Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,986 members, 7,876,728 topics. Date: Monday, 01 July 2024 at 04:16 AM

History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium (1394 Views)

"What Is The History Of Christianity?" / The Cowardice Of Christianity (re; The Cowardice Of Atheism) / The Real History Of Christianity - Was The Crucifixion A Hoax? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by PastorAIO: 11:07am On Sep 28, 2012
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by PastorAIO: 11:08am On Sep 28, 2012
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by PastorAIO: 11:08am On Sep 28, 2012
I found these very enjoyable.
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 28, 2012
I can't watch the vids from my phone.What did they say?
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by Nobody: 12:03pm On Sep 28, 2012
chukwudi44: I can't watch the vids from my phone.What did they say?

They debunked the catholic church's myths grin

I will be watching every bit of it and taking notes, expect some detailed feedback this weekend.
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by PastorAIO: 12:16pm On Sep 28, 2012
frosbel:

They debunked the catholic church's myths grin

They do no such thing. They tell the story of the church some points of which are favourable and others unfavourable. I don't think they say anything that you don't already know, Chukwudi. But it's nice to watch it with pictures and and paintings illustrating the dialogue.
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by JeSoul(f): 2:25pm On Sep 28, 2012
...ah, something to watch when I'm up at 3am. Thanks Pastor. I hope its light on propaganda smiley
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by PastorAIO: 2:39pm On Sep 28, 2012
JeSoul: ...ah, something to watch when I'm up at 3am. Thanks Pastor. I hope its light on propaganda smiley

Something to watch when you're up from 3 am to 6 am. In other words when you are suffering from insomnia. I found that it was quite factual without pushing any agendas.
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 28, 2012
I already know frosbel sees with his mouth and reads with his ass so I fully understand his plight.
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by mkmyers45(m): 3:07pm On Sep 28, 2012
chukwudi44: I already know frosbel sees with his mouth and reads with his ass so I fully understand his plight.
grin grin
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by JeSoul(f): 3:08pm On Sep 28, 2012
Pastor AIO:

Something to watch when you're up from 3 am to 6 am. In other words when you are suffering from insomnia. I found that it was quite factual without pushing any agendas.
Forced insomnia. I'll definitely check out the vids. I was recently looking for some links to a church history thread that was on here years ago, perhaps these vids will substitute nicely.
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by JeSoul(f): 3:09pm On Sep 28, 2012
chukwudi44: I already know frosbel sees with his mouth and reads with his ass so I fully understand his plight.
Chai! cheesy Frosbel see as brother Chukwudi just yabbed you lol.
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by PastorAIO: 11:27am On Sep 29, 2012
Interesting points that have got me thinking include what is said around 31:13. Christians wouldn't participate in public festivals and that made people suspicious of them. It got me thinking about the contrasts of religion as a Civic affair or as a Personal affair.

When a city or nation believes that it's welfare depends on the practice of certain religious festivals and rituals then that is Civic religion. But what happens when your civic duty clashes with your personal beliefs? Can you remain a good citizen of a city of you do not partake in civic rituals? It kinda remains me of an argument that a Moslem made a couple of months ago that apostates of islam can be tried for Treason only in a Moslem country. I can't remember the thread or who made the point but it made sense. If Islam is the state religion then apostasy amounts to Treason.

39:19 Which came first the Eucharist or the Theology of what it means? What did the first Eucharist really mean to those that partook?

43:18 I have often asked if the term 'Logos' in Christian theology is to be understood in the same sense that the greco-romans understood the term. Tertullian apparently considered them the same. He said (to pagan philosophers): "God made this universe by his word reason and power. Your philosophers also agree that the maker of the universe seems to be the Logos, that is word and reason. This Word we have learned was produced by God so therefore is called the Son of God."

Shortly after that they make the interesting point that as christianity became more philosophical the theological aspects became as important or more important than the actual practice of the religion. this is a trend that has gone amok today whereby what makes you a christian is what you THINK about God rather than how you worship him and practice his will.

1 Like

Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by truthislight: 7:43pm On Sep 29, 2012
Pastor AIO:

how can you be the one to tell what is factual?
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by truthislight: 7:45pm On Sep 29, 2012
mkmyers45: grin grin
RCC grinding grin
RCC grinding
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by truthislight: 7:51pm On Sep 29, 2012
Pastor AIO: Interesting points that have got me thinking include what is said around 31:13. Christians wouldn't participate in public festivals and that made people suspicious of them. It got me thinking about the contrasts of religion as a Civic affair or as a Personal affair.

When a city or nation believes that it's welfare depends on the practice of certain religious festivals and rituals then that is Civic religion. But what happens when your civic duty clashes with your personal beliefs? Can you remain a good citizen of a city of you do not partake in civic rituals? It kinda remains me of an argument that a Moslem made a couple of months ago that apostates of islam can be tried for Treason only in a Moslem country. I can't remember the thread or who made the point but it made sense. If Islam is the state religion then apostasy amounts to Treason.

39:19 Which came first the Eucharist or the Theology of what it means? What did the first Eucharist really mean to those that partook?

43:18 I have often asked if the term 'Logos' in Christian theology is to be understood in the same sense that the greco-romans understood the term. Tertullian apparently considered them the same. He said (to pagan philosophers): "God made this universe by his word reason and power. Your philosophers also agree that the maker of the universe seems to be the Logos, that is word and reason. This Word we have learned was produced by God so therefore is called the Son of God."

Shortly after that they make the interesting point that as christianity became more philosophical the theological aspects became as important or more important than the actual practice of the religion. this is a trend that has gone amok today whereby what makes you a christian is what you THINK about God rather than how you worship him and practice his will.

all you have said is devoid of the bible.

(Sorry, i digress)
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by PastorAIO: 8:12pm On Sep 29, 2012
If I were to tell you would you consider my answer to be a fact?

truthislight:
how can you be the one to tell what is factual?
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 29, 2012
na you or chris suppose do pastor aio interview? na which dey e go be na?
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by Ubenedictus(m): 2:25am On Sep 30, 2012
Pastor AIO: Interesting points that have got me thinking include what is said around 31:13. Christians wouldn't participate in public festivals and that made people suspicious of them. It got me thinking about the contrasts of religion as a Civic affair or as a Personal affair.

thats true, i think the early christians became...(i cant seem to get the word)...secluded and kept to themselves because of persecution.
Besides most people look at xtians d way nigerians look at bokoharam.

i believe they came at the same time, in the last supper Jesus said "this is my body" "dis is my blood" paul tells his brother, "the blessing cup that we bless is a communion with the blood of christ"etc. The early bishop always hammered it into the head of the cathecumen that, that which look like visible bread is the body of christ and that which seem like wine is the blood of christ. When my time came to be taught i was taught same only with more words.

i think it has taken man 2000yrs to learn that words cant fully explain the divine. Philosophy and theology flare up wen spiritual men decided to put the spiritual realities in way that can be easyly understood and defended from error. After yrs of trying and looking 4 words to describe the spiritual we end up at the starting point. Our words cannot contain the reality, as the intellect goes on its quest we find that which it describes within our own relationship with God.
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 30, 2012
I love Ubenedictus's responses. They closely resembled what I wanted to say. But I'll go on to render my own thoughts.

Jesus made no bones about the fact that what He brought was necessarily personal. Our tendency to form groups is the natural result of finding that other people have the same focus as oneself. Christianity, even granted that it can be called a religion at all, is no civic thing. It is a very personal relationship that one has with God.

I see your point. One thing that Jesus kept saying of His disciples was that they were not of this world. In other words, they're emissaries from another Place/Kingdom/Nation or journeying men passing through the various cities or nations of this earth in which they may be found. As such, they relate with the customs of the city or nation just like the City to which they owe their allegiance relates to said city or nation. Their civic duty then is defined not by their bodily presence in some geopolitical entity but by their citizenship of Heaven.

Theology is essentially the "wordifying" of Faith. That which comes first is always the Ultimate Reality, following it is mental appreciation. Invert that order and corruption sets in.

If Tertullian said that, he made subtle errors. A human's word is a verbal expression of his thought. In one sense, this is true of the Logos, in another it isn't. The Word is eternally the expression of God's Thought. If you like, that is His Function, but He is no inanimate idea which was transformed into a human being or any being at any point.

Unlike human verbal expressions, the Word is a Being. He is God, not merely spoken by God. He Himself is God. He is the Expression of all God's Thought because He is God. Eternally He embodies the Fullness of God's Thought or Plan or Desire. That is what the Word is.

This does make sense although it is not a very smart complaint.

You are aware, I believe, of Jesus's words to the Samaritan woman, right? To the effect that Samaritans worshipped what they didn't know. What did He go on to say? That God is a Spirit and as such can only be worshipped in spirit and in truth. Truth is of interest here. This is why Jesus's commission to the believers included teaching.

There are two things necessary to keep in mind about truth. The truth that Jesus speaks about is absolute, one. And two, it is truth that should be mentally appreciated. The former ensures elimination of corruption, the latter enables growth.

It is impossible to worship the God of our Lord Jesus if we do not understand Him. Personal relationship includes and, in fact, demands mental intercourse. Therefore must we who are Christians strive to know Him Who has called us and redeemed us and why He has. We may make mistakes as we learn, but the "absoluteness" of the Truth that we have received will always pull us back to the correct. That is how we come into full fellowship with God.
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by 2good(m): 11:07am On Sep 30, 2012
I saw the whole content of the movie for a total of about 6hrs and 4mins and it was really educating. The problem is that most Christians will refuse to watch this movie because they don't want to question their current believes or probe the world around them further. In summary I think history is very important so that one will understand where he/she is coming from.
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by Ubenedictus(m): 8:46pm On Sep 30, 2012
Ihedinobi: I love Ubenedictus's responses.
thanks

Jesus made no bones about the fact that what He brought was necessarily personal. Our tendency to form groups is the natural result of finding that other people have the same focus as oneself. Christianity, even granted that it can be called a religion at all, is no civic thing. It is a very personal relationship that one has with God.
i believe christianity is both personal and communal.
I see your point. One thing that Jesus kept saying of His disciples was that they were not of this world. In other words, they're emissaries from another Place/Kingdom/Nation or journeying men passing through the various cities or nations of this earth in which they may be found. As such, they relate with the customs of the city or nation just like the City to which they owe their allegiance relates to said city or nation. Their civic duty then is defined not by their bodily presence in some geopolitical entity but by their citizenship of Heaven.
pilgrims must live their footprint on d soil

If Tertullian said that, he made subtle errors. A human's word is a verbal expression of his thought. In one sense, this is true of the Logos, in another it isn't. The Word is eternally the expression of God's Thought. If you like, that is His Function, but He is no inanimate idea which was transformed into a human being or any being at any point.
i think we need to put tertullian in context before we condemn him

You are aware, I believe, of Jesus's words to the Samaritan woman, right? To the effect that Samaritans worshipped what they didn't know. What did He go on to say? That God is a Spirit and as such can only be worshipped in spirit and in truth. Truth is of interest here. This is why Jesus's commission to the believers included teaching.

There are two things necessary to keep in mind about truth. The truth that Jesus speaks about is absolute, one. And two, it is truth that should be mentally appreciated. The former ensures elimination of corruption, the latter enables growth.

It is impossible to worship the God of our Lord Jesus if we do not understand Him. Personal relationship includes and, in fact, demands mental intercourse. Therefore must we who are Christians strive to know Him Who has called us and redeemed us and why He has. We may make mistakes as we learn, but the "absoluteness" of the Truth that we have received will always pull us back to the correct. That is how we come into full fellowship with God.
i couldnt put it clearer.
Beautiful words.
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by Ubenedictus(m): 9:13am On Oct 01, 2012
For those wu may want to see what tertullian said, below is the work that was quoted [url]http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0301.htm[/quote] the quote was taken from chapter 21, if u read well u will find that tertullian taught the logos was a divine person not just an attribute of God.
Peace
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by PastorAIO: 1:23pm On Oct 02, 2012
http://www.christian-history.org/logos-of-god.html

This link goes into Tertullian's explanation of the Logos.

Here's Tertullian's very interesting explanation of what logos is:

Observe, then, that when you are silently conversing with yourself, this very process is carried on within you by your reason, which meets you with a word at every movement of your thought … Whatever you think, there is a word … You must speak it in your mind …

Thus, in a certain sense, the word is a second person within you, through which in thinking you utter speech … The word is itself a different thing from yourself. Now how much more fully is all this transacted in God, whose image and likeness you are?
(ibid. 5)

Logos is that voice you hear inside yourself when you are thinking. At least, that's a rough estimation of what logos means. Tertullian goes out of his way to describe it as "a second person within you" because he's bringing up the Logos of God as a second Person of the Trinity.

Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by Ubenedictus(m): 12:35pm On Oct 04, 2012
Pastor AIO: http://www.christian-history.org/logos-of-god.html

This link goes into Tertullian's explanation of the Logos.

great link, i certainly donot agree with everything on that site but d guy got d grips of what tertullian explained about the logos.
Re: History Of Christianity, 1st & 2nd Millenium by PastorAIO: 11:17am On Oct 15, 2012
Has anybody else got any more thoughts on the points made in the videos?

(1) (Reply)

Say Happy Celebration In Your Dialect / Reincarnation Found In The Bible. Mathew 11:11-14 / This 'guy' Lied

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.