Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,439 members, 7,920,661 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 10:45 AM

Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating (868 Views)

Ita-Giwa: What Jonathan Told Me After He Conceded To Buhari / What Jonathan Told Buhari On Phone / Nigeria Corruption Rating Is Political, Overblown – Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by Stallion77(f): 7:23am On Oct 02, 2012
President Jonathan Told the Truth on Nigeria's Corruption Rating

An opposition site whose candidate lost out in the last presidential election has challenged the Independence Day speech of President Jonathan in which he said “In its latest report, Transparency International (TI) noted that Nigeria is the second most improved country in the effort to curb corruption.”

Accusing the President of lying, the site claimed to have contacted Transparency International to put the lie to the claim.

However NaijaPundit's investigation shows that the President was correct in his claim and in evidence we reproduce a story from BusinessDay from the 12th of September. To read the story directly from BuusinessDay click here or read it below;

The Federal Government’s fight against corruption is paying-off in the global arena as a survey by Transparency International (TI) shows Nigeria’s corruption perception has improved.

The survey on global corruption perceptions for 2011 versus 2001 showed that the third best improvement in the world was in Nigeria, with its score improving by 1.5 points. In the scoring, Nigeria follows the United States of America, which scored 2 points, while Bangladesh scored the highest by 2.3 points.

Also in the survey, the corruption perception score showed that Nigeria displaced Zambia, Mauritius, Uganda, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Botswana, Senegal, Cote d’Ivore, Malawi, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Egypt, Namibia, and Tunisia.

Barely one year ago, the Co-ordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, had vowed to tackle corruption in the country, saying the move would help the ministry to effectively deliver on its mandate.

Okonjo-Iweala was appointed last year by President Goodluck Jonathan to restore some order to Nigeria’s public finance. A former World Bank managing director, she is battling to reform one of the world’s most corrupt nations, without support from the shadowy “godfathers” who wield power from behind the scenes.

Nigeria scored higher than countries like Poland, South Korea, Indonesia, Japan, Belgium, Romania, Latvia, Bolivia, Estonia, Slovenia, Germany, Turkey, Hong Kong, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, India, Norway, Azerbaijani, Ecuador, Australia, France, Sweden, Costa Rica, Slovakia, Vietnam, and Kenya.

Other countries Nigeria scored higher than are Taiwan, Ukraine, Thailand, Pakistan, Russia, China, Croatia, Nicaragua, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Ireland, Kazakhstan, Austria, Singapore, Lithuania, Denmark, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Luxembourg, Portugal, Moldova, Brazil, Canada, the Philippines, Chile, Columbia, Jordan, Panama, Finland, Argentina, the Dominican Republic, the United Kingdom, Uruguay, Bulgaria, Malaysia, Peru, Mexico, Hungary, Spain, Greece, Venezuela, Iceland, Uzbekistan, Italy, Israel, and Trinidad and Tobago.

The survey further showed that nine Sub-Sahara Africa (SSA) countries have seen improving scores against five SSA countries that saw a decline (Namibia and South Africa) from high scores previously.

Two North African countries saw a big decline – and that may have contributed to the regime change which saw autocrats deposed in those countries. “The middle class in Tunisia was particularly incensed by the corruption in their country,” said Charlie Robertson, Managing Director, Global Chief Economist, Renaissance Capital.

http://www.naijapundit.com/news/president-jonathan-told-the-truth-on-nigeria-s-corruption-rating

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by KingSolomonI: 7:58am On Oct 02, 2012
Just exactly what i thought... No comments on this post but check the false report about GEJ lying. NLanders flocked there like ants on sugar...lets be objective even as we criticize...being biased wont help us.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by Johnchike(m): 8:06am On Oct 02, 2012
I support GEJ.
Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by Gbawe: 8:28am On Oct 02, 2012
King Solomon I: Just exactly what i thought... No comments on this post but check the false report about GEJ lying. NLanders flocked there like ants on sugar...lets be objective even as we criticize...being biased wont help us.

I have already commented elsewhere about this pathetic attempt to spin GEJ out of trouble. I really cannot understand why some of you are supporting blatant dishonesty to the point you reject what is very obvious to even a child.

Perhaps a simple example will make things clear. I am director of a company only between 2010 and 2011. Profit has officially fallen under my leadership. I then talk , at a shareholders meeting, about profit being greater in 2011 than 2001. How many of you , if shareholders, will not lambaste me for my dishonest effort to use the good work of others to mask my officially document failing for the period I have been in charge? Like I concluded elsewhere, this so-called proof that GEJ is telling the "truth" is more spam attempting to bombard folks with deceit till they give in and accept deceit as 'truth'. This sycophantic efforts only makes things worse for GEJ. Mark my word, opposition Parties, prominent Nigerians and social critics will pick up what I have noted and they will conclude the same thing. GEJ was attempting to deceive Nigerians.

Have you even read the article you supply here? Why are you guys doing this? It is an embarrassment to Nigeria because non-Nigerians will simply conclude we are 'hardened' and revel in being fed lies.

It is nauseating below to read about "Enemy Presidential candidate who lost out" when we should all be facing facts. Even a fool will appreciate that GEJ cannot talk about 2001 to 2011 while failing to acknowledge that the Nation has suffered setbacks against corruption under him. That is highly dishonest. It is a horrible and shameful attempt to use gains achieved under others to mask officially corroborated and direct failings under his watch. I am afraid your 'proof' below is another desperate spam pandering to the notion that a lie becomes the 'truth' if repeated many times. It is embarrassing how, for GEJ and his sycophants, leadership is now totally reduced to a desperate attempt to blame "enemies" for everything.
Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by 1800bc(f): 10:22am On Oct 02, 2012
Gbawe:

I have already commented elsewhere about this pathetic attempt to spin GEJ out of trouble. I really cannot understand why some of you are supporting blatant dishonesty to the point you reject what is very obvious to even a child.

Perhaps a simple example will make things clear. I am director of a company only between 2010 and 2011. Profit has officially fallen under my leadership. I then talk , at a shareholders meeting, about profit being greater in 2011 than 2001. How many of you , if shareholders, will not lambaste me for my dishonest effort to use the good work of others to mask my officially document failing for the period I have been in charge? Like I concluded elsewhere, this so-called proof that GEJ is telling the "truth" is more spam attempting to bombard folks with deceit till they give in and accept deceit as 'truth'. This sycophantic efforts only makes things worse for GEJ. Mark my word, opposition Parties, prominent Nigerians and social critics will pick up what I have noted and they will conclude the same thing. GEJ was attempting to deceive Nigerians.

hmmmn... you speak or do i say comment like a semi-literate person! what kinda example is that? how can you compare running a company with a Nation? Ur perspective sounds very narrow and cant be used as a point regardless of whether u have commented somewhere else or not...
Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by usmanyaro17: 10:42am On Oct 02, 2012
Gbawe:

Perhaps a simple example will make things clear. I am director of a company only between 2010 and 2011. Profit has officially fallen under my leadership. I then talk , at a shareholders meeting, about profit being greater in 2011 than 2001. How many of you , if shareholders, will not lambaste me for my dishonest effort to use the good work of others to mask my officially document failing for the period I have been in charge? Like I concluded elsewhere, this so-called proof that GEJ is telling the "truth" is more spam attempting to bombard folks with deceit till they give in and accept deceit as 'truth'. This sycophantic efforts only makes things worse for GEJ. Mark my word, opposition Parties, prominent Nigerians and social critics will pick up what I have noted and they will conclude the same thing. GEJ was attempting to deceive Nigerians. when are skeptics like you ever see anything in Naija,u want to tell me that GEJ will just cook lies and tell us,I don't believe so,even the opposition are always looking for bad news,I wonder where unrealistic criticisms will take us too.

Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by Gbawe: 10:59am On Oct 02, 2012
1800bc:

hmmmn... you speak or do i say comment like a semi-literate person! what kinda example is that? how can you compare running a company with a Nation? Ur perspective sounds very narrow and cant be used as a point regardless of whether u have commented somewhere else or not...

A very pertinent one that shows sensible stakeholders cannot be fooled with a deceitful attempt by any leader to use the achievement of others to distract from failure/poor performance. Don't blame me if a comprehension deficit leads you to believe anyone is comparing running a Nation to running a Company.

Your recourse to insult only shows what Nairaland is. It is common around here for some to resort to insult when they have no intellectual capacity for debate. It is those who lack the intellect or 'literacy' to make their point who limit themselves to attacking others on this forum. Give your comment on the thread topic and and move on.
Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by Vegetablesoup: 11:05am On Oct 02, 2012
i am started to begin to wondering where people get their informating from? ok which one is the mostly corrected one now? confusing is occured to me!
Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by Israelmossaic: 11:07am On Oct 02, 2012
Vegetable soup: i am started to begin to wondering where people get their informating from? ok which one is the mostly corrected one now? confusing is occured to me!
Are you a Cameroonian? No kill us with grammar o
Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by Johnchike(m): 11:18am On Oct 02, 2012
Vegetable soup: i am started to begin to wondering where people get their informating from? ok which one is the mostly corrected one now? confusing is occured to me!

LOL
Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by KingSolomonI: 11:24am On Oct 02, 2012
Vegetable soup has a point to make but lacks alot of organisation! He speaks like a machine gun firing randomly! Lord help us!
Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by Joeadamu86: 11:44am On Oct 02, 2012
I think there is hope in the fight against corruption,we as citizens must be corrupt free too,the vice is not restricted to govt officials alone,we are all involved.
Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by yanni1(m): 12:28pm On Oct 02, 2012
ok he did.
Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by koruji(m): 12:47pm On Oct 02, 2012
Re: Jonathan Told The Truth On Nigeria's Corruption Rating by banki(m): 1:21pm On Oct 02, 2012
ok i guess the op wants us to accept that the president did not lie about the corruption index, ok i believe you.

I dont need transperency international to know that nothing is working in this country as a result of corruption, i dont need transperency international to tell me that michelen and dunlop and coca cola prefer Ghana to prduce thier goods than nigeria, I dont neeed transperency international to tell me that the reason why nigerians are dieing from road accidents is mainly because of the bad roads, I dont need transperency international to tell me that the presiden has fixed the hospitals in nigeria but his wife is on a sick bed in germany, i dont need transperency international to tell me that the president is a member of the PDP and a leader of the party where the chairman of PPRA also holds sway, I also know that the presidency oversees all agencies and departments the judiciaryetc and yet the real nigerian doesnt have food on his table.

Transperecy international doesnt have to tell us that the presidency ran one of the most expensive campaings ever with state funds and mostly from funds of corrupt business men.... transperency international doesnt need to tell the average nigerian that the presidency speaks from both sides of the mouth.

The same presidency and government want to reduce cost of governance by increasing the amount of jets in thier fleet, by increasing the number of aides and ministers?, by having a feeding budget of 1billion naira.

The same government wants to reduce external and domestic debt but goes around borrowing? the same government wants to privatise and deregulate, but wants to nationalize airlines and control airports?

haba

(1) (Reply)

If You Were President: What Change Would You Bring / Gov Wada Tells Doctors Not To Fly Him Abroad While Deputy Holidays In London• / Amaechi Promises 20-hours Power Supply In Rivers State By March

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.