Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,745 members, 7,889,394 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 11:12 AM

Is 419 in our genes? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is 419 in our genes? (3152 Views)

God says Nigeria’s Centenary Celebration Plan Is 419 By Musiwa / Caught On Video: Nigerian Con Men (419) In Malaysia / Grandfathers Take Over 419 In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Inkwazi: 6:48pm On Jan 30, 2008
I am glad to hear you are proud to be Nigerian.

Pride is the very first step in effecting change,
Think about it, if you are proud of your Country, then you think about consequences.
Whether it's tossing a bottle out your car window, cheating your electricity bill or accepting a bribe, people who are proud would NOT partake in such activities.
Not just that, BUT you would also express disdain at others who drop a Coke can, or who steal electricity or accept bribes Why?, because they are not just being dishonest, but are also disgracing your country, and proud people do not want thier country disgraced.
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by OpeLovely(f): 3:03pm On Jan 31, 2008
Inkwazi:

I am glad to hear you are proud to be Nigerian.

Pride is the very first step in effecting change,
Think about it, if you are proud of your Country, then you think about consequences.
Whether it's tossing a bottle out your car window, cheating your electricity bill or accepting a bribe, people who are proud would NOT partake in such activities.
Not just that, BUT you would also express disdain at others who drop a Coke can, or who steal electricity or accept bribes Why?, because they are not just being dishonest, but are also disgracing your country, and proud people do not want their country disgraced.

I agree totally!!!!!! Charity begins at home. Its easy to sit back and criticise without looking at ourselves inwardly. When we throw pure water nylon of dirt outside, is it the govt that threw it there And yet you expect the govt to clear it for you. We say our leaders steal, yet we visit them and ask for material demands that would make them steal. We say we need a honest leader, yet when a govt makes tough laws like using helmet for okada, fire extinguisher and Mot Test for cars, we complain. Even using seat belt is a burden to us. Getting into school, we bribe and sleep with authorities, we cheat during exams, we lie so much and even pretend to be like Americans!!

We should stop being hypocrites and do the right thing. Its only us that can move this country forward, no one else.
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Blatant: 4:12pm On Jan 31, 2008
OpeLovely:

I agree totally!!!!!! Charity begins at home. Its easy to sit back and criticise without looking at ourselves inwardly. When we throw pure water nylon of dirt outside, is it the govt that threw it there And yet you expect the govt to clear it for you. We say our leaders steal, yet we visit them and ask for material demands that would make them steal. We say we need a honest leader, yet when a govt makes tough laws like using helmet for okada, fire extinguisher and Mot Test for cars, we complain. Even using seat belt is a burden to us. Getting into school, we bribe and sleep with authorities, we cheat during exams, we lie so much and even pretend to be like Americans!!

We should stop being hypocrites and do the right thing. Its only us that can move this country forward, no one else.

God bless you
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Inkwazi: 4:41pm On Jan 31, 2008
QUOTE:  We should stop being hypocrites and do the right thing. Its only us that can move this country forward, no one else[b][/b]

Well said, !!  That, my friend, in a nutshell, is the ONLY way Africa shall move foward.

It all starts with the little things, like asking someone not to drop their rubbish, once you fix the little stuff, the big stuff comes naturally.
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 31, 2008
I agree it starts with the little things but when your leaders do not punish minor atrocities (let alone crimes) and turn the other way, then we are all wasting our time, people will continue being what they are. If my mother tells me to do something and I do not do it, by the time she slaps me, what do I do? I rush to do it immediately.
In Nigeria, a woman selling corn will litter the whole environment with corn chaff, forget about looking inwards since most people have lost all sense propriety, if that woman is fined or continued to be fined from her hard earned money by the government, I don't think she will do it again.
This is not about pointing fingers to the government, but if Nigerians do not want to do as propriety demands then we need a credible force to imbibe that culture. smiley
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Seun(m): 7:00pm On Jan 31, 2008
If my mother tells me to do something and I do not do it, by the time she slaps me, what do I do? I rush to do it immediately.
Nigerian parents abuse their children physically and it does not help.
When you grow old and there is no one to slap you, what then?
People need to be brought up to understand why bad things should not be done.
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jan 31, 2008
Seun:

That was just an illustration, Seun, don't change the subject.
The government/constitution will always be there to enforce the law. Some people will not learn through "understanding why bad things should not be done", -who are we deceiving- maybe it will work for children not hardened Nigerian adults.
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Inkwazi: 11:21pm On Jan 31, 2008
With respect to government, it is always true that you get the government that your willing to fight for.
or, you get the government that your willing put up with, either way, the only way a corrupt government (which is all that Nigeria has ever had) can only be changed when people screw up enough courage , get together and change it.
Nigeria is the largest oil producing country in Africa, and 5th in the world, yet the majority of people live in squalor. Too many people actually think its great when their president purchases a new 35million dollar private jet, while sewage flows in the streets,
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Blatant: 2:09pm On Feb 01, 2008
Seun:

You mean correction is abuse shocked
Come and see children who have never been corrected properly here and see how violent and unruly they are.
Please spare me that colo-mentality thing.

My dad used the rod of correction on me a few times when I was younger. It only helped to make me a better person
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Feb 01, 2008
@ pster. maybe we'd get those guys who did the human genome project to specially map out the nigerian genes. grin
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Blackcat(f): 12:37am On Feb 03, 2008
romeo:
This shows that your bad behaviour is genetic!!
Bad behaviour is indeed genetic and we see it everyday in Ibo boys all over the world cheesy
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by oziomatv(m): 10:38am On Feb 03, 2008
Blackcat:

Bad behaviour is indeed genetic and we see it everyday in Ibo boys all over the world cheesy

IGBOS HAS CRIME IN THEIR BLOOD AND 419 IN THEIR GENES.

THE FAILURE GOVT. THAT IS RULLING NIGERIA FOR 48YRS NOW ARE IGBOS, THE TOP MINISTERS AND PRESIDENTS THAT STEAL NIGERIAN MONEY  TO GIVE IT OUT TO SWISS BANK  TO USE IN DEVELOPING HIS COUNTRY THEN COME BACK AND STARVE HIS OWN PEOPLE ARE IGBOS.
  THE GOVT. THAT DRAIN CRUDE OIL FROM SOUTH SOUTH AND USE IT TO DEVELOP THE WEST GHETTO(LAGOS) AND THE NORTHERN DESERT(ABUJA) ARE ALSO IGBOS. 48YRS AFTER COLONIAL RULES WITH RESOURCES AND NO BRAIN TO GET SOLUTION  ON HOW TO MAKE WATER RUN IN A PIPE  NOT TO TALK OF GIVING LIGHT TO A SINGLE BULB ARE BEING ADMINISTRATED BY IGBOS. BUILDING GOOD ROADS IS LIKE TELLING THEM TO BUILD SPACE CENTER, THEY'RE IGBOS. RECYCLED POLITICIANS (RULE TODAY WITH UNIFORM AND TOMORROW ON MUFTI PRESIDENTS) ARE IGBOS.

AFTER A HUGE EDUCATION NON IGBOS HAVE THEY STILL COME OUT WITH NO SOLUTION TO HIS PROBLEM, IS IT NOT MORE THAN A CRIME?
   BUT IF THE IGBOS ARE THE PROBLEM NIGERIANS HAVE WHY CAN'T THEY GIVE THEM A DIVORCE AND SETTLE THEIR PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL.
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Inkwazi: 12:55pm On Feb 03, 2008
QUOTE: "THE TOP MINISTERS AND PRESIDENTS THAT STEAL NIGERIAN MONEY TO GIVE IT OUT TO SWISS BANK TO USE IN DEVELOPING HIS COUNTRY THEN COME BACK AND STARVE HIS OWN PEOPLE ARE IGBOS"

Maybe so, but how do you explain the exact same behavior regarding squandering of wealth in countries like Equatorial Guinea, Cameroun, Gabon, Angola, Sudan, Tchad, Cote d'Ivoire, , the list is endless,

It's far more reaching than just one tribe, it's a pan-african problem.
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Nick1: 9:45am On Sep 03, 2009
Another word for 419 is simply SCAM. This is english word which means 419ers, fraudsters, scammers, oles, oyinochi and barawos and they are everywhere around the globe. Therefore, there is no 419 in anyone's gene because 419 is a character and not a living substance that may be a part of your genetic composition. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Nick1: 9:53am On Sep 03, 2009
Quote from: Blackcat on February 03, 2008, 12:37 AM
Bad behaviour is indeed genetic and we see it everyday in Ibo boys all over the world

Your comment is absurd and totally offensive to any human intelligence and dignity. I should not have dignified you by replying to your obscene comment, but I can just let you passed by without telling you that you are a pathetic alien. tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Is 419 in our genes? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 03, 2009
well, Nigeria is ruled by crime lords for the most part.

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Umaru Musa Yar’adua Has Sent 13 Ministerial Nominees / Alleged Diversion Of N19 Billion From River Niger Dredging Is False / Police Arrest 15 Over Rimi’s Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.