Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,335 members, 7,888,072 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:43 PM

US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … (2626 Views)

US Pledges $600 Million To Aid Nigeria / Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? / 2015: US Pledges Support To INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by Neversaydie: 2:46pm On Oct 12, 2012
US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive …As Adefuye Says FG On Top Boko Haram Violence

The United States on Wednesday reaffirmed its conviction of the leadership role of Nigeria in the African continent, describing Nigeria as the largest democracy in Africa and pledging full support in the country’s investment push.

Speaking at the United States-Nigeria Infrastructure Conference: Building the Infrastructure for Nigeria;s Vision 20:2020, in Washington DC, Mr. Johnnie Carson, Assistant Secretary of State for Africa Affairs,said with the nation’s vast human and natural resources coupled with President Goodluck Jonathan’s transformation drive, Nigeria stands a chance of becoming the economic hub of the world.

He maintained that due to the premium President Barack Obama placed on the strategic economic potentials of Nigeria, the US government “stands ready to work with Nigeria” and US-Nigeria investment drive into the country.

Mr. Carson who represented the US government at the event said that the government of his country would continue to improve on the Bi-national relationship it has with Nigeria by promoting trade and investment in the West African country.

Lending credence to Mr. Carson’s position, the Nigeria’s Ambassador to the US, Mr. Ade Adefuye, urged US businessmen to come to invest in Nigeria advising them to ignore claims of insecurity in Nigeria.

“When we privatised our telecoms, US firms shied away because of militancy in the Niger Delta and left the way for Europeans and South Africa and when you asked them today they will tell you what they have made. today, the government is opening up investments in power, Agriculture and Transport and this is the time for US investors to take up their positions in Nigeria,” he said.

The diplomat said “Let them not tell you about Boko Haram. The Nigerian Government is working hard to contain Boko Haram. If the government could contain Niger Delta militancy, then Boko Haram will soon be a thing of the past”.

He said “one thing we have in Nigeria is the size of the market. You cannot just beat the market and the Nigeria Government is also providing the market that is conducive”.

Emphasised the role of the Nigerian Embassy in Washington DC in wooing foreign investors to Nigeria in the areas of infrastructure, Agriculture, Power, Aviation saying “we want to diversify our economy to the non-oil sectors in order to ensure that the country achieve its objectives as regards Vision 2020. Nigeria is trying to diversifying in the areas of Agriculture, Communication, Power and others. Foreign investors should join hands with Nigeria to achieve its goals in these areas”

The President of the Corporate Council on Africa,the co-organisers of the conference Mr. Stephen Hayes, said that CCA would continue to create supports for Nigeria in the area of directing foreign investors to do their businesses in the country.

Mr. Stephen Hayes who said that he was sure that Nigeria would surely be one of the world’s economic giant in 2020, also hailed the Transformation Agenda of President Goodluck Jonathan, stressing that such agenda should be supported for its motive to create good governance and human capital development.

http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/exclusive/us-pledges-continuos-support-to-nigerias-investment-drive-as-adefuye-says-fg-on-top-boko-haram-violence/
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by braine(m): 3:09pm On Oct 12, 2012
We truely need support. I really hope that this vision 2020 thingy comes alive.

1 Like

Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 13, 2012
braine: We truely need support. I really hope that this vision 2020 thingy comes alive.
If Power Sector is fully privatized and Petroleum Sector fully deregulated. Then the next thing will be to privatize steel industry and build export processing zone, and then Nigeria becomes the next big thing. I cant put time frame to it, but thats the way forward.

1 Like

Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by slimming: 9:20am On Oct 13, 2012
corruption will not allow us the ordinary citizen to benefit from such investment and support.
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by Truman155(m): 9:20am On Oct 13, 2012
If the united states actually said this we are in serious trouble the united states i know will never help any country to grow they only make u their permanent market example consider what they are doing to china they put high tax on the importation of chinese tires, they pass a bill condaming chines companies hauwai, and zte, they block the importation of chinese solar pannels and wind turbines they did all this things and maney more all in an attempt to stall chinese economic growth now just visualise what wil happen if we export anytin appat from unrefined crude oil to the united states their is this proverb if u walk in dangerous grounds u tread carefully the u.s have allways cheated us we export unrefined crude oil in import refined one so y do we think this time will be different if an american help another country that person will never win an election in the u.s they will say the person is exporting jobs to other country ¥long leave china
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by Nobody: 9:27am On Oct 13, 2012
Thats the only thing that is giving us an edge over others,'size of market,'highly populated, 'giant of Africa'. Aside that,we are expendable in the world market.
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 13, 2012
Have the USA ever helped us or anyother country? All the countries they helped are in chaos. Yes I remember they helped us lose bakassi that's the kind of help that they offer, helps that won't favour the citizens but would favour them
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 13, 2012
Talk ! Talk! And and more talk.... We don't always need outsiders to advice us and tell us what to do.

If they really want to do something about it, they should first tackle corruption, creat a favourable business environment, invest in the population, put infastructure like roads, electricity in perfect place and every other thing will follow.....

Too much talk amount to platitude.
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by RedLight1: 9:35am On Oct 13, 2012
@harri87

what is ur problem? why are u flooding everywhere with ur stupiid modelling job.. stop wasting my bandwith loading ur stupid picture over and over
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by saleeh: 9:46am On Oct 13, 2012
naija shine ur eyes never trust this illuminate countary...they want good for nobody...killuminate
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by ZeusI: 9:53am On Oct 13, 2012
When will Nigeria wake up? U.S is synonymous to devil, his support is never in vain, the companies and every-every they implanted to spy on Nigeria is not enough, huh? Their one thriving investment (Boko Haram) is not enough? I guess they want this group to be as sophisticated as Al-qaeda. Since they(U.S) and their acolytes(Britain and France etc) started stating their 'hungry lion to an antelope' support, where has Nigeria sailed to? These people, or rather, 'demons' are the cause of Universal cataclysm. I think U.S should pay more attention to their internal policy and pay off their 'nigh irredeemable' dept($17 trillion), and solve their 'occupy wallstreet' campaigns which they supressed by means of media control, with other things like; tackling unimployment which the pledge to pacify has become a debacle, and gun control policy etc, and let Nigeria, and other sovereign nations to be. A blind leader of a one'eyed man they(U.S) are. You impose despots and dictators, and when their assigned duties are expired, you depose them and claim just. You fight for rights, what is happening in Saudi-Arabia, Yemen and Bharain?

1 Like

Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by Kslib(m): 9:54am On Oct 13, 2012
Na today,abegi make we hear word.. I dont take such news serious cos i have heard it times without number.. Usa blah blah blah
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by Builder: 9:57am On Oct 13, 2012
Once the United States Of Double Standard AKa America starts singing the praises of your country, just know that (1) the leadership of the country is useless and corrupt (2) America is benefitting immensely from the resources of that country. History over the years have told us that america will do whatever it takes to promote chaos, instability and death in any country that puts her citizens first before investment. How i hope American could let the people of Nigeria decide for themselves how good the leadership of their country is...
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 13, 2012
Builder: Once the United States Of Double Standard AKa America starts singing the praises of your country, just know that (1) the leadership of the country is useless and corrupt (2) America is benefitting immensely from the resources of that country. History over the years have told us that america will do whatever it takes to promote chaos, instability and death in any country that puts her citizens first before investment. How i hope American could let the people of Nigeria decide for themselves how good the leadership of their country is...
What are you talking about ?
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by aglomar: 10:19am On Oct 13, 2012
To whose benefit? Neo-colonisation par excellence!
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by alienware(m): 10:47am On Oct 13, 2012
americans that invade a country with fabricated proofs.they will never help this country unless we act fast to develop our country, we are pretty much doomed to continue in this state of under development
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by fredoooooo: 11:04am On Oct 13, 2012
why cant these people leave us alone for once , we all know you never go to any country you can not benefit fr0m .
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by Ozonna(m): 11:34am On Oct 13, 2012
What da heck are u guys talking about If we don't attract FDI, most of us here will start cursing GEJ and now the west are interested we're saying we don't want them.

Who do we prefer? Chinese, Indians or Lebanese? I believe you know how badly they treat Nigerians in their firms. Now compare how the Western owned firms treat Nigerians to the way Chinese treat us in their firms.

Nigeria needs US,UK,Germany and all Illuminati countries (for conspiracy theorists) to develop and improve our lives. FG can't give everybody job, we need the private sector to provide the needed jobs for us.
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by taharqa: 11:35am On Oct 13, 2012
slimming: corruption will not allow us the ordinary citizen to benefit from such investment and support.
And what hv you done about it cept complaining and whinning in order to perhaps get sm false 'feel good' knock-out effect that you are doing smthing. Hv u joind d move to urge d CJN to name Special Judges on corruptn Or tried to monitor d executn of projects by contractors and govt agencies Or use d FOI bill to expose corrupt practices etc? Hv u look at sm of d things dis admin is doing to open govt financing and processes in order to furda expose corrupt? What are u doing cept Complaining and Whinning
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by taharqa: 11:40am On Oct 13, 2012
Olodostein: Talk ! Talk! And and more talk.... We don't always need outsiders to advice us and tell us what to do.

If they really want to do something about it, they should first tackle corruption, creat a favourable business environment, invest in the population, put infastructure like roads, electricity in perfect place and every other thing will follow.....

Too much talk amount to platitude.
And what hv u ever done to improve anything in dis environment apart from talk?
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 13, 2012
taharqa: And what hv u ever done to improve anything in dis environment apart from talk?

If I told you, you would pee in your pant... I wouldn't like to blow my humble cover especially to a short sighted dokita like you...
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by TippyTop(m): 12:25pm On Oct 13, 2012
This is great and it shows the confidence the US govt have in GEJ. We have to be careful though, the US have permanent interest and their permanent interest is how to make the USA even richer than it is.
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by FrankC3: 1:02pm On Oct 13, 2012
Well, i know a guy that recently join an American coy that want to establish in itself in Nigeria Power industry and they made him an offer of more than 400% increase in his former payslip. Right now, my guy is feeling 'transformed'. This guy is ok right now and he will disagree with folks who believe that Nigeria is not moving forward.
This is the power of FDI. Knowledge transfer, technology transfer, wealth creation and a multiplier effect of expanding middle class.
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by OYINBOGOJU(m): 1:04pm On Oct 13, 2012
Can anyone tell me One basic investments America has in Nigeria?

Its all propaganda.
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by braine(m): 1:11pm On Oct 13, 2012
Billyonaire: If Power Sector is fully privatized and Petroleum Sector fully deregulated. Then the next thing will be to privatize steel industry and build export processing zone, and then Nigeria becomes the next big thing. I cant put time frame to it, but thats the way forward.

Privatization of the power sector is what is needed most. I can imagine the rapid development that will occur. I've not seen anyone who talked about privatization of the steel industry.
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by taharqa: 1:11pm On Oct 13, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: Can anyone tell me One basic investments America has in Nigeria?

Its all propaganda.
Was this just askd by an educatd person?
Re: US Pledges Continuous Support To Nigeria’s Investment Drive … by taharqa: 1:15pm On Oct 13, 2012
Olodostein:

If I told you, you would pee in your pant... I wouldn't like to blow my humble cover especially to a short sighted dokita like you...
4 yr mind @Olodo-style....anyways, if u are actuali doing smthing about it, dats gud- dats wot we all shld be doing; although i hv mostly seen u 'Talk' in NL

(1) (Reply)

Amaechi Not NGF Chairman, Presidency Insists / Why Does Young Nelson Mandela Look Kinda Chinese? / You Think Buhari Was Not Part Of The 1983 Coup? Now Read This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.