Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,319 members, 7,920,168 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 09:03 PM

Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You (3090 Views)

First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating / LOOKING Up...investors Bet On Nigeria With N800bn Sealed Deals In Jan / Tips On How To Make First Class In UI Is Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Dstar4u(m): 2:43pm On Sep 27, 2012
I heard it is very hard to bag first class in great Ife but i believe some have done it in the past and some are doing it presently. Pls, if there is any tips to follow kindly post it.
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 28, 2012
Dstar4u: I heard it is very hard to bag first class in great Ife but i believe some have done it in the past and some are doing it presently. Pls, if there is any tips to follow kindly post it.
I guess you are the elect/elect guy with an affinity for maths, right?
Many have done it, and many more will do it, including you. The most important thing is understanding yourself. NEVER be too overconfident. To bag a first in Ife, you have to read well and I advise you to stay in campus all through your stay for various reasons.
It is relatively easier to perform well in your part 1 and I advise you to try and perform excellently well in that year. Aim for all A's. Let your Part 1 results lay a foundation for your pursuit.
Part 2 is somewhat harder but it's all about hardwork, reading past questions, understanding your lecturers and God (Ife guys are religious oh). Never fail to consult your colleagues if you have any challenge in any subject or course.
Also, never allow a poorer-than-expected grade dampen your spirit. I have seen people that have risen through poor grades to make a first in Ife.
Get to know those ahead of you (your seniors), especially the good ones amongst those immediately ahead of you. It's very important. Learn to know them and leverage on their experience and materials. Get advice and materials from them.

Before I forgot to say this: Believe in yourself. Do not listen to people who tell you a course or lecturer is difficult. Don't also listen to people who are quick to tell you how hard Ife is, or how much people fail a course. Instead, divert your attention to stories of people who have excelled in their courses. This will motivate you.
Wishing you the best in your endeavour.

4 Likes

Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by uceee(m): 8:12pm On Sep 28, 2012
@Dstar4u, are u in school already or are u gonna be resuming next session?
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Dstar4u(m): 12:13pm On Sep 29, 2012
x-fire:

I guess you are the elect/elect guy with an affinity for maths, right?
Many have done it, and many more will do it, including you. The most important thing is understanding yourself. NEVER be too overconfident. To bag a first in Ife, you have to read well and I advise you to stay in campus all through your stay for various reasons.
It is relatively easier to perform well in your part 1 and I advise you to try and perform excellently well in that year. Aim for all A's. Let your Part 1 results lay a foundation for your pursuit.
Part 2 is somewhat harder but it's all about hardwork, reading past questions, understanding your lecturers and God (Ife guys are religious oh). Never fail to consult your colleagues if you have any challenge in any subject or course.
Also, never allow a poorer-than-expected grade dampen your spirit. I have seen people that have risen through poor grades to make a first in Ife.
Get to know those ahead of you (your seniors), especially the good ones amongst those immediately ahead of you. It's very important. Learn to know them and leverage on their experience and materials. Get advice and materials from them.

Before I forgot to say this: Believe in yourself. Do not listen to people who tell you a course or lecturer is difficult. Don't also listen to people who are quick to tell you how hard Ife is, or how much people fail a course. Instead, divert your attention to stories of people who have excelled in their courses. This will motivate you.
Wishing you the best in your endeavour.
I am not d elect elect guy, I am an ND 2 mechanical student considering to write jamb nxt yr and put in 4 OAU because dats where i chose to go b4. Although, am a distinction student wit GPA 3.53 n i hope 2 graduate wit it, I decided 2 choose OAU n I wish 2 graduate wit first class or else I shud choose a skul dat wil b easier to get first class. What's ur advice on diz?
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Dstar4u(m): 12:16pm On Sep 29, 2012
uceee: @Dstar4u, are u in school already or are u gonna be resuming next session?
Am nt in school nw bt i wil b rsumin nxt 2 session. U can read my rply to x-fire.
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Nobody: 12:46pm On Sep 29, 2012
If you are looking an easy way to get a first class, then Ife isn't the ideal place. I advise that you pitch your tent with another institution, especially the private universities.
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 29, 2012
Oh puhlease!!! There is no easy way/place to make a first class. First class is not "easier" or "harder" in any university. Just work hard, pray hard and don't loose focus. Goodluck.
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Dstar4u(m): 11:17pm On Sep 29, 2012
Is not a matter of easier or harder. As sum1 that has bin in d game, pls, brothers jst giv me d tips dat wud hep wit my hardwork n prayer. Tanx
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Wiseoldman: 5:42pm On Oct 02, 2012
easy as abc....
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by eledalo: 7:32pm On Oct 02, 2012
Dstar4u: I am not d elect elect guy, I am an ND 2 mechanical student considering to write jamb nxt yr and put in 4 OAU because dats where i chose to go b4. Although, am a distinction student wit GPA 3.53 n i hope 2 graduate wit it, I decided 2 choose OAU n I wish 2 graduate wit first class or else I shud choose a skul dat wil b easier to get first class. What's ur advice on diz?

Congrats, I like reading from people like you. First class is not easy. Dont let anyone deceive you. Focus and hardwork - those are the two things you need. You will be faced with MANY distractions, from girls wink to lecturer harassment to peer pressure, Serious peer pressure through out your four years. But you must focus. Work hard - read and study in all your courses, use past questions and be persistent, dont let any failures get to you, keep moving. Four years is a long time to work consistently but at the end of it your doors will be so open, it is unbelievable. Trust me. When last did you see first class student coming on NL to look for job? grin
Good luck.
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by sholay2011(m): 10:46pm On Oct 02, 2012
Well, by God's grace, am one frm d mentned institutn still in my finals. Here are my few tips:
Be close to God.
Study your books that day you receivd d lecture...dnt wait till test dates and exam periods.
Engage in group discussions, though, depending on d nature of nd course.
Try to avoid some distractns.
Solve past questns.
Enquire about courses from your senior colleagues. dnt be too proud to do that.
Explain the little you knw to people. it makes you understand it more.
Understand what d lecturer wants. Is it points or graphs or long essay?
Lastly, know yourself!
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Dstar4u(m): 1:20am On Oct 03, 2012
Thanks men, I appreciate d advice n courage. God wil guide our paths to fulfil our heart desires.
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by KDK(m): 6:35pm On Oct 03, 2012
There are few threads already about this topic
https://www.nairaland.com/163757/secrets-first-class-students/1

https://www.nairaland.com/934777/9-ways-make-first-class

https://www.nairaland.com/27878/first-class-university-it-hard

Pick your choice from the above.
However, God granted me a 1st class as well as best graduating student in my school. In achieving this,I did the following:
1. I read as if I will not pray then I prayed as if I will not read (learnt that from my days in deeper life bible church)
2. I gave God all glory.
3. I always confessed Psalm 119:99 and it came to pass in my life.
4. I never forgot the role of grace in my achievements as written in Romans 11:6

God bless you as you seek counsel. The bible says there is wisdom in the multitude of counsel.

2 Likes

Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by GboyegaD(m): 6:52pm On Oct 03, 2012
Dstar4u: I am not d elect elect guy, I am an ND 2 mechanical student considering to write jamb nxt yr and put in 4 OAU because dats where i chose to go b4. Although, am a distinction student wit GPA 3.53 n i hope 2 graduate wit it, I decided 2 choose OAU n I wish 2 graduate wit first class or else I shud choose a skul dat wil b easier to get first class. What's ur advice on diz?

You can also apply for DE with your Distinction, you stand better chances of getting the admission particularly in Engineering.
Concerning your question, try to be focussed and read as though your life depends on your book and pray as though your life depends on God. I do not think it is so difficult provided you put your mind at it and I would want to warn you to be very concious of your roommates in your 1st year because what I percieved all through my stay in school was that they often times determine how far you go Ife wise. You can also send a PM to Jarus perhaps he would be of help at least, the guy know as he take do am oooooo.

1 Like

Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Dstar4u(m): 7:51am On Oct 04, 2012
Alrit, thanks men for ur concern. @gboyego, I've sent Jarus a PM to learn n ve also read sum of his post on NL abt 1st class.
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Jarus(m): 8:29am On Oct 04, 2012
I got your PM.

We had similar discussion on NL here in 2008 and here was my contribution - an opinion I still hold:

https://www.nairaland.com/163757/secrets-first-class-students#2706290

By the grace of God, I belong to this category. My secret? God's help of course.

But from experience, the following could be useful:

1, NATURAL BRILLIANCE: Most First class grads are naturally brilliant,not strugglers. Sure you still have to read. Yes, you just have to read. But if you see student X and student Y read for 3 hours, subject to the same condition, and X scores 80%(or let's say graduates with with First Class) and Y scores 50%(or more generally, graduates with 2-2), what is at play there is natural brilliance. First Class materials don't struggle academically, they are naturally brilliant. In my class for example, the guy that read most was not among the Top 60 students in class. Likewise, I wasn't among among the Top 20 heaviest readers, if hours spent reading is anything to go by.

2, OPTIMISM & SELF-BELIEF : Most First Class students have self-belief that they can make it, right from year 1. They don't get swayed by the common pessimistic ranting of majority of the students that YOU CAN'TMAKE FIRST CLASS;THEY WONT GIVE YOU. First Class materials dismiss such claims, and go ahead pursuing it.

3, LONG TERM TARGET Most First Class studenst don't use the Fire Brigade approach. It involves setting targets and being conscious of it. I started a conscious pursuit of it right from my year 1. I always targeted A in every course.

4, CALCULATIONS: Most First Class students always have their brains doing calculations and permutations on how to achieve their target.Don't be surprised if you see a First Class reading a purely theoretical course but having calculator by his side.He is using the calculator, not for the course he's reading, but for calcualting stuffs and assumptions like: 'If i had B in this course,what will my GP be?', 'What if I misfire in a 30 marks questions(i.e misinterprete) in this course and eventually score D, won't i drop from First Class'. He will simply take his calculator by his side and work out what his GP will be under these assumptions.I, for one,didn't look at A from the point of scoring 70% but from missing 30 marks. 30 marks is too big to miss in a course.So in any course I didn't miss up to 30, I scored 70% and above and that was A. Later, A became so easy for me. I scored A in 76.6% of all the courses I did from year 1 to 4.

5, COMPETITION: I have always hated playing the second fiddle in my life. I think many First Class students also share this. I can't stand not being among the 'frontliners' anywhere I find myself. So the desire to top my class motivated me to study hard. My class was especially very competitive, and I can't afford not to among the best, if not the best.

3 Likes

Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Dstar4u(m): 1:09pm On Oct 04, 2012
@ Jarus, Thanks in Anticipation
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Jarus(m): 1:33pm On Oct 04, 2012
Dstar4u: @ Jarus, Thanks in Anticipation

I had replied you immediately. Check your mail.
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Dstar4u(m): 2:35pm On Oct 04, 2012
Jarus:

I had replied you immediately. Check your mail.
pls, hw can i chek d mail
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Jarus(m): 2:59pm On Oct 04, 2012
Dstar4u: pls, hw can i chek d mail
Bros, na wa o. Which email address did you use in registering on NL? PMs come as email with the address you registered on NL with. I just replied the mail.
Re: Pls, Tips To Make First Class In OAU Is Needed. Great Ife, Am Looking Up To You by Dstar4u(m): 4:27pm On Oct 04, 2012
Jarus:
Bros, na wa o. Which email address did you use in registering on NL? PMs come as email with the address you registered on NL with. I just replied the mail.
Neva mind me, I've chekd it afa I posted. Thanks bro, u are wondafuly made.

(1) (Reply)

Information Needed On Risk Management Certification / I Need A Career Counselor / Standard Chartered Gallup Personality Test - Urgent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.