Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,150 members, 7,880,610 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 10:24 PM

Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction (7430 Views)

CCT Trial: APC Leaders Divided Over Saraki / Lagos Assembly Reverses Pedro's Impeachment After Eight Years / S-east Govs Divided Over Pro-biafra Struggle - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by EzePromoe: 10:56am On Oct 04, 2012
The Lagos State House of Assembly was on Tuesday divided over the proposed introduction of Chinese language in the state's school curriculum.

It subsequently summoned the Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Olayinka Oladunjoye, to appear before the House on Tuesday next week.

The representative of Ajeromi-Ifelodun in the Assembly, Mr. Abdulbak Balogun, had drawn the attention of the House to a statement credited to Oladunjoye over the introduction of Chinese language to public schools.

Balogun said, "Why Chinese language in our public schools? If we want our children to learn Chinese language, why not in the university where they learn linguistics?"

Another lawmaker, Mr. Rotimi Olowo, wondered the relevance of the language to the socio-economic development of the state and the country.

He said, "Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa languages should be made compulsory instead of the Chinese language."

However, another lawmaker, Mrs. Lola Akande, said the introduction of Chinese language was not a bad idea because China is the second largest economy in the world and also regarded as super power in terms of technology advancement.

She said, "The introduction of Chinese language would not disrupt the school curriculum, rather, it will strengthen the relationship between Nigeria and China."

The Speaker, Adeyemi Ikuforiji, said there was the need for Nigerian students to learn as many languages as possible. He added that the introduction of the Chinese language would not have any negative impact on the students.

He said, "Most of the countries I have visited, you see a child of less than 15 years speaking about three or more languages and this has not prevented them from learning their local languages as well.

"The introduction of Chinese language would not affect other languages we speak. It is good for us to learn as many languages as possible."

He directed that the commissioner should brief the assembly on the methods and preparations for the introduction of the new language in schools.

[url]odili.net/news/source/2012/oct/3/832.html[/url]
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by PaulJohn1: 10:59am On Oct 04, 2012
This is what we call governance, not just everybody putting their heads the same way and pass any bill brought up.
They've got to disagree to make something meaningful
Good luck to them as they make the right decision.
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by EzePromoe: 11:13am On Oct 04, 2012
Isn't that madness, entitling school children to learning a language which is totally alien to your country.
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by PaulJohn1: 11:29am On Oct 04, 2012
^^
That's from your own perspective, let the Lagos law makers do their jobs.
It's even cool they disagreed, let's hope they come to conclusion that's suit most.
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 04, 2012
However, another lawmaker, Mrs. Lola Akande, said the introduction of Chinese language was not a bad idea because China is the second largest economy in the world and also regarded as super power in terms of technology advancement.

What is this??

I am very sure this woman didn't train her children with yoruba language.. now she wants to enforce another foreign language plus English.
WHAT A SHAME!!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by EzePromoe: 11:59am On Oct 04, 2012
At times there are many stupid acts these members of assembly acts which even an illiterate will never dream of doing such. SMH.....
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Afam4eva(m): 12:37pm On Oct 04, 2012
God punish mandarin and cantonese. We should promote our own languages and leave other languages to the people who own them. isn't it enough that we've had to learn English thereby neglecting our own language. Now, they want our children to learn Chinese...If at all they must introduce Chinese then our languages should also be introduced in Chinese schools the way Unizik did theirs.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 04, 2012
^^^ how can an illiterate person dream of learning new thing? it is only a literate person that culd dream of such!
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by nifemi01(m): 12:51pm On Oct 04, 2012
In a nation where d first lady can barely communicate in the official language (english) and we are already thinking of adding chinese to the curriculum.
How about we just stick with english for now and ensure it is being taught properly in all our schools.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 04, 2012
I think we realy have to learn Mandarin(Chinese language) because we are fools and they are not! tonnes of products are daily importd into Nigeria frm China nd please check d instructns, they are in Mandarin, the English translatns are usually wit errors! the few products that are made n Nigeria have their instructns in English, French and Arabic! gone are those days when instructns on bournvita s n Yoruba, Hausa nd Igbo, then b4 I even knew wht Niger bridge looked like I learnt 'abinchi sha ga kowa' by comparing that with d Yoruba instructn I learnt it means 'food drink for all'
Imagin somethng like a drug being made fo a Nigerian populace and no instructn n any of d local languages and it is d local poeple dat will consume d drugs and what is the Nigeria authority doing about this? nothing!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Gbawe: 1:01pm On Oct 04, 2012
Eze Promoe: Isn't that madness, entitling school children to learning a language which is totally alien to your country.

I don't know if a blanket dismissal of this idea serves us best. China is on course to be perhaps the biggest and most influential economy in the world. I am really not sure it is a bad thing for Nigeria to proactively prepare a generation that will be up to speed at conversing with a Nation most likely to be the world's biggest giant, in every sense of the word. I actually even advice young relatives to consider a second 'world' language (French, Spanish et al) to give them a competitive edge in an increasingly challenging world.

Also, the argument of introducing it at University level is fine but it is a scientific fact that human beings are most capable of learning language while very young. It may not be a bad idea to introduce it at secondary school level. An idea worth discussing robustly to note the pros and cons. I personally would support my children to learn Mandarin.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Afam4eva(m): 1:05pm On Oct 04, 2012
Gbawe:

I don't know if a blanket dismissal of this idea serves us best. China is on course to be perhaps the biggest and most influential economy in the world. I am really not sure it is a bad thing for Nigeria to proactively prepare a generation that will be up to speed at conversing with a Nation most likely to be the world's biggest giant, in every sense of the word.

The argument of introducing it at University level is fine but it is a scientific fact that human beings are most capable of learning language while very young. It may not be a bad idea to introduce it at secondary school level. An idea worth discussing robustly to note the pros and cons.
It's a shame that people still think like this. So, in other words you're saying we should learn a new language the moment a new nation becomes the economic super power...I wonder why the whole of China, Germany, Spain and other non-English speaking countries have not all learnt Ebglish considering the fact that the US is currently the economic super power.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 04, 2012
Nigeria should fall in line. China is the next big thing.
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Gbawe: 1:15pm On Oct 04, 2012
afam4eva:
It's a shame that people still think like this. So, in other words you're saying we should learn a new language the moment a new nation becomes the economic super power...I wonder why the whole of China, Germany, Spain and other non-English speaking countries have not all learnt Ebglish considering the fact that the US is currently the economic super power.

Why are some of you so rude and aggressive? Is it not obvious I am stating my opinion in a way that suggests it is in no way binding on others? Look, the Influence of China throughout the world, and even in Africa, is increasing.

If it is not at the expense of anything else, like indigenous language, then it is not sensible to dismiss the idea of Nigerian children learning mandarin. Let us hear the pros and cons without anyone blasting the opinion of others as "madness". I would personally steer my children towards mastering the world's most relevant languages as much as possible. It is all in line with how much of a global Village the world is becoming. Those who fail to grasp that concept will also fail to equip themselves to be optimally competitive in future.
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Gbawe: 1:34pm On Oct 04, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Ileke, we could not have imagined that the LCD's used only for calculators in the past will now be at the centre of technology today. The world is becoming one massive global Village. It will even be more so in future and it may not be a bad idea for Africans to prepare for that.

It is worth considering the idea of developing a generation who have skills to match and even better others. It should not be authoritarian and compulsory but I think they should seek the opinion of parents and conduct a survey.
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Afam4eva(m): 1:34pm On Oct 04, 2012
Gbawe:

Why are some of you so rude and aggressive? Is it not obvious I am stating my opinion in a way that suggests it is in no way binding on others? Look, the Influence of China throughout the world, and even in Africa, is increasing.

If it is not at the expense of anything else, like indigenous language, then it is not sensible to dismiss the idea of Nigerian children learning mandarin. Let us hear the pros and cons without anyone blasting the opinion of others as "madness". I would personally steer my children towards mastering the world's most relevant languages as much as possible. It is all in line with how much of a global Village the world is becoming. Those who fail to grasp that concept will also fail to equip themselves to be optimally competitive in future.
How i'm i being rude? What i said is my personal opinion which possesses a strong aversion to your assertion.

We all know what English has cost us as a nation. Yet we still want to put salt on top of an already inflicted injury. Is it not enough that some of our children can't master and even understand their own mother tongue due to people likeness for the English language. Don't you think it will become worse if Chinese is introduced?

I see no reason why Chinese should be taught anywhere. If it's about communication then we'll get an interpreter. Btw, hasn't China being doing business with non-Chinese speaking countries. How have they been managing?...

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Gbawe: 1:58pm On Oct 04, 2012
afam4eva:
How i'm i being rude? What i said is my personal opinion which possesses a strong aversion to your assertion.

We all know what English has cost of as a nation. Yet we still want to put salt on top of an already inflicted injury. Is it not enough that some of our children can't master and even understand their own mother tongue due to people likeness for the English language. Don't you think it will become worse if Chinese is introduced?

I see no reason why Chinese should be taught anywhere. If it's about communication then we'll get an interpreter. Btw, hasn't China being doing business with non-Chinese speaking countries. How have they been managing?...

Look, I am not totally sold on the idea but I think we should hear the pros and cons as it applies to Nigerians.

I don't think you are correct assuming that learning a foreign language weakens the ability to retain fluency in a native language.

What should be discouraged is parental discrimination against native languages. Some Nigerian parents feel, wrongly, that there children/ward are better served learning English alone. The focus is then entirely on the English language and they make no effort to ensure their children learn their native language.

There is nothing wrong with the idea of children being multi-lingual. In fact, it may be a massive advantage latter in life. The point is even made in the article that this does not have to come at the expense of our native languages.

The Speaker, Adeyemi
Ikuforiji, said there was the need for Nigerian
students to learn as many languages as
possible. He added that the introduction of the Chinese language would
not have any negative impact on the students.
He said, "Most of the countries I have visited, you see a child of less
than 15 years speaking about three or more languages and this has not prevented them
from learning their local languages as well.
"The introduction of
Chinese language would not affect other languages we speak. It is good for us to learn as many languages as
possible."
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by MrGlobe(m): 2:07pm On Oct 04, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
^
Parasitic no resource having yorrober people. Always looking for free food to su..ck. smh.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Horus(m): 2:11pm On Oct 04, 2012
I think it is the Chineses who have to learn english to allow them to trade with the whole world. If a Chinese businessman come to Nigeria he have to abide to ours rules and laws, not the other way around.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 04, 2012
Gbawe:

Ileke, we could not have imagined that the LCD's used only for calculators in the past will now be at the centre of technology today. The world is becoming one massive global Village. It will even be more so in future and it may not be a bad idea for Africans to prepare for that.

It is worth considering the idea of developing a generation who have skills to match and even better others. It should not be authoritarian and compulsory but I think they should seek the opinion of parents and conduct a survey.

True!

Even most ppl are shifting towards Chinese language classes.
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by sheyguy: 2:17pm On Oct 04, 2012
We have 3 main options before us. ENGLISH, CHINESE, and FRENCH. I think they should do away with french before introducing chinese. If i have to choose i will go for French because most Lagos indigene are more likely find their way in to a french speaking country than a chinese speaking one.
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by chucky234(m): 2:28pm On Oct 04, 2012
Gbawe:

I don't know if a blanket dismissal of this idea serves us best. China is on course to be perhaps the biggest and most influential economy in the world. I am really not sure it is a bad thing for Nigeria to proactively prepare a generation that will be up to speed at conversing with a Nation most likely to be the world's biggest giant, in every sense of the word. I actually even advice young relatives to consider a second 'world' language (French, Spanish et al) to give them a competitive edge in an increasingly challenging world.

Also, the argument of introducing it at University level is fine but it is a scientific fact that human beings are most capable of learning language while very young. It may not be a bad idea to introduce it at secondary school level. An idea worth discussing robustly to note the pros and cons. I personally would support my children to learn Mandarin.
China will continue to play second fiddle to the US as long as they continue to devalue their currency,its madness to introduce Chinese into public schools.
How many more countries have Chinese as official/second language?
Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by abhosts(m): 2:29pm On Oct 04, 2012
Bad Idea! English is the Language of International Diplomacy so the Chinese are the ones that ought to fall in Line. It could however be introduced as an elective in higher Institutions of Learning.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by bigmaut: 2:33pm On Oct 04, 2012
Emancipate yur self frm colonial(inferiority)slavery!Fashola & his cabinet ,state assembly shld 1st learn chinese & read his nxt indpdnt speech in chinese b4 he ask lil' children 2 learn chinese why cnt china learn english?angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by hotwax: 2:34pm On Oct 04, 2012
Next, they will start learning Japaneses the third largest economy and India the fourth. Slaves of world powers.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by llbhuds: 2:36pm On Oct 04, 2012
this is total madness...we are surrounded by french speaking countries and yet the curriculum has little or no emphasis on french language.i could remember i was thought french in my primary schl and its of no use today because i have not even stepped into any french speaking country and even if i do, i can only remeber 3words in french bonjour, un and au revoir.
this is just another way of embezzling trillions of naira abeg because their family members will be sent to France to learn the language (cos im sure they wont employ from COED and Universities) for 1yr, establishing a french library, bringing native french speakers as teacher from France e.t.c and all this to chop money oooo.

even some university graduates cant speak and write a compound sentence despite being taught in english from primary to university level, yet you are planning to introduce Chinese...hnmmm na wa oo

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by hotwax: 2:36pm On Oct 04, 2012

And who tells you China will become the next super power? On what ground? If not for the natural disasters affecting Japan, where was China before?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by MrGlobe(m): 2:38pm On Oct 04, 2012
As long as this world remains, china will never be a world power and chinese will never be an international language. If anybody has to learn anything then china are the ones to learn English but owambe people must always play second fiddle. grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by Ranoscky(m): 3:03pm On Oct 04, 2012
Wei, ni hao ma? Zhoung guo hua hen hao a!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by bankylan: 3:07pm On Oct 04, 2012
Nigeria- a country that lacks identity in all facets of life. Technologically we don't, culturally we don't....We are not less humans, but our politicians have made us to believe so.
Why not promote our languages and give ourselves a sort of identity. Can't we develop to the level of teaching Physics and Chemistry in our local languages? If it is possible to study engineering in french and mandarin....is it absolutely impossible to study engineering in Yoruba and Igbo? Until we get to this level, maybe the much expected better tomorrow will be nothing but a mirage.

Our markets are full of substandard Chinese products...now we need to 'force' our students to learn Chinese language. There is nothing wrong in being bi-lingua....But personally, i think it is not Chinese language that this country needs for economic and technological development.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by executinal(m): 3:12pm On Oct 04, 2012
And tomorrow this same people will call Jonathan names? No need for argument here because the language will be dead on arrival. How many of us can speak Hausa Igbo and Youruba fluently as a Nigerian?

So if China happen to become world power, all the world will be asked to learn chinese?? If we are talking about FRENCH it could have been better because our labouring African countries speak it.

I am not surprised because same step they took that made them abandon our gods such as AMADIOHA, SANGO and the rest and followed foreign GOD that bring nothing but destruction to our land. And they the white that destroy our gods, still come down to steal our gods and put in their museum.

Instead of tackling unemployment,bad roads and terrorism everywhere, they are busy talking trash about Chinese language and world power. May AMADIOHA KILL ALL OF UNA WAY WAN CARRY CHINESE LANGUAGE COME NAIJA.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Divided Over Chinese Language Introduction by EzePromoe: 3:25pm On Oct 04, 2012
Instead of this:
Gbawe:

Why not this:
Eze Promoe: He said, "Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa languages should be made compulsory instead of the Chinese language."

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Steve Jobs Stopped Going To Church Because Of Biafra(proof) / Obiano Vs Amosun ( So Much For Yolobas Leaders) / Simon Achuba Sues Kogi House Of Assembly Over Impeachment Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.