Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,128 members, 7,890,777 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 08:17 PM

Php Vs Jsp - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Php Vs Jsp (3452 Views)

PHP Vs Python: Little Challenge / New Nigerian Stock Exchange Website (Moved from jsp to aspx) / Asp Vs Php Vs Coldfusion Vs Jsp ''who's Da Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Php Vs Jsp by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jan 16, 2008
Hello guys, I want you to air your views,
There is this ongoing debate on which is better PHP or JSP

This is my view
I believe in PHP, it is easy to learn and they say "easy is better"

I started with ASP but later found out about PHP so i started using both. With time, i realized ASP is not really my calling.

PHP is fun and i tell you, I haven't seen what you can do with perl, jsp, asp etc that you can't do with PHP.

Above all, PHP is many times faster than jsp. (don't ask me why, google it)
building a web application in JSP is like killing a housefly with a Bazooka

one thing i admire about php is the ease with which i was able to connect to my yahoomail from my website with 10 lines of codes and make it available to my mobile
(since yahoo wap access is not working, i just logon to that page of my website)

I have a java guy and he admits that in regards to pure development time, PHP wins every time.
Java is too big. By the time you factor in all the imports and jar file calls, your code bloats so big that accomplishing the same task in PHP yields smaller (faster) code.

so tell me

Why knock your head over a wall erected by someone's laziness when there is a wall that someone else took the stress to put a door into?

PHP is also easier to work with. It's not that I dislike Java. It's that Java is not the end-all tool for web development---no tool is.

You use the tool that fits right for the task at hand. For my purposes, small and lean apps, I prefer PHP, an easy to use scripting language that is flexible, well supported and well documented.

the good news is that hosting your php files is cheaper with all hosting companies.

so what do you think.
Re: Php Vs Jsp by my2cents(m): 4:42pm On Jan 16, 2008
This is my view
I am glad you clarified. Why? Well your quote below pretty much sums it up.

You use the tool that fits right for the task at hand. For my purposes, small and lean apps, I prefer PHP, an easy to use scripting language that is flexible, well supported and well documented.
If so, then IMHO, you have defeated the purpose of this thread.

the good news is that hosting your php files is cheaper with all hosting companies.
I am with you here.

Finally, you notice how your post is littered with "I" as opposed to say, "research shows"? Just curious. At the end of the day, 99/100 responders to this post could be in favor of one language over the other. However, this wouldn't take away from proven facts as laid out by research.

Above all, PHP is many times faster than jsp. (don't ask me why, google it)
The kind of research I am talking about cool. In the end, no one should believe anything anyone says until they are able to prove it to be true or otherwise for themselves.

Which of these 2 languages am I in favor of? Neither. As you said above, "you use the tool that fits right for the task at hand."

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Php Vs Jsp by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 16, 2008
my2cents:

Finally, you notice how your post is littered with "I" as opposed to say, "research shows"?

Littered because its my view

my2cents:

However, this wouldn't take away from proven facts as laid out by research.

where is your research, i made mine and aired it

my2cents:

Which of these 2 languages am I in favor of? Neither.
I like that, you used the word "I" because thats your view

when talking of desktop apps you can say java is richer, better, this and that than PHP-GTK
but when it comes to web. I tell you, JSP is not the answer. thats what i mean by "you use the tool that fits right for the task at hand."

The kind of research I am talking about Cool. In the end, no one should believe anything anyone says until they are able to prove it to be true or otherwise for themselves.

i am sure you haven't used ur Google(TM)
Re: Php Vs Jsp by my2cents(m): 5:16pm On Jan 16, 2008
Littered because its my view
I, and I am sure others, know that already wink

where is your research, i made mine and aired it
I don't have any. Why? because I am not the one trying to prove/disprove anything. I am here to learn but I certainly won't take anyone's word on anything just because they say so.

I like that, you used the word "I" because thats your view
It sure is grin

when talking of desktop apps you can say java is richer, better, this and that than PHP-GTK
but when it comes to web. I tell you, JSP is not the answer. thats what i mean by "you use the tool that fits right for the task at hand."
You are probably correct, but again, where are the facts to prove it? Now, if you say something like, "from my experience (as in the case of your yahoo mail above)" then I am in your corner. Right now, no offense, I can't sway one way or the other based on "views".

i am sure you haven't used your Google(TM)
You got that right, and guess what? I don't intend to either. why? because I am on the fence on this topic.
Re: Php Vs Jsp by bakenda(m): 9:07pm On Jan 16, 2008
smiley cheesy grin

I am enjoying the dialogue.
More,
Re: Php Vs Jsp by webmaster3: 9:20am On Jan 17, 2008
@ webdezzi. Am a webprogrammer and i use PHP and in my own opinion PHP is far better and faster than other web languagues that i have used and the fact that its not platfrom dependent makes it far better. I have even used PHP to develop complex desktop applications and i will tell you that PHP has a lot of extensions that you can use in developing desktop applications. Thats my own honest opinion. NOte that i'm using "I" in this context.
Re: Php Vs Jsp by Nobody: 10:46am On Jan 17, 2008
@web_master

Yea i can see that you used "I", which i expect others to use also.
Re: Php Vs Jsp by naijatips(m): 3:04pm On Jan 17, 2008
Where are the rest of them
Re: Php Vs Jsp by a3cube: 9:59am On Jan 18, 2008
There is no need to debate on PHP vs JSP. Sun Micro even knows that PHP is better and thats why there is currently a beef. People that won't agreed to this are those who know the native side of PHP and not the OOP part. Class and function declaration as of PHP 5 , and the intro of interface implementation and other, make id spec. So forget it.

PHP for web app #1
JSP for web app #2

Java for standalone #1
PHP-GTK for standalone #2
Re: Php Vs Jsp by my2cents(m): 10:42am On Jan 18, 2008
Class and function declaration as of PHP 5 , and the intro of interface implementation and other, make id spec.

Granted I can't really make out some of the above, still I must say that this is what I am looking for when it comes to giving reason as to y one is better than the other wink
Re: Php Vs Jsp by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jan 20, 2008
I actually hate it when people say one language is better than the other. When i started out about 10 years ago with visual basic 6.0, many of my friends went for visual c++ 6.0 and said vc++ was more powerful, but with vb 6.0 then i was able to builder very nice and fairly portable desktop application, later i learnt vc++, i find it more powerful than vb 6.0, but most of the desktop applications i design are still faster and easier with vb, so i use the best for the task at hand, like my2cents said.
As per web programming, i use perl,asp,php and asp.NET, but out of all i find php fastest to use, but i realize that instances come when you maky find that the best option may be jsp, or asp or asp.NET. Possible your client may be using a windows server wich only support asp,
I believe you should be able to handle the task at hand with the best option at hand depending on requirements.
But if i were to choose my most favorite language out of all the server-sided languages, i would say php, because i have worked with php for several years and have a huge php archive that solves most of my everyday needs on websites. I even developed a mail server something like www.37.com way back with php [took me a month], and that increased my respect for php.
Re: Php Vs Jsp by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jan 21, 2008
Interesting contribution

dhtml:

Possible your client may be using a windows server wich only support asp

Windows server now supports php and many windows hosting companies are already making php available on their windows packages

but you are right, what if your client has already purchased a hosting that has no support for php, you will have to use the best tool for the task at hand.
Re: Php Vs Jsp by a3cube: 8:50pm On Jan 21, 2008
webdezzi:

what if your client has already purchased a hosting that has no support for php, you will have to use the best tool for the task at hand.

You hardly fine a server that doesn't support PHP and Windows has always been in support of PHP. As of CF7, you can run CF on linux with some complex configuration. But with simple steps(thanks to open source) you will install PHP on any system easily, even linux servers.

It's always funny to me when I see people saying PHP coding is easy. Anyway, it is cause it has the native part unlike most prog. langs and maybe those who say that needs to work in a group environment where by you will have to use OOP and some rules will be implemented.

Ruby is coming fine with OOP from scratch and I love it as Ajax is been embedded in it. There are lots of web programming that are good also. Mainly, you have to put your webserver into consideration. I mean Apache, IIS and lot more
Re: Php Vs Jsp by my2cents(m): 9:44pm On Jan 21, 2008
what if your client has already purchased a hosting that has no support for php, you will have to use the best tool for the task at hand.
and letz not forget folks: if the client is rich enough, they can always buy their own server(s) upon which you can install anything grin
Re: Php Vs Jsp by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jan 21, 2008
ITBeings:

You hardly fine a server that doesn't support PHP and Windows has always been in support of PHP. As of CF7, you can run CF on linux with some complex configuration. But with simple steps(thanks to open source) you will install PHP on any system easily, even linux servers.

Hardly, what if your client purchased that hard to find one

ITBeings:

It's always funny to me when I see people saying PHP coding is easy. Anyway, it is cause it has the native part unlike most prog. langs and maybe those who say that needs to work in a group environment where by you will have to use OOP and some rules will be implemented.

Please let us know, are you saying it is hard (i just want to be sure i finally found someone who said so)? I have worked using the object oriented programming feature of PHP and i still find it easy, easy because i know it.

I figured something out with my experience working in a group environment, anything you know becomes easy to you and hard to others

my2cents:

and letz not forget folks: if the client is rich enough, they can always buy their own server(s) upon which you can install anything grin

In that case, i will recommend what ITBeings said

ITBeings:

As of CF7, you can run CF on linux with some complex configuration. But with simple steps(thanks to open source) you will install PHP on any system easily, even linux servers.

if it is true
Re: Php Vs Jsp by a3cube: 1:19am On Jan 22, 2008
Don't get me wrong bro. A common statement about Java is 'It's Hard'. You may ask, why is it that pple say Java is hard? it's just the complexity in it. Java is as simple as PHP but one of the difference is the method naming in java whereas php functions are like english language. When you start working with complex functions(that are hard to remember) in PHP you shld know what am talking about interms of hardness. PHP is easy for me and I can write it in my double dreams(dream in dreams), and it's my #1. so don't get me wrong.

(1) (Reply)

Let's Get Thousands Of Comment On Our Blog Posts / How To Get Free Money From Atm's? / Google Analytics: Is A High Bounce Rate Bad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.