Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,288 members, 7,891,327 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 11:39 AM

Glass: The Future Of Computing? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Glass: The Future Of Computing? (1747 Views)

Flying Bike Or Hoverbike: The Future Of Motorbike / Google Glass UI With Cool Features By Google / There's Enough Energy In A Glass Of Water To Power Lagos For A Year! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Glass: The Future Of Computing? by AjanleKoko: 10:08am On Sep 26, 2012
You all probably know about Gorilla Glass, the displays that are used in a number of touch smartphones these days.
Some of you have probably heard about Corning, the U.S. glass company founded by Amory Houghton in 1851.
Check out this video that postulates an almost unimaginable future - where everything is a glass display, and computing is everywhere. WOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38
Re: Glass: The Future Of Computing? by AjanleKoko: 10:13am On Sep 26, 2012
Re: Glass: The Future Of Computing? by Wallie(m): 2:03pm On Oct 02, 2012
Very interesting! Being in the patent field, my first inclination is to try to determine what the underlying technology for each innovation in the film is and I do recognize most of what makes such a world possible.

1. Microsoft Surface (operating system needed to run such a large touch surface)
2. Electrochromic glass (ability for glass to change luminance based on electric currents)
3. Capacitive, inductive and resistive multi-touch gestures (ability to touch the glass with your fingers and objects)
4. Samsung's transparent smart window (they built a window that incorporated all the technologies above)

I’m guessing Corning is the company that actually builds the glass or a version of the glass.
Re: Glass: The Future Of Computing? by AjanleKoko: 2:19pm On Oct 02, 2012
Wallie: Very interesting! Being in the patent field, my first inclination is to try to determine what the underlying technology for each innovation in the film is and I do recognize most of what makes such a world possible.

1. Microsoft Surface (operating system needed to run such a large touch surface)
2. Electrochromic glass (ability for glass to change luminance based on electric currents)
3. Capacitive, inductive and resistive multi-touch gestures (ability to touch the glass with your fingers and objects)
4. Samsung's transparent smart window (they built a window that incorporated all the technologies above)

I’m guessing Corning is the company that actually builds the glass or a version of the glass.

Cost of putting all that stuff together as displayed in the videos must be a lot at this point. But definitely achievable.
Re: Glass: The Future Of Computing? by Wallie(m): 2:37pm On Oct 02, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Cost of putting all that stuff together as displayed in the videos must be a lot at this point. But definitely achievable.

Achievable? Samsung built one already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTVPVobDrms
Re: Glass: The Future Of Computing? by AjanleKoko: 2:46pm On Oct 02, 2012
Wallie:

Achievable? Samsung built one already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTVPVobDrms

I was referring to commercialization. I'm sure pet projects like this exist all over the place in the electronics industry.
I've seen a similar concept before now, at MIT's Media Lab, when I visited some years back.
Part of their smart mobility and ubiquitous computing initiative.
Re: Glass: The Future Of Computing? by Wallie(m): 3:14pm On Oct 02, 2012
True...Samsung is yet to release a commercial version of the window. If it will be used as a true window, it has to be built tough enough to survive drastic changes in temperature that we experience during the Summer and Winter.
Re: Glass: The Future Of Computing? by AjanleKoko: 3:55pm On Aug 14, 2013
Wallie: True...Samsung is yet to release a commercial version of the window. If it will be used as a true window, it has to be built tough enough to survive drastic changes in temperature that we experience during the Summer and Winter.

It would prolly be deployed indoors, where temperature is regulated and fairly stable. Not outdoors.
Indoor malls, customer service areas, etc. I'd like to have one in my house to play with wink
Re: Glass: The Future Of Computing? by AjanleKoko: 3:57pm On Aug 14, 2013
Corning is getting paid big time, thanks to all the smartphone wars wink

Over $1B In Gorilla Glass Sales In 2012 Helps Propel Corning To New Single Quarter Sales Record
Re: Glass: The Future Of Computing? by ninja4life(m): 10:30am On Aug 16, 2013
Lol it looks funny and real.dis tech might be out 30yrs to come,hope its downside will be manageable.
Re: Glass: The Future Of Computing? by okekev: 1:59am On Aug 17, 2013
SoccerFone-Football Quiz sets to unveil! It has so much to offer you. Do you know that you can be a winner to take a trip to the United Kingdom to watch this session's match or get an alternative cash prize of 500k so much more prizes to be won including an authentic customized jersey of your favourite club, smart phones, goodie bags, airtime etc! Just by dialing 32566 (MTN) and answer 5 soccer questions! Play the game now and WIN WIN WIN!Follow us @soccerfone Cheers! for the love of soccer...

(1) (Reply)

7 Deadly Military Weapons That Never Get Completed / Pictorials Of The Construction Of A Locally Made Oven. / How The Dream Of First African Car Z-600 Of Nigerian Extraction Died.(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.