Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,279 members, 7,970,993 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 07:20 PM

Juyinlo Toluwalase: How US Embassy Is Discriminating Against Pregnant Women - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Juyinlo Toluwalase: How US Embassy Is Discriminating Against Pregnant Women (551 Views)

Akpabio’s Vehicle Collided With Ours – US Embassy / US Embassy Alleges Massive Rigging In Rivers, Akwa Ibom / Jonathan Appointing Only Xtians,discriminating Against Muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Juyinlo Toluwalase: How US Embassy Is Discriminating Against Pregnant Women by Walecole74: 10:47am On Oct 03, 2012
The United States’ embassy in Nigeria seems to have perfected the art of denying well-meaning and legitimate non-immigrant Nigerian mothers visa for reasons best known to it. At the end of visa interview sessions, what one hears is, ‘’You are not qualified at this time’’!

Women of child-bearing age are asked questions such as: Are you pregnant at this time? How many children do you have? Do you plan to have more children? And if the response to any of these questions is in the affirmative, then the next set of questions may be: Do you plan to have the baby in America? Can you afford to pay the medical bills? You are probably asked to show evidence and even after showing evidence you are told mostly that you do not qualify at this time or that you should reapply after having your baby.

Please note that there have been cases when female applicants did not even know they were pregnant during the interview and later discovered in the weeks to follow! Obviously, a married woman who is sexually active can become pregnant at anytime even with the use of contraceptives. Asking these kinds of questions during interviews is not a way to determine the purpose of the interview, which is to determine if the visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Finding out if an applicant is pregnant or plan to become pregnant soon, has nothing to do with the application but is an unnecessary invasion of privacy.

Moreover in Africa, questions like these are very sensitive as people like to keep such information private until the pregnancy becomes advanced. If one may ask, is the visa meant to be an agreement to celibacy in marriage? In my own case, I had used my American visa many times for holiday and even business before deciding to make use of the medical facilities available in the US to have my baby. I also decided to do this because I developed some complications during the pregnancy and decided to seek better health care. Why then would a consular officer overlook all the business transactions done and deny an applicant for the simple reason of having a baby in America?

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/10/03/how-us-embassy-discriminate-pregnant-women/
Re: Juyinlo Toluwalase: How US Embassy Is Discriminating Against Pregnant Women by Callotti: 10:50am On Oct 03, 2012
No discrimination if you can PAY for your medical treatment.
Pregnant or not. kiss
Re: Juyinlo Toluwalase: How US Embassy Is Discriminating Against Pregnant Women by blacksta(m): 10:59am On Oct 03, 2012
I dont blame the US embassy - Nigerians are known to be system abusers.

(1) (Reply)

Ondo Gubernatorial Governopship Election, Ondo Decides Governor. / Mimiko Still The Governor Of Ondo State / Gabon Sends 215 Nigerians Packing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.