(m): 8:35am On Sep 26, 2012
50 percent of the population in Lagos re IGBOS,we control the economy there and all over Nigeria with our various businesses,whether Yoruba like it or not.We re always Superior to them cowards!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Afam4eva(m): 8:35am On Sep 26, 2012
How on earth do people get deported inside their own country. Aren't citizens of this country permitted to live and move in any part of the country they so pls? I think this action is unconstitutional and Fashola and the Lagos should be called to order.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by naptu2: 8:35am On Sep 26, 2012
I'm going to recount from memory because I'm on the move at the moment, but I'll try to get articles, etc when I get to a place of rest. The sources for my memory are newspaper articles, documentaries of Lagos Television, news reports and even nairaland.

[size=14pt]The Process[/size]

1)The environmental laws of Lagos State (laws against street trading, begging, etc) have been in place at least since the 1970s (probably earlier). They've been reviewed quite a number of times (Akhigbe, Rasaki, Tinubu).

2) The process was fully established by the Tinubu Administration.

3) Beggars, street traders, destitutes, area boys, psychotics, etc are arrested by the Task Force on Environmental Offences.

4) They are given a choice: (a) go to prison (b) go to rehabilitation centre (c) return to your state of origin.

A) The law stipulates punishment for those who commit these offences. They include prison term, fine, forfeiture of goods.

B) Rehabilitation centres were set up (the most famous/infamous was at Ita-Oko Island). At the centres the inmates are sorted. They are tested for drugs. Those who are drug addicts are detoxified. Those who have mental illnesses are sent to the asylum. The inmates (apart from the lunatics) are then taught skills (skills acquisition centre) so that they'll be able to earn a living. When they complete the course, they are given a loan with which they will start a business and made to sign an undertaking that they will not return to the streets.

C) Return: Those who choose to return are transported to their state of origin. The state government is usually informed ahead of time (although I know of 3 instances in which their state governments claimed that they were not informed) so that they can make arrangements to cater for the people. Most of the people who have chosen to return are from the northern part of the country (note: they chose to return).

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by cantell(m): 8:36am On Sep 26, 2012
If this was a legal act, surely the northerners would have deported the Igbos & non igbos from the north.
But instead, they choose to live with them regardless of their differences.
Personally, i think there's more to this story.
Freiburger: Why is this topic termed refugees? Are they seeking for asylum in Lagos?
The word "refugees" got your attention right?
Thats the idea.
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by DuduNegro: 8:37am On Sep 26, 2012
violent: [size=13pt]Chapter IV :Fundamental Rights[/size]

41. (1) Every citizen of Nigeria is entitled to move freely throughout Nigeria and to reside in any part thereof, and no citizen of Nigeria shall be expelled from Nigeria or refused entry thereby or exit therefrom.

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section shall invalidate any law that is reasonably justifiable in a democratic society-

(a) imposing restrictions on the residence or movement of any person who has committed or is reasonably suspected to have committed a criminal
offence in order to prevent him from leaving Nigeria; or

(b) providing for the removal of any person from Nigeria to any other country to:-
(i) be tried outside Nigeria for any criminal offence, or
(ii) undergo imprisonment outside Nigeria in execution of the sentence of a court of law in respect of a criminal offence of which he has
been found guilty: Provided that there is reciprocal agreement between Nigeria and such other country in relation to such matter.

42. (1) A citizen of Nigeria of a particular community, ethnic group, place of origin, sex, religion or political opinion shall not, by reason only that he is such a person:-
(a) be subjected either expressly by, or in the practical application of, any law in force in Nigeria or any executive or administrative action
of the government, to disabilities or restrictions to which citizens of Nigeria of other communities, ethnic groups, places of origin, sex,
religions or political opinions are not made subject; or
(b) be accorded either expressly by, or in the practical application of, any law in force in Nigeria or any such executive or administrative
action, any privilege or advantage that is not accorded to citizens of Nigeria of other communities, ethnic groups, places of origin, sex,
religions or political opinions.

...thank you!

Keyword......ANY LAW IN FORCE IN NIGERIA.
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Freiburger(m): 8:38am On Sep 26, 2012
afam4eva: How on earth do people get deported inside their own country. Aren't citizens of this country permitted to live and move in any part of the country they so pls? I think this action is unconstitutional and Fashola and the Lagos should be called to order.
10likes

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 26, 2012
naptu2: I'm going to recount from memory because I'm on the move at the moment, but I'll try to get articles, etc when I get to a place of rest. The sources for my memory are newspaper articles, documentaries of Lagos Television, news reports and even nairaland.

1)The environmental laws of Lagos State (laws against street trading, begging, etc) have been in place at least since the 1970s (probably earlier). They've been reviewed quite a number of times (Akhigbe, Rasaki, Tinubu).

3) Beggars, street traders, destitutes, area boys, psychotics, etc are arrested by the Task Force on Environmental Offences.

4) They are given a choice: (a) go to prison (b) go to rehabilitation centre (c) return to your state of origin.

A) The law stipulates punishment for those who commit these offences. They include prison term, fine, forfeiture of goods.

B) Rehabilitation centres were set up (the most famous/infamous was at Ita-Oko Island). At the centres the inmates are sorted. They are tested for drugs. Those who are drug addicts are detoxified. Those who have mental illnesses are sent to the asylum. The inmates (apart from the lunatics) are then taught skills (skills acquisition centre) so that they'll be able to earn a living. When they complete the course, they are given a loan with which they will start a business and made to sign an undertaking that they will not return to the streets.

C) Return: Those who choose to return are transported to their state of origin. The state government is usually informed ahead of time (although I know of 3 instances in which their state governments claimed that they were not informed) so that they can make arrangements to cater for the people. Most of the people who have chosen to return are from the northern part of the country (note: they chose to return).

It's a good policy. You have supplied the missing link.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by naptu2: 8:40am On Sep 26, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Naptu, ive been looking for you to say great job on some of your posts on State House, Marina and DB. I believe the only military establishment that had any respectable measure of perimeter security in Lagos was the old Ministry of Defense building on Marina....the street blocks around it were locked down 24hrs. When it relocated to independence bldng in Odan security was fairly relaxed. Anyway, great job on your coversge.

Thanks very much.
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by DuduNegro: 8:40am On Sep 26, 2012
cantell: If this was a legal act, surely the northerners would have deported the Igbos & non igbos from the north.
But instead, they choose to live with them regardless of their differences.
Personally, i think there's more to this story.

The word "refugees" got your attention right?
Thats the idea.

Really Northerners have done worse than deport igbos from North.....they have annual bloodbath.
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Freiburger(m): 8:41am On Sep 26, 2012
For God's sake, why will someone be referred to as a refugee in his own country? Some of these journalists need to go back to school undecided
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by dnative(m): 8:43am On Sep 26, 2012
did their Lagos visa ran out?
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Krucifax(m): 8:44am On Sep 26, 2012
@ Dudunegro,

With respect your diatribe of a post is a nonsensical perversion of the standing national constitution governing Nigerian citizenry. If we were to give it any substance you would then be suggesting that regional laws supersede national laws or that they even have precedence which means you do not understand the basis of the Nigerian constitution.

Furthermore in absence of the facts or more importantly an explanation from relevant authorities, your quick dive into suggesting that the actions are legal betray a lack of even modest understanding of prevailing laws.

The article in itself suggests that some of the so called deportees “are not Igbo” ,are you also suggesting that it made sense to take them to the aforementioned state?
I also put it to you that if the article is indeed correct then the state of Lagos has acted unilaterally and in grave breach of citizenship rights.

Furthermore you clearly misunderstand the concept of “local indigene” as per national constitution and its relationship with movement of goods and persons within the natural borders of Nigeria and especially what it says about right of free abode conferred on ALL citizens regardless of tribe or beliefs.
In addition to a “local indigene” can be a misnomer as it’s primary tenet is that you are BORN of a region. It does not cater to people of mixed parentage (Igbo+Yoruba etc), or people with a different background who born and bred in other regions of Nigeria. That is why national laws always takes precedence. Taking a few minutes to read the constitution should have told you that.

In conclusion it is fair to say at this point that no one has all the fact as to the event, an explanation from the state of Lagos is very much needed.

Dudu_Negro: Saintneo,

The people living in Lagos State have a civic responsibility to the state. This action by Lagos State is supported by the customary laws and those laws recognize and identify citizenship strictly by ward and ancestry. The constitution of Nigeria further recognize and empower those customary laws as the basis of indigeneity for any member state in the sovereingty. If you suppress the customary laws in favor of the Constitution then you must also dissolve the traditional Chiefs and fire the Obas and the title holders.....basically erode the culture.

If you do it for Lagos, you must do it for all other states. If the other states must keep their customary laws intact, then so must Lagos.

On the substance of the matter itself, who are these people and why were they deported?

On the lagality, Lagos State, by this action, has not acted in counter to any provision or statutes of Constitution and is therefore not in violation of the right of citizenship clause.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by HVILLE: 8:44am On Sep 26, 2012
ayo jango: .

You visited shops and markets n felt dt because ur pple control d place they control d economomy. Go visit d ministries,banks,oil companies then come tell us d pple who r ther.
thank u bro dont mind the guy abeg help ask am
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 26, 2012
afam4eva: How on earth do people get deported inside their own country. Aren't citizens of this country permitted to live and move in any part of the country they so pls? I think this action is unconstitutional and Fashola and the Lagos should be called to order.
anyone who believes this story can believe anything! Shame on all tribal bigots on NL! "Spits"

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by SamMilla1(m): 8:45am On Sep 26, 2012
I went where those people were dropped at Onitsha and i can tell you that most of them are not even Pure Igbos. There ate people from Akwa Ibom, Cross River and even Rivers.

They dumped them there because Onitsha is the first major Igbo City they found after the Niger Bridge. Now Fashola has lost my vote.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by DuduNegro: 8:48am On Sep 26, 2012
naptu2: I'm going to recount from memory because I'm on the move at the moment, but I'll try to get articles, etc when I get to a place of rest. The sources for my memory are newspaper articles, documentaries of Lagos Television, news reports and even nairaland.

Thanks naptu.

On behalf of Lagos State Im asking that Anambra reimburse the cost of training per head of these refugees and as well the transportation cost. Did they get a hair cut before leaving Lagos? They will pay for that as well.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by gbanikiti(m): 8:51am On Sep 26, 2012
saintneo: why do I see the same person in Eko Atlantic and Ji_sun_pack
because Ji_sun_pack is the tribal bigot Rhino.5dm

1 Like

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Freiburger(m): 8:52am On Sep 26, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Thanks naptu.

On behalf of Lagos State Im asking that Anambra reimburse the cost of training per head of these refugees and as well the transportation cost. Did they get a hair cut before leaving Lagos? They will pay for that as well.
This kind of hatered is what still keep most of you in an extremely dumb state of mind. Grow up son. undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by achi4u(m): 8:53am On Sep 26, 2012
those people are not igbos,return them back.ASAP
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by BlackOyinbo: 8:53am On Sep 26, 2012
Wahala dey...I only hope d guys deported were not the recently freed prisoners from kiri kiri.
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by naptu2: 8:54am On Sep 26, 2012
[size=14pt]Press Releases

Feb 1, 2005 - LASG Completes N110 Million Ita-Oko Rehabilitation Centre
[/size]

As part of efforts to offer comprehensive rehabilitation for social miscreants and youths in the state, the Lagos State Government has completed works on the Rehabilitation and Skills Acquisition Centre located at Tekunle Island (Ita Oko) near Ise along the Lekki Peninsula.

The 4200 square metre centre, has facilities for training residents in fabrication, carpentry weaving, an agriculture component (involving snailry, poultry and fish production), detoxification centre, clinic, and residence for 200 along with a staff quarter and helipad.

Lagos State Governor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu who along with his cabinet visited the centre yesterday noted that by the second quarter of the year it would have become operational once the new tools had been fully installed.

He said the pilot phase of the rehabilitation programme will exclude females and will be based on offering the youths a n opportunity for change.

Sounding a note of warning that government's gesture if shunned by "area boys" will lead to dire consequences, Asiwaju Tinubu declared "anyone who refuses this good gesture and our goodwill to offer him/her a new life must be ready to leave Lagos".

According to him, the six months period of residence will not only lead to a complete rehabilitation but also lead to the internationally recognized trade test certificate.

The Governor also said the administration had envisioned a two pronged plan for rehabilitation after graduation either to become self-employed with a financial bank or employable.

He further said his administration plans to have other centres at appropriate areas in the state adding that government will continue to dialogue with miscreants and offer them the goodwill to change.

In a report presented by the Commissioner for Works, Engr. Rauf Aregbesola said about N110 million had been expended by the government in both phases of the rehabilitation of the centre.

According to him, the centre had been established as a slave post but was rehabilitated as a detention camp by the military government in 1985 with such facilities as 12 wooden dormitories, dwarf walls, steel poles and sand screeded floor.

While also stating that the project will be fully delivered by mid-March, Aregbesola urged that the necessary deployments by the Ministry of Youths, Sports and Social Development should be concluded.

Earlier while conducting the Executive Council round the agriculture component Dr. Jide Basorun, Director of Agric. Services disclosed that the facilities have capacity to sustain the centre through the production offish, poultry products and snailry.

According to him with a 1000 layer bird poultry, 2000 fish capacity aquaculture and 1000 capacity snailry, the centre can not only expand but has the yield to make the centre self sustaining.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by Krucifax(m): 8:55am On Sep 26, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Thanks naptu.

Says it all really, your I.Q = single digits! Just here to make jokes about an apparently serious matter. You should be left to go play in the fields kiddo!!
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by DuduNegro: 8:56am On Sep 26, 2012
Krucifax: @ Dudunegro,

With respect your diatribe of a post is a nonsensical perversion of the standing national constitution governing Nigerian citizenry. If we were to give it any substance you would then be suggesting that regional laws supersede national laws or that they even have precedence which means you do not understand the basis of the Nigerian constitution.

Furthermore in absence of the facts or more importantly an explanation from relevant authorities, your quick dive into suggesting that the actions are legal betray a lack of even modest understanding of prevailing laws.

The article in itself suggests that some of the so called deportees “are not Igbo” ,are you also suggesting that it made sense to take them to the aforementioned state?
I also put it to you that if the article is indeed correct then the state of Lagos has acted unilaterally and in grave breach of citizenship rights.

Furthermore you clearly misunderstand the concept of “local indigene” as per national constitution and its relationship with movement of goods and persons within the natural borders of Nigeria and especially what it says about right of free abode conferred on ALL citizens regardless of tribe or beliefs.
In addition to a “local indigene” can be a misnomer as it’s primary tenet is that you are BORN of a region. It does not cater to people of mixed parentage (Igbo+Yoruba etc), or people with a different background who born and bred in other regions of Nigeria. That is why national laws always takes precedence. Taking a few minutes to read the constitution should have told you that.

In conclusion it is fair to say at this point that no one has all the fact as to the event, an explanation from the state of Lagos is very much needed.

...i refer you to that post with thy keyword "Any law in force in Nigeria" , it says it all.

If you want to argue the question of local indigene i refer you to my queation to st neo and you are welcome to answer it . What makes Emeka a native of Anambra and Ade a native of Lagos?
Re: Lagos Deports Anambra Refugees by redsun(m): 8:56am On Sep 26, 2012
This is another way of saying that lagos has seceded from nigeria.The tribal iinsticnts of some suppose educated yorubas are self-destructive.Just because there is a bit of organisation in lagos made possible by the people's taxes,tend to make them think that they can do without what makes lagos tick,which is varieties of people of different backgrounds.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Arms Probe Report Doctored To Shield Dambazau, Buratai- Junaid Mohammed / Photo Of A Soldier Thanking God For The Success Of Conquering Sambisa Forest / Nigerian Soldiers Pose With Huge Python After Capturing It. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.