Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,948 members, 7,949,259 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 12:27 AM

Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk (8813 Views)

Why Mechanics Hate 2003-2007 Corrolla / Genuine Accord 2003-2007 Service Manual Download / Any Experience With 2003-2007 Nissan Murano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by BizBooks(m): 10:56am On Oct 02, 2012
I heard this on the news this morning. This recall is for V6 engines. So if you don't
drive one, you don't have to worry. Though the recall has been announced, Honda will not
start replacing the parts until January 2013 which is strange.

DETROIT — Honda is recalling 600,000 Accord midsize cars in the U.S. and Canada to fix
a faulty power steering hose that can leak fluid and cause a fire.

The recall affects Accords with V-6 engines from the 2003 through 2007 model years.
Honda has a report of one fire but no injuries or crashes.

The five-passenger Accord is consistently among the top-selling vehicles in the United
States, mainly because of its reputation for reliability and fuel economy. For years it
has been the nation's second-best-selling car, beaten only by the Toyota Camry.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the government agency that monitors
vehicle safety, said in a posting on its website during the weekend that the Accord's
power steering hose can deteriorate with prolonged exposure to engine heat. The hoses
can crack and leak, possibly causing a fire or loss of power-assisted steering
, the
documents said.

Honda will replace the hoses for free, but it won't have the parts available until early
next year. Any owner who suspects a leak should take their car to a dealer for inspection,
Honda spokesman Ed Miller said Monday.

The company that makes the Accord's power-steering hoses had to ramp up manufacturing to
make them since the affected cars are more than five model years old and the hoses were
out of production, Miller said.

"We're going to start making them and getting them out there as soon as we can," he said.

The Accords are being added to a May recall of 53,000 Acura TL midsize luxury cars in the
U.S. from the 2007 and 2008 model years. Acura is Honda's luxury brand.

The replacement hoses for the Accords are different from the hoses in the original Acura
recall, Honda said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/01/honda-accord-recall-2012_n_1929735.html
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 02, 2012
Wow. Guess folks in Nigeria have to wait for parts to be available.
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by calculusx(m): 1:49pm On Oct 02, 2012
And what provision do they have for Honda Accord V6 owners outside United State and Canada? Thanks for the info bizbooks
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by stolenstone: 1:49pm On Oct 02, 2012
whoaaaa!!!!! What of the ones wey dey naija na?? What's their fate??
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by pato405(m): 1:50pm On Oct 02, 2012
when are they calling for the gear-boxes? should the ones in 9ja be shipped back?
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by Areaboy2(m): 1:52pm On Oct 02, 2012
Well, i've never been impressed by the 2003-2007 accord. Particularly the v6

However i'm surprised they are recalling the TL(2007-2008) too? that's on a totally different platform from the accord. Strange!

That means no more Type-S TL for me sad
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by Jarus(m): 1:52pm On Oct 02, 2012
After I had bought, used and sold my own cheesy
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by 001solar(m): 1:53pm On Oct 02, 2012
HQ: Wow. Guess folks in Nigeria have to wait for parts to be available.

I trust naija peeps dem go find another way out, no b today oooo
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by ibsmooth: 1:53pm On Oct 02, 2012
You said US and Canada but my brother there is cause for alarm being that most of these Honda Accord under review are from these countries.Annoying as it may sound,we don't care about safety let alone fluid.God is our strength but one thing is for sure,Most of US and Canadian owners of Honda Accord(2003-2007)will not use them until repairs is/are effected.
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by DeGenius3(m): 1:57pm On Oct 02, 2012
thank God o.

i'm no longer using a Honda
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by emenim(m): 2:04pm On Oct 02, 2012
If that is the case i think it's high time i let my uncle know about this, because he has the same car that is just mentioned here, but how is he going to return the car back,Is it to their company here in Nigeria or the one at abroad?
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by 190: 3:09pm On Oct 02, 2012
what about the 190 are they recalling that too
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by Learn2know: 3:36pm On Oct 02, 2012
Area_boy: Well, i've never been impressed by the 2003-2007 accord. Particularly the v6

However i'm surprised they are recalling the TL(2007-2008) too? that's on a totally different platform from the accord. Strange!

That means no more Type-S TL for me sad
the Acura TL Type-s is not affected by the recall on TL
I have the 2008 tl navi base, the recall for this started since last year,
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by BizBooks(m): 3:40pm On Oct 02, 2012
ibsmooth: You said US and Canada but my brother there is cause for alarm being that most of these Honda Accord under review are from these countries...

You are right. If you own a V6 2003 - 2007 Accord shipped from the US or Canada, the recall
affects you. On the bright side, the statistical significance of an Accord catching fire as
a result of this problem is rather small. If it were not, Honda would have advised all
affected owners to cease driving their Accords immediately and not wait until 2013. I own a
V6 Accord and intend to keep driving it until the repair is done.
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 02, 2012
hey, can u imagine this? So it is now Honda is discovering this problem? I had issues, some 3yrs ago, with my Honda accord 2004, I was driving, only for me to notice smoke from my bonnet, I thot my engine was over heating, I parked and allow the thing cool down, got water to put inside the radiator, only to see it was still filled up, confused, I started d car n continued on my way, only for it to repeat again, when I got home with d smoke and all, I checked, only to discover the power steering hose leaking oil on the manifold, causing d smoke!
Honda it took u 9yrs to discover this? hmmm, I might just change this my 2010 model,
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by chucky234(m): 4:00pm On Oct 02, 2012
Fire ke,abeg I go start to dey push my EOD dey go US small small,after all one bros for NL wan trek from Lagos to Maduiguri.
Make una help me find out how many kilometers and how many days wey e go take me to push the EOD reach NY,I sure say power horse go gree sponsor me for this adventure.
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by jonnywest(m): 4:53pm On Oct 02, 2012
Vry funny
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by mu2sa2: 8:11pm On Oct 02, 2012
No car can be 100% safe. If u dont hav problems with yours just thank God.
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by wirewire(m): 9:05pm On Oct 02, 2012
Am afraid I just noticed sometin licking exactly same place as directed on ma 504 peaguot,waiting wen they will recall theirs

1 Like

Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by pak: 10:30pm On Oct 02, 2012
BizBooks:

You are right. If you own a V6 2003 - 2007 Accord shipped from the US or Canada, the recall
affects you. On the bright side, the statistical significance of an Accord catching fire as
a result of this problem is rather small. If it were not, Honda would have advised all
affected owners to cease driving their Accords immediately and not wait until 2013. I own a
V6 Accord and intend to keep driving it until the repair is done.

Oga Bizbooks,
I have a US model V6 Accord shocked, can you help me collect the hose when they start distributing so that I can collect it from you later grin

On a more serious note, I can testify to the problem with the power steering hose.
The stuff started leaking at some point , leading to some mild smoke.
Thank God it didn't end up burning the car but then it destroyed my power steering pump (please tell the Honda guys to also remember to replace my pump while they are at it).

However, I was advised to replace the hose with that of a babyboy by mechanics who said the babyboy's hose was stronger (and for once Nigerian mechanics were right).

Its been almost a year and a half now and I've not had any major issues with it.
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by pak: 10:32pm On Oct 02, 2012
wirewire: Am afraid I just noticed sometin licking exactly same place as directed on ma 504 peaguot,waiting wen they will recall theirs

Peugeot replace what ? You better go to ladipo sharply ( . . just joking )
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by plendil: 11:09pm On Oct 02, 2012
What's with Honda and its frequents recalls, especially this accord brand, undoubtedly their best selling model?

I remember they had to do a similar recall for the Honda 2000-2001 model (baby boy) v6 engines, when it was discovered a majority of them were having gear problems. Is it that they don't run enough tests on the vehicles before they're pushed into the market? perhaps in order not be outdone by Toyota?

They berra sit up before toyota takes over their market.

Not that I particularly like Honda anyway. . .
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by pak: 11:31pm On Oct 02, 2012
plendil: What's with Honda and its frequents recalls, especially this accord brand, undoubtedly their best selling model?

I remember they had to do a similar recall for the Honda 2000-2001 model (baby boy) v6 engines, when it was discovered a majority of them were having gear problems. Is it that they don't run enough tests on the vehicles before they're pushed into the market? perhaps in order not be outdone by Toyota?

They berra sit up before toyota takes over their market.

Not that I particularly like Honda anyway. . .

Check your facts bro,
Toyota has had far more recall issues in recent years than Honda.

You are right about the gear issues though and it persisted even up to the 2007 model

1 Like

Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by bknight: 5:39am On Oct 03, 2012
The resulting effect of this on nigeria is not that owners of this honda accord 2003-2007 will ship their cars back to d usa but that owners of this brand in d Usa may not wait till d said time, they'd sell them off at cheap rates and guess what? these cars find their ways to d dumping site...where else? grin

angry.
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by Josh316(m): 9:48am On Oct 04, 2012
Na wah o! that explains why my power steering fluid keeps dropping for no reason! but HOW do we ship these cars back to US? na wah o! they should rather open something like a car clinic to attend to these problems, country by country as it would be cheaper than shipping a car to the US and shipping it back to your country after the replacement has been done...
Re: Honda Recalls 2003 - 2007 Accords Due To Fire Risk by RoyalRoy(m): 11:29am On Oct 04, 2012
pak:

However, I was advised to replace the hose with that of a babyboy by mechanics who said the babyboy's hose was stronger. Its been almost a year and a half now and I've not had any major issues with it.

Please can you confidently confirm that Babyboy hose works perfectly? Planning on getting an Accord and IT MUST BE A V6..... I will just change the hose immediately I buy it.

(1) (Reply)

Does Third Party Insurance Work In Nigeria? / Engine Flush / Is This Car Worth N1.55 Million? See Pictures.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.