Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,156 members, 7,880,627 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 10:57 PM

Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (59076 Views)

Is It Wrong To Call The Name Of Jesus During Sex? / TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by SisiKill1: 1:14am On Oct 18, 2012
emalekuo: You are absolutely right, I asked a man of God and he said u must pay your tithe to the church you worship except God tells you to pay it else where. Tithe is different from helping the poor and also tithe is 10 percent and over if you wish to but helping has no minimum nor maximum.
You asked a man of God?

Okay, let me see if I understand this...You needed answers on whether paying tithes as it is preached by the self titled men of God these days is right but instead of doing your own research....you go ask who....a man of God.

I won't be wrong if I assumed you can read right? I also know for sure God in his infinite mercies has given all of us brains...so no assumptions there. And these days one can get a Bible for the price of two lacaseras, added to the fact you are here bragging about running to a man of God for answers, it is safe to assume you have unlimited access to the internet....with all these resources at your disposal, you chose to be spoonfed by a so called man of God??!!!

Honestly, my prayer will continue to be that God does not get angry at the people wasting his kind gesture of making us thinking beings and decide to take it away.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Rooneyboy(m): 1:17am On Oct 18, 2012
NO LONG TIN: If you are a Christian, then my reply would be - Stupid Question, but if you are not then i'll tell you that your tithe is for God only, you give it to the church to help it grow(Jesus said give to Caesar what is for Caesar, and to God what is God). Nobody said you shouldn't give to the poor, infact Jesus encourages us to do so, but always keep 10% of your earnings aside for God. some misguided people will say we shouldnt because pastors use it to get rich...... as long as u are being blessed in that church, pay your tithes there(remember its to God and not man).

as for me i'll strive to pay my tithes regularly, no matter what anybody says, you can hate while i enjoy my blessings.
Yes in as much as I agree with u that the church must grow, y must I give the church something called tithe for it to grow, what about my normal offerings , or is that one specifically meant for buying jets?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 1:25am On Oct 18, 2012
xremmy:
Why do people believe that its what they do that keeps them alive and well. We live by Gods grace always.

That same grace is what gave you the ability to make money, cos if God never gave you the chance to wake up the following day, you will have nothing and that same God says, bring 10% into my house and you think he is only joking? He is a God that knows what he is doing, and dont make mistakes with His sentences, so why do we argue it?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 1:28am On Oct 18, 2012
Rooneyboy:
Yes in as much as I agree with u that the church must grow, y must I give the church something called tithe for it to grow, what about my normal offerings , or is that one specifically meant for buying jets?

There is room for offering and room for tithes, you could chose to do what you want, based on your on laws and concept but not based on God's.
It is simple and easy to understand . . . bring it to my house, so He said, and again, if cos the pastor has a jet is your beef, leave that church and i am sure there is a pastor that has no jet and pay your tithe to them, if that is what tickles your fantasy. . .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 1:29am On Oct 18, 2012
collinsn007: @fhemmmy u r d true son of ur Father in heaven God bless u as u kep helpin d ministry n spreadin d word of d Most High God @joagbale n others helpin d ministry God's blessins n 4 those dat r deceivin themselves wit bible quotes n their personal thinkin God help u 2 change OBEDIENCE IS D FIRST LAW IN HEAVEN even lucifer disobeyd n fell where is he 2day? In d world manipulatin minds of sinners am a catholic bt i strongly support any1 who promotes d ministry of God d bible says he who builds his house on sand will be washd away n he who builds his house on d solid rock will stand strong n remember he who hv ears let him hear remember judgement is near REPENT

Amen and you too . . . God Bless!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 1:32am On Oct 18, 2012
Rooneyboy:

@ the bolded part.
U go further to buttress my point about ur insatiable quest for money.

Oh yes, i hate poverty and i dont want it be mentioned around it all, however, remember that God never told me to be poor, many poor people wont even make heaven . . . Lol, but jokes apart, nothing wrong in working hard to make it in life, afterall, the bible said a good man leaves inheritance for his children's children, so nothing wrong in being rich, money in the hands of a good man is a tool, but in the hands of bad people is terrible . . .
However, at the end of the day, mine is, i will pay my tithe and i will take from the rest to help the poor, cos God will stretch the remaining 90% for me to cover more.
Nothing wrong in obeying and leave the consequences for God to worry about
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by xremmy(m): 1:33am On Oct 18, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I said it, so no need to use the 3rd party language here . . . I spoke with my mother pretty much often and her first question has always been, Son, are you faithful in your tithing? so i am glad i have a mother that understand and appreciates it, i was never a blver of tithing till i tried it and God has been great . . . tithe is tithe and no 2 ways about it . . . .

Thanks for acknowledging

Can you now try and give without expecting anything in return, not because you will be blessed or because they have scared you that you will be cursed. Just give freely, from what your heart tells you to people that you know can never repay you in any way, probably anonymously.

You might wonder why I say this, this is when you start seeing the world through Gods eyes as he let's the sun shine and rain fall on both the wicked and the good. And Gods blessings start coming cos this is when you actually connect to the source of all creation.

Giving without being compelled is one of the cardinal rules of the universe which cuts acroos religions, races and sexes.

Blessings, prosperity and wealth. Shey they will bury them with us or our graves will be deeper than six foot so as to accommodate the goodies.

Touch lives, make dreams come tue, give hope and put smiles on peoples faces.

The Ten Commandments Reflect Christ’s Two Great Commands

In all of Torah, only ten commandments were written Ex 31:18 “with the finger of God.”

The first three teach us how to love God: “You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve,” “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain,” and “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.”

The remaining seven teach us how to love one another: “Honor your father and your mother,” “You shall not kill,” “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife,” and “You shall not covet your neighbor’s propert

And even some of these were re phrased by Jesus Christ.

He said, Mt 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ’You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’” The Hebrew Scriptures accepted hating the enemies of God. Ps 139:21 “Do I not hate them that hate Thee, O Lord? And do I not loathe them that rise up against Thee? I hate them with perfect hatred.” He changed Lv 19:18 “love your neighbor” to Mt 5:44 “Love your enemies,” expanding the range of our love from the neighborhood to the world. God loves all His covenant family; the most miserable refugee remains God’s image and likeness. Jesus told us, Mt 25:40 “As you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.” The “coveting” commandments, Ex 20:17 prohibiting near occasions of sin, prefigured our Lord’s raising several “love one another” commandments to new heights. The fifth commandment, Ex 20:13 “You shall not kill,” became, Mt 5:22 “Every one who is angry … shall be liable to judgment.” The sixth, Ex 20:14 “You shall not commit adultery,” became, Mt 5:28 “Every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” The eighth, Ex 20:16 “You shall not bear false witness,” became, Mt 5:34 “Do not swear at all … Let what you say be simply ’Yes’ or ’No.’”

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 1:35am On Oct 18, 2012
A-ZeD:

Did the widow in the temple give 10%?
Try explaining what this part of the bible means especially the bolded

2cor 9:7
Every man according to his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Ha ha ha ha . . . The widow never gave 10% but she gave ALL she has, so God is even being so nice, imagine if He tell you to give all, while you are still angry over 10% . . . Lol
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 1:37am On Oct 18, 2012
xremmy:

Thanks for acknowledging

Can you now try and give without expecting anything in return, not because you will be blessed or because they have scared you that you will be cursed. Just give freely, from what your heart tells you to people that you know can never repay you in any way, probably anonymously.

All that i give, i give without expecting anything back and here is my philosphy on giving to people or even lending . . . I will only give you what i can afford to give or lend, cos i dont expect it back . . . Mind you some of the good things i have enjoyed in life, i am so sure that it is cos of what my parents have given to other people somewhere along the line . . . besides, it is more kool to give than to take, if you have a need and i can afford to give you, i dont know you so for sure i will give and expect nothing back from you, God gives me life, and all i have.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 1:40am On Oct 18, 2012
xremmy:
You might wonder why I say this, this is when you start seeing the world through Gods eyes as he let's the sun shine and rain fall on both the wicked and the good. And Gods blessings start coming cos this is when you actually connect to the source of all creation.

Yes, that is true and that is why even on the last days, the bible said, God will tell many people to depart from Him, cos He never knew them, have those people done miracle in His names, have they fed people cos of their love for God or cos they wanna be noticed, yeah, but MOST have got their own rewards from here on earth . . . But again, still does not take away from the fact that Tithe is to God's house and the house of God now could use it to take care of the poor, which is what ought to be, but like i said, IT IS NOT MY BUSINESS TO WORRY ABOUT HOW THEY SPENDING THE MONEY.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 1:47am On Oct 18, 2012
Someone asked if i was a Pastor or working towards it: Not at all, not a pastor and dont even wanna be one, i have a professional career and i am a business man, but i ave always prayed to God to give me all it takes to hold up the hands of a good man of God and help the leaders in my life in my local chruch . , , a Pipe never runs dry.

Another said, he was surprised that i am on a thread that has nothing to do with money: Without this God that we are talking about, i am just an empty barrel.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by PHfinest(m): 2:01am On Oct 18, 2012
Whatever you do to the least of my brethrens, that you do unto me.

Since the New Testament, especially in 2012, It is ONLY through the poor that you can give anything to God!

Kapish....giving your tithe to a rich pastor with private jet, university that your kids cannot afford, bleached face and/or dyed hair is WRONG!

IF YOU FIND A PASTOR WHO DOES NOT RUN A BUSINESS, JUST AS THE LEVITES OF THE OLD TESTAMENT, THEN THAT COULD APPLY

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 2:08am On Oct 18, 2012
PHfinest: Whatever you do to the least of my brethrens, that you do unto me.

Since the New Testament, especially in 2012, It is ONLY through the poor that you can give anything to God!

Kapish....giving your tithe to a rich pastor with private jet, university that your kids cannot afford, bleached face and/or dyed hair is WRONG!

IF YOU FIND A PASTOR WHO DOES NOT RUN A BUSINESS, JUST AS THE LEVITES OF THE OLD TESTAMENT, THEN THAT COULD APPLY

Reading through most of this kinda comment, i now realize that many people are going to church and yet dont like that church .. . . You dont like how your pastor is living, be free to leave that church and go to another . . .
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by PHfinest(m): 2:21am On Oct 18, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Reading through most of this kinda comment, i now realize that many people are going to church and yet dont like that church .. . . You dont like how your pastor is living, be free to leave that church and go to another . . .

Fhemmy,

I worship God and not Church. If you see misuse of funds or lack of it,it is the best corrective action to take (or so I believe).
In PH, i pay my tithe to the poor, in UK, I pay my tithe to the Church, because the church here is dying.

read Proverbs 22:16

Also note: Tithe must not be 10% as in the old Testament, it is that which you can freely and happily give, from your time, energy and resources to 100% of your income...that is what the new Testament teaches

God has giving every man the ability to reason, search for Him and please Him.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Fhemmmy: 2:30am On Oct 18, 2012
PHfinest:
Fhemmy,

I worship God and not Church. If you see misuse of funds or lack of it,it is the best corrective action to take (or so I believe).
In PH, i pay my tithe to the poor, in UK, I pay my tithe to the Church, because the church here is dying.

read Proverbs 22:16

Also note: Tithe must not be 10% as in the old Testament, it is that which you can freely and happily give, from your time, energy and resources to 100% of your income...that is what the new Testament teaches

God has giving every man the ability to reason, search for Him and please Him.

Lol . . You means pastors in the western world only uses the money to take care of the poor and dont spend on themselves too?

Regardsless of where you are, Your tithe is your tithe . . . . Now lemme say this, i do understand and know that some pastors are not good stewards of the funds, but why do i wanna worry my head about that, come to think of it, would you say cos Jonathan has been spending taxpayers money in a way we dont agree with, then, you wont pay more taxes?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by PHfinest(m): 2:44am On Oct 18, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Lol . . You means pastors in the western world only uses the money to take care of the poor and dont spend on themselves too?

Regardsless of where you are, [color=#990000]Your tithe is your tithe
. . . . Now lemme say this, i do understand and know that some pastors are not good stewards of the funds, but why do i wanna worry my head about that, come to think of it, would you say cos Jonathan has been spending taxpayers money in a way we dont agree with, then, you wont pay more taxes?[/color]

- My tithe is the new testament tithe not compelling on a 10% figure but on a happy and cheerful giving to God
- The different between God's tithe and Jonathan's tax is that while the Nigerian law is still binding on me as a Nigerian, God's new covenant (not law) is perfected through love for Him and love for my neighbour
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by dgreatest1: 3:11am On Oct 18, 2012
Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches tithing is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations about making offerings to the Lord. Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were to give 10 percent of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle/Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent, not the 10 percent which is generally considered the tithe amount today. Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system. The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving. The New Testament talks about the importance and benefits of giving. We are to give as we are able. Sometimes that means giving more than 10 percent; sometimes that may mean giving less. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom in the matter of participating in tithing and/or how much to give (James 1:5). Above all, all tithes and offerings should be given with pure motives and an attitude of worship to God and service to the body of Christ. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by dgreatest1: 3:13am On Oct 18, 2012
Mcdondayan: Good day brothers and sisters in the lord. I have been pondering over this issue, and have asked some questions about it.
The bible tells us to give one tenth of our proceed to the lord and there are many promises attached to it. But if we look around us there are many poor people around us.
I have asked this same question to a clergy man and he said it is nt wrong because God is also in the poor. So i want to bring the same question to NL christains (not the brainwashed ones) who have proper reason to clear my doubt. IS IT WRONG TO GIVE OUR TITHE TO THE POOR?

Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches tithing is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations about making offerings to the Lord. Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were to give 10 percent of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle/Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent, not the 10 percent which is generally considered the tithe amount today. Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system. The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving. The New Testament talks about the importance and benefits of giving. We are to give as we are able. Sometimes that means giving more than 10 percent; sometimes that may mean giving less. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom in the matter of participating in tithing and/or how much to give (James 1:5). Above all, all tithes and offerings should be given with pure motives and an attitude of worship to God and service to the body of Christ. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 3:16am On Oct 18, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

Easy answer. If I give the poor my tithe, I have done my part. It is up to that person to use that money and help themeselves out. If they want to spend it lavishly they can go ahead, and if they want to invest with that money then they can do just that. I don't see why you are asking me, who will give them the next money like I am suppose to know. All I know is that I will give the needy my tithe if it comes down to it (Meaning all 10%, not 5% not 8% but 10). And that's because I actually have a heart that beats and a soul. Doesn't exactly mean I have to give my tithe to the church, I can pay my tithe by giving to the poor, which can actually be classified as doing God's work. Since I'm blessing the person with the money that God gave to me.
bros....there re some poor pple u give ur tithe to and they even despise u for it..why not kuku follow wat jesus told d man dat observed d commandment right frm his youth sell all ur belongins and give to d poor and come follow jesus..it is hard for a camel to pass tru d eye of a needle dan for a richman to enter d kingdom of God
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 3:38am On Oct 18, 2012
Fhemmmy: Someone asked if i was a Pastor or working towards it: Not at all, not a pastor and dont even wanna be one, i have a professional career and i am a business man, but i ave always prayed to God to give me all it takes to hold up the hands of a good man of God and help the leaders in my life in my local chruch . , , a Pipe never runs dry. bros...try d principle of givin God 90%.and holding 10%..jus lyk oda pple pointed out to u..we re in a new dipensation of grace..not d old legalistic convenants where laws re imposed on d isrealites...d Holy spirit is in d believer and He instructs d believer on how to give according as he has purposed in his hrt to give, for God loves a cheerful giver..i know of christians who sold lands and brought all d money to church in order for d word of God to spread...God deals with each believer accordin to his measure of faith..God owns d silver and Gold..money cannot advance the kingdom of God..the kingdom of God is ZOE...a Life force dat neither u nor i can fanthom.

Another said, he was surprised that i am on a thread that has nothing to do with money: Without this God that we are talking about, i am just an empty barrel.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by xremmy(m): 3:51am On Oct 18, 2012
These tithe givers keep rationalising on nothing.

The moment you see a needy person and your heart does not tell you to help because the money with you is for tithe, then you are not a christian.

"traditions of men" were actually what the Christ refused to obey - while He unfailingly obeyed God.

"And He was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath." "And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself. And when Jesus saw her, He called her to Him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity. And He laid His hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God."

"And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the Sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the Sabbath day."

"The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the Sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering? And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day?"

"And when He had said these things, all His adversaries were ashamed: and all the people rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by Him." (Luke 13:10-17 KJV)

My people, if you are a christian, follow Jesus Christ and not men of God. It is evil not to help the needy because of tithe promised to church so as to receive blessings.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Asiwaju9ja(m): 4:05am On Oct 18, 2012
This is y I like christianity, they have an inquisitive mind. Doctrines can be challenged until u find the right answers. They don't just swallow everything they hear. Back to d subject. Where is it written in the New Testament that we must tithe. Because according to my understanding, Jesus Christ abolished many practices of the old.e.g slaughtering of animals for sacrifice. Tithe no Follow?
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by odumdesmond: 6:27am On Oct 18, 2012
People stil misunderstand the concept and biblical principles of tithing. Tithe cannot be validly paid anywhere except in your church going by strict interpretation of Malachi 3:10 . It says bring your tithes and offerings to "my(God's) store house" I don't see anything else that can equate for store house today if not the church. Abraham in the bible first recording of tithing paid his tithe to Melchizedek the High priest of God. Tithe is not a charity donation, it is observance of scriptural injunction. You cannot use tith money for charity and claim you have fulfilled biblical injunction!!!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by Nobody: 6:43am On Oct 18, 2012
Who is d tithe meant for?

a. The Levite
b. God

Note: The levite is not a priest, he helps d priest in d temple.

Worshippers give their tithes to d levites.

But the levite also pays his tithe. It is d tithe of the levite dat is meant for God.

The tithe of God is to be given to the priest.

The levite's tithe is d only income wit the title of "tithe" dat shud be given to a priest. It is also recorded dat wat ought to be given to the priest are gifts.

From the foregoing u wud agree with me dat the priest is supose to get a 10th of de levite's tithe. Correct?

The problem in today's church setting is "who is a levite?"
Based on the functions being performed in the temple in dose biblical days, the pastors and catholic priests are d equivalent of priests. Who in present day church is d levite?

Personally I tink the pastor or priest is entitled to a 10th of my tithe. The rest can go to the needy. The needy may still be d pastor or any other person or group until such a time I am convinced who d equivalent of a levite is in present church setting.

U can check up all d analysis in deut and numbers. I wud encourage u to patiently read up d scripture to understand these tins.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by supereagle(m): 6:56am On Oct 18, 2012
Evil Brain: Giving to the poor is the only legitimate way to pay your tithe. Tithing in church has no basis in scripture. It's basically a scam being run by greedy pastors. They're colluding among themselves to conflate the old testament temple with the modern church organisation as if they're the same thing, which they clearly aren't.

Anyone who pays tithe to church should keep inn mind that his/her money is being used to pay for the pastor's ostentatious lifestyle. You might as well flush your money down the toilet for all the good it'll do anyone.
You do not have a sound knowledge of the Bible.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by benbrains(m): 7:01am On Oct 18, 2012
First, you really need to understand what a tithe is... A tithe is a one-tenth part of something...
In every 100% earning or income, there are always ten 'tithes', you can choose whom you want to give it to, but remember one of this ten is for God (His church), for your financial security(full stop)
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by supereagle(m): 7:06am On Oct 18, 2012
Mcdondayan: Good day brothers and sisters in the lord. I have been pondering over this issue, and have asked some questions about it.
The bible tells us to give one tenth of our proceed to the lord and there are many promises attached to it. But if we look around us there are many poor people around us.
I have asked this same question to a clergy man and he said it is nt wrong because God is also in the poor. So i want to bring the same question to NL christains (not the brainwashed ones) who have proper reason to clear my doubt. IS IT WRONG TO GIVE OUR TITHE TO THE POOR?
The tifhe should be given to the church(Mal 3 :10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.) The command is clear in the Bible (Prov3:9 Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase Vs10 So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
) You do not do charity with what is not your own.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by busybrain001(m): 7:09am On Oct 18, 2012
pak:

I've been in a similar situation. Don't challenge him, I'll advice you to schedule an appointment with him to explain your view point and your findings/conclusion.
That was exactly what I did in my own case. and the Pastor(we had a close relationship) also explained why he continued to preach the Tithe message. Though, I didn't fully agree but I understood his points (had to do with the level of spiritual maturity of his flock . . . .actually a topic for another day).

The issue is that, Tithing is not a Christian Practice. It was only obtainable in Judaism. If you doubt me, check through the new testament, if there was ever any verse advocating that Christians should Tithe. - None.

The only time Jesus talked about tithing was when he indicated that it was a less important issue in the Law (Judaism) - Matt 23v23.
I don't think we have any Jew here on Nairaland

Christians all through the new testament were only encouraged to give of their own freewill.

thanks for your reply.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by adieora(f): 7:29am On Oct 18, 2012
Malachi 3:8-11. Pls pay ur tithe to the church.If you have been giving your tithe to the poor,sorry to say u hvnt been paying your tithe.Although you hv been giving to the poor. I dnt know why paying tithe is an issue for Christians.It doesn't matter what your Pst is doing with the money.what is impt is that God knows you gave your tithe.I dnt know if you expect God to come down and collect the money physically.If the Pst is spending it on himself then that is btw him and God, your blessings will still come.
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by MSItachi: 7:30am On Oct 18, 2012
your tithe is not what you give based on feeling or sentiments, go read the bible properly and see how tithe is "paid". its a commandment and not based on how you feel or your opinion!
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by free2ryhme: 7:35am On Oct 18, 2012
y must we distort the truth even when it is there in the bible plain black and white ... you can give to the poor but your tithe is for God there is no negotiating dis. it is a command from God ...it is called a tithe becos it is for God not for the poor no matter how sentimental you paint it
Re: Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor by adieora(f): 7:37am On Oct 18, 2012
Sorry for all these Christians who like to discard the old testament when quoting the bible.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Goliath Skull Was Discovered in Holy Land! / Names Of Kidnapped RCCG Pastors: Chidioze Eluwa, Chiemela Iroha, Okoro Ohowukwe / Apostle Chibuzor Chinyere Gifts Ex-Prostitute House As Wedding Gift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.