Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,967 members, 7,949,296 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 05:30 AM

Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? (32101 Views)

How Segun Awolowo Has Ruined The Nigerian Export Promotion Commission. / Soyinka Backs Achebe On Civil War Memoir / Attack On Awolowo Family: Count Me Out -tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by dayokanu(m): 5:15pm On Oct 10, 2012
Ngodigha1:
What an imbecilic question you are asking?. Dimka and co from Benue/Plateau killed M. Mohammed yet the people of middle belt were not exterminated. But the coup plotters suffered for their sins.
Nonsense.

Definitely stupidity runs in your genes.

Can Murtala Mohammed be compared to Sardauna of Sokoto, Balewa or Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland? or a prominent Itshekiri high chief Okotie Eboh
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 5:23pm On Oct 10, 2012
Who dashed them oyel? even the palm oyel is Akwa ibom/crossriver's.
olson:

guy i gbadun u no be smal. leave d oyel tribe alone. i wil like to refer dem to a buk by Elechi Amadi titled: sunset @ biafran.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ayobase(m): 5:23pm On Oct 10, 2012
dayokanu:

Can Murtala Mohammed be compared to Sardauna of Sokoto, Balewa or Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland? or a prominent Itshekiri high chief Okotie Eboh

Comparison(s) based on what pls?
Curious!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 5:27pm On Oct 10, 2012
You can still do that and don't patronize us. Yours is a kiss of death as nothing good has and wil come from ndibo.
Ngodigha1:
If Biafra wanted to Attack the Yorubas, Banjo would not have been appointed the commander of that batallion. The east meant well for the west but you guys don't see it that way. If I had been in charge of that command, I would have turned those mud houses and rotten brown roofs upside down. Dahomey would have been filled up with refugees.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Ngodigha1(m): 5:28pm On Oct 10, 2012
dayokanu:

Anusz-loving yorubie, Murtala was a serving head of state compared to the fradulent Okotie Ebor or the arabic and islamic trained teachers.
Buy some brains niggi.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by dayokanu(m): 5:28pm On Oct 10, 2012
ayobase:

Comparison(s) based on what pls?
Curious!

Because Dimka killed Murtala he is asking why they didnt kill Middle belters and comparing it to the killing of the Sardauna , the Aare Ona Kakanfo, the prime Minister and the minister of Finance

1 Like

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Ngodigha1(m): 5:29pm On Oct 10, 2012
whitecat007: You can still do that and don't patronize us. Yours is a kiss of death as nothing good has and wil come from ndibo.
Monkey, phuch off
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ayobase(m): 5:31pm On Oct 10, 2012
Ngodigha1:
@Ayo, Prof Achebe, did not only criticise Awo, but also Gowon and Ojukwu. Its just that some Yorubas are no better than muslims who go on rampage anytime the truth is said about muhammed.

My bad, based on posts here so far, thought he critisized Awo only.
U can see what Im talking about. CONCLUSION based on what I have read on here. Guess u know where Im going to!
Lets not talk about Muhammed now.
Just as some yorubas are not better, so are some Igbos (me no hate Igbos, but truth be told)
Why blaming the same person that begged u not to declare war cos of the KNOWN aftermath (and Im not saying that Awo is a saint)
U gat me laughing with ur signature....Awori and Yoruba!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 10, 2012
Ngodigha1:
Monkey, phuch off

But apparently you are real baboon! cheesy cheesy
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 5:40pm On Oct 10, 2012
let them keep claiming other people's land. They think those in Hague work with anything other than facts or have time for tribal sentiments.They forgot that most of the area that is now nigeria was part of cameroon. Always claiming other people's land.
truth4meal: I pity the morons liking dis ur lies and deceits...check the 1914 map of Nigeria which constitute part of the evidence tendered by Cameroon you will see that Bakassi is never part of Nigeria. Cameroun was hold in trust by Nigeria and when they decided to leave the souther cameroon left but the Northern Cameroon melted into present day Nigeria. Get ur facts right - start from who is to blame for the genocide during the civil war - Ojukwu or his soldiers?

1 Like

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 5:46pm On Oct 10, 2012
And ibos are going to not even pay the bigger prize but the biggest in africa history.
Wily+Wily:
As a middle man, i believe no matter how long it takes in future Yorubas are going to pay a big prize, but the problem is the innocent is going to suffer it.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by nku5: 5:48pm On Oct 10, 2012
This whole achebe article business and the back and forth so far proves that its a lot easier to wallow in ignorance than face the rigours of learning and understanding the truth for ones self.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Ngodigha1(m): 5:54pm On Oct 10, 2012
ayobase:

My bad, based on posts here so far, thought he critisized Awo only.
U can see what Im talking about. CONCLUSION based on what I have read on here. Guess u know where Im going to!
Lets not talk about Muhammed now.
Just as some yorubas are not better, so are some Igbos (me no hate Igbos, but truth be told)
Why blaming the same person that begged u not to declare war cos of the KNOWN aftermath (and Im not saying that Awo is a saint)
U gat me laughing with ur signature....Awori and Yoruba!
About my signature-It highlights a common problem found in Igboland and yorubaland. Aworis disown yorubas when it pleases them and Ikwerres do the same to Ndigbo when it pleases them.
About Awo, people shouldn't be angry because no one has accused him falsely. Prof Achebe is a fearless, if colonialist do evil he will say so , if F.G does evil, he will do the same and refuse greek gifts from them. Hence in Awo's case, he has said things from the way he saw it during those dark periods.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 5:57pm On Oct 10, 2012
you should be leaving for your cave, Yoruba man speaking Yoruba on Yorubaman 's website. Your brain is rusted.
Ngodigha1:
Monkey, go back to your cave as you are not making any sense here. This is not a place to seek for cheap attention. Scram, idiott.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 5:59pm On Oct 10, 2012
Abi oooo!
donroxy:

chairman,
stop beating ur breastless chest.......ThanGod u re alive today and healthy........why can't u form ur own Army, lead ur battalion and Match towards the SOUTHWEST OF NIGERIA............ur grandfathers did it, U can also do It
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ayobase(m): 6:01pm On Oct 10, 2012
dayokanu:

Because Dimka killed Murtala he is asking why they didnt kill Middle belters and comparing it to the killing of the Sardauna , the Aare Ona Kakanfo, the prime Minister and the minister of Finance

LOL....I gerrit!
The failed coup by Dimka led to the execution of 2 Colonels, 4 Lt. Colonels, 7 Majors, 6 Captains, 9 Lieutenants, 7 non-commissioned officers and a civilian broadcaster.
If the middle belt wasn't LEVELLED due to the sin of these people led by Dimka, then Civil war should have been avoided by simply bringing the perpetrators to book just as Dimka and his cohort!
My point is, the War was avoidable!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by whitecat007: 6:02pm On Oct 10, 2012
Eeewwww!!! breastless but hairy.
donroxy:

chairman,
stop beating ur breastless chest.......ThanGod u re alive today and healthy........why can't u form ur own Army, lead ur battalion and Match towards the SOUTHWEST OF NIGERIA............ur grandfathers did it, U can also do It
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ayobase(m): 6:04pm On Oct 10, 2012
Ngodigha1:
About my signature-It highlights a common problem found in Igboland and yorubaland. Aworis disown yorubas when it pleases them and Ikwerres do the same to Ndigbo when it pleases them.
About Awo, people shouldn't be angry because no one has accused him falsely. Prof Achebe is a fearless, if colonialist do evil he will say so , if F.G does evil, he will do the same and refuse greek gifts from them. Hence in Awo's case, he has said things from the way he saw it during those dark periods.

....and Ojukwu.............
Finish ur statement na!
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by dayokanu(m): 6:16pm On Oct 10, 2012
ayobase:

LOL....I gerrit!
The failed coup by Dimka led to the execution of 2 Colonels, 4 Lt. Colonels, 7 Majors, 6 Captains, 9 Lieutenants, 7 non-commissioned officers and a civilian broadcaster.
If the middle belt wasn't LEVELLED due to the sin of these people led by Dimka, then Civil war should have been avoided by simply bringing the perpetrators to book just as Dimka and his cohort!
My point is, the War was avoidable!

In the first coup the people killed were not just Political leaders some of them were cultural and spiritual leaders of the regions

Sardauna was the spiritual and political head of the north, Akintola was the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland. The manner which Azikwe and Okpara escaped the killing pointed to it that it was a tribally planned event. After the coup Igbos everywhere were making almanacs, Music about how Ibos crushed the others.

Even goin in the North and selling posters showing Sardaunas head under the feet of Nzeogwu and ironsi.

Well they sowed the fruit of war and they reaped it bountifully. Why did you think Adekunle took the war personal? because a reverred leader in his community who committed no crime was brutally murdered by Ibo soldiers.

Ironsi had 6 months to take action but did nothing and was pussyfooting all over.

Sparing Okpara and Azikwe was their biggest undoing and 48hrs after the coup, Ifeajuna was hosted in Enugu by Michael Okpara
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Katsumoto: 6:30pm On Oct 10, 2012
dayokanu:

In the first coup the people killed were not just Political leaders some of them were cultural and spiritual leaders of the regions

Sardauna was the spiritual and political head of the north, Akintola was the Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland. The manner which Azikwe and Okpara escaped the killing pointed to it that it was a tribally planned event. After the coup Igbos everywhere were making almanacs, Music about how Ibos crushed the others.

Even goin in the North and selling posters showing Sardaunas head under the feet of Nzeogwu and ironsi.

Well they sowed the fruit of war and they reaped it bountifully. Why did you think Adekunle took the war personal? because a reverred leader in his community who committed no crime was brutally murdered by Ibo soldiers.

Ironsi had 6 months to take action but did nothing and was pussyfooting all over.

Sparing Okpara and Azikwe was their biggest undoing and 48hrs after the coup, Ifeajuna was hosted in Enugu by Michael Okpara

Just to point out that the premiers in the North and West were killed but the two who were Igbo (Okpara and Osadebey) in the East and Mid-west were spared.

1 Like

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Ngodigha1(m): 6:44pm On Oct 10, 2012
Katsumoto:

Just to point out that the premiers in the North and West were killed but the two who were Igbo (Okpara and Osadebey) in the East and Mid-west were spared.
Akintola resisted arrest knowing fully that his Otumokpu will save him. But guess what, it failed him.
Balewa wasn't killed by anyone. He died of natural causes e.g asthma.
Bello-he so much believed in the protection of his islamic police, he underestimated the force of the boys in khaki, and so they paid for their lives.
Am sure that if Shagari and Ekwueme had resisted arrest that fateful day in december 83, they would have suffered the same fate as the trio discussd above.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by dayokanu(m): 6:46pm On Oct 10, 2012
Ngodigha1:
Akintola resisted arrest knowing fully that his Otumokpu will save him. But guess what, it failed him.
Bello-he so much believed in the protection of his islamic police, he underestimated the force of the boys in khaki, and so they paid for their lives.
Am sure that if Shagari and Ekwueme had resisted arrest that fateful day in december 83, they would have suffered the same fate as the trio discussd above.

And what Happened to Azikwe, Okpara and Osadebey?

Azikwe had ulcer and was forgotten, Okpara has Constipation and was forgotten, Osadebey has ezcema and was forgotten

3 Likes

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Ngodigha1(m): 6:52pm On Oct 10, 2012
dayokanu:

Azikwe had ulcer and was forgotten, Okpara has Constipation and was forgotten, Osadebey has ezcema and was forgotten
Azikiwe wasn't in the country then.
Okpara was shielded by commonwealth and other ministers in Nigeria that period the coupist struck.
Osadebe, a governor in a new state and hasn't known any corruption.
Personally, am not happy they killed Akintola, but just like any other yorugbaman, he so much believed in otumokpu for his protection. It is still widely practised till date in the s.west, isn't it?.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Katsumoto: 6:53pm On Oct 10, 2012
Ngodigha1:

So did Okpara, Zik, and Osadebey resist arrest?

Or were cooling off in the Caribbean while their colleagues got murdered in their sleep? (Zik)
Or were they sleeping soundly in their beds with no soldiers to wake them up with submachine gun fire ?(Osadebey)
Or were they hosting the leader of the coupists to a tea party ?(Okpara)

Also when Shodeinde and Ademulegun were being shot in bed with their wives, one wonders why Ironsi was missed despite being the most senior officer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by vanbonattel: 6:55pm On Oct 10, 2012
dayokanu:

and Dayokanu has brain damage and will be flushed down the toilet

1 Like

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Ngodigha1(m): 6:56pm On Oct 10, 2012
Katsumoto:

Or were colling off in the Caribbean while their colleagues got murdered in their sleep? (Zik)
Or were they sleeping soundly in their beds with no soldiers to wake them up with submachine gun fire ?(Osadebey)

Also when Shodeinde and Ademulegun were being shot in bed with their wives, one wonders why Ironsi was missed despite being the most senior officer.
See the post a minute before yours, that aswers your question.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by vanbonattel: 6:57pm On Oct 10, 2012
Katsumoto:

Or were colling off in the Caribbean while their colleagues got murdered in their sleep? (Zik)

nobody should justify the action of the coupists, they were completely stewpid, what followed, the pogroms was also condemnable, but the betrayal of awo was the last straw.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Katsumoto: 7:00pm On Oct 10, 2012
van bonattel:

nobody should justify the action of the coupists, they were completely stewpid, what followed, the pogroms was also condemnable, but the betrayal of awo was the last straw.

I agree wholeheartedly that the pogroms were beastly but Awo betrayed no one.
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by ektbear: 7:04pm On Oct 10, 2012
DK and Kats:

What you don't seem to understand is that a coup in which
a) the primary actors were Igbo
b) and all of the victims non-Igbo, and
c) in fact all the senior Igbos (Ironsi, Zik, Okpara and Osadebey, etc) emerged unscathed

was a selfless, non-sectarian, patriotic coup for the best interest of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by vanbonattel: 7:04pm On Oct 10, 2012
Katsumoto:

I agree wholeheartedly that the pogroms were beastly but Awo betrayed no one.

according to what I heard, awo agreed with zik to go back and declare oduduwa republic, but thought against it and dropped the idea later, instead suggesting the starvation policy when it seems the war was taking tioo long?
Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by Katsumoto: 7:07pm On Oct 10, 2012
Ngodigha1:
See the post a minute before yours, that aswers your question.

You must be a joker.

Azikiwe was out of the from November 1965 on the pretense that he was ill but his personal physician, Dr Idehen, left him in the caribbean and returned to Nigeria when he realised that Azikiwe did not want to return to Nigeria despite being well.

What was the proof of corruption against Balewa, Bello, Akintola, Okotie-Eboh that Okpara, Zik, Osadebey, Madiwe weren't guilty of?

Okpara was protected by the commonwealth in Enugu when the commonwealth prime minister's conference was being held in Lagos? When did Enugu become the capital? Was Okpara the prime minister? So the Commonwealth were in Okpara's house in Enugu at 6-7 in the morning when Okpara was serving tea to Ifeajuna?

What about Ironsi? He was protected by the CIA, Mossad, KGB, & MI6?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Achebe On Awolowo: Has He Gone Too Far? by vanbonattel: 7:09pm On Oct 10, 2012
ekt_bear: DK and Kats:

What you don't seem to understand is that a coup in which
a) the primary actors were Igbo
b) and all of the victims no-Igbo, and
c) in fact all the senior Igbos (Ironsi, Zik, Okpara and Osadebey, etc) emerged unscathed

was a selfless, non-sectarian, patriotic coup for the best interest of Nigeria.

agreed, the coup was not well thought out, no balance, no future plans and in short, idiotic. But the northerners should have retaliated and killed the coupists, or target some top ranking igbo soldiers and kill them, or even target zik, okpara etc. But because of their hunger for blood, because they are demons which should not be related to anybody, they turned and started killing innocent women and children who had nothing to do with the planning or the execution of the coup, I still ask,

The eleven year old little girls rapped to death during the pogroms bu 13 soldiers, what was her crime? did she shoot the sarduana??

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Baheejah Mahmood: If Fulani Go On Strike For A Week, Nigerians Will Know Their / Charles Soludo & His Wife, Nonye, Celebrate 29th Marriage Anniversary (Pix) / Prof. Osinbajo Campaigns In Ondo In Style - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.