Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,430 members, 7,917,347 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 12:33 AM

Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? (2976 Views)

A Chinese Emperor's Poem About Prophet Muhammad (SAW) / Some Of The Miracles Of The Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw). / The Death Of Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h): Question And Answer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by nextpart(m): 6:15pm On Oct 11, 2012
Can any honest muslim confirm or refute this?

When Muhammad received the first revelation from Gabriel, he was confused. He climped a high mountain and attempted to jump down to commit suicide.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by nextpart(m): 11:11pm On Oct 11, 2012
Since there is no refutation of the statement, it is assumed it is true. Then if is true, something must be wrong.

To attempt suicide is an evidence of psychic disturbance and demonic possession. There was no precedence that anyone who had contact with God or angels of God became so depressed and attempted to commit suicide.

John 13:
The Bible says Satan entered into Judas and he committed suicide.

Examples of those who had contact with God or His angels and there was no attempt to commit suicide:

Luke Chapter 1: Angel Gabriel appeared to Mary, a young woman and yet she was not so depressed and never attempted suicide.

Acts 9:1-22: Paul (then Saul) had a terrible experience. Jesus immediately arranged for his rescue and he started preaching the gospel. He had no psychic disturbance or depression and no attampt to commit suicide.

Genesis 6: God spoke to Noah.

Genesis Chapter 12-18: God spoke to Abraham

Exodus Chapter 3-34: God spoke Moses.

Is Gabriel that appeared to Muhammad who caused depression and attempted suicide not questionable?

It is man's duty to try all spirits to know whether they are of God.

1 John 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit but try the spirits whether they are of God.......
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by LagosShia: 12:04pm On Oct 13, 2012
nextpart: Can any honest muslim confirm or refute this?

When Muhammad received the first revelation from Gabriel, he was confused. He climped a high mountain and attempted to jump down to commit suicide.

I have never come across any evidence saying what you're claiming.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by tintingz(m): 1:13pm On Oct 13, 2012
Show us the hadith so we can examine it. . .
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by dexmond: 1:24pm On Oct 13, 2012
LagosShia:

The prophet's experience as a child.

When Muhammad was a child a Bedouin woman nursed him. During this time he had an experience with "two men in white raiment". Here is W. M. Watt's translation of Ibn Ishaq's biography of Muhammad, page 36:
"...two men in white clothes came to me with a golden basin full of snow. They took me and split open my body, then they took my heart and split it open and took out from it a black clot which they flung away. Then they washed my heart and my body with that snow until they made them pure."
This event deeply disturbed the Bedouins and they returned Muhammad to his mother. Here is the story told by Muhammad's wet-nurse, related in Guillaume's translation of Ibn Ishaq, page 72:
"His [Muhammad's friend's] father said to me, "I am afraid that this child has had a stroke, so take him back to his family before the result appears. ..... She [Muhammad's mother] asked me what happened and gave me no peace until I told her. When she asked if I feared a demon had possessed him, I replied that I did."

Notice the bolded, it was from his nurse.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by dexmond: 1:27pm On Oct 13, 2012
tintingz: Show us the hadith so we can examine it. . .

Here is the hadith, notice the bolded.

Narrated 'Aisha:

The commencement of the Divine Inspiration to Allah's Apostle was in the form of good righteous (true) dreams in his sleep. He never had a dream but that it came true like bright day light. He used to go in seclusion (the cave of) Hira where he used to worship (Allah Alone) continuously for many (days) nights. He used to take with him the journey food for that (stay) and then come back to (his wife) Khadija to take his food like-wise again for another period to stay, till suddenly the Truth descended upon him while he was in the cave of Hira. The angel came to him in it and asked him to read. The Prophet replied, "I do not know how to read." (The Prophet added), "The angel caught me (forcefully) and pressed me so hard that I could not bear it anymore. He then released me and again asked me to read, and I replied, "I do not know how to read," whereupon he caught me again and pressed me a second time till I could not bear it anymore. He then released me and asked me again to read, but again I replied, "I do not know how to read (or, what shall I read?)." Thereupon he caught me for the third time and pressed me and then released me and said, "Read: In the Name of your Lord, Who has created (all that exists). Has created man from a clot. Read and Your Lord is Most Generous...up to..... ..that which he knew not." (96.15)

Then Allah's Apostle returned with the Inspiration, his neck muscles twitching with terror till he entered upon Khadija and said, "Cover me! Cover me!" They covered him till his fear was over and then he said, "O Khadija, what is wrong with me?" Then he told her everything that had happened and said, 'I fear that something may happen to me." Khadija said, 'Never! But have the glad tidings, for by Allah, Allah will never disgrace you as you keep good relations with your Kith and kin, speak the truth, help the poor and the destitute, serve your guest generously and assist the deserving, calamity-afflicted ones." Khadija then accompanied him to (her cousin) Waraqa bin Naufal bin Asad bin 'Abdul 'Uzza bin Qusai. Waraqa was the son of her paternal uncle, i.e., her father's brother, who during the Pre-Islamic Period became a Christian and used to write the Arabic writing and used to write of the Gospels in Arabic as much as Allah wished him to write. He was an old man and had lost his eyesight. Khadija said to him, "O my cousin! Listen to the story of your nephew." Waraqa asked, "O my nephew! What have you seen?" The Prophet described whatever he had seen.

Waraqa said, "This is the same Namus (i.e., Gabriel, the Angel who keeps the secrets) whom Allah had sent to Moses. I wish I were young and could live up to the time when your people would turn you out." Allah's Apostle asked, "Will they turn me out?" Waraqa replied in the affirmative and said: "Never did a man come with something similar to what you have brought but was treated with hostility. If I should remain alive till the day when you will be turned out then I would support you strongly." But after a few days Waraqa died and the Divine Inspiration was also paused for a while and the Prophet became so sad as we have heard that he intended several times to throw himself from the tops of high mountains and every time he went up the top of a mountain in order to throw himself down, Gabriel would appear before him and say, "O Muhammad! You are indeed Allah's Apostle in truth" whereupon his heart would become quiet and he would calm down and would return home. And whenever the period of the coming of the inspiration used to become long, he would do as before, but when he used to reach the top of a mountain, Gabriel would appear before him and say to him what he had said before. (Ibn 'Abbas said regarding the meaning of: 'He it is that Cleaves the daybreak (from the darkness)' (6.96) that Al-Asbah. means the light of the sun during the day and the light of the moon at night). Quoted from the Sahih (authentic) Hadith (traditions) of Bukhari, [2], Volume 9, number 111
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by LagosShia: 10:05pm On Oct 13, 2012
Any Sunni in the house to refute or clarify the above from your "sahih bukhari"? Please do because based on Shia narrations the Prophet (sa) had long known to be a messenger of Allah even before the first verse of the Quran was revealed.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by LagosShia: 10:23pm On Oct 13, 2012
The Birth of Islam and the Proclamation by Muhammad of his Mission 

When Muhammad was 40 years old, he was commanded by God, through His angel, Gabriel, to declare His Oneness to the idolaters and polytheists of the whole world, and to deliver the message of peace to an embattled humanity. In response to this command of Heaven, Muhammad launched the momentous program called Islam which was to change the destiny of mankind forever. 

Before the Call came to him to declare the Unity of the Creator, Muhammad was in the habit of spending much time in meditation and reflection. To be free from interference and extraneous distractions, he frequently went to a mountain cave called Hira, three miles in the north-east of Makkah, and spent the long summer days there. He was in Hira when one day the Archangel Gabriel appeared before him, and brought to him the tidings that God had chosen him to be His Last Messenger to this world, and had imposed upon him the duty of leading mankind out of the welter of sin, error and ignorance into the light of Guidance, Truth and Knowledge. Gabriel then bade Muhammad to "read" the following verses:

"Read in the name of thy lord and cherisher who created: Created man out of a clot of congealed blood. Read!And thy lord is most bountiful, He who taught the use of pen; Taught man that which he knew not".

These five verses were the earliest revelation, and they came to Muhammad on the "Night of Power" or the "Blessed Night" in the month of Ramadan (the ninth month of the Islamic calendar) of the 40th year of the Elephant. They are at the beginning of the 96th chapter of Al-Qur’an al-Majid. The name of the chapter is Iqraa (Read) or ‘Alaq (the Clot of Congealed Blood).

The Night of Power or the Blessed Night occurs, according to tradition, during the last ten days of the month of Ramadan, and could be the 21st or 23rd or 25th or 27th of the month.

[b]In their respective accounts of the reception by Muhammad of the First Revelation, the Sunni and the Shia Muslims are not in agreement. According to the Sunni tradition, the appearance of Gabriel surprised Muhammad, and when the former ordered him to read, he said, "I cannot read." This happened thrice, and each time when Muhammad declared his inability to read, the angel pressed him hard to his bosom. Eventually, he was able to repeat the five verses whereupon the angel released him and disappeared

When Archangel Gabriel disappeared, Muhammad, who was now "ordained" the Messenger of Allah, descended from the cliffs of Hira, and repaired to his home in a state of great trepidation. He was shivering with cold, and when he entered his house, he asked his wife, Khadija, to cover him with a blanket which she did. When he had sufficiently recovered from the shock, he recounted to her the story of his strange encounter with Archangel Gabriel in the cave of Hira.

The traditional Sunni account of this incident is given in an article written by Shaykh Ahmad Zaki Hammad, Ph.D., captioned Be Hopeful, published in the monthly magazine, Islamic Horizons, of the Islamic Society of North America, Plainfield, Indiana, May-June 1987, as follows:

"The Prophet (pbuh) in the early stages in Makkah, feared that the revelation experience was an evil touch preying upon him, playing with him mentally, upsetting his tranquillity and peace of mind. He was afraid that one of the jinn had touched him. He expressed this to Khadija. His fear increased to the point that – and please don't be surprised by an authentic report in Bukhari – the Prophet (pbuh) preferred to take his own life rather than to be touched by evil, to be tampered with, corrupted, or polluted."

But according to the accounts of the Shia Muslims, Muhammad Mustafa, far from being surprised or frightened by the appearance of Gabriel, welcomed him as if he had been expecting him. Gabriel brought the tidings that Allah had chosen him to be His Last Messenger to Mankind, and congratulated him on being selected to become the recipient of the greatest of all honors for a mortal in this world.

Muhammad had no hesitation in accepting the mission of prophethood nor he had any difficulty in repeating the verses of the First Revelation. He read them or repeated them effortlessly, spontaneously. Gabriel, in fact, was no stranger to him, and he also knew that his own raison d’être was to carry out the mission imposed upon him by God as His Messenger. He was "mission-oriented"even before Gabriel’s visit. Gabriel only gave him the signal to begin.

The Shia Muslims also say that one thing that Gabriel didn't have to do, was to apply physical pressure on Muhammad to read. If he did, it would truly be a bizarre mode of imparting to Muhammad the ability to read – by squeezing him or choking him. They further maintain that Muhammad Mustafa did not contemplate suicide at any time in his life, not even in its most desolate moments; and that it never occurred to him that he could ever be touched by "evil" or that he could be "corrupted" or "polluted." [/b]

Nevertheless, Muhammad felt alarm at the magnitude of the task ahead of him. He realized that in the execution of his duty, he would be confronted by the massive, formidable and determined opposition of the pagans of the whole world. The state of his anxiety was almost palpable. He was, therefore, in a somber frame of mind as he left the cave to return home. And he did ask Khadija to drape him in a blanket as he sat down to recapitulate the events in Hira to her.

When Khadija heard the story that Muhammad told her, she comforted him and reassured him by saying: "O son of my uncle, be of good cheer. Allah has chosen you to be His messenger. You are always kind to your neighbors, helpful to your kinsfolk, generous to the orphans, the widows and the poor, and friendly to the strangers. Allah will never forsake you."

It is possible that Muhammad was momentarily overweighedby the thought of his accountability to Allah in carrying the enormous burden of his new responsibilities, but when he heard Khadija's soothing words, he immediately felt the tensions within him decompressing. She reassured him and convinced him that with God's Hand on his shoulder, he would rise equal to his duties and would overcome all obstacles.

After a brief interval, Gabriel appeared once again before Muhammad when the latter was in the cave of Hira, and presented to him the second Revelation which reads as follows:

O Thou wrapped up (in a mantle)! Arise and deliver thy warning! And thy lord do thou magnify. (Chapter 74; verses 1,2,3)

The commandment from Heaven to "arise and warn" was the signal to Muhammad (the wrapped up in a blanket) to begin his work. Gabriel expounded to him his new duties the foremost of which was to destroy the worship of false gods, and to plant the banner of Tauheed – the doctrine of the Unity of the Creator – in the world; and he had to invite mankind to the True Faith – Islam. Islam means to surrender to Allah, and to acknowledgeMuhammad as His slave and His messenger.

That evening Muhammad returned home conscious and conscientious of his new duty that he had to preach Islam, and that he had to begin from his own home – by preaching it to his wife.

Muhammad told Khadija about the second visit of Gabriel, and the duty imposed upon him by Allah to invite her to Islam. For Khadija, the antecedents and the moral integrity of her husband were an incontrovertible attestation that he was a divine messenger, and she readily accepted Islam. In fact, between her and Islam, an "ideological affinity" had pre-existed. Therefore, when Muhammad Mustafa presented Islam to her, she at once "recognized" it, and rosily embraced it. She believed that the Creator was One, and that Muhammad was His messenger, and she declared:

I bear witness that there is no god but Allah; and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and His Messenger.

Muhammad, the new messenger of God, had won his first convert - Khadija – his wife. She was the first one, the very first to affirm her faith in Tauheed (Oneness of the Creator), and she was the very first to acknowledge Muhammad as God's messenger to all mankind. She was the first Muslima.

Muhammad "introduced" Islam to Khadija. He explained to her its meaning, and he initiated her into it.

The honor to be the first individual in the whole world to bear witness to God's unity and to acknowledge Muhammad's prophethood, belongs to Khadija for all time.

F. E. Peters

She (Khadija) was the first to accept the truth of his (Muhammad's) revelation, the premier Muslim after the Prophet himself. She encouraged and supported Muhammad during the first difficult years of his public preaching, and during the twenty-five years of their marriage he took no other wife. Theirs was, by any reasonable standard of judgment, a love match as well as a corporate partnership. (Allah's Commonwealth, New York)

As noted before, Ali ibn Abi Talib, was living at this time with his foster-parents, Muhammad and Khadija. The two sons of Muhammad and Khadija – Qasim and Abdullah had died in their infancy. After their death, they had adopted Ali as their son. Ali was five years old when he came into their house, and he was ten years old when Muhammad was ordained messenger of God. Muhammad and Khadija brought him up and educated him. In the years to come, he showed himself a most splendid "product" of the upbringing and education that Muhammad and Khadija gave him. 

Sir William Muir

Shortly after the rebuilding of the Kaaba, Mohammed comforted himself for the loss of his infant son Casim by adopting Ali, the child of his friend and former guardian, Abu Talib. Ali, at this time not above five or six years of age, remained ever after with Mohammed, and they exhibited towards each other the mutual attachment of parent and child. (The Life of Mohammed, London, 1877)

Since Ali was a member of the Prophet's own family, he was inevitably the first, among males, to receive the message of Islam. He testified that God was One, and that Muhammad was His messenger. And he was very eager to stand behind Muhammad Mustafa to offer prayers. Since then Muhammad was never seen at prayer except when Ali was with him. The boy also memorized the verses of Al-Qur’an al-Majid as and when they were revealed to Muhammad. In this manner, he literally grew up with Qur’an. In fact, Ali and Qur’an "grew up" together as "twins" in the house of Muhammad Mustafa and Khadija-tul-Kubra. Muhammad Mustafa, the Messenger of Allah, had found the first Muslima in Khadija, and the first Muslim in Ali ibn Abi Talib.

Muhammad ibn Ishaq

Ali was the first male to believe in the Apostle of God, to pray with him and to believe in his divine message, when he was a boy of ten. God favored him in that he was brought up in the care of the Apostle before Islam began. (The Life of the Messenger of God)

Muhammad Husayn Haykal

Ali was then the first youth to enter Islam. He was followed by Zayd ibn Harithah, Muhammad's client. Islam remained confined to the four walls of one house. Besides Muhammad himself, the converts of the new faith were his wife, his cousin, and his client. (The Life of Muhammad, Cairo, 1935)

Marmaduke Pickhtall

The first of all his (Muhammad's) converts was his wife, Khadija; the second his first cousin Ali, whom he had adopted; the third his servant Zeyd, a former slave. (Introduction to the Translation of Holy Qur’an, Lahore, Pakistan, 1975)

The third "witness" who accepted Islam, was Zayd ibn Haritha, the freedman of Muhammad, and a member of his household.

Tor Andre

Zaid was one of the first to accept Islam, in fact the third, after Khadija and Ali. (Mohammed, the Man and his Faith, 1960)

Ali ibn Abi Talib was the first male to accept Islam, and his precedence is beyond any question. Allama Muhammad Iqbal, the poet-philosopher of Indo-Pakistan, calls him, not the first, but "the foremost Muslim."

Ibn Ishaq

From Yahya b. al-Ash'ath b. Qays al-Kindi from his father, from his grandfather Afiif: Al-Abbas b. Abdul Muttalib was a friend of mine who used to go often to the Yaman to buy aromatics and sell them during the fairs. While I was with him in Mina, there came a man in the prime of life and performed the full rites of ablution and then stood up and prayed. Then a woman came out and did her ablution and stood up and prayed. Then out came a youth just approaching manhood, did his ablutions, then stood up and prayed by his side. When I asked Al-Abbas what was going on, and he said that it was his nephew Muhammad b. Abdullah b. Abdul Muttalib, who alleges that Allah has sent him as an Apostle; the other is my brother's son, Ali ibn Abi Talib, who has followed him in his religion; the third is his wife, Khadija daughter of Khuwaylid who also follows him in his religion. Afiif said after he had become a Muslim and Islam firmly established in his heart, ‘Would that I had been a fourth.!’ (The Life of the Messenger of God)

The fourth witness who accepted Islam, was Abu Bakr, a merchant of Makkah. In the beginning, Muhammad preached Islam secretly for fear of arousing the hostility of the idolaters. He invited only those people to Islam who were known to him personally. It is said that through the efforts of Abu Bakr, the fourth Muslim, a few other Makkans also accepted Islam. Among them were Uthman bin Affan, a futurekhalifa of the Muslims; Talha, Zubayr, Abdur Rahman bin Auf, Saad bin Abi Waqqas, and Obaidullah ibn al-Jarrah.

For a long time the Muslims were very few in number and they did not dare to say their prayers in public. One of the early converts to Islam was Arqam bin Abi al-Arqam, a young man of the clan of Makhzoom. He was well-to-do and lived in a spacious house in the valley of Safa. Muslims gathered in his house to offer their congregational prayers. Three years passed in this manner. Then in the fourth year, Muhammad was commanded by God to invite his own folks to Islam openly.

And admonish thy nearest kinsmen. (Chapter 26; verse 214)

Muhammad's folks included all members of Banu Hashim and Banu al-Muttalib. He ordered his young cousin, Ali, to invite all their chief men to a banquet – forty of them. 

When all the guests had gathered in a hall in the house of Abu Talib, and had partaken of their repast, Muhammad, the Messenger of God, rose to address them. One of the guests was Abu Lahab, an uncle of the Prophet on his father's side. He must have heard rumors of what his nephew was doing in Makkah secretly, and probably guessed the reason why he had invited Banu Hashim to a feast. The Prophet had just begun to speak when he stood up; rudely interrupted him, and himself addressed the assembly, saying:

"Uncles, brothers and cousins! Do not listen to this "renegade," and do not abandon your ancestral religion if he invites you to adopt a new one. If you do, then remember that you will rouse the anger of all Arabs against you. You do not have the strength to fight against all of them. After all, we are a mere handful. Therefore, it is in your own interest to be steadfast in your traditional religion."

Abu Lahab, by his speech, succeeded in throwing confusion and disorder into the meeting so that everyone stood up milling around and jostling against each other. Then they began to leave, and soon the hall was empty.

Muhammad's first attempt to convert his own tribe to Islam had failed. But unfazed by this initial setback, he ordered his cousin, Ali, to invite the same guests a second time.

A few days later the guests came, and when they had eaten supper, Muhammad rose and spoke to them as follows:

"I offerthanks to Allah for His mercies. I praise Allah, and I seek His guidance. I believe in Him and I put my trust in Him. I bear witness that there is no god except Allah; He has no partners; and I am His messenger. Allah has commanded me to invite you to His religion by saying: And warn thy nearest kinsfolk. I, therefore, warn you, and call upon you to testify that there is no god but Allah, and that I am His messenger. O ye sons of Abdul Muttalib, no one ever came to you before with anything better than what I have brought to you. By accepting it, your welfare will be assured in this world and in the Hereafter. Who among you will support me in carrying out this momentous duty? Who will share the burden of this work with me? Who will respond to my call? Who will become my vicegerent, my deputy and my wazir?"

There were forty guests in the hall. Muhammad paused to let the effect of his words sink into their minds but no one among them responded. At last when the silence became too oppressive, young Ali stood up and said that he would support the Messenger of God; would share the burden of his work; and would become his vicegerent, his deputy and his wazir. But Muhammad beckoned him to sit down, and said: "Wait! Perhaps someone older than you might respond to my call."

Muhammad renewed his invitation but still no one seemed to stir, and he was greeted only by an uneasy silence. Once again, Ali offered his services but the Apostle still wishing that some senior member of the clan would accept his invitation, asked him to wait. He then appealed to the clan a third time to consider his invitation, and the same thing happened again. No one in the assembly showed any interest. He surveyed the crowd and transfixed everyone in it with his gaze but no one moved. At length he beheld the solitary figure of Ali rising above the assembly of silent men, to volunteer his services to him.

This time Mohammed accepted Ali's offer. He drew him close, pressed him to his heart, and said to the assembly: "This is my wazir, my successor and my vicegerent. Listen to him and obey his commands."

Edward Gibbon

Three years were silently employed in the conversion of fourteen proselytes, the first fruits of his (Mohammed's) mission; but in the fourth year he assumed the prophetic office, and resolving to impart to his family the light of divine truth, he prepared a banquet for the entertainment of forty guests of the race of Hashim. ‘Friends and kinsmen,' Mohammed said to the assembly, ‘I offer you, and I alone can offer, the most precious gifts, the treasures of this world and of the world to come. God has commanded me to call you to His service. Who among you will support my burden? Who among you will be my companion and my vizir? No answer was returned, till the silence of astonishment and doubt, and contempt was at length broken by the impatient courage of Ali, a youth in the fourteenth year of his age. ‘O Prophet,' he said, ‘I am the man. Whosoever rises against thee, I will dash out his teeth, tear out his eyes, break his legs, rip up his belly. O Prophet, I will be thy vizir over them.' Mohammed accepted his offer with transport, and Abu Talib was ironically exhorted to respect the superior dignity of his son. (Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Washington Irving

‘O children of Abd al-Muttalib,' cried he (Mohammed) with enthusiasm, ‘to you, of all men, has Allah vouchsafed these most precious gifts. In his name I offer you the blessings of this world, and endless joys hereafter. Who among you will share the burden of my offer? Who will be my brother, my lieutenant, my vizir?' All remained silent; some wondering; others smiling with incredulity and derision. At length Ali, starting up with youthful zeal, offered himself to the service of the Prophet though modestly acknowledging his youth and physical weakness. Mohammed threw up his arms around the generous youth, and pressed him to his bosom. 'Behold my brother, my vizir, my vicegerent,' exclaimed he, "Let all listen to his words, and obey him." (The Life of Mohammed)

Sir Richard Burton

After a long course of meditation, fired with anger by the absurd fanaticism of the Jews, the superstitions of the Syrian and Arab Christians, and the horrid idolatries of his unbelieving countrymen, an enthusiast too – and what great soul has not been an enthusiast? – he (Mohammed) determined to reform those abuses which rendered revelation contemptible to the learned and prejudicial to the vulgar. He introduced himself as one inspired to a body of his relations and fellow-clansmen. The step was a failure, except that it won for him a proselyte worth a thousand sabers in the person of Ali, son of Abu Talib. (The Jew the Gypsy and El Islam, San Francisco, 1898)

Ali had offered his services to Muhammad, the Messenger of God, and the latter had accepted them. To the elders of the tribe, Ali's conduct might have appeared rash and brazen but he soon proved that he had the grit to accomplish far more than others had the courage even to dream. The Messenger of God, on his part, accepted the offer not only with expressions of gratitude and joy but also declared that Ali was, from that moment, his vicegerent. Muhammad's declaration was forthright and unequivocal. It is foolish to quibble, as some people do, that Ali's vicegerency of Muhammad, was confined to the tribe of Banu Hashim. But Muhammad himself did not restrict Ali's vicegerency to Banu Hashim. Ali was his vicegerent for all Muslims and for all time.

The banquet at which Muhammad, the Messenger of God, declared Ali to be his successor, is famous in history as "the banquet of Dhul-'Asheera." This name comes from Al-Qur’an al-Majid itself (chapter 26; verse 214). Strangely, Sir William Muir has called this historic event "apocryphal." But what is "apocryphal" or so improbable about it? Could anything be more logical for the Messenger of God than to begin his work of propagating Islam at his own home, and with members of his own family and his own clan, especially after being expressly commanded by God towarn his nearest kinsmen?

The feast of Dhul-'Asheera at which Muhammad, the Apostle of God, designated Ali ibn Abi Talib, as his successor, is a historical event, and its authenticity has been affirmed, among others, by the following Arab historians:

1. Tabari, History, Vol. II,p. 217 

2. Kamil ibn Atheer, History, Vol. II, p. 22 

3. Abul Fida,History, Vol. I, p. 116

Sir William Muir 

His (Mohammed's) cousin, Ali, now 13 or 14 years of age, already gave tokens of the wisdom and judgment which distinguished him in after life. Though possessed of indomitable courage, he lacked the stirring energy which would have rendered him an effective propagator of Islam. He grew up from a child in the faith of Mohammed, and his earliest associations strengthened the convictions of maturer years. (The life of Mohammed, London, 1877)

We have many reservations about Sir William Muir's statement that Ali "lacked the stirring energy that would have made him an effective propagator of Islam." Ali did not lack energy or anything else. In all the crises of Islam, he was selected to carry out the most dangerous missions, and he invariably accomplished them.

As a missionary also, Ali was peerless. There was no one among all the companions of the Prophet who was a more effective propagator of Islam than he. He promulgated the first 40 verses of the Surah Bara'a (Immunity), the Ninth chapter of Al-Qur’an al-Majid, to the pagans at Makkah, as the first missionary of Islam, and as one representing the Apostle of God himself. And it was Ali who brought all the tribes of Yemen into the fold of Islam.

Muhammad, the Messenger of God, had brought up Ali as his own child, and if the latter had lacked anything, he would have known it. He declared Ali to be his wazir, his successor and his vicegerent at a time when no one could have foreseen the future of Islam. This only points up the unbounded confidence that the Prophet of Islam had in this stripling of fourteen years.

Ali symbolized the hopes and aspirations of Islam. In the great revolution which Muhammad, the Apostle of God, had launched at the feast of Dhul-'Asheera, he had mobilized the dynamism, and idealism, and the fervor and vigor of youth; Ali personified them all.

Two things had happened at the Feast. One was that the Prophet had brought Islam out in the open. Islam was no longer an "under-ground" movement; it had "surfaced." At the feast of his kinsfolk, Muhammad had "crossed the Rubicon" and now there could be no turning back. Time had come for him to carry the message of Islam beyond his own clan, first to the Quraysh of Makkah, then to all the Arabs, and finally, to the rest of the world. The other was that he had found Ali who was the embodiment of courage, devotion and resolution, and was worth far more than a thousand sabers.

It is reported that some days after the second banquet of Dhul-'Asheera, Muhammad climbed up the hill of Safa near Kaaba, and called out: "O sons of Fehr, O sons of Loi, O sons of Adi, and all the rest of Quraysh! Come hither, and listen to me. I have something very important to tell you."

Many of those Makkans who heard his voice, came to listen to him. Addressing them, he said: "Will you believe me if I were to tell you that an army was hidden behind yonder hills, and was watching you to attack you as soon as it found you off-guard?" They said they would believe him because they had never heard him tell a lie.

"If that's so," said Muhammad, "then listen to this with attention. The Lord of the Heavens and earth has commanded me to warn you of the dreadful time that is coming. But if you pay heed, you can save yourselves from perdition..." He had gone only as far as this when Abu Lahab, who was present among the listeners, interrupted him again by saying: "Death to you. Did you waste our time to tell us only this? We do not want to hear you. Do not call us again."

Thenceforth Abu Lahab made it a practice to shadow the Prophet wherever the latter went. If he started to read the Qur’an or to say something else, he (Abu Lahab) interrupted him or started heckling him. Abu Lahab's hatred of Muhammad and Islam was shared by his wife, Umm Jameel. Both of them were the recipients of the curse of God in Al-Qur’an al-Majid (chapter 111).

http://www.al-islam.org/restatement/9.htm
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by Sweetnecta: 10:52pm On Oct 13, 2012
@Nextpan and dexmond:
by nextpart(m): 6:15pm On Oct 11
Can any honest muslim confirm or refute this?

for this to be true, the below, will not happen. Notice the bold and show us "he climbed a high mountain and attempted to jump down to commit suicide".

Narrated 'Aisha:

The commencement of the Divine Inspiration to Allah's Apostle was in the form of good righteous (true) dreams in his sleep. He never had a dream but that it came true like bright day light. He used to go in seclusion (the cave of) Hira where he used to worship (Allah Alone) continuously for many (days) nights. He used to take with him the journey food for that (stay) and then come back to (his wife) Khadija to take his food like-wise again for another period to stay, till suddenly the Truth descended upon him while he was in the cave of Hira. The angel came to him in it and asked him to read. The Prophet replied, "I do not know how to read." (The Prophet added), "The angel caught me (forcefully) and pressed me so hard that I could not bear it anymore. He then released me and again asked me to read, and I replied, "I do not know how to read," whereupon he caught me again and pressed me a second time till I could not bear it anymore. He then released me and asked me again to read, but again I replied, "I do not know how to read (or, what shall I read?)." Thereupon he caught me for the third time and pressed me and then released me and said, "Read: In the Name of your Lord, Who has created (all that exists). Has created man from a clot. Read and Your Lord is Most Generous...up to..... ..that which he knew not." (96.15)

[b]Then Allah's Apostle returned with the Inspiration, his neck muscles twitching with terror till he entered upon Khadija and said, "Cover me! Cover me!" They covered him till his fear was over and then he said, "O Khadija, what is wrong with me?" Then he told her everything that had happened and said, 'I fear that something may happen to me." Khadija said, 'Never! But have the glad tidings, for by Allah, Allah will never disgrace you as you keep good relations with your Kith and kin, speak the truth, help the poor and the destitute, serve your guest generously and assist the deserving, calamity-afflicted ones." Khadija then accompanied him to (her cousin) Waraqa bin Naufal bin Asad bin 'Abdul 'Uzza bin Qusai. Waraqa was the son of her paternal uncle, i.e., her father's brother, who during the Pre-Islamic Period became a Christian and used to write the Arabic writing and used to write of the Gospels in Arabic as much as Allah wished him to write. He was an old man and had lost his eyesight. Khadija said to him, "O my cousin! Listen to the story of your nephew." Waraqa asked, "O my nephew! What have you seen?" The Prophet described whatever he had seen.[/b]
read the bold and tell me if it constitutes "trying to jump from the edge of the mountain".

if Muhammad [sa] received revelations and went home and discussed with his wife, Khadija [ra] so much so that they went to see Waraqa, her christian family member, havent Muhammad [sa] skipped the jumping from the edge of the mountain, instead he actually went home to his wife, discussing the situation of seeing Jibril [as], etc? Where is the intention to jump which you put down as to indicate "IMMEDIATELY" after the revelation?

Don't you people have any shame?
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by Sweetnecta: 12:49am On Oct 14, 2012
@Nextpan:
by nextpart(m): 11:11pm On Oct 11
Since there is no refutation of the statement, it is assumed it is true. Then if is true, something must be wrong.

To attempt suicide is an evidence of psychic disturbance and demonic possession.
You know a person who submits himself to a killer when he can easily prevent the killer from killing him is guilty of the very accusation you made, above? Suicide is not only when you kill yourself. It includes allowing somebody to kill you without mounting any effort to save yourself.

There was no precedence that anyone who had contact with God or angels of God became so depressed and attempted to commit suicide.
If I go by the Bible, one will realize that Jacob must have struggle more than we know as a result of his contact with "An Angel", wherein as a result of the event he will not eat the hindquarter of cattle. The Bible is incomplete and you can not be too sure of what any prophet did when the supernatural being is in contact with him. I will give you evidence that you do not have full information.

John 13:
The Bible says Satan entered into Judas and he committed suicide.
Jesus also called Peter satan and Peter [the house of satan] didnt commit suicide. Even satan took Jesus to the edge of the mountain and wanted him to jump. what do you say to these and remember Muhammad [sa] did not say satan got to him?

Examples of those who had contact with God or His angels and there was no attempt to commit suicide:

Luke Chapter 1: Angel Gabriel appeared to Mary, a young woman and yet she was not so depressed and never attempted suicide.
can you tell me what she did seeing a man suddenly appearing from no where? You cant because the bibles do not give you any info. Read the Quran and imagine what natural reaction a person who trust in God will do; God will inspire the heart of the person with goodness wherein they will recognize that this man is a man of God, so my fear of him should be limited unlike my concern and defensive posture against somebody perceived to have evil intention.

Acts 9:1-22: Paul (then Saul) had a terrible experience. Jesus immediately arranged for his rescue and he started preaching the gospel. He had no psychic disturbance or depression and no attampt to commit suicide.
no paul in matter of honest discussion, please.

Genesis 6: God spoke to Noah.
how did Noah react and how long has he been a prophet, at that time? You dont know anything about any of the 2.

Genesis Chapter 12-18: God spoke to Abraham
Was Abraham concern when the angels didnt eat this food? You think his reaction when he heard the Voice of God is like less of a concern?

Exodus Chapter 3-34: God spoke Moses.
Moses must have been shocked when the fire didnt consume the bush and he would have even more shocked when he heard a Voice saying He is God talking to him. Proof; when he was told to throw his staff and he saw it become a snake. You think he stood there saying oh yah, this is nothing or he became fearful and wanted to run? God had to talk to him and made his heart strong and bold because he had a big task ahead.

Even pharaoh wanted to run in from of his subject when he saw the miracle of the staff becoming serpent the reason he called it magic and called the magicians to compete with Moses.

[quoteIs Gabriel that appeared to Muhammad who caused depression and attempted suicide not questionable?[/quote]The very Muhammad [sa] dealt with the very Jibril[as] for 23 years after your allegation of suicide. This alone is a proof for Muhammad [sa] because his community [ra] in more than one occasion saw person who Muhammad [sa] later told them was Jibril in human form. And Muhammad never told them that the first contact was with a different entity, but always with this very Jibril [as].

quote]It is man's duty to try all spirits to know whether they are of God.[/quote]we shall put every Biblical prophets under this test to see if each pass to qualify as a true spirit from God as a Prophet of God. Then we shall put Muhammad [sa] the non Biblical Prophet under the same test and see if he fails and can then say he is not a Prophet of God and not a true spirit from God.

1 John 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit but try the spirits whether they are of God.......
the bold is the complete verse and we shall put Jesus under it, first.
1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Jesus said he is the christ. So Jesus passed here.

Now lets see if we can disproof Muhammad under the same test. In the Quran and Hadith we read that Jesus was also referred to as the Christ. Muhammad [sa] also passed.

Are there other tests to know who is a Spokesman of God? From the Bible we read that anyone who claims to be a prophet from God, whatever he says, if that does not come to pass, God didnt send him to say it and such a person will die without help or mercy from God because his prayers will not be answered.

Shall we put Jesus under this condition before Muhammad? Yes.

Jesus said the holy spirit as another comforter will teach, even new things, etc, and will abide with the disciples forever. And he Jesus will return before all the disciples will pass away to the graves. None of the above happened as we do not have any record of what the holy spirit as another comforter did, the disciples are all dead and do not remain forever so the another comforter is not remaining forever with dead people in the graves when they were supposed to be alive on earth forever, Jesus never returned as the christians are still expecting his return even now.

Muhammad under the same test have passed, including saying what the condition of the muslims will be even now that they are large in number compared what they used to be 1400 years ago with great faith. I want anyone who is bold enough to sincerely point to a saying of the prophet [sa] or anything in the Quran that should be fulfilled and its time had came and unfulfilled at the exact time expected to be fulfilled. One single proof will be enough.

@dexmond:
by dexmond: 1:24pm

LagosShia:

The prophet's experience as a child.

When Muhammad was a child a Bedouin woman nursed him. During this time he had an experience with "two men in white raiment". Here is W. M. Watt's translation of Ibn Ishaq's biography of Muhammad, page 36:
"...two men in white clothes came to me with a golden basin full of snow. They took me and split open my body, then they took my heart and split it open and took out from it a black clot which they flung away. Then they washed my heart and my body with that snow until they made them pure."
This event deeply disturbed the Bedouins and they returned Muhammad to his mother. Here is the story told by Muhammad's wet-nurse, related in Guillaume's translation of Ibn Ishaq, page 72:
"His [Muhammad's friend's] father said to me, "I am afraid that this child has had a stroke, so take him back to his family before the result appears. ..... She [Muhammad's mother] asked me what happened and gave me no peace until I told her. When she asked if I feared a demon had possessed him, I replied that I did."

From the mouth of babes you will hear the purest of truth of any event. When people ask children questions, they hear the truth from them because they do not know how to embellish. From what I know of the life of Muhammad [sa], the event in bold is completely normal, because at the beginning of Isra wa Miraj journey when he was already Messenger sa], the event happened again. The bigger event was that he was able to walk away immediately on the 2 occasions and went to heavens and returned alive on the same night in the occasion that he was already a messenger.

Abu Bakr [ra] believed him without seeing him first and was nicknamed "saadiqi" for it. But Abu Bakr said that event as it is impossible in the eyes of the disbelieving makkans, it is even a less event to the reception of Quranic Revelation, as they the companions [ra] have witnessed it, in many occasions. No one called Muhammad [sa] a liar.Instead they called him a magician, etc because what he brought was most superior to what they have heard [and if you say they have heard about torah and injil, there was your answer and indication of corruption because at that time they know that Muhammad [sa] is saying what cant find fault in or to try to improve].

And a nurse who is a bedouin didnt say he was a liar because she must have seen the scar, and prior to that al the blessing she got coming to her the moment she got Muhammad [sa] was something special. What do we expect from a woman from a people that after Ismail [as] the son of Ibrahim [as] the arabs never receive a prophet in their community? The case of the woman is like the case of post the era of Naira being equal to British pounds and at least 2 USD to 1 Naira. If I told you that 2,500 Nairas is a full of tuition, books, room and board which is more than 5,000 USD, you will definitely doubt it. If I told you that you could have paid 500 USD as tuition for out of state states student, you will think I am up to something. But it is true and this truth is inferior to the truth that came out of the mouth of young Muhammad [sa] because few years later Bagira the christian monk near Syria confirms that Muhammad [sa] has all the signs and trappings of Prophet and all the family has to do was to make sure that the jews the "killers" or attempted killers of prophet never get hold of him.

The tree he sat under to shade himself before he entered to the dinner table is still alive, today in that dusty in the territory of the country of Jordan.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by LagosShia: 5:07am On Oct 14, 2012
I have presented my perspective on the issue as a Shia.now if I may help my Sunni brothers based on the report in "sahih bukhari",even though they may not appreciate my help (as a result of my views on Aisha from a Shia point) or its reality,let me state my opinions:

1. The person who made the claim and narrated the account is Aisha and she never witnessed what she's narrating.and she never stated who told her these things.

2. A hadith can be authentic in terms of its chain of narration but that still doesn't make the content of the hadith true.in other words,Aisha could have really given such account but her own account even though truly was given by her is wrong/false.the only person to state such a claim on contemplating suicide is the Prophet (sa) and the hadith is not gotten from him.no one else was aware of his inner thoughts except him.so for us to accept this claim,then we should have someone not just narrating the event she didn't witness but telling us how/when/where the Prophet (sa) made such confession.

3. Aisha wasn't very respectful of the Prophet (sa) in his lifetime and also after.as a Shia,her account in making such claim carry no value.she's the same person who accused the Prophet (sa) of not being truthful in speaking and that led her own father to give her a hot slap!she also led the meaningless battle of jamal in direct disregard of the Prophet's (sa) warning against her leading any fight.

4. At the time of the event Aisha is narrating,she was a kid and didn't witness the event.who told her this account?

5. And even if the event of contemplation of suicide took place within himself,then it doesn't change any thing in the truthfulness of the Prophet (sa) even though strange/bizarre. Jesus (as) was tempted by the devil and definitely in that state of choosing between two extremes,the human being would definitely weigh both options.so I can easily say Jesus (as) contemplated on what the devil was asking him to do.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by maclatunji: 4:24pm On Oct 14, 2012
dexmond:

Do you understand English at all? "Fear" in the context of the "bolded" is just that- fear. It is not based on factual evidence. How many people in the world at any point in time will believe that angels came and did a surgical operation on a child under their care? Of course, most people are going to have "fears" about such claims. That does not negate the fact that the event did happen. There's very little to explain here in terms of anything being amiss because nothing is.

Supernatural occurrences will almost certainly scare anyone. The case of Moses and the burning grass is well documented (AS), was Moses not apprehensive at the time? You can be sure he was. So, what on earth are you going on about? Find something better to do.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by sino(m): 5:32pm On Oct 14, 2012
nextpart: Can any honest muslim confirm or refute this?

I must first say, this your initial post is quite misleading,the hadith you quoted to back your claim did not state he attempted to throw himself off a mountain when he received the first revelation, rather, it was after the revelation paused for a while.

secondly, throughout my search in sahih bukhari, only one hadith carries this information, and it is not attributed to any companion...

compare the hadith with this also in sahih bukhari:

Narrated Aisha

(the mother of the faithful believers) The commencement of the Divine Inspiration to Allah's Apostle was in the form of good dreams which came true like bright daylight, and then the love of seclusion was bestowed upon him. He used to go in seclusion in the cave of Hira where he used to worship (Allah alone) continuously for many days before his desire to see his family. He used to take with him the journey food for the stay and then come back to (his wife) Khadija to take his food likewise again till suddenly the Truth descended upon him while he was in the cave of Hira. The angel came to him and asked him to read. The Prophet replied, "I do not know how to read."

The Prophet added, "The angel caught me (forcefully) and pressed me so hard that I could not bear it any more. He then released me and again asked me to read and I replied, 'I do not know how to read.' Thereupon he caught me again and pressed me a second time till I could not bear it any more. He then released me and again asked me to read but again I replied, 'I do not know how to read (or what shall I read)?' Thereupon he caught me for the third time and pressed me, and then released me and said, 'Read in the name of your Lord, who has created (all that exists) has created man from a clot. Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous." (96.1, 96.2, 96.3) Then Allah's Apostle returned with the Inspiration and with his heart beating severely. Then he went to Khadija bint Khuwailid and said, "Cover me! Cover me!" They covered him till his fear was over and after that he told her everything that had happened and said, "I fear that something may happen to me." Khadija replied, "Never! By Allah, Allah will never disgrace you. You keep good relations with your kith and kin, help the poor and the destitute, serve your guests generously and assist the deserving calamity-afflicted ones."

Khadija then accompanied him to her cousin Waraqa bin Naufal bin Asad bin 'Abdul 'Uzza, who, during the Pre-Islamic Period became a Christian and used to write the writing with Hebrew letters. He would write from the Gospel in Hebrew as much as Allah wished him to write. He was an old man and had lost his eyesight. Khadija said to Waraqa, "Listen to the story of your nephew, O my cousin!" Waraqa asked, "O my nephew! What have you seen?" Allah's Apostle described whatever he had seen. Waraqa said, "This is the same one who keeps the secrets (angel Gabriel) whom Allah had sent to Moses. I wish I were young and could live up to the time when your people would turn you out." Allah's Apostle asked, "Will they drive me out?" Waraqa replied in the affirmative and said, "Anyone (man) who came with something similar to what you have brought was treated with hostility; and if I should remain alive till the day when you will be turned out then I would support you strongly." But after a few days Waraqa died and the Divine Inspiration was also paused for a while.

Jabir bin 'Abdullah Al-Ansari narrated while talking about the period of pause in revelation reporting the speech of the Prophet "While I was walking, all of a sudden I heard a voice from the sky. I looked up and saw the same angel who had visited me at the cave of Hira sitting on a chair between the sky and the earth. I got afraid of him and came back home and said, 'Wrap me (in blankets).' And then Allah revealed the following Holy Verses (of Quran):

'O you (i.e. Muhammad)! wrapped up in garments! Arise and warn (the people against Allah's Punishment),...' up to 'and desert the idols.' (74.1-5) After this the revelation started coming strongly, frequently and regularly."

I am not an scholar of hadiths, but common sense tells me the information in this narration is more accurate.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by truthman2012(m): 7:27pm On Oct 14, 2012
dexmond:

Narrated 'Aisha:

Then Allah's Apostle returned with the Inspiration, his neck muscles twitching with terror till he entered upon Khadija and said, "Cover me! Cover me!" They covered him till his fear was over and then he said, "O Khadija, what is wrong with me?" Then he told her everything that had happened and said, 'I fear that something may happen to me." Khadija said, 'Never! But have the glad tidings, for by Allah, Allah will never disgrace you as you keep good relations with your Kith and kin, speak the truth, help the poor and the destitute, serve your guest generously and assist the deserving, calamity-afflicted ones." Khadija then accompanied him to (her cousin) Waraqa bin Naufal bin Asad bin 'Abdul 'Uzza bin Qusai. Waraqa was the son of her paternal uncle, i.e., her father's brother, who during the Pre-Islamic Period became a Christian and used to write the Arabic writing and used to write of the Gospels in Arabic as much as Allah wished him to write. He was an old man and had lost his eyesight. Khadija said to him, "O my cousin! Listen to the story of your nephew." Waraqa asked, "O my nephew! What have you seen?" The Prophet described whatever he had seen.

Waraqa said, "This is the same Namus (i.e., Gabriel, the Angel who keeps the secrets) whom Allah had sent to Moses. I wish I were young and could live up to the time when your people would turn you out." Allah's Apostle asked, "Will they turn me out?" Waraqa replied in the affirmative and said: "Never did a man come with something similar to what you have brought but was treated with hostility. If I should remain alive till the day when you will be turned out then I would support you strongly." But after a few days Waraqa died and the Divine Inspiration was also paused for a while and the Prophet became so sad as we have heard that he intended several times to throw himself from the tops of high mountains and every time he went up the top of a mountain in order to throw himself down, Gabriel would appear before him and say, "O Muhammad! You are indeed Allah's Apostle in truth" whereupon his heart would become quiet and he would calm down and would return home. And whenever the period of the coming of the inspiration used to become long, he would do as before, but when he used to reach the top of a mountain, Gabriel would appear before him and say to him what he had said before. (Ibn 'Abbas said regarding the meaning of: 'He it is that Cleaves the daybreak (from the darkness)' (6.96) that Al-Asbah. means the light of the sun during the day and the light of the moon at night). Quoted from the Sahih (authentic) Hadith (traditions) of Bukhari, [2], Volume 9, number 111

Why are you people dodging the facts in the hadith quoted above? You take the hadith that favours your argument at a time and reject the other.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by tintingz(m): 9:04pm On Oct 14, 2012
Even Samuel son of Hanna a prophet whose name means "heard of God" didn't recognize the voice of God. . .he as been choosen by God since young age. . .he was ministering under priest Eli. . .almost three times God called him, he was unable to recognize the voice of God not until the preist told him to reply to the voice. . .
One night when Eli the priest grew old and his sight became weak, Samuel was sleeping in the Tabernacle, where the ark of God was, God called Samuel, so he ran to Eli the priest and answered "Here am I; for thou calledst me". Eli then denied and asked him to go back to sleep. But then again the sound came calling Samuel, and he did the same, and Eli sent him back again. The third time, Eli understood that it was the Lord calling Samuel and sent him saying: "Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he calls thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, Lord, for thy servant heareth." (I Samuel 3:9)
we Humans are not perfect before God grin grin grin
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by maclatunji: 10:07pm On Oct 14, 2012
OP this answers all your questions from every conceivable angle http://muslim-responses.com/The_Fatrah/The_Fatrah_

By the way, I don't tolerate people going to antiIslamic website to copy things like you have done to cause unnecessary arguments. For every point raised in those antiIslamic website, there's a rebuttal. You can always get your answers to those questions if you're a genuine questioner which you aren't.

Grow-up and stop making a nuisance of yourself. You wouldn't recognise Sahih Bukhari if you saw it.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by truthman2012(m): 10:40pm On Oct 14, 2012
Whether you people admit or not, the truth remains Mohammed was the only prophet who attempted suice as a result of seing an angel.He remains the only prophet who as a child demonstrated the trait of a demonaic.

By the way, why is he the only prophet accused of violence, terrorism, immorality, etc? Why is the only prophet many people doubt his prophethood judging by his deed?
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by maclatunji: 11:18pm On Oct 14, 2012
truthman2012: Whether you people admit or not, the truth remains Mohammed was the only prophet who attempted suice as a result of seing an angel.He remains the only prophet who as a child demonstrated the trait of a demonaic.

By the way, why is he the only prophet accused of violence, terrorism, immorality, etc? Why is the only prophet many people doubt his prophethood judging by his deed?

Simple, he was the greatest of all the Prophets. "If nobody talks about you, then you're nobody" - Innocent Idibia.

You think the devil will watch the whole world receive God's guidance that is Islam without a fight?

2 Likes

Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by Stalwert: 11:21pm On Oct 14, 2012
maclatunji:

Simple, he was the greatest of all the Prophets. "If nobody talks about you, then you're nobody" - Innocent Idibia.

You think the devil will watch the whole world receive God's guidance that is Islam without a fight?

tell them jare, Muhammad pbuh seems the most slandered personality in human history
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by truthman2012(m): 8:59am On Oct 15, 2012
Why do you people think Mohammed is so great and yet he lacked confidence in himself.

Qur'an 46:9- Say: I am no new thing among the messangers (of Allah), nor know I what will be done with me or with you. I do but follow that which is inspired in me, I am but a plain warner.

All the versions or translations of the Qur'an say exactly this. How can you proudly say a man whose fate is unknown is so great?

Can't you people reason for once? Mohammed said ''he did not know what will be done with him and with you people (muslems). That means he did not have trust or confidence in ''what is inspired in him''. He had no absolute trust in the source of his revelation.

He was following Gabriel's revelation or inspiration out of compulsion otherwise he (Gabriel) would strangle him to death. On three occasions he (Gabriel) had almost killed him for failing 'to read'. He (Gabriel) pressed him so hard to the extent that he (Mohammed) could not bear it. He had no choice being a '' forced prophet'' and you say such a man is great? God will deliver you from spiritual blindness and ignorance.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by maclatunji: 9:13am On Oct 15, 2012
truthman2012: Why do you people think Mohammed is so great and yet he lacked confidence in himself.

Qur'an 46:9- Say: I am no new thing among the messangers (of Allah), nor know I what will be done with me or with you. I do but follow that which is inspired in me, I am but a plain warner.

All the versions or translations of the Qur'an say exactly this. How can you proudly say a man whose fate is unknown is so great?

Can't you people reason for once? Mohammed said ''he did not know what will be done with him and with you people (muslems). That means he did not have trust or confidence in ''what is inspired in him''. He had no absolute trust in the source of his revelation.

He was following Gabriel's revelation or inspiration out of compulsion otherwise he (Gabriel) would strangle him to death. On three occasions he (Gabriel) had almost killed him for failing 'to read'. He (Gabriel) pressed him so hard to the extent that he (Mohammed) could not bear it. He had no choice being a '' forced prophet'' and you say such a man is great? God will deliver you from spiritual blindness and ignorance.

You are a pathetic minion. These things you are asking are not from you thinking but from an anti-Islamic website that I know well. @bolded, here is your answer below:

The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History is a 1978 book by Michael H. Hart, reprinted in 1992 with revisions. It is a ranking of the 100 people who, according to Hart, most influenced human history.

The first person on Hart's list is the Prophet of Islam Muhammad. Hart asserted that Muhammad was "supremely successful" in both the religious and secular realms. He also believed that Muhammad's role in the development of Islam was far more influential than Jesus' collaboration in the development of Christianity. He attributes the development of Christianity to St. Paul, who played a pivotal role in its dissemination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_100
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by truthman2012(m): 10:18am On Oct 15, 2012
Spirituality is quite different from carnality. Somebody could be highly carnally intelligent and yet lack spiritual wisdom.

The ranking or commendation of Mohammed by these highly carnally intelligent people who lack spiritual wisdom does not make any difference. It is only a man of God that knows the mind of God.

Do the ranking and commendation of Mohammed remove the truth that he was under compultion of a spirit that would have tortured him to death if he dare refused his instructions?

Do they (the ranking and comm
endation) remove the truth that the Qur'an said Mohammed did not know what will be done with him and you?

What do peole say about a great warrior? There is no doubting the fact that Mohammed was a great man with the support of a spirit called Gabriel but great for ''Who''?

I insist that there is no wisdom in following a man who has no confidence or trust in his own action. A man whose fate is unknown.

The Qur'an (i.e spiritual) testimony about Mohammed should matter much more than what a million intelligent people say.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by maclatunji: 10:31am On Oct 15, 2012
truthman2012: Spirituality is quite different from carnality. Somebody could be highly carnally intelligent and yet lack spiritual wisdom.

The ranking or commendation of Mohammed by these highly carnally intelligent people who lack spiritual wisdom does not make any difference. It is only a man of God that knows the mind of God.

Do the ranking and commendation of Mohammed remove the truth that he was under compultion of a spirit that would have tortured him to death if he dare refused his instructions?

Do they (the ranking and comm
endation) remove the truth that the Qur'an said Mohammed did not know what will be done with him and you?

What do peole say about a great warrior? There is no doubting the fact that Mohammed was a great man with the support of a spirit called Gabriel but great for ''Who''?

I insist that there is no wisdom in following a man who has no confidence or trust in his own action. A man whose fate is unknown.

The Qur'an (i.e spiritual) testimony about Mohammed should matter much more than what a million intelligent people say.

The Qur'an is the most read and memorised book in the world. What next?
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by truthman2012(m): 11:45am On Oct 15, 2012
Why are you saying irrelevancies? Why are you not addressing the real issue - that the Qur'an testified Mohammed did know his own fate? That a spirit forced him to be saying what he was saying. That it is not reasonable to follow a man whose fate is uncertain and he knew it.

What does the issue have to do with the number of people reading or memorizing the Qur'an? Don't you know that only a few people will get to heaven out of the whole world population? Do you know the number of people in Buddaism but doest that make the religion acceptable to God?

In the time of Noah only eight people were saved out of the whole population then. In Sodom and Gormmorah only a few were saved. In own time only a few will be saved.

If you think it does not make any sense to follow a man who declared that he did not know what will happen to him, why not change for better.

Will Mohammed not be free from your blame on the judgement day because he told you the truth that he himself was know sure of his own fate?

Must you follow Mohammed as you are not under compulsion to do so? Do you love him more than your own eternal life?

Why would you leave somebody who confidently said he is the way and follow somebody who said he was not sure of himself?
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by maclatunji: 11:53am On Oct 15, 2012
truthman2012: Why are you saying irrelevancies? Why are you not addressing the real issue - that the Qur'an testified Mohammed did know his own fate? That a spirit forced him to be saying what he was saying. That it is not reasonable to follow a man whose fate is uncertain and he knew it.

What does the issue have to do with the number of people reading or memorizing the Qur'an? Don't you know that only a few people will get to heaven out of the whole world population? Do you know the number of people in Buddaism but doest that make the religion acceptable to God?

In the time of Noah only eight people were saved out of the whole population then. In Sodom and Gormmorah only a few were saved. In own time only a few will be saved.

If you think it does not make any sense to follow a man who declared that he did not know what will happen to him, why not change for better.

Will Mohammed not be free from your blame on the judgement day because he told you the truth that he himself was know sure of his own fate?

Must you follow Mohammed as you are not under compulsion to do so? Do you love him more than your own eternal life?

Why would you leave somebody who confidently said he is the way and follow somebody who said he was not sure of himself?

@bolded, would you be kind enough to quote the relevant verse(s)? LOL
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by truthman2012(m): 5:01pm On Oct 15, 2012
Qur'an 46:9. It is there at the beginning of the thread. And if you read all the responses to this threat you will see the places where Mohammed mentioned he was pressed thrice beyond what he could bear by Gabriel which means he was under coersion of that spirit.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by truthman2012(m): 5:59pm On Oct 15, 2012
Apart from Quran 46:9 that said Muhammed did not know what will be done with him and his followers, also read the post submitted by LagosShia above. Read the first paragraph of the six paragraphs in bolded letters. There Mohammed was said to be pressed hard to the bossom by Gabriel on three occasions 'to read'. Pressed to the bossom means a hard press to the highest possible. Other translation said he was pressed till he could no longer bear it.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by Sweetnecta: 6:02pm On Oct 15, 2012
^^^ If Muhammad [sa] was "coerced" by a known spirit [Angel Gabriel is who we are calling spirit here and indeed he is a spirit, "holy spirit" from the Islamic/Quranic statement], is it a bad thing?

Muhammad [sa] after clarity that he was a prophet of God, he did not need to be surprised even at anything concerning anything that is supernatural and man's sight do not commonly see.

Its a position of Honor that even the "mercy" to creation that Allah made Muhammad [sa], Angel Gabriel [as] benefits from it because Allah called him ruuh aamin.

Pressing Muhammad [sa] may have expressed importance of the mission on Muhammad [sa] because he definitely remembered that incident. A named spirit is already defined, definitely known.

We know he was no evil spirit or satan. And satan according to the Bibles lived inside Peter, made Judas betray his leader, made the leader do many things, including on a cliff/edge of a mountain, showing him the whole world, etc.

Muhammad [sa] knew Gabriel by name and he knew he was not satan.

Of course Muhammad [sa] knows where he is heading on Judgment Day. He is not arrogant to be gloating about Favor of Allah on him, instead he is contrived, humbled and glorifies Allah even more. The Quran has any many places where believers following Muhammad [sa] will enter Paradise. If the leader is not assured, how is the follower assured, as Allah has assured the followers? Muhammad [sa] gave many of his companions the good news of them entering paradise, so how is he not sure where is is going to become of him on the day of Judgment, the same person giving the honor of intercession?
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by Sweetnecta: 8:41pm On Oct 15, 2012
@Truthman2012:
by truthman2012: 8:59am
Why do you people think Mohammed is so great and yet he lacked confidence in himself.

Qur'an 46:9- Say: I am no new thing among the messengers (of Allah), nor know I what will be done with me or with you. I do but follow that which is inspired in me, I am but a plain warner.
the operative word there is "SAY". For example, God told Moses to "SAY" to Pharaoh that he should let the "Children of Israel go". Moses on his own as s fugitive from past years could not walk in to the presence of a king that is still after his life to make such a huge demand. In the Bibles, regardless of your believing Jesus to be God, God Himself told Jesus and all prophets before him among the children of Israel that they must say "God is One and He Lords over Israel". Well the roman ruler of Israel is known by pagans to be lording over the territory of Israel. But the believers in Israel, Jesus being number 1 of them knows that Yahweh/Ellah is the Lord over Israel and if these believers were instructed to say this to the face of the roman, do you think they will not say it? You people say that the disciples were threatened to be fed to animals if the renounce faith. They continued to stand firm. The case of Muhammad [sa] as to the verse you posted is similar. He had to repeat what he was told. If Allah did not let the community see that in spite of his position among them that he was still a human being, some Muslims might have directed worship at him, just the same way you christians deirect worship at Jesus son of Mary instead of God Who created him and his mother and chose him as a prophet to his people.

Just the same way Muhammad [sa] didnt know the future, it is exactly the same way Jesus and all those who had prophetic offices before him did not know the future.

When Paradise is promised to believers, i do hope that you will not say that the Muslim Paradise belongs to other people but Muslims and their last chairman, Muhammad [sa]? Quran is revealed to Muhammad [sa] and where Paradise is mentioned Muhammad [sa] is the head of those who are being spoken of as the inheritors. Where hell is mentioned, I can assure you that satan is the head of the inmates. As much as we curse satan, there is no way that the destination of the head of believers will not be opposite where satan will end up.

Just something to think about from the Bibles; "why have you left me to suffer?" will not be a statement of confidence of the questioner to the Questioned, will you not say? If you are married, and you left your wife in the hand of street punks who beat her to a coma, and she managed to make a phone call to you before she collapsed, asking you on the call "why did you abandon me", will you say she was happy with you and if you are in absolute authority to do something about her questioning you, will you not even punish her now, like divorce her or something greater than you had allowed the punks to do to her? It is obedience that God looks at. Humble obedience is better. Those who show humility in humble obedience to authority as not always given hard times. Muhammad [sa] humbly obeyed his Lord with great humility. we can not therefore say thats a sign of being condemned. Allah told him [sa] to enter Makka in complete humble humility in victory. And thats what he did instead of beating his chest or with song and dance.

He was following Gabriel's revelation or inspiration out of compulsion otherwise he (Gabriel) would strangle him to death.
Death and who dies is the the exclusive decision of God, not Gabriel or any other creations. For example "God of Jacob" sent His Angel to Jacob and what we read was a fight/wrestle. The end result was that he dislocated his hip rendering him to become a limping man. Even satan did not throw Jesus off the cliff even though he was able to carry/get him to the edge. You see, even the "spirit" drove him and or John to the wilderness. Are these not bad things if the mere getting the attention of Muhammad [sa] by squeezing him is "bad" in your own mind?

It was Muhammad [sa] the honest who told people what happened to him. There was no shame in it. Imagine God that was hungry and had to kill a tree because there was nothing to eat on it? The bedouin woman who nurse Muhammad [sa] was blessed with milk in her already dried brea.sts. There was no hunger in her home from the moment she took in the blessed soul [sa].

On three occasions he (Gabriel) had almost killed him for failing 'to read'. He (Gabriel) pressed him so hard to the extent that he (Mohammed) could not bear it. He had no choice being a '' forced prophet'' and you say such a man is great?
Moses was forced to be a prophet by Yahweh, so much so that his brother was made to assist him. I am using your Bibles. Jesus was forced to die for you because he begged for the cup to be "taken" off his head. No one will volunteer for the office of prophet-hood considering the hardship that Moses, John son of Zachariah, Jesus son of Mary, Noah, etc and definitely Muhammad [sa] went through. Muhammad [sa] says "whosoever lobbies for a post/position/an office, do not give it to him" [what it means].

God will deliver you from spiritual blindness and ignorance.
Amin. I make the same prayer for you. You may say Amin if you want or you may say no amin if you believe that you are set and you need no favor of God in matters of spirituality and steadfastness in getting to Paradise.

1 Like

Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by tintingz(m): 8:43pm On Oct 15, 2012
truthman2012: Why do you people think Mohammed is so great and yet he lacked confidence in himself.
and why do you make Jesus god. . .read what he said and explain. . .
"John 8:28 i do nothing of myself? Cant GOD do anything he wills"
someone you call your god can't do nothing by himself waiting for God to do anything he feels like?? Talkless of Mohammed(SAW) who NEVER called himself God/god nor we muslims never called him god, this's how we "human" are nothing before God who created us. . .maybe you should read your bible well before posting what you don't understand in the Quran and stop reading too much of anti-islamic sites they can't help its full of LIES. . .many scholars have rebuked their lies.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by maclatunji: 9:10pm On Oct 15, 2012
truthman2012: Qur'an 46:9. It is there at the beginning of the thread. And if you read all the responses to this threat you will see the places where Mohammed mentioned he was pressed thrice beyond what he could bear by Gabriel which means he was under coersion of that spirit.

I am not for all that. Quote the text of all the verses in one place so that there will be no ambiguity about your position. Simple task. Laughing at your lack of imagination.
Re: Is This True Of Prophet Muhammad? by truthman2012(m): 9:37pm On Oct 15, 2012
Sweetnecta: ^^^ If Muhammad [sa] was "coerced" by a known spirit [Angel Gabriel is who we are calling spirit here and indeed he is a spirit, "holy spirit" from the Islamic/Quranic statement], is it a bad thing?

Muhammad [sa] after clarity that he was a prophet of God, he did not need to be surprised even at anything concerning anything that is supernatural and man's sight do not commonly see.

Its a position of Honor that even the "mercy" to creation that Allah made Muhammad [sa], Angel Gabriel [as] benefits from it because Allah called him ruuh aamin.

Pressing Muhammad [sa] may have expressed importance of the mission on Muhammad [sa] because he definitely remembered that incident. A named spirit is already defined, definitely known.

We know he was no evil spirit or satan. And satan according to the Bibles lived inside Peter, made Judas betray his leader, made the leader do many things, including on a cliff/edge of a mountain, showing him the whole world, etc.

Muhammad [sa] knew Gabriel by name and he knew he was not satan.

Of course Muhammad [sa] knows where he is heading on Judgment Day. He is not arrogant to be gloating about Favor of Allah on him, instead he is contrived, humbled and glorifies Allah even more. The Quran has any many places where believers following Muhammad [sa] will enter Paradise. If the leader is not assured, how is the follower assured, as Allah has assured the followers? Muhammad [sa] gave many of his companions the good news of them entering paradise, so how is he not sure where is is going to become of him on the day of Judgment, the same person giving the honor of intercession?

That Mohammed did not know what will be done with him (Qur'an 46:9) was told him by Gabriel to tell the people. It was not Mohammed himself who decided to make the statement. So it is not a case of Mohammed being humble and not wanting puff up. By implication, Gabriel was telling Mohammed and his followers that their salvation is not guaranteed.

That the followers were assured of paradise was a contradiction. How could Gabriel tell Mohammed and his followers at one time that they did not know what will be done to them and later assured them of paradise again? This gives more room to suspect the sincerity of this Gabriel.

How are you so sure Gabriel was not satan? Mohammed was an illeterate man who could not read or write and Gabriel was aware of that fact. Why should he press him so hard to read the Quran to the extent Mohammed could not bear it? What I know for sure is that God would not command anybody to do what he is incapable of doing and punish him for his inability to do it. It is also against natural justice to force somebody to do what he is incapable of doing and punish him for something that is not his fault.

Besides, how many angel Gabriel do we have? If it is only one, he must be inconsistent and not trustworthy. Because he came to virgin Mary and told her the child she would bear would be called the Son of God (Luke 1:35). After more than 650 years later, he came and told Mohammed that Allah does not have a son. The first Gabriel must be different from the second as their messages were not the same. This is not to start argument on whether or not Jesus is a Son of God but to prove that there are two Gabriel.

There was a warning several years before the birth of Mohammed that if anybody or an angel come to preach any other gospel apart from the gospel of Christ, such person or angel should be cursed (Galatians 1:6-9). This warning and Mohammed's unjust coersion by the second Gabriel and his another gospel are enough to suspect the sender of this second Gabriel.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hajj: Renewal Of Self / Eid Ul Adha: Thread To Wish Your Loved Ones / The Muslim News. <Just Your Views pls>

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 288
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.