Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,484 members, 7,881,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 06:29 AM

My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" (11139 Views)

Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? / Would You Marry An Osu? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Nobody: 9:25am On Jan 28, 2008
Hi there, do you know you can get jailed for calling someone an 'OSU' now. Its legally a crime. it can be identified as slander. Such things no longer exist. Its just like saying you have a twin and you want to kill them. These are beleifs/cultures that was practised in the olden days and by unbeleivers. As christians and in this modern age, it shouldnt even be brought up. I am of royal blood but my elder sister is engaged to what you people call 'OSU'. I am strongly behind her to marry him because its what they feel for each other that matters and nothing else. Please dont stop you brother to marry the woman he loves because of something as irrelevant and achaeic and 'OSU'
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by dinmauk2: 11:18am On Jan 29, 2008
i have often asked older people to explain y tradition takes out a mistake made by great grand parents on their descendants and i am yet to get a suitable answer. for what it's worth, i see no reason y these people claim to be xtians and still don't fully embrace our doctrines.
anyway, all the hocus-pocus is false, but i think the real threat is the ostracization they go thru
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by ogebaby1(f): 5:45pm On Jan 30, 2008
Osu my foot!

there is no osu in heaven, one you love the girl go ahead and marry her.

I'm surprise people still subject themselves to this nonsence of outcast. Can anyone trully tell me what difference there is between an Osu and a Free born? what really makes someone an Osu?

This is totally annoying. I'll advice your brother stays solidly by his girlfriend and match her straight to the alter!
Forget this old age, archaic, primitive and uninformed practice against fellow humans and see people the way they are.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Ital(m): 7:35pm On Jan 30, 2008
WHAT IS "OSU"
I CAN'T BELIEF MY EAR

ARE PEOPLE STILL ACCEPTING THAT
LANGUAGE?

FIRST DO YOU THINK THAT YOUR BROTHER LOVE THE LADY
IF "YES" THEN HE SHOULD GO ON WITH THE MARRIAGE
BUT CAN HE TAKE CARE OF THIS HOME I MEAN HIS LIFE

IS HE A DEPENDANT?
IS HE AN IN DENPENT SOMEBODY?

THOSE ARE THE QUESTION THAT WILL ALSO DETERMINE HIS PLANS

GOOD LUCK
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Nellyf: 4:08pm On Feb 01, 2008
IT'S A BIG SHAME THAT EVEN CHRISTIANS AND EDUCATED PEOPLE STILL TALK OF "OSU". THIS PERSON YOU CALL OSU, IS UR CLASSMATE IN SCHOOL, UR COLLEGUE IN OFFICE, UR CHRISTAIN "SISTER OR "BROTHER IN CHURCH ETC . WHAT IS NOW THE OSU IN THE PERSON? I PRAY CHRISTAINS SHOULD ACTUALLY BE CHRIST LIKE, AMEN.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by bukkytee: 4:41pm On Feb 01, 2008
whats the meaning of OSU,SO PEOPLE LIKE YOUR PARENTS STILL EXIST.Am so suprised to hear that.Infact am short of words.May be your brother should let her go, so a reasonable man like my brother can marry her after your brother had finish paying her school fees.You know
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Elgaxton(m): 9:49pm On Feb 03, 2008
@poster

i think u should settle down b4 rushing into any decisions.

First of all try to convince ur parents about ur love for this gal

and how it has nothing to do wit what ur ancestors or hers did.

irrespective of their ignorance it is good to have their marriage blessing or what do u think?

Don't elope o, try to yan with them ok

all the best men. cool
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Goshen360(m): 6:33pm On Feb 05, 2008
Many young people do not understand spiritual things. Marriage issues is more of spiritual than just the ceremony.

BY ONE MAN (Adam), SIN ENTERED THE WORLD AND ALL WERE BORN AND BECAME SINNERS , ALSO BY ONE MAN (CHRIST), ALL BECAME BLESSED. Likewise, many christians claim Abraham blessings are mine,

HOW DID ALL THESE HAPPENED, simply because, at a time or the other, certain man took an action that led to curse or blessing.

LETS GET BACK TO THE ROOT, AND LETS RUMINATE, KEEP YA HEAD DOWN.

i rest my case
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by iyc(m): 1:38pm On Feb 06, 2008
hello nairalanders,

this issue of osu is not a trivial matter. to me it is of no consequence, i believe if i am confronted with the choice, i will go ahead and marry. i know someone who went ahead, even after much parental pressure to do otherwise. it was a girl, and in the end, the girl had her way and married her guy.

so i think it boils down to individual ability to manage the pressures associated with the matter. i advise you tread softly, and when you finally make the decision, stick to it, irrespective.

i wish you the best.

iyc
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by otele(m): 1:55pm On Feb 06, 2008
this osu thing self.
osu this osu that. haba.

can we just stop talking about it. perhaps that way it'll die down.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by iyc(m): 6:06pm On Feb 08, 2008
Hey, they say this osu thing is supposed to be extinct, but its a question of when it stares you in the face!! Where i come from, Nnewi, they said the igwe once stated that it does not exist anymore, and they asked him to go and let his child marry an osu. I never heard anymore about that.

But like i said, i know a girl who insisted and married her man, who was an osu. After everyone had tried their best to dissuade her, me exclusive, she did the wise thing, went and got pregnant, and no-one said abort (as all good catholics decide). So she got her man, and no one dissents in her direction, anyways theya re now both permanently in the states, so that's another kettle of fish altogether.

All i can say is that, if you desire the person enough to damn the consequences, then so be it, but if you are looking for support to make you feel justified in your decision, you'll be scratching too many backs. So do what your heart can justify even when you are dead. God's grace in your decision, but quote me anyday, "GO FOR IT"!!!!!!!!!!

IYC
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by maryray(f): 6:39am On Feb 09, 2008
Albato thanks a lot.You see its only when u travel outside of this country, that u acquire some sense. Black cat, trust me your name fits u, no insult intended. What if u find out some years from them that your grand father was an osu, and therefore u are one. Would u like someone to segregate u. To all in favour of this segregation, i hope u will understand when some colorless(white) idiot, tells u they are better than u cause they are white. I ope u will understand what makes them think u are inferior to them. And if u are wondering why it is that i am bringing in an unrelated topic, it is because i am hoping u will be able 2 use your head and fill in d blanks.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by metridim(m): 9:54pm On Feb 14, 2008
Elgaxton! Thanks for that wise advise. To clear some of us, the people tagged OSU are those whose ancestors were believed to have taken refuge in one god or the other. The result is that is they were taken to be the property of such gods. They were used for sacrifice and that was because they had surrendered their lives to those gods. In other words they were the untouchables, 'unmingle-ables' if I may use that coinage. Modern society have come to frown at such practices not just the belief. In other words, it is not about "western education"  as some of us may think, but about positive spiritual awareness.

If your brother's fiance has severed herself from such belief and practices, then you should support your brother and help him convince your parents, afterall you said both families have been friends. I emphasize PRACTICES because some of them, (Osu) hate to be called Osu but they relish the protection they get from such gods. My brother, there is God and there is the Devil, and both have powers. But thank God for his GRACE. I wish your brother all the best as he makes the right decisions.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Ajisafe: 6:59pm On Feb 17, 2008
Haba! Ibo people! That's why I hate your fake asses. You all claim to be Christians and all that. What would your lord and savior, Jesus, do? After all he too was born of a lower class. A child of an inexperienced teenage virgin -- a supposed son of a carpenter; a carpenter himself who was born inside a dirty manger full of stinking animal blood, poops, and rubbish -- was he an OSU too? I mean, was your Jesus also an OSU since he was born of a lower class family? Answer me you idiots!

1 Like

Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by synderella: 4:52pm On Feb 18, 2008
I would say follow ur heart, but remember that what she is going through will be you and your childrens' portion as well for the rest of your lives.
Its only the Igbos that understand the effect it has.

A friend of mine keeps meeting nice guys who always tend to take her to meet the parents so to speak grin, but somehow it nevers works out . She has told me in the past that she is an osu so i suspect that as the guys she has been dating so far have been Igbos this is probably the reason behind the "not working out scenarios".

Its the fear behind the osu issue that is the problem, one cant just say ignore it because it will simply become your endless burden too.

Be prepared for it is what i'd say. Good luck,
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by jookco(m): 5:29pm On Feb 27, 2008
My friend I just get this message only today, PLEASE I BEG YOU DON'T MARRY THAT GIRL, let me tell you as cultural guy, if you attempt to marry her, she will at times get doing better than you and you will be living only with her assitance, she will devide your family and the children you intend to have will find it difficult to marry some one within or from your village, I have many of this people from my Village in Abia State , the hardly get married, I know of pretty Girls that have not gotten married because their mother or father inherited OSU through marriage.
Re: My Wife-To-Be Is An "Osu" by Nobody: 7:45pm On Feb 08, 2009
Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-195145.0.html

(1) (2) (3) (4)

Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? / Paintings Of The Moors Of Europe / The Igbo Calendar And Its Influences On Igbo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.