Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,662 members, 7,889,165 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 01:30 AM

Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? (7432 Views)

What Has Blogging Turned Into? / Which Is The Best Application Tool For Web Development? / I Have Got The New Mtn Code For Making Calls Free To All Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by decoslim(m): 3:00pm On Oct 08, 2012
ghettodreamz:

Stop contradicting yourself, if you edit your thread's title, then that would be better.

Thank...)There was a mistake with d title before..but now its rectified.
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by SisiKill1: 3:32pm On Oct 08, 2012
KINGwax: must you jes rant?

Blows Raspberry at Kingwax
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by mrperfect(m): 3:57pm On Oct 08, 2012
We should encourage starting something, blogging is one of such. To start a Blog you need basically three things: webaddress, hosting and your content. Order webaddress and hosting from our company,we will install your blog free of charge. Webaddress is N2000,hosting starts from N25O a month,Phone 08034283159
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by SirMethod1(m): 3:58pm On Oct 08, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Why has blogging become a tool for making money. . .As opposed what...a tool for stealing? Okay I don't get the question.

Here's better question....why can't people mind their own effing business? Are the owners of the abandoned blogs complaining? Are the people complaining of abandoned spaces? When did the motivation for why people do something that doesn't affect or harm anybody become something to be alarmed about?

Lord save us from Nigerians and their myopic mentality. Other countries encourage people to turn their hobbies into incoming generating tools, we sit on our moral High to know Chair and condemn ingenuity. undecided
I believe u are a Nigerian
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by weaseloo: 4:20pm On Oct 08, 2012
222Martins: Blogging is not an end itself, it's a means to an end. Blogging is not a business model itself, it's a supportive pillar to a business model. If you blog to make money, you definitely will make nothing. But if you blog to share valuable knowledge with others, the money will follow without much effort on your part. Today, i run the biggest business blog in Nigeria, but it was not so when i started. It took me three years to get to that stage.

What's your blog address?
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by tmontee: 4:33pm On Oct 08, 2012
mrperfect: We should encourage starting something, blogging is one of such. To start a Blog you need basically three things: webaddress, hosting and your content. Order webaddress and hosting from our company,we will install your blog free of charge.address is N2000,hosting starts from N25O a month 08034283159

What about content? grin
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by otigainspires(m): 4:48pm On Oct 08, 2012
You are right Deco Slim, the internet has been ravaged by some so called "bloggers" whose only interest is making the money and not thinking of adding value to the readers. what more do you expect? opening one is easy and free.... lipsrsealed
But it has also heped in putting business online, it has also been abused.

http://www.otigainspires.com
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by alexhl(m): 4:52pm On Oct 08, 2012
deco slim, i love your post, but unfortunately your alexa rank is poor, we will hardly believe your claims, but to improve your alexa rank do only this 4 things:
http://www.lakotai.com/blog/2012/09/19/positive-alexa-rank-do-only-these-4-important-things/
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by decoslim(m): 4:55pm On Oct 08, 2012
hmmm
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by decoslim(m): 5:05pm On Oct 08, 2012
Blog should be a platform to share your ideas
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by hubreality(m): 5:06pm On Oct 08, 2012
deco_slim:

I didn't say why has blogging become a tool for making money...

I said:: "why has blogging become only a tool for making money"

Please don't get me wrong
I don't think it has become the only tool for making money online. If Linda Ikeji per say is not passionate about blogging in the first place, she wouldn't be a successful blogger making huge money. Frankly speaking people who primarily start blogging to make money online get frustrated along the line and quit easily without patience because Adsense is never the easy way to make money online as over hyped by a few acclaimed Internet marketers.
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by decoslim(m): 5:20pm On Oct 08, 2012
alexhl: deco slim, i love your post, but unfortunately your alexa rank is poor, we will hardly believe your claims, but to improve your alexa rank do only this 4 things:
http://www.lakotai.com/blog/2012/09/19/positive-alexa-rank-do-only-these-4-important-things/

Thanks I appreciate. I will check it out
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by decoslim(m): 5:25pm On Oct 08, 2012
@otigainspires:
You are right Deco Slim, the internet has been ravaged by some so called "bloggers" whose only interest is making the money and not thinking of adding value to the readers. what more do you expect? opening one is easy and free.... lipsrsealed
But it has also heped in putting business online, it has also been abused.

http://www.otigainspires.com

Thanks for being in support..I appreciate
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by ghettodreamz(m): 5:28pm On Oct 08, 2012
As far as I'm concerned, it's no crime blogging for money. We are in the information age, where people are more interested in visiting a site that's more interactive in a way and user friendly, unlike owning a static website. There are countless number of people who are making 6 figures earnings from blogging in developed countries and Nigeria shouldn't be an exemption. Linda Ikeji might be making it big time blogging, but it doesn't mean she should or she would be the only or last person to make money blogging as a Nigerian.

If you can help provide information to people,giving out your expertise ideas on a subject matter, there is no crime in trying to monetize it so it can in-turn pay you back for your time and your knowledge. Copying articles from other blogs is not a crime, unless if you do 100% lifting, words for words, I think if sensibly done, there shouldn't be a problem, but there are so many people who go into blogging for the money, if you want to make it blogging, first let go the idea of making money from blogging, is not a quick money scheme and don't expect to make it within few months of starting. I think it's disgusting seeing people copying other people just because someone is blogging on gossips and entertainment and making it doesn't mean if you do the same you would.

First, as a starter or aspiring blogger, erase the idea of making money from blogging. Think about what you would do best in, think about your passion, what are you good at doing naturally, what area do you think you are knowledgeable at, what do people really come to you for help in, like do you have people who come to you for ideas about how to go about something or maybe you are the type that love watching movies, music,watch football, or any sport. Are you a tech person? Are you a good cook? What is your hobby? Are you a motivational speaker? How often do you find yourself giving advice to your friends as regarding their relationship, marriages,sex-ual lives? Are you a medical student/doctor,nurse or lawyer who really knows his/her onions?

Over the years. I have seen countless number of people who started with the major motive of making money from blogging but ended up being dejected and frustrated, because money was not forthcoming. They failed simply because they entered the blogosphere with the sole aim of making money and when they don't see the money coming, they loss interest so soon and end up a failure. There are many more to blogging than blogging itself, the first thing is finding out what you are so passionate about and you think people would love to hear you talk about, there are millions of people out there, looking for one information or the other and they are ready to pay for it too. It's simply ridiculous seeing everybody want to blog about fashion, entertainment and gossip just because someone else was doing it, that's the major reason many people failed at it.

Over the years, I've seen many blogs created around internet marketing niche,and shocking enough after few months they disappeared into the thin air.

And guess what? All those ventures failed. Why? You have to be passionate about what you’re doing or you’ll give up after the first setback. The more you love what you do the more you will persevere. Also, when you capitalize on your unique qualities and gifts, you’re making it easier on yourself. If you start something you’re halfway into or that doesn’t capture your talents, you’re making it much harder to succeed.

There are 2 key factors to blogging success; knowing what to do and consistently doing it, and that's where blogging your passion come to the scene. Discover your passion because it is a key to attract success and my advice to you this time – get in touch with your passions. If you have problem finding out your true passion, then I suggest you try this approach;

Take a sheet of paper, make three lists. On the first list, write down all of the things you are good at — everything that you do well and that you have mastery over. On the second list, write down everything you enjoy — your hobbies, special interests, games, TV shows, etc. Finally, list everything that gives you a sense of meaning and purpose. Now, find common elements across all the three lists you created, that should give you an idea on what your passion really is. Don’t go for the “se*xy” ones just because you think they’ll be the most exciting or have the most potential. Focus on those that feel right for you — those that blend well with your skills, interests, and greater purpose.

A few years ago, I used to have a blog that was focuses on Nigerian Universities & Gossips. I created the blog with the sole aim of sharing information majorly for the University admission seekers, platform to connect with students from other universities. No sooner I'd started it than I noticed increase in traffic to my blog, had people following & commenting on my posts, and had people calling me on the phone asking for help with information about one school or the other and after a while, I implemented the Google Adsense program on it, made some bucks. Barely few years later, my blog was hacked down and that was the end of it. I have a friend who blogs on women issues and she is making some income from it on monthly basis. Half a loaf is better than none, they say; At least is better than been idle, ending up in the labour market- job hunting as a fresh graduate.

Pick something you are passionate about, and start blogging about it.Partner up with other bloggers who were further down the road than you so you can discover where you should spend your time,finding out what you are doing right/wrong and what you need to do just to make blogging a sweet experience for you.

Join forums where you can meet people blogging- who have the same passion as you do, ask questions, implement what you learn from them to your blog. Remember it doesn't have to be perfect at the beginning, just keep writing as much as possible. You don't have to care about how many people were reading your posts, as long as you are doing what you were passionate about. Many of the pro bloggers today started with little or no idea about what blogging really was, just give it a shot, and take a consistent daily action. Do not despise little beginning, rome wasn't built in a day and don't forget drops of water makes the mighty ocean.

Just start as a novice and walk your way up to the pro-level,invest more time in equipping yourself, learning more strategies and tactics on blogging and monetizing it. After a great while, you'd be surprised at how interesting and fun blogging could be.

The rule of thumb is, Discover Your Passion: Do What You Love And The Money Will Follow
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by Kennycee(m): 5:30pm On Oct 08, 2012
Emmy9ite: Very true, the primary aim of blogs should be to pass knowledge or informations. As entrepreneurs, you shouldn't serve people for free cos you are not a slave, serve and make gains. If your main aim is to make money, you will end up loosing the account. There are other avenues to make millions. My blog is meant to encourage business minded people and youths who are seeking jobs. Fell free to read and comment @ www.siremmy9ite..com

Nice blog u have @emmy,what are the necessary courses one can take inother to open and control a blog
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by decoslim(m): 5:42pm On Oct 08, 2012
ghettodreamz: As far as I'm concerned, it's no crime blogging for money. We are in the information age, where people are more interested in visiting a site that's more interactive in a way and user friendly, unlike owning a static website. There are countless number of people who are making 6 figures earnings from blogging in developed countries and Nigeria shouldn't be an exemption. Linda Ikeji might be making it big time blogging, but it doesn't mean she should or she would be the only or last person to make money blogging as a Nigerian.

If you can help provide information to people,giving out your expertise ideas on a subject matter, there is no crime in trying to monetize it so it can in-turn pay you back for your time and your knowledge. Copying articles from other blogs is not a crime, unless if you do 100% lifting, words for words, I think if sensibly done, there shouldn't be a problem, but there are so many people who go into blogging for the money, if you want to make it blogging, first let go the idea of making money from blogging, is not a quick money scheme and don't expect to make it within few months of starting. I think it's disgusting seeing people copying other people just because someone is blogging on gossips and entertainment and making it doesn't mean if you do the same you would.

First, as a starter or aspiring blogger, erase the idea of making money from blogging. Think about what you would do best in, think about your passion, what are you good at doing naturally, what area do you think you are knowledgeable at, what do people really come to you for help in, like do you have people who come to you for ideas about how to go about something or maybe you are the type that love watching movies, music,watch football, or any sport. Are you a tech person? Are you a good cook? What is your hobby? Are you a motivational speaker? How often do you find yourself giving advice to your friends as regarding their relationship, marriages,sex-ual lives? Are you a medical student/doctor,nurse or lawyer who really knows his/her onions?

Over the years. I have seen countless number of people who started with the major motive of making money from blogging but ended up being dejected and frustrated, because money was not forthcoming. They failed simply because they entered the blogosphere with the sole aim of making money and when they don't see the money coming, they loss interest so soon and end up a failure. There are many more to blogging than blogging itself, the first thing is finding out what you are so passionate about and you think people would love to hear you talk about, there are millions of people out there, looking for one information or the other and they are ready to pay for it too. It's simply ridiculous seeing everybody want to blog about fashion, entertainment and gossip just because someone else was doing it, that's the major reason many people failed at it.

Over the years, I've seen many blogs created around internet marketing niche,and shocking enough after few months they disappeared into the thin air.

And guess what? All those ventures failed. Why? You have to be passionate about what you’re doing or you’ll give up after the first setback. The more you love what you do the more you will persevere. Also, when you capitalize on your unique qualities and gifts, you’re making it easier on yourself. If you start something you’re halfway into or that doesn’t capture your talents, you’re making it much harder to succeed.

There are 2 key factors to blogging success; knowing what to do and consistently doing it, and that's where blogging your passion come to the scene. Discover your passion because it is a key to attract success and my advice to you this time – get in touch with your passions. If you have problem finding out your true passion, then I suggest you try this approach;

Take a sheet of paper, make three lists. On the first list, write down all of the things you are good at — everything that you do well and that you have mastery over. On the second list, write down everything you enjoy — your hobbies, special interests, games, TV shows, etc. Finally, list everything that gives you a sense of meaning and purpose. Now, find common elements across all the three lists you created, that should give you an idea on what your passion really is. Don’t go for the “se*xy” ones just because you think they’ll be the most exciting or have the most potential. Focus on those that feel right for you — those that blend well with your skills, interests, and greater purpose.

A few years ago, I used to have a blog that was focused on Nigerian Universities & Gossips. I created the blog with the sole aim of sharing information majorly for the University admission seekers, platform to connect with students from other universities. No sooner I'd started it than I noticed increase in traffic to my blog, had people following & commenting on my posts, and had people calling me on the phone asking for help with information about one school or the other and after a while, I implemented the Google Adsense program on it, made some bucks. Barely few years later, my blog was hacked down and that was the end of it. I have a friend who blogs on women issues and she is making some income from it on monthly basis. Half a loaf is better than none, they say; At least is better than been idle, ending up in the labour market- job hunting as a fresh graduate.

Pick something you are passionate about, and start blogging about it.Partner up with other bloggers who were further down the road than you so you can discover where you should spend your time,finding out what you are doing right/wrong and what you need to do just to make blogging a sweet experience for you.

Join forums where you can meet people blogging- who have the same passion as you do, ask questions, implement what you learn from them to your blog. Remember it doesn't have to be perfect at the beginning, just keep writing as much as possible. You don't have to care about how many people were reading your posts, as long as you are doing what you were passionate about. Many of the pro bloggers today started with little or no idea about what blogging really was, just give it a shot, and take a consistent daily action. Do not despise little beginning, rome wasn't built in a day and don't forget drops of water makes the mighty ocean.

Just start as a novice and walk your way up to the pro-level,invest more time in equipping yourself, learning more strategies and tactics on blogging and monetizing it. After a great while, you'd be surprised at how interesting and fun blogging could be.

The rule of thumb is, Discover Your Passion: Do What You Love And The Money Will Follow

Thanks.. You've said so much on this topic....you've explain more better...

Do you've a blog..I did like to associate with people like you...

How can we go about that
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by ghettodreamz(m): 5:47pm On Oct 08, 2012
deco_slim:

Thanks.. You've said so much on this topic....you've explain more better...

Do you've a blog..I did like to associate with people like you...

How can we go about that

I haven't blogged for 7 years, but planning to venture back into it soon.
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by hubreality(m): 5:49pm On Oct 08, 2012
Newbie bloggers should take note that copying someone blog/website's content to makeup your blog posts without an express permission from the owner or reference to the source is a crime and blog could be penalized by search engines when it comes to ranking well and placement.
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by decoslim(m): 5:53pm On Oct 08, 2012
ghettodreamz:

I haven't blogged for 7 years, but planning to venture back into it soon.

Ok...I want u to resume bro...

You article have won my hearth

You should definitely resume blogging

For that I will provide you with webhost for 3month with fully design blog on it...all for free.

All you've to do is get ur domain name...

That's if are interested.

Or better still can u become a author on my blog?
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by decoslim(m): 5:55pm On Oct 08, 2012
hubreality: Newbie bloggers should take note that copying someone blog/website's content to makeup your blog posts without an express permission from the owner is a crime and blog could be penalized by search engines when it comes to ranking well and placement.

Thanks..there is need to emphasize it

1 Like

Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by ghettodreamz(m): 6:01pm On Oct 08, 2012
deco_slim:

Ok...I want u to resume bro...

You article have won my hearth

You should definitely resume blogging

For that I will provide you with webhost for 3month with fully design blog on it...all for free.

All you've to do is get ur domain name...

That's if are interested.

Or better still can u become a author on my blog?

Thank you so much, that's very kind of you. I'm actually looking into the international market, to find a good niche with less competition to explore. You can PM me and we will talk more better. Once again, thank you!
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by decoslim(m): 6:11pm On Oct 08, 2012
ghettodreamz:

Thank you so much, that's very kind of you. I'm actually looking into the international market, to find a good niche with less competition to explore. You can PM me and we will talk more better. Once again, thank you!

Nice....I will contact u soon via PM
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by zoommigthy(m): 6:18pm On Oct 08, 2012
ZOOMMIGTHY is a budget webspace hosting service offerings provider, offering you a 1-stop solution for managing your personal or business web presence.
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by oyeakd(m): 9:02pm On Oct 08, 2012
alexhl: deco slim, i love your post, but unfortunately your alexa rank is poor, we will hardly believe your claims, but to improve your alexa rank do only this 4 things:

Spot on with your alexa rank article

Google page ranking, SEO and getting big sites to link in 2 ur site also helps to improve alexa ranking
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by oyeakd(m): 9:09pm On Oct 08, 2012
ghettodreamz: As far as I'm concerned, it's no crime blogging for money. We are in the information age, where people are more interested in visiting a site that's more interactive in a way and user friendly, unlike owning a static website. There are countless number of people who are making 6 figures earnings from blogging in developed countries and Nigeria shouldn't be an exemption. Linda Ikeji might be making it big time blogging, but it doesn't mean she should or she would be the only or last person to make money blogging as a Nigerian.

A few years ago, I used to have a blog that was focuses on Nigerian Universities & Gossips. I created the blog with the sole aim of sharing information majorly for the University admission seekers, platform to connect with students from other universities. No sooner I'd started it than I noticed increase in traffic to my blog, had people following & commenting on my posts, and had people calling me on the phone asking for help with information about one school or the other and after a while, I implemented the Google Adsense program on it, made some bucks. Barely few years later, my blog was hacked down and that was the end of it. I have a friend who blogs on women issues and she is making some income from it on monthly basis. Half a loaf is better than none, they say; At least is better than been idle, ending up in the labour market- job hunting as a fresh graduate.

true words...
Also be consistent with your blogging ...Bloggers who make it big, publish at least 5 - 20 posts everyday.
Be patient - Linda Ikeji, NJO and Bella Naija started their blogs over 4 years ago. Now they r making money.
Stay abreast with fellow bloggers/micro-bloggers. Google Reader, Tweetdeck and Facebook are your best friends for this one.
Speed to market is key. If u break the article/news/music (exclusive) first, u can be sure of mad traffic.

1 Like

Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by mkoabiola: 11:27pm On Oct 08, 2012
Pls oooo! Hw dd dey mak money frm blog(s) and who pays dem?
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by ace1(m): 7:00am On Oct 09, 2012
Abujafood: Blogs like Nairaland are money making tools because of their marketing potential! Who doesn't know marketing and money making go together!

Deres a difference between a blog and an online forum, sir
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by otodeluxe(m): 7:23am On Oct 09, 2012
Abujafood: Blogs like Nairaland are money making tools because of their marketing potential! Who doesn't know marketing and money making go together!
undecided

Please Nairaland is a forum not a blog. And I wonder if some people don't have brains. There's a different between Making Money from a Blog and Blogging for Money.
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by otodeluxe(m): 7:24am On Oct 09, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Why has blogging become a tool for making money. . .As opposed what...a tool for stealing? Okay I don't get the question.

Here's better question....why can't people mind their own effing business? Are the owners of the abandoned blogs complaining? Are the people complaining of abandoned spaces? When did the motivation for why people do something that doesn't affect or harm anybody become something to be alarmed about?

Lord save us from Nigerians and their myopic mentality. Other countries encourage people to turn their hobbies into incoming generating tools, we sit on our moral High to know Chair and condemn ingenuity. undecided

Exactly what I was about saying. Thank you smart a**!
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by decoslim(m): 7:29am On Oct 09, 2012
mko abiola: Pls oooo! Hw dd dey mak money frm blog(s) and who pays dem?

To make money of your blog,,,I've compiled an article on that@

http://wanentrepreneur.com/2012/07/4-efective-ways-to-monetize-your-blog/
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by decoslim(m): 7:34am On Oct 09, 2012
otodeluxe:

Exactly what I was about saying. Thank you smart a**!

You should not that my title didn't say why has blogging become a tool for making money?

I said: why has blogging become only a tool for making money..

With my statement:::people are making money from their blogs
Re: Why Has Blogging Become Only A Tool For Making Money? by 53cur3m0d3(m): 9:00am On Oct 09, 2012
acidosis™:
seems everyone on this thread own a blog..
just check their signatuture..

well mine is coming....soon....and when am done..everyone is goin close down...
#fact
#Fact is that wen ur blog coms up to close others down,don't U think they'll be waitin by the corner with cudgels,sticks and all manners of crackdown weapons to giv U a lesson?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Buying A Domain Name / Are You On Skype? Give Me Your Skype ID, I Have Micro Jobs For You / Webmasters: Why Are You Killing Your Blog Yourself?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.