Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,428 members, 7,881,570 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 12:07 AM

Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? (17901 Views)

Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Secession Bid Of Texas And Obama's War Options! / Barack Obama Vs Mitt Romney : Election Night Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by Redstone(m): 8:44pm On Oct 04, 2012
means: It beats my imagination that all the foreign media are saying Mitt won the debate. Naturally, as the person who wants to unseat the incumbent, Romney was expected to attack the Obama policies which he did. Did you guys expect the seating president to attack Romney? No. He needed to defend his policies and calmly pointed out how he will continue with those policies. The poll on who won the debate hasn't changed the polls rating in the swing states that will decided this election. The Democrats are not panicking. People would have been disappointed if the President had gone on the offensive. Romney hasn't even explained the specifics on how he intends to create the 12million jobs yet. Just my take anyway.

Right on point bro.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by greaterlove(m): 9:03pm On Oct 04, 2012
gbadexy:
So true.
Bush's policy on africa was better than obamma's own.
i dont agree, bush gave africa more money quite alright, a lot more than clinton, but do you know how much africa lost during the global financial crises, which was caused by bush reckless policies and his 'dumb war'? i dont care if obama visits nigeria or not as long as he does not take the economy of america downhill and plunge africa and the world into another global financial crises.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by Akiika: 9:11pm On Oct 04, 2012
shymexx: Romney won!!

To be honest, Obama has never been that good in debates, and anything devoid of the use of a telepromter... He's intelligent but definitely not a leader...

I hope he wins, anyway...

So you are insinuating that he used teleprompter in the 2008 debates? you opined that he's intelligent but definitely not a leader...and yet you still hope he wins...Thank God you can't vote in America.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by livethinme: 9:13pm On Oct 04, 2012
Billyonaire: I know He is President of USA, but why is this News on Front Page ? Its because, the modes wanted it discussed. But young man, are you too young to handle diverse opinions, I wanna convince you that my love for Obama was sentimental, racial, and African. And my dislike for him at this moment is because he didnt reciprocate the love that Africa showed him, he rode on our collective sentiments, of history of African slavery and black pity to win White House. He didnt win because he was better than all. He won cos the world needed to see a blackman, you can quote me wrong, but I sure have a lot of people who will agree with me. Yesterday, ROMNEY WON, and I hope ROMNEY wins the election. Its my personal wish. But if Obama wins the election, I will buy a Champagne for my dogs.

No im not too young to handle diverse opinions, but fair enough. If you voted for him based on sentiment then I can see what your issue is. Like I said though, I don’t share it.

But I’ll say this. He rode on hope and change, not on the history of African slavery.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by crisycent: 9:14pm On Oct 04, 2012
Truth be told, Obama "choked" and Romney came out "swinging". Clear winner...Romney!!!
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by livethinme: 9:15pm On Oct 04, 2012
greaterlove:
i dont agree, bush gave africa more money quite alright, a lot more than clinton, but do you know how much africa lost during the global financial crises, which was caused by bush reckless policies and his 'dumb war'? i dont care if obama visits nigeria or not as long as he does not take the economy of america downhill and plunge africa and the world into another global financial crises.

They dont care. He gave them more money and thats enough for them.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by kessyur: 9:24pm On Oct 04, 2012
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by violent(m): 10:14pm On Oct 04, 2012
Obama is a reflective talker, he pauses...thinks..then talks..then pauses..then thinks..then thinks...then talks!

Mitt on the other hand is a natural alpha male personality. The kind of guy that can force his opinion on you whether you agree with him or not. Obama stands no chance and it was sort of funny to watch him nod in agreement at everything Romney says.

Obama is a nice guy, but sometimes, being nice doesn't make you win. I tried being a nice guy once and ended up not get laid till i was 16!!
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by violent(m): 10:15pm On Oct 04, 2012
Akiika:

So you are insinuating that he used teleprompter in the 2008 debates? you opined that he's intelligent but definitely not a leader...and yet you still hope he wins...Thank God you can't vote in America.

You need to watch the 2008 debates again....Hilary flogged Obama all the way in the democratic debates
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by violent(m): 10:30pm On Oct 04, 2012
CyberG: For those who are just hearing about Romney's positions today, UNDERSTAND that he just changed those positions to appear as "moderate". This guy NEVER had these positions to come through his party primaries while debating among his conservative co-aspirants and appealing to their republican "base". However, he has SHIFTED so much and close to Obama's position on many issues, even the analysts and citizens noticed that and commented after the debate. BOTTOMLINE: Romney will say and do anything NOW to get elected! So rightly, Obama asked: Are these plans you talk about SO GOOD that you are unable to tell Americans what EXACTLY they are? Hope none of you is fooled by the flip-flopping, 47% dissing Romney. The comments he made in private are a VERY accurate portrayal of his real thought towards the people since he thought the public would NEVER see or hear it. Today, he knows people are listening and had to say anything to deceive you.

Like it or not, this is still bad for Obama.

No one likes to see a President mauled so black and blue in front of 80 million viewers. Not especially the President of the United States. The first law of natural selection forbids signs of weakness. If you must stand up tall and defend a country like America on the same stage with folks like Putin and Netanyahu, you can't afford to look like yesterday's Obama!....I bet even Goodluck Jonathan can put up a much fearsome performance (Okay, i know that's taking it too far)

Yesterday was too disappointing to watch. I doubt do if this will have such a strong effect on the polls that may help Mitt's struggles. But it's a start nonetheless, a repeat of such in the future (which i envisage will happen) will be terrible for Team Obama's brand.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by Limaoscar: 10:47pm On Oct 04, 2012
It beats my imagination that all the foreign media are saying Mitt won the debate. Naturally, as the person who wants to unseat the incumbent, Romney was expected to attack the Obama policies which he did. Did you guys expect the seating president to attack Romney? No. He needed to defend his policies and calmly pointed out how he will continue with those policies. The poll on who won the debate hasn't changed the polls rating in the swing states that will decided this election. The Democrats are not panicking. People would have been disappointed if the President had gone on the offensive. Romney hasn't even explained the specifics on how he intends to create the 12million jobs yet. Just my take anyway.

I feel you bro. I watched this debate with my family and we had friends calling us and laughing at Gov. Mitt's cameleon proficiency...now I'm reading through most posts and trying to figure why most people who haven't been following these two men will all of a sudden get carried away by the lying oratory of Gov. Mitt. He's changed position a lot....wait a minute, I will go to His fox news base and see what the Replublican Ars.e lickers are sayng. I'm completely shocked that Mitt will change position so shamelessy to fleece votes from people but He'd be very surprised.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by armyofone(m): 10:59pm On Oct 04, 2012
can someone tell Romney to stop blinking like fly got into his eyes. How can someone do that 1million times per second. I like Romanus but his smile and blinks look so fake.

Is this the end of our man Barack?
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by whitecat007: 11:18pm On Oct 04, 2012
Maybe you you can tell us why it is called debate if there are no winners and losers.
Rossikk: What do they mean by who ''won'' the debate? It's not clear cut what exactly the criteria is for ''winning'' is. Is it the person that speaks the fastest, or is the rudest person on stage or the one that tells lies the best?

Both men made their points and showed their differences. One was more aggressive and loud than the other. If that means he ''won'', then the entire essence of the debate is defeated.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by xtraodinaire: 12:10am On Oct 05, 2012
ehie: are u a forty seven percenter??a welfare addict?then u must hate mitt

I don't hate mitt, I believe he's a businessman and he's done very well for himself. He's a better businessman than Barack but guess what, America needs a bill Clinton now not a GWB and Obama's the closest they can get at least for now.
P.s sure u understand the 'bill Clinton' phrase.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 12:30am On Oct 05, 2012
The man that wants to cut funding for PBS won. (Even though PBS only takes about 0.0012% of the entire federal budget! And the rest of the money for PBS comes from donations.) undecided Poor big bird and elmo. grin

Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by stmarc32(m): 12:38am On Oct 05, 2012
Who cares who wins.. They are both lying thru their teeth... Remember Obama foreign policy campaign promise.. They will kill your mamas n brothers without blinking.... They r both warmongers n puppets.... Ron Paul is the real deal anyday anytime...
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by violent(m): 1:02am On Oct 05, 2012
The man that wants to cut funding for PBS won. (Even though PBS only takes about 0.0012% of the entire federal budget! And the rest of the money for PBS comes from donations.) Poor big bird and elmo

WHAT!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked

You are kidding right?

0.0012% of the entire US budget?

Are Americans this stupivd?
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by AkoEja: 1:35am On Oct 05, 2012
the only reason a black man can feel happy that Pres Obama became president is the psychological impact it has on black people as being capable of reaching that high office.

it is moronic for people to expect the precedent of America to be the one that will bring Nigeria out of poverty and move our own country forward. America already has enough of its own problem to cope with. any team and American president does will be in the interest of America, not in the interest of other countries. There is nothing wrong in this.

Many Nigerians stupidly think that other countries are interested in them, when they themselves are not interested in their own country. Nigeria can only be moved forward by Nigerians not by foreigners.

Every country in the world that has moved forward have only done so because of the efforts of people of that country, not by the efforts of people from other countries.

1 Like

Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by Nobody: 1:41am On Oct 05, 2012
stillwater:

If we are to judge on who followed debating rules, Obama too failed in that at some instances. I don't think this is about who cut in on who the most, the end result in a debate is to convince your audience and Romney did that.

He was convincing and rude at the same time. His rudeness, unfortunately, did not take away his very eloquent points.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 1:52am On Oct 05, 2012
violent:

WHAT!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked

You are kidding right?

0.0012% of the entire US budget?

Are Americans this stupivd?

Nope not kidding, It is literally 0.0012% of the entire US budget. He says "we don't need to waste money" I won't really count it as wasting money because it cost primarily nothing, and it helps educate little children. And this guy claims he wants to create more jobs, while planning to take jobs from more people. Yup some Americans are that stu.pid and will vote for him.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by Blyss: 2:13am On Oct 05, 2012
Romney won. Obama seemed way too laid back, disconnected and simply unprepared for this first debate. There were a lot of points/issues with Romney's policies in which he absolutely failed to address, though he really needed to bring to light in this debate. Hopefully he'll, do much better in the next go-round, else he could be in really big trouble in the ratings. He allowed Romney to get away with absolute murder, in retrospect, in that debate. He can not afford to do that again. He better get his high yella azz in gear.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by porka: 2:43am On Oct 05, 2012
Wereh kpe: Romney gave Obama KO jare. Sad BUT true.
THE REASON: As a president u have less time to prepare compared to someone who is a governor.

How do you think GEJ will do against Romney?

I am sure GEJ will have to be on stage with David Mark, Sanusi, Ngozi, Aganga, Patience, Oteh and Deizini so they can answer the questions . GEJ will just b directing the questions to them

LOL

I agree with your assertion of less time to prepare for debate as the president. I think in fairness, Romney has an advantage in preparations.

But, as the president for four years, you would simply have your records behind you to point to, that is your own ultimate preparation.

Obama didn't point to any. Over and over again Romney looked at Obama directly, faced the camera and boldly asserted that Obama's policies have failed and Obama found it hard to defend his own four year record.

I think your GEJ joke is funny though.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by TayoD1(m): 3:09am On Oct 05, 2012
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKY5uDWtWvE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKY5uDWtWvE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by violent(m): 7:37am On Oct 05, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Nope not kidding, It is literally 0.0012% of the entire US budget. He says "we don't need to waste money" I won't really count it as wasting money because it cost primarily nothing, and it helps educate little children. And this guy claims he wants to create more jobs, while planning to take jobs from more people. Yup some Americans are that stu.pid and will vote for him.

The entire US expenditure for 2011 was 3.6 trillion. What you are letting me know is that the country spent roughly 43 million dollars keeping this bird alive, just so kids could have a "really nice time"?

I get the sentiment that this program was established many years ago when America ran economic surpluses, and could afford to throw cash around the most mundane activities, but that America isn't the same America of today!

43 million dollars and did i hear you say the big ol bird is a poor thing?

Zimbabwe is a country of 12.7 million people and it's federal government entire spending for 2011 was 2.2 million US dollars...roughly 20 times less than the amount US spends keeping a bird alive. What exactly do kids learn from it that isn't available to be learnt in schools, nursery etc?

I don't like Mitt Romney at all...in fact, i believe a better candidate for the GOP/conservative ticket would have been Ron Paul. That said, Mitt Romney is coming across to me as more reasonable if he intends to slash wasteful spending that has kept America's deficit this high in recent decades.

Find 10 of "such birds" to kill and you already have 430 million dollars in savings, why is that unreasonable?
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by luluosas(m): 7:56am On Oct 05, 2012
means: It beats my imagination that all the foreign media are saying Mitt won the debate. Naturally, as the person who wants to unseat the incumbent, Romney was expected to attack the Obama policies which he did. Did you guys expect the seating president to attack Romney? No. He needed to defend his policies and calmly pointed out how he will continue with those policies. The poll on who won the debate hasn't changed the polls rating in the swing states that will decided this election. The Democrats are not panicking. People would have been disappointed if the President had gone on the offensive. Romney hasn't even explained the specifics on how he intends to create the 12million jobs yet. Just my take anyway.
Why should it beat your imaginations? Mitt Romney won the debate and that's the truth.
When our own president was called for debate, did he showed up? Instead, he chooses to debate with himself.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by means(m): 8:21am On Oct 05, 2012
luluosas:
Why should it beat your imaginations? Mitt Romney won the debate and that's the truth.
When our own president was called for debate, did he showed up? Instead, he chooses to debate with himself.

Oops, got me laughing out loud in my office this morning
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by TayoD1(m): 12:19pm On Oct 05, 2012
@ Violent,

Find 10 of "such birds" to kill and you already have 430 million dollars in savings, why is that unreasonable?
Abeg tell them joor? Many here just accept the things they hear on left-leaning media without even thinking about it. Sesame Street can never die if the Govt pulls its funding. I'm sure it'll have no problems finding sponsors to keep it on the air. Disney and the Cartoon Network are doing fine without a dime from Obama stash. About time that PBS does same.

And by the way, it's not just "birds" that need to be killed, we need to go after a lot of "pork" too.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by preselect(m): 2:50pm On Oct 05, 2012
If Obama looses this election, he lost it on Wednesday night.
I expected Romney to win the debate but I didn't expect Obama to be so wimpy. Obama has never really been that good at debates, but on Wednesday he was less than " not good enough"
His body language was pathetic. I may be wrong bc I watched less than 10minutes of the debate. I saw the disaster and went to work, I wasn't surprised to hear the analysis later. Watch Romney rise in the polls. A GOP rejuvenation, Missouri senate race going GOP. If GOP wins the senate and White House, obamacare is gone.
Then healthcare cost will rise again for the next 40-50yrs before another democrat has the balls to try health reform.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by KayDee4: 4:33pm On Oct 05, 2012
^^ He has 2 more chances to come back in the debate rankings, but Wednesday night's debate (Economy and jobs) will be the most important of all 3. The best he can do is to use the domestic policies debate to make the points he left out about the economy. Luckily for him, this month's jobs report is looking good, unemployment is down to 7.8% .

Mitt Romney stunned him with his transformed self and new agenda but BO should have anticipated all that. I'm sure he's learnt his lesson and will come out firing in 2 weeks.

For the MO senate race, Akin still trails Claire by about 6 points but it still calls for concern because you would expect a wider gap after his fellow repubs deserted him like a leper for his 'legitimate rapɛ' comment.
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 6:45pm On Oct 05, 2012
violent:

The entire US expenditure for 2011 was 3.6 trillion. What you are letting me know is that the country spent roughly 43 million dollars keeping this bird alive, just so kids could have a "really nice time"?

I get the sentiment that this program was established many years ago when America ran economic surpluses, and could afford to throw cash around the most mundane activities, but that America isn't the same America of today!

43 million dollars and did i hear you say the big ol bird is a poor thing?

Zimbabwe is a country of 12.7 million people and it's federal government entire spending for 2011 was 2.2 million US dollars...roughly 20 times less than the amount US spends keeping a bird alive. What exactly do kids learn from it that isn't available to be learnt in schools, nursery etc?

I don't like Mitt Romney at all...in fact, i believe a better candidate for the GOP/conservative ticket would have been Ron Paul. That said, Mitt Romney is coming across to me as more reasonable if he intends to slash wasteful spending that has kept America's deficit this high in recent decades.

Compared to the wars in iraq and afghanistan which cost the government trillions of dollars, and contributes

absolutely nothing to the economy/does good for anyone! I will take 50 of this educational channels and this "birds"

that actually help educate young children, and get them a head start before they begin school. If Mitt romney wants

to cut spending for unnecessary things, then he needs to concentrate more on getting rid of the ridiculous and useless

wars that takes almost most of the goverment funds than pick on tv shows that doesnt take majority of its funds from the

government and yet still does more for the people. And just so you know this PBS channel does more than just

show "birds" they also show documentaries that I for one think are very informative and valuable. So sir, this channel

is not just for the kids to have a "really nice time", it also helps get educative, and important message out to

adults as well!
Re: Romney And Obama: Who Won The First Debate? by violent(m): 8:39pm On Oct 05, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Compared to the wars in iraq and afghanistan which cost the government trillions of dollars, and contributes

absolutely nothing to the economy/does good for anyone! I will take 50 of this educational channels and this "birds"

that actually help educate young children, and get them a head start before they begin school. If Mitt romney wants

to cut spending for unnecessary things, then he needs to concentrate more on getting rid of the ridiculous and useless

wars that takes almost most of the goverment funds than pick on tv shows that doesnt take majority of its funds from the

government and yet still does more for the people. And just so you know this PBS channel does more than just

show "birds" they also show documentaries that I for one think are very informative and valuable. So sir, this channel

is not just for the kids to have a "really nice time", it also helps get educative, and important message out to

adults as well!

Iraq war can no longer be corrected. All the US can simply do is live with the consequences. All US troops are out of Iraq, but it is entirely unreasonable to expect the US to simply cut funding to this country, given that millions of people are still displaced and it is the responsibility of the United States to ensure that stability is fully restored to this country.

I don't see how that compares with spending huge amounts on cartoon shows. The value offered by this tv show does not justify the cost of running it. Most adults are better positioned to be more informative by spending at least 3 minutes each day on Google news than sitting in front of a kiddies channel...these are the kind of holes that the US should aim to shut if it is ever serious about trimming down its record deficit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Thousands March For Gaza In Washington, DC (Video, Photos) / Turkey Explains Position On Ukraine / Wikileaks Founder, Julian Assange Loses Ecuadorian Citizenship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.