Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,753 members, 7,938,306 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 10:21 PM

EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe (21268 Views)

N45.9bn Fraud: EFCC To Try Tompolo Separately / Buhari Orders EFCC To Probe Ex Service Chiefs,Serving & Former Military Leaders / 4 Priests Beaten To Pulp As Enugu Govt Battles Anglican Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 04, 2012
Pukkah: There can be no actual progress or nation-building until Nigerians purge themselves of tribal/ethnic/religious sentiments especially when they approach critical issues or tough decisions.

Let the law enforcement agencies perform their duties.

Thank you very much pukkah. U said it all.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Nobody: 8:32pm On Oct 04, 2012
In an attempt to defend the indefensible... Some otherwise and supposedly intelligent folks on NL are sounding really so stupid on this thread.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by seankenny01(m): 8:38pm On Oct 04, 2012
EFCC must be very careful in what it thinks its about to do, by arresting Revd Fathers. If indeed that money is for tithe, I don't believe the money would av been transferred to d church acct not d Revds acct. It wuld av been a crime if d money was transferred to d Revds acct on behalf of d catholic churcg. I just hope EFCC won't try to arrest d church if it find out that Revd Fathers did not collect any tithe on behalf of d church...
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by bbpreye2: 8:40pm On Oct 04, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

How slow is your brain to understand simple explanation? Look nobody has time to know who pay tithe and who did not pay. Tithe is a secret covenant one has with God and it's a spiritual excises so stop twisting it to make it look like the church or Rev whom the man paid the tithes in the church they manage are criminals, because i know too well that is where you are driving to. Mind you catholic church is not like other Pentecostal churches where one man can own and control all the donor and monetary affairs.

U're a big idi.ot! Catholic indeed, who talked about pentecostal churches here? Face the topic and stop talking rubbish!

Waste of spermatozoa..
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by manosteel(m): 8:41pm On Oct 04, 2012
What have we done to Farouk Lawal, Oteodola? Most times, we channel our energies pursuing showdows and forget about the real thing.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by solomonkane(m): 8:46pm On Oct 04, 2012
On the topic itself, I have no issues whatsoever with EFCC calling the priests in for questioning to establish the fact that they did not breach the Money Laundering Act in any way. They should cast their net wide and also invite Mr. Daddy Papa G.O to explain the over 20 billion Naira import waiver Redeemed was given under OBJ. Holy Slapper a.k.a Conman Oyedepo too should come and explain where he got money to purchase four private jets. Religious houses of worship have become home to filth, criminality and other vices and should be condemned by all Nigerians be it Christian, Muslim, Animist, Atheist, Agnostic, Scientologist e.t.c.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by ojeffo: 8:54pm On Oct 04, 2012
maclatunji:

Of course and they don't ask questions about how a single man can afford to give such huge amounts away without stealing or some other form of crime. Even Dangote can't give away N1 billion without putting his business in danger. He can only make such donations to fuel political campaigns to get $1 billion in return.
¶ jst feel like spitting on all these idiioots that are posting trash here in d name of trying to defend their socalled Rev Fr(s).Receiving stolen money in d name of tithe is even d least of crimes and taboos committed by these clowns called catholic Priests.It is now a common knowledge that they engage in homosexuality to d point of abusing little boys of 10 yrs old.In Nigeria,some of them sleep with the girls of their parish(¶ hv evidence of this) and some even sleep with d wives of their parishioners(¶ also hv evidence of this).So ¶ dnt understand whz some of d f.ools here r crying because EFCC wants to arrest d catholic clergy for baptising and receiving stolen money.And pls ¶ must add this,for all dese ignorant fools pouring jibberish trash about tithing...There is never a way sum1 can pay a tithe to these Priests w/out them knowing who did.They even give them car gifts and other things.PLS DNT LET ME EXPOSE U GUYS ON A PUBLIC FORUM..
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by surmeister(m): 8:58pm On Oct 04, 2012
maclatunji:

You are implying that N35 million and N10 million were delivered in cash to the two churches and the clergymen were "blissfully" ignorant of the donor?
help me ask him o.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by bigmaut: 8:58pm On Oct 04, 2012
1025:

you are mentally retarded and ur efcc do not have anything to offer.
nobody asks anybody to go and still to pay tithe but if anyone goes to arrest a rev father over such, the fire of God will burn that one to ashes.
nnnyyyee of God will burn nyat one to ashes which God recieve stolen money?yu mean a priest is not diff.frm d rest of us that he is not holy or spiritual 2 discern stolen money? even okijajuju/priest dnt recieve stolen money,Look my friend it is a sin 2 recieve stolen ppty wether man or God yes na me talk amangry angry angry angry
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Meddler(f): 8:59pm On Oct 04, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

Your point is understandable still you failed to realize that big churches like catholic church redeem etc that has a lots number of top men do receive tithes of 1billion naira talk of 45million.

True talk but such an amount is traceable. You can't stuff that amount into the tithe envelope or drop it off in front of the priest door anonymously.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by bbpreye2: 8:59pm On Oct 04, 2012
ojeffo:
¶ jst feel like spitting on all these idiioots that are posting trash here in d name of trying to defend their socalled Rev Fr(s).Receiving stolen money in d name of tithe is even d least of crimes and taboos committed by these clowns called catholic Priests.It is now a common knowledge that they engage in homosexuality to d point of abusing little boys of 10 yrs old.In Nigeria,some of them sleep with the girls of their parish(¶ hv evidence of this) and some even sleep with d wives of their parishioners(¶ also hv evidence of this).So ¶ dnt understand whz some of d f.ools here r crying because EFCC wants to arrest d catholic clergy for baptising and receiving stolen money.And pls ¶ must add this,for all dese ignorant fools pouring jibberish trash about tithing...There is never a way sum1 can pay a tithe to these Priests w/out them knowing who did.They even give them car gifts and other things.PLS DNT LET ME EXPOSE U GUYS ON A PUBLIC FORUM..

God bless you!
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 04, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

Don't be stupiid in church you don't write your name on tithes. Tithes usually come with envelop and go into tithe box. Rev's don't know who and who pay their tithes, when it's time for tithes members who want to pay their tithe will move to the alter and pay tithes they don't hand it over to the priest hand to hand.
Shut-up ya mouth there, in sum churches dey write names. U b fool abi waitin? Jst insult anyhow. Idiot!!
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by djkaneo(m): 9:06pm On Oct 04, 2012
usmanyaro17: Was he compelled to pay the tithes,I don't blame the vicar in anyway,how will he know that it's a fraudulent money knowing the man's position in the society.

a tithe of 35million.....that's 10% of 3.5billion!!! Where does he work....FORT KNOX?
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by crisycent: 9:08pm On Oct 04, 2012
Tithe is not by force....the reverend fathers have no case to answer...chi kena!!!
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by djkaneo(m): 9:09pm On Oct 04, 2012
9ja_I_hail:

Your point is understandable still you failed to realize that big churches like catholic church redeem etc that has a lots number of top men do receive tithes of 1billion naira talk of 45million.

tithe of 1billion and the payee no dey forbes list......I dnt know wat makes u guys dumb, but it works!!!
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by olede: 9:11pm On Oct 04, 2012
As many whose hand will be involed in this case are only inviting the wraught of God upon their generation. Watch and see how EFCC will die one after the other. Hon. Faruk what has efcc done concerning him. To hell with efcc.

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by flexya: 9:11pm On Oct 04, 2012
If someone donated £100k to the Church of England, the Serious Fraud Office will be invited to investigate the source irrespective of how anonymously the tithe was given. Am sure same will happen in the vatican but in Nigeria, where even the house of God ia part of the corrupt system, no questions are asked.

I hear prayers like "ppl will be searchin for u to give u million". Do I hear amen? Whole congregation shouts amen without thinkin dat the millions could be proceeds of crime.

The law is simple, no one can be left to benefit from the proceeds of crime. If the law can proof the income has a criminal root, then the beneficiary must also be able to av reasonable suspicion of such criminal source.

Good test case for efcc. It goes beyond churches and mosques. Musicians at parties, runs girls, relatives of politicians etc will later follow

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Meddler(f): 9:14pm On Oct 04, 2012
djkaneo:

a tithe of 35million.....that's 10% of 3.5billion!!! Where does he work....FORT KNOX?

Abi oooooo. Seriously receiving such an amount shud have warranted some questioning from the clergy men. It wasn't 1 million or 3 million. But a whopping 35 million. Seriously eh? In naija of all places where philantrophy is only used as a means to an end. Deductive reasoning shud have told him something was up or he shud asked more questions.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Raxz(m): 9:14pm On Oct 04, 2012
As a Christian, in as much i do nt sourpot the act of some individual who stole money belonging to the public and pay tithe out of it, i will also say EFCC do not hv the legal right to arrest the clergy man in qtn. 'cuase in Christendom tithe is a secret obligation that must be perform by individual known only to his or her self how much he gives, which is one out of every ten that he ends as gain or profit or gifts, Either money or materials. Reveren fathers or pastor do nt know who pay tithe or who do not. Am not saying that any clergy man who is involved in money laundry or helping any individual in syefone public or even religious organization fund shoudnt be punish. i will even be happy if EFCC can be legally empower to check how religious organization usetiliz the fund there are getting though there members and other donations. Religious organization are unaccountable to there followers.
In Christianity any person who think that he or she can stole money and pay his tithe out of it so that he can receive the blessing of GOD is deceiving himself. God will never bless or favour anyone even if the person give the holl of the money to the church or use it to make donation to lessprivelage ones, the person is place more course on his own head. God hate evil did .
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 04, 2012
djkaneo:

Not really...just 10% of mere N350M. Since according to some here...they know people that pay up to N1b in tithe.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by rman: 9:14pm On Oct 04, 2012
djkaneo:

errm...it is 10% of 350 million sir.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by ebbsfavs: 9:16pm On Oct 04, 2012
Lets have a laugh! I hope somebody starts a section on the Ondo Governorship elections for unbiased people. I have a bias though, a favorite is not a question..

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by walexbiz(m): 9:18pm On Oct 04, 2012
Pukkah: There can be no actual progress or nation-building until Nigerians purge themselves of tribal/ethnic/religious sentiments especially when they approach critical issues or tough decisions.

Let the law enforcement agencies perform their duties.

mr pukkah i really appreciate ur effort in sanitizing some useless nigerian who encourage religious leader to take money stolen from the poor. Most nigerians have poverty of the mind to erode their sense of moral obligation. GOD Jehova Allah is not a solicitor of stolen money so let clergy rise up to their moral responsibility by inquiring where people get the tithe they donate to religious house.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Martini101(m): 9:20pm On Oct 04, 2012
djkaneo:

. Chairman. I know say na 1st 1st u dey come 4 class. Walahi, u sabi book jor.

1 Like

Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by infolekan(m): 9:21pm On Oct 04, 2012
naijalien: First and foremost, understand that ignorance is not an excuse under the law. The facts are clear that stolen money was paid to the Churches. It now behoves on all Churches and religious bodies to take necessary due diligence to avoid money being laundered through them in the name of tithes and offerings. There is nothing that stops a Church for instance by insisting that all tithes and offerings above a certain amount say N50,000.00 be made payable in check or bank draft. Besides the Money laundering law makes it an offence for an individual to make a cash transaction of more than N5,000,000.00 and a corporate entity more than N10,000,000.00. So it does not even make a good case for the clergy men to say that N45m cash was paid as tithe without resorting to a financial institution for such payment (Money Laundering Act 2011, Section 1).

The Churches must put in place safeguards to avoid bringing shame to itself like in this instance and that is called "Due Diligence". In a society like Nigeria with so many corrupt politicians and fraudsters, it is the right thing to do to avoid this type of embarassment. Let they that have ears, listen!

Your post reeks of ignorance & verbose talks that's why you're the only person I'll be replying.
The law doesn't say that transactions above that amount shouldn't hold.....it mandates the Banks to notify EFCC of such transactions.
The fact that u make transactions in the range of 10k to 50k doesn't mean that there are no legitimate transactions that run into millions AND billions.
And you need to read up the definition of money laundering yourself.
Hope I've helped you though
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Bandy10: 9:24pm On Oct 04, 2012
Reverend fathers or Pastors are nothing but parasites that do nothing but feed on the sweats of others. Churches are nothing but money making organizations.Court should jail the rev father if found guilty.This will serve as a lesson to other parasites who parade themselves as men of god
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by obyrich(m): 9:25pm On Oct 04, 2012
I wish u knew that God instructed his priests not to accept every gift. Money realised through foul means including prostitution are not acceptable to God. Hope u know the story of Elisha, Gehazi and Naaman. It's so unfortunate that the Men of God these days lack the spirit of discernment thereby allowing evil to permeate the kingdom. There is a way that seemeth right to a man but the end thereof is destruction! One thing we dont understand is that we are not more 'religious' than most of these high profile fraudsters. They are prominent in the church as well as in their cults! God is not hungry and can never be mocked.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Pukkah: 9:29pm On Oct 04, 2012
walex_biz:

mr pukkah i really appreciate ur effort in sanitizing some useless nigerian who encourage religious leader to take money stolen from the poor. Most nigerians have poverty of the mind to erode their sense of moral obligation. GOD Jehova Allah is not a solicitor of stolen money so let clergy rise up to their moral responsibility by inquiring where people get the tithe they donate to religious house.

Honestly, I think may people have been deluded into unconsciously thinking that corruption, especially in its shrouded form, is not so bad. This is because they have seen fraud in too many places by too many people without anything happening to them. In fact, the unquestioning society itself seems to glorify corrupt people and reward larceny.

In view of this, many people have become benumbed and have been misled into making extenuating arguments for corrupt people. Add religion or tribalism to the equation and you have a big problem on your hands. This is why I have been making efforts to purge those people of the wrong scripting and gradual brainwashing they have received.

I hope that one day, we would have the courage and will to surrender the operations of our religious bodies to the regulations of a Charity Commission. Religious bodies that are doing God's Will have nothing to fear. It is only the guilty that will be afraid.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by ochisman(m): 9:29pm On Oct 04, 2012
TITHES IS 10% OF ONE'S TOTAL INCOME FOR THE DAY,WEEK,OR MONTH. SO WHAT IS THE SO CALLED EFCC TELLING US? THAT HE STOLE 45 MILLION NAIRA OR 4.5 BILLION NAIRA? LETS FACE THE FACT, IF THE MAN IN QUESTIONED DIDN'T PAY HIS TITHES, WAT EVIDENCES WOULD THE EFCC USE IN HOLDING/AGAINST HIM? IS THERE NO HOLE IN THE PURSE WERE THAT URGE AMOUNT OF MONEY WAS STOLEN FROM? HOW COME IS IT THAT IT WAS AFTER HE PAYED HIS TITHE THAT THE EFCC NOTICED THAT HE STOLE SOME MONEY? THE REAL THING IS THAT WHEN THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY IN OUR ESTABLISHMENTS, THINGS LIKE THIS ARE BOUND TO CONTINUOUSLY HAPPEN.
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by kessyur: 9:31pm On Oct 04, 2012
And how on earth will the Rev. fathers in a local community of Ibusa where virtually all the "419ners" hail from believe that their son- Atuche, a bank MD cannot donate a sum of 45m without venturing into public fund?
Re: EFCC To Arrest Priests Over Atuche’s N45 Million Tithe by Martini101(m): 9:33pm On Oct 04, 2012
Ojefo. U are another catholic church hater. Ur hatered for the catholic church has made u so unreasonable that u think u re making sense.Why nt concentrate on the topic at hand and stop digressing! If u have an implicating evidence against a Rev.Fr, why nt come forth with it orelse remain forever silent. @Pukkah. U re still on key. Ride on. EFCC should get their priorities right.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Zahra Buhari-Indimi: I Did Not Defraud FG Of ₦51 Billion, ₦2.5 Billion / Oluwo Of Tede: Kwara Police Arrest Another Isese Activist In Ibadan, Detain Him / Scores Of Boko Haram Members Killed In Konduga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.