Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,787 members, 7,921,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 12:49 PM

Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? (11868 Views)

Is It Proper For Nigerian Guys To Toast A Lady On Social Media? / Help! Is It Proper To Disclose Your Finances With Your Wife? / Ladies/men Would You Disclose Your Salary To Your Partner? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by NEROSKY(m): 6:08pm On Oct 13, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

I disclose my earnings to my husband and he does the same to me. We have a joint account that is for the house and we both contribute 50 percent since both of us are employed.

Anytime a spouse hides their finances...it is fishy and shady!
you mean gainfully or just employed
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by NEROSKY(m): 6:13pm On Oct 13, 2012
you must knw D kinda wife u marry b4 any decision...becuz u dnt go around fire xpectin nt 2 sweat.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by dewize01(m): 6:21pm On Oct 13, 2012
d33j@y85:

Jus d basics. Food clothing and shelter and taking care of d kids. Den prolli 10% of my earnings for her pocket moni
unless the money is not there,women wud keep asking
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by ikukuoma: 6:57pm On Oct 13, 2012
nada....nada..
l will do no such thing,lemme manage my finances..she will manage hers -chikena
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by OloriL(f): 7:03pm On Oct 13, 2012
Deleted
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by AB10(m): 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2012
In an ideal situation yes but in Nigeria of today, I'll thread on path of caution.
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by Tedpgrass: 7:07pm On Oct 13, 2012
The degree of spousal financial compatibility financial education or enlightenment is a determining factor....

Congruence of midterm and long-term goals is a necessary other factor.

Trust and selfless attitude is the creme de la creme.

Women are too busy looking to get money off hubbies to either show off, amass for the proverbial rainy day... ** when he changes affection to another woman** or other fairly legitimate reasons which are not necessarily appropriate.

Men as a result of the above and whilst avoiding the pain of being constantly monitored or doctored hide their earnings.
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by abiL(f): 7:10pm On Oct 13, 2012
There's no wrong or right answer to this.

If you want to disclose your earnings to your partner, then do so. If not, then don't.

It's all personal preferences. But if you're in a marriage with someone, there should be no lies or dishonesty. However, if you're only dating, then you don't really have any reason to disclose your earnings.

A girl should like you because of who you are, and not for how deep your pocket is.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by KINGwax(m): 7:25pm On Oct 13, 2012
No
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by Idowuogbo(f): 7:27pm On Oct 13, 2012
abiL: There's no wrong or right answer to this.

If you want to disclose your earnings to your partner, then do so. If not, then don't.

It's all personal preferences. But if you're in a marriage with someone, there should be no lies or dishonesty. However, if you're only dating, then you don't really have any reason to disclose your earnings.

A girl should like you because of who you are, and not for how deep your pocket is.
U don say!!
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by abiL(f): 7:31pm On Oct 13, 2012
[quote author=Idowuogbo]
U don say!![/quote

I 'speaketh' the truth my sister
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by Idowuogbo(f): 7:34pm On Oct 13, 2012
[quote author=abiL][/quote]
All day everyday bebe!
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by dewize01(m): 7:44pm On Oct 13, 2012
All well and good. My judgement reserved
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by cindyrella(f): 7:58pm On Oct 13, 2012
mbatuku2:

it's only easy to know how much you earn if you are salaried.
Guess you are right!
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by ashmanpolo: 7:59pm On Oct 13, 2012
delyghtfulmee: Ok in a situation where the wife earns more than her husband and the husband discloses his earnings, do you guys think it's okay for the wife to also do the same? Won't he begin to feel insecure and inferior when he finds out how much more than him his wife earns?

Ok in a situation where the wife earns more than her husband and the husband discloses his earnings....his wife will always b like "God pity dis man na"
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by TheBuilder: 8:06pm On Oct 13, 2012
Nothing is truly wrong in spouses disclosing their incomes to each other but it must be done with wisdom. The materialistic tendencies of partners particularly women in this dispensation is a major threat to this idea. It worked well in those days when men and women were less materialistic, more contented, more God fearing and more compliant with marriage rules of engagement. Today, the most conservative and understanding of women have the tendency to become extravagant once she know how huge her husband earns. For men that earns well, the wives cannt stand hearing that the man is broke. Otherwise he must produce the cashbook register of how he spent every penny.
The model I recommend is for the spouses to agree on how bills are financed- house maintenance, children schools fees, capital projects, dependant relatives etc.once these are agreed, let each spouse play his/her role as agreed. This approach will protect the spouses so much hassles about domestic finances and its attendant implications on the home.
Cheers,

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by abiL(f): 8:08pm On Oct 13, 2012
TheBuilder: Nothing is truly wrong in spouses disclosing their incomes to each other but it must be done with wisdom. The materialistic tendencies of partners particularly women in this dispensation is a major threat to this idea. It worked well in those days when men and women were less materialistic, more contented, more God fearing and more complaint with marriage rules of engagement. Today, the most conservative and understanding of women have the tendency to become extravagant once she know how huge her husband earns. For men that earns well, the wives cannt stand hearing that the man is broke. Otherwise he must produce the cashbook register of how he spent every penny.
The model I recommend is for the spouses to agree on how bills are financed- house maintenance, children schools fees, capital projects, dependant relatives etc.once these are agreed, let each spouse play his/her role as agreed. This approach will protect the spouses so much hassles about domestic finances and its attendant implications on the home.
Cheers,

Wow! See dedication.
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by queensmith: 8:30pm On Oct 13, 2012
Only backwards thinking leads to questions like these.

How are you going to live without knowing one anothers incomes? How does she decide what you can afford and you likewise?

You should be pooling your funds together to create better lifestyles for yourselves.

The first thing you should know about the guy you marry is how much he earns, then you can decide if he is a sensible spender and if you want to marry him.
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by MrsChima(f): 8:54pm On Oct 13, 2012
NEROSKY:
you mean gainfully or just[b] employed[/b]

You wish you can say that for yourself huh? wink kiss
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by MrsChima(f): 9:03pm On Oct 13, 2012
queensmith: Only backwards thinking leads to questions like these.

How are you going to live without knowing one anothers incomes? How does she decide what you can afford and you likewise?

You should be pooling your funds together to create better lifestyles for yourselves.

The first thing you should know about the guy you marry is how much he earns, then you can decide if he is a sensible spender and if you want to marry him.

One of the several reasons some marriages struggles is because of finances. You get with someone who is not a sensible shopper like you have mentioned and every time bills need to be paid....spouse 1 have spent it!

During my courtship/engagement, personal things were discussed and finances was one of them. We both shared opinions of how money should be disbursed, who were responsible for the money, our approaches to money, theories about money, and if one is not working what should be expected etc. We both came up with a plan and agreed on a, b, c, and d.

In my opinion, married couples who hold jobs should have a joint account and each should be responsible for 50 percent of the bills. If one person is the breadwinner, a joint account should still be in effect because lack of employment isn't a disease.

But it is surprising to see some men will hide their finances even from their wives and one excuse was to keep a wife from being too demanding.
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by dewize01(m): 9:05pm On Oct 13, 2012
queensmith: Only backwards thinking leads to questions like these.

ofcourse,you alone cannot be wiser than a whole lot of ppl who av commentd on dis post..if u aint pleased with it,why didnt you just skip the thread instead of you coming to insult the intelligibity of the op and the sound reasoning ability of the well meaning contributors
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by Mynd44: 9:09pm On Oct 13, 2012
[quote author=abiL][/quote]
If you were my wife, I ain't telling you noting
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by abiL(f): 9:10pm On Oct 13, 2012
Mynd_44:
If you were my wife, I ain't telling you noting

If you were my husband...

Oh my bad! You will never be my husband tongue
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by Mynd44: 9:28pm On Oct 13, 2012
abiL:

If you were my husband...

Oh my bad! You will never be my husband tongue
Yeah the feeling us mutual. I belong to cindyrella
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by abiL(f): 9:33pm On Oct 13, 2012
Mynd_44:
Yeah the feeling us mutual. I belong to cindyrella

Lol good for you o
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by Mynd44: 9:42pm On Oct 13, 2012
abiL:

Lol good for you o
Thanks
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by tnktosin(m): 10:19pm On Oct 13, 2012
It shouldn't be a secret. My wife knows how much I earn, atleast 95%
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 13, 2012
@OP if you are talking about your wife here, she should not only know what you earn, she should also know at least 95% of everything about your and you know at least 95% of hers too. When you start having secret among yourself then you can fall apart easily because you can easily be penetrated. #myopinion
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by nusirat(m): 10:42pm On Oct 13, 2012
ik d pal!:
i doubt a man can sincerely disclose his real earnings because of the nature of a woman...man has multitude of issues to commit his money to which may not allow a kind of peace when a woman discover such expences, so a man violets this idea to ensure he meet up with this responsibilities.
I agree with you, bicos man has many to settle bicos it is not only Him that is entitle to his earning man has family who contribute one way or the other to his achievement when his growing up, woman just came in the middle of the show not the beginning of the show therefore, a responsible need only to be dedicated to his family which comprise both immediate and extended family.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by Akpan107(m): 10:47pm On Oct 13, 2012
cindyrella: Why not? You are team mates na!
i pray it shouldnt end here on NL but it should be praticalised.
Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Oct 13, 2012
It depends.
Ppl marry 4 diff reasons.
If ur wife is d flashy type dt must wear d latest designer cloth and perfume, plz dnt tell her, else u r finding her trouble.
Bt if she is d conservative type and is gainfully employed,knows how 2 manage money, plz do.
She will help u build d money.
Am nt married bt I keep my guys savings 4 him. Any money he wants 2 keep 4 future project, house rent etc, he just gives me 4 keeps. He is very extravagant and has so much empathy. He gives out anyhow and so can't save. I solved dt part of his problem.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Disclose Your Earnings To Your Wife? by seyibrown(f): 11:11pm On Oct 13, 2012
@ OP

Who else is it proper to disclose it to? Your neighbour or your family who live miles away? smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What To Say To Your Ex Girlfriend To Get Her Back - Use Words To Win Her Back / This Is The Longest Camel Toe You Have Ever Seen!!! / Help! Chima Slapped Me!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.