Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,550 members, 7,914,440 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 05:20 AM

I’ll Abide By Nigerians’ Decision On Constitution Review – Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ll Abide By Nigerians’ Decision On Constitution Review – Jonathan (590 Views)

Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate / Reps. Set For Nationwide Grassroot Hearing On Constitution Review / Constitution Review: I'll Abide By What Nigerians Want - Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I’ll Abide By Nigerians’ Decision On Constitution Review – Jonathan by Itohen: 6:27am On Oct 17, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan has said he will abide by Nigerians’ decision on the review of the constitution.

Jonathan said he would not alter their decision if they chose to amend any portion of the constitution through popular method.

The President spoke on Tuesday at an event organised to mark the 80th birthday of a former Vice-President, Dr. Alex Ekwueme, in Abuja.

Jonathan, who was represented by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Pius Anyim, however, called on Nigerians not live with one another with distrust.

He said, “The President has no intention to overturn the decision of Nigerians on constitution review; he will abide by their decision.

“The President will however want Nigerians to live together with trust because distrust will not lead us anywhere.

“What will strengthen the federation called Nigeria is to have hope in our nation and be patriotic, which is the tonic that drives any nation.”

Meanwhile, eminent Nigerians on the occasion disagreed on the aspect of the constitution to be reviewed, especially whether there was need to have the six-geo political zones.

While some insisted that there was need to have it in the constitution, others disagreed.

Ekwueme was the proponent of the six geo-political zones at the 1995 National Constitutional Conference, where he was a delegate.

The Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), set the tone for the discussion, when he asked how the geo-political zones would be funded if it was enshrined into the constitution.

He also wanted to know if that would not mean a gradual return to regional government or even result in the dismemberment of the nation.

Rather than blame the constitution, the governor said its operators should be held responsible for its bad implementation, adding that there was nothing wrong with agreements but those who made the agreements.

The Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi, said since the agreement (constitution) was faulty, it should be rectified.

The agreement, he said, must favour all, adding that there was no way all the parties would be when the agreement did not favour them.

He said there was no way some zones would have between seven and six states whereas one would have five states and there would be justice.

However, the Governor Rabiu Kwankwanso of Kano State, who was represented by his deputy, Alhaji Abdullahi Umar, said political zones should be scrapped.

He said there was no need for it, insisting that those asking for it did not take the issue of land mass and population into consideration.

http://www.punchng.com/news/ill-abide-by-nigerians-decision-on-constitution-review-jonathan/
Re: I’ll Abide By Nigerians’ Decision On Constitution Review – Jonathan by Neversaydie: 12:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
It pays a lot to be a listening leader.... Good one GEJ
Re: I’ll Abide By Nigerians’ Decision On Constitution Review – Jonathan by Joeadamu86: 12:19pm On Oct 17, 2012
Neversaydie: It pays a lot to be a listening leader.... Good one GEJ
And sincerely GEJ is a wonderful example of a listening leader lets give that to him,we have never had leader that abides by the laws of the land like GEJ.

(1) (Reply)

Police Raids Uba’s House, Cart Away Documents, 3 Posh Cars / Breaking News / My Take On Boko Haram Dialogue And The Terms And Conditions, Pls Read

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.