Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,195 members, 7,887,460 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 09:12 AM

The Role Of Women In The Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Role Of Women In The Church (1225 Views)

Lightning Kills Women In Church In Imo (photo) / 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church / The Stand Of Women In The Bible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Role Of Women In The Church by UjSizzle(f): 2:37pm On Oct 08, 2012
This is more of an opinion seeking post.

1COR 14:34-35
'The women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.'

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't this also include preaching? If yes, then why are there so many female pastors today? Or am I just misinterpreting all this?
What do you suppose should be the woman's role in the church?
Re: The Role Of Women In The Church by okeyxyz(m): 3:08pm On Oct 08, 2012
It means women should not be pastors, teachers, evangelists, prophets, apostles, bishops.
Women should not lead the church, else they'd be prone to making wrong judgements.

Anybody or church who appoints women ministers has gone "astray", though I don't blame them because most people judge spiritual matters based on human morales/values. We now expect spiritual doctrine to conform to our systems of se.xual equality, rights, and even homose.xuality. While I believe in these "rights" however I keep them in the secular world where they belong and separate from spiritual doctrine.
Re: The Role Of Women In The Church by Ptolomeus(m): 4:41pm On Oct 08, 2012
The existence of women pastors, has only one reason:
Economic.
Christianity is not a cult defined, and all actions aimed at economic benefit.
Jesus may have had a woman apostle?

In Judaism, it is the religion that Catholicism is born, the woman must stay secluded in the temple, the woman can not preach or learn ...

Christianity fits all, at their convenience (economics minister).
My respects.
Re: The Role Of Women In The Church by ednut1(m): 11:16am On Oct 10, 2012
its shameful seein posters of phophetess, pastor mr and mrs, its all about scammin d congregation, rubbish
Re: The Role Of Women In The Church by ParisLove2(f): 3:10pm On Oct 10, 2012
uj_sizzle: This is more of an opinion seeking post.

'The women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.'

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't this also include preaching? If yes, then why are there so many female pastors today? Or am I just misinterpreting all this?
No it does not include preaching. Given in Paul's earlier letter which he allowed women to pray and Prophesy, the reason presumably maybe was women were asking question inappropriately in doing so interrupting the worship service.

Even if one were to argue that Paul forbids women from speaking at all, this would only be restricted to married women as the context shows. It says nothing about single women.

Corinthians11:3-16 3 But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head— it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head. 7 A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.
13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16 If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no such practice—nor do the churches of God.

Although Paul states that man is given positional headship, he clearly states that in Christ both men and women are co-dependent. Paul also states that women can lead and even prophecy in the church.

Secondly As bible makes makes it clear it's not proper for a woman to pray with her head uncovered, but if she has long hair, it glory to her; for her long hair is given to her as her covering

Thirdly if any seems to contentious or argumentative about this, sorry I've no such custom, neither do the church of God. cheesy kiss
Re: The Role Of Women In The Church by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 10, 2012
uj_sizzle: This is more of an opinion seeking post.

I like to believe this post was written by a black man/woman. The bible has replaced your brain.
Re: The Role Of Women In The Church by Image123(m): 10:10pm On Oct 10, 2012
@OP and co,
Sure, infact preaching is the core of the message here

1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
1Co 14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

The writer of the epistle uses the law(the Old Testament) to validate and strengthen His command. He says "as also saith the law". It's not just the view of one man but of the whole Word of God. Women are not NORMALLY put in the position of leadership by God, it's very rare. Of the course, once in a while, where there is no man able, available or capable to lead, then God ,may choose a woman to lead, but this is very rare, unlike the case that the OP noted that there are MANY FEMALE PASTORS TODAY. The Word/command is further corroborated in the passage below.

1Ti 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
1Ti 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

i mean. if these passages were found in the old testament only, many may have some cause to dismiss it. But behold, two New Testament passages stare us in the face with the same thing. Unfortunately, many people are involved in a work that has no reward from God.

There are a million other roles in the church of God than to stand in the pulpit to teach or preach, or to pastor a congregation. It's like Adam and Eve, having many trees, all the trees in the planet Earth, but one. But they decided they needed to have that one tree badly. In the church of God, there are so many noble things to do. Firstly, in authority, the woman can head other women. The woman can lead children. In most churches, the women and the children are often more than the men. So obviously, a woman can lead a large percentage of the congregation.
The woman can evangelise, she is needed to 'win souls'. Talk about the BILLIONs of people, men and women that need to hear of the Saviour. Every believer is urgently needed in this field. The woman can travel from place to place, organise crusades, touch nations as it were in gospel propagation.
The woman can give, like those women that ministered to Jesus of their substance, and the woman whom Jesus said her deed of giving would be mentioned everywhere. There is a lot of need, this is a big role God is looking for any of His children to play, including women.
The woman can pray. My God! i know of no ministry as important as the ministry of prayer. We can go the length of the page expounding on the necessity of prayer. Your prayer can revive your church. your prayer can touch hearts that your teaching, and pulpit ministry may never touch.
The woman can sing. What good choir does not need a woman? Have you ever noted a man with an angelic voice? very rare iguess. But how common it is to refer to a woman's voice as angelic. We need angelic voices in the church. Forget all those fantasies of shouting from the pulpit that makes the voice hoarse and coarse. Give your voice the needed training, and put the church, even the world at your feet. What you doing, blind lady Fanny composed those thousands of songs, and you never composed one chorus yet. Na so so backup singer and dancer women dey line up for studio. Give us new hymns and songs, that will enter the spirit and blast into heaven. Sing let the angels pause to hear you.
The woman can be a good example to everyone in the church. You can even save an unbelieving husband by your conversation, so says the Bible. You can be a good example to others around you, women, men, young girls and boys, children. Let the children look up to you. Let them learn good things from you. Let them want to dress like you, talk like you, even walk like you. Children crave role models, and the ministry of teaching them majorly falls on the female folk, even more than the schools and the church building.
The woman can clean the church, just like the man and any other. Sweeping, gardening, landscaping, mopping, washing etc are done in your church i believe. You too can be in the cleaning department, or in the ushers department, abi no bi human being dey there? Drop your ogaHOOD at work, and come and display real labour in church sister.
There are many other things that are done in churches, or even lacking in churches that a woman can do. Find a need, walk up to the elders in charge, fulfil the need.

1 Like

Re: The Role Of Women In The Church by haibe(m): 2:13pm On Oct 11, 2012
After some pple will say it is wrong to obey and infact we are not to obey the law at all, is that not it that apostle paul uses to strenghten his command. Should we now say apostle paul contradicted himself.

@op that verse is clear, a woman shouldnt be preaching a message on the pulpit to everyone in church.

(1) (Reply)

Tithing: Right Or Wrong / Prayer Points For Rccg August Convention; Does Anyone Have Them? / The Jewish Messiah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.