Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,606 members, 7,972,230 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 07:06 AM

Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? (12625 Views)

PWC 2014 Graduate Program (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by DisGuy: 12:59pm On Dec 18, 2012
Kukute1: @OP it still depends on you. What is your current salary? any prospect or opportunity of being staffed permanently in your current job? For my own experience, I was in your shoe 8years ago. I had excellent grade in my field and went for a contract job in an oil exploration company in nigeria. 2 yrs later I wanted to quit for masters/PhD or continue the job and get married but after serious thought and prayers, I got married, got an international job that triple my nigeria salary just 3months into marriage. Now, I have joined another international company in a senior position. I can pay for my studies to any level. In a nut shell, your current job experience matters alot. If you know you are not getting marketable experience in your current job, then think otherwise but if yes stick to it and send your cvs out and plan for your marriage. There is always natural blessings attached to marriage. Above all, pray fervently for divine guidiance. It is well with you.

point
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by madridsta007(m): 12:15am On Dec 19, 2012
With the name 'My Vicky' no one knows if you are male or female. And you gave little information about your life's stats.

Maybe be more detailed so we can advise better.
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by bakeham(m): 7:15am On Dec 19, 2012
I would say that it is mostly depends upon you. What are your priorities in life that will help you in deciding. But getting a scholarship in us university and postponing marriage seems a good decision as you have a good opportunities
for your future life and having a good future life will also help you a lot for good matrimonial life.

Programs to enhance the business performance of your team
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by bucho(m): 2:04pm On Dec 23, 2012
Honestly MyJWell & Virtue 11 made salient points.May be a short story of my life might be of help but at the end it still boils down to what u want.
I graduated with 2.1 in Geosciences and finished NYSC 2006, while searching 4 job I considered travelling 4 my MSc abroad and started saving towards that.'Unfortunately' I got a job with one of the top Nigerian banks as a marketer(core staff) in 2008.I thought I've landed a good job, thereby abandoning my overseas career adventure and actually planned on making a career in banking.My erstwhile girlfriend whom I've dated for 5 yrs then,started putting pressure on me to marry her(though she was yet to serve).So I had to pay for her bride price and perform some other preliminary rites in 2010.At this point also I was saddled with responsibilities from my immediate family members(being the first born) and relatives.My wife so to say, started demanding again that we make babies,but I had to refuse cos my salary barely takes care of my responsibilities then.
Sanusi assumed office as CBN boss and most people's nightmare began in the sector.To cut the long story short the recent wave of retrenchment saw me out of the bank Sept 2012.Now I'm faced with the option of traveling for further studies as getting job in the country now is hopeless with the collapse of the only sector that was recruiting massively(banking) and age limit requirements for most jobs.
So @Op my candid opinion is that you should go for your studies 1st and then every other thing will fall into place if you stay focused.The contract job you're guarding against is not even secured as long as it's in Naija,anything can happen.But in all u know what u want,give it your best shot.My story was just to guide or help u in taking ur decision.Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by Admitwithschola: 8:07pm On Dec 23, 2012
bucho: Honestly MyJWell & Virtue 11 made salient points.May be a short story of my life might be of help but at the end it still boils down to what u want.
I graduated with 2.1 in Geosciences and finished NYSC 2006, while searching 4 job I considered travelling 4 my MSc abroad and started saving towards that.'Unfortunately' I got a job with one of the top Nigerian banks as a marketer(core staff) in 2008.I thought I've landed a good job, thereby abandoning my overseas career adventure and actually planned on making a career in banking.My erstwhile girlfriend whom I've dated for 5 yrs then,started putting pressure on me to marry her(though she was yet to serve).So I had to pay for her bride price and perform some other preliminary rites in 2010.At this point also I was saddled with responsibilities from my immediate family members(being the first born) and relatives.My wife so to say, started demanding again that we make babies,but I had to refuse cos my salary barely takes care of my responsibilities then.
Sanusi assumed office as CBN boss and most people's nightmare began in the sector.To cut the long story short the recent wave of retrenchment saw me out of the bank Sept 2012.Now I'm faced with the option of traveling for further studies as getting job in the country now is hopeless with the collapse of the only sector that was recruiting massively(banking) and age limit requirements for most jobs.
So @Op my candid opinion is that you should go for your studies 1st and then every other thing will fall into place if you stay focused.The contract job you're guarding against is not even secured as long as it's in Naija,anything can happen.But in all u know what u want,give it your best shot.My story was just to guide or help u in taking ur decision.Best of luck.

Hi,

Since you are planning for further studies, I expect you to speak with me.
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by MyVicky: 7:57am On Feb 25, 2013
pato405: A couple of yrs ago, I was in this same quandary, guess what, I took a big risk, dived into the Uk for postgrad. Now, I sometyms regret such decision, but friends tell me to cheer up, afterall, I have achieved an Msc & also pursuing a PhD via scholarship which came merely by chance/ grace - sheer chance I believe because if I claim it was merit, there were a lot of students from different parts of the world who also applied along side with me. some, as a matter of fact, had very good MSc grades.

In summary, it's not been rosy. if I'll be candid with you, I'll advise you to be strategic. do not resign your job if you must travel out for Msc. it's pretty difficult getting a job abroad in this time of economic quagmire. otherwise, you'll return begging for a job you despised. a study leave will be ideal. there are possibilities of being made a permanent staff when you return with your postgrad cert. if eventually, you get a job in US after MSc, then you can throw in a resignation letter. marriage may not be a bad option, but that decision is left to you. if you find a good lady (which can be difficult these days too) who's willing to support your meagre income, both of you can pull through while you hold on to your current job and advance your studies latter (it's never late). Infact, this might even be the better option.
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by MyVicky: 12:36am On May 30, 2013
Admitwithschola:

Hi,

Since you are planning for further studies, I expect you to speak with me.
And what will you do?
Re: Job, Graduate Program Or Marriage? by khia: 4:51am On Mar 10, 2015
o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Memoir Of A Job-seeker: A Nairalander’s Job Search Experience / Court Orders Globacom To Pay Ex-worker $80, 212 / Dana Air Sacks Employees Without Paying Salary Backlogs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.