Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,804 members, 7,972,876 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 09:15 PM

Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway (8803 Views)

Activists Arrested During Okada-Riders Protest / PHOTOS- Okada Riders Protest In Lagos / Okada-Riders’ Protest New Lagos Traffic-Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by gidiMonsta(m): 5:02pm On Oct 17, 2012
femmy2010: Heard there are Okadas plying the highways of london and New york etc. Why not Lagos?they are even allowed to carry up to 4 passengers in Berlin.
Okada must not be banned off our major highways.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

STFU!!! Oga why u dey lie na?
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by Harpesin(m): 5:05pm On Oct 17, 2012
I think there is need to check the police in Ojo area generally including those mopo attached to LASTMA. They've turned the task to an avenue of generating revenue to their own pocket, any Okada that can not offer 5k should forget his bike, have witnessed this several times at Iyanaba, Ojo Police station will do their own raiding, 30mins later PPL Police station will follow, Okokomaiko and Ishashi will strike thereafter....all in Ojo land.....The actual time for Okada to close from work is 8pm but Ojo Police will be out by 6pm arresting them, same in the morin time. BRF should see the implication of this law against Okada, there are some places buses dont ply e.g. Afro Media, Ada loko, you hardly get vehicle applying this road from Okoko due to bad road once its 6pm Okada can not ply same route cos Police must have been there raiding them, now ao will someone working on the island close by 5pm get to Okoko beofre 6pm....? Also the number of armed robbery are getting increased in Ojo area or what do u think of a man who lost his job and used his entitlement buy Okada to earn a living just to discover that a man like him demanded for 5k or forgo the okada, such man has wife, children and other responsibilities to attend to....Oko efo (LASU IGANDO AXIS) will surely judge d case.....Ao Lagos State govt should check the percentage of employment created by Okada and witot such what will become of youth......The implication will hardly be on those law makers cos 90% of them don't go out like masses and if at all they want to, they go out with securities n siren to clear road for them....Many people had lost their job cos they got late to the office and not that they did not leave home on time, but the long traffic from Volks to Barracks every morin due to bad road is the cause...BRF should try and visit badagry roads especially from Okoko to Badagry and see ao good is the road....Though CCECC had started working on the new lanes but that should not stop govt to provide immediate repair (temporary) to badagry expressway for the safety of the citizen.

2 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by ba7man(m): 5:08pm On Oct 17, 2012
Sadly, this is the price of progress, people get left behind. At least it will stop the trailer load of Hausa youths that troop into lagos daily and those weird village men that love drinkin spirits. Let them return home. If various State Governments can set-up large scale farms,these people will make willing hands to work them.

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by regime: 5:11pm On Oct 17, 2012
Dialog is needed here
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by takedat(m): 5:11pm On Oct 17, 2012
packman:

[size=20pt]MY BRODA ABEG I THOUGHT IT WAS ONLY ME OOOOOOOO NIGERIA TRY TO BE CIVILIZE BUT NO MATA HOW HARD THEY TRY THEY ONLY SHOWING THE WORLD OW MUCH THEIR LACKING BHIND

I JUST PITY FASHOLA COS VERY SOON THE SO CALLED OKADA RIDERS WOULD HEAD INTO THE STREET WITH THEIR DOUBLE BarreLs then HE WOULD UNDERSTAND THE REASON WHY THEY SHOULD BE ALTERNATIVE [/size]
Mugun so because of the ban placed on Okada, they would head into the street with double barrels. So what should the unemployed millions who are not Okada riders do? Mind you Okada business have been taken over by guys from Niger and Chad.
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by seunfly: 5:12pm On Oct 17, 2012
packman:

HOW MANY HAVE YOU OFFERED EMPLOYMENT AND THEY REFUSED PLEASE DONT JUST TALK OUT OF CONVENIENCE
BECOS YOU ARE ABLE TO AFORD OR RADA GIVEN YOUR THREE SQUARE MEAL, TINK MORE THAN THAT AND YOU WOULD KNW HOW MUCH THIS PPLE SUFFER.... angry angry angry

must i offer them job for them to be able to live normal live?

All am saying is that we have a i am living in city mentality without any inpact.

I know that half of this peaple came from places that they can be appreciated interm of farming, local industries and craft. Imagine somebody that come from benue to do okada in lagos, he can use the okada to money to set up garri proccessing factory, a man from ogun state can do the same, a man from eboyin can do rice a man from osun can do craft etc.
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by vislabraye(m): 5:13pm On Oct 17, 2012
When our leaders make policies, they don't sit down to analyze the pros and cons. In every society, there would always be the poor and less privileged.
Most of us here are educated and therefore have access to good jobs. But not everyone has that opportunity so they have to take up menial jobs like Okada riding.
Banning Okada would do a lot of harm than good. When the govt has failed to provide a source of living, how do you want others to live?

1 Like

Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by aribisala0(m): 5:17pm On Oct 17, 2012
Banning Okada is the way to go there are too many of them in Lagos and they are a huge security risk.Most likely they are not Nigerian often speaking some strange languages Many of them cannot speak Yoruba so how do we communicate with them.
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by byteem: 5:32pm On Oct 17, 2012
The law is designed for the people and not the people for the law.the Lagos state government has a habit of making laws that are more punitive than corrective...”Burn the baby because he is dirty"... It’s so easy to punish okada riders and strip them of their livelihood or force a pensioner whose car overheats by the road to pay 50,000 to lastma after his car is towed.. In the name of laws..What laws? Must the common man be made to suffer for the failure of the electorate..

. The govt has failed to provide jobs..Make loans accessible to smes or create affordable housing.. The alternative they provide is to employ lagosians to sweep grounds and pay 10k a month or employ graduates as contract and casual staff in Alausa.. Agreed the okadas are a menace.. But we cannot be oblivious of the fact that this same okadas help feed many lagosians who would otherwise be hungry and impoverished.. A regular okada man makes over n3000 a day.. On a very bad day.. Thats more than an average civil servant makes in Alausa. Many of them feed their families and send their children to school on this same okada stuff.. Like every other field you have the defaulters..Yes some commit crimes with it and some disobey traffic laws, but so do bus drivers and car owners.. So why can’t the state device a system that works for everyone. Putting into consideration the fact that peoples livelihoods are at stake..... What’s the alternative?..
What ideas have been put in place to give a soft landing to the citizenry especially the law abiding okada rider who has nothing else to do ? Why cant lagos state borrow ideas from akwa ibom state or imo sate that created alternatives.. Why cant lagos state device ideas unique to its environment.. Must the common man be made to suffer for the brain drain of politicians, law makers or their overzealous heads of ministries..if the state lacks ideas then let it call for professional help and pay consultants whose job it is to formulate workable ideas (go ask pat utomi of lbs )..

Police men now seize and harass every bike they find on every turn restriction or not..Extorting money from the ones they can.. Lastma now works with the same touts..That fashola could not get off the road.. If the government must demand obedience from its citizenry then it must be seen to have played its part in being responsible.. Not when the idea of responsibility is building toll gates that cause the same traffic that the road was designed to prevent.(Sometimes you can be in traffic for over an hour just to pay toll fee ) or planting trees along the roads and awarding ridiculous contracts for horticulture .. Or awarding road contracts that never gets finished...or BRT bus schemes that charge fares more than the regular buses on the same route..Or enacting tenancy laws that remain unenforceable in specified areas. Truth be told.. The fashola administration is an elitist one.. But even though lagosians are tired of ACN and its madness.. What’s the alternative...the devil and the deep blue sea..Definitely not PDP..

3 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by aribisala0(m): 5:38pm On Oct 17, 2012
It is NOT the job of Lago to provide jobs for ALL Nigerians please go back to whereever you came from we want only productive value addinng people NOT Okada riders
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by redsun(m): 5:44pm On Oct 17, 2012
Banning okada will be quite a drastic action that will negatively affect lagos activities and economy.Though crazy,but they play a very vital role in keeping lagos moving.Instead of banning them,they should be sanitized,controlled,monitored and taxed,so that they will give descently back to the society,while the gives to them.

It could be tinubu's moves to monopolize public transport in lagos like oyinbos,so that his BTR scheme or whatever wont have any competitions.Soon danfos and molues will be scrapped to be replaced by one or two giant public transport companies own by him and his cohorts.That is the way to go,to have an organized and controlled economy,the big brother economy where people dont have much choices.
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by Harpesin(m): 5:52pm On Oct 17, 2012
In addition to my previous, BRF should made same kind of law for those who commit crime in the office and govt houses....Most of the havoc on the road are caused by Danfo drivers and once LASTMA tow them, they charge them particular amount and let them go aftermath why not same thing to Okadas, to purchase one Okada now is over hundred thousand naira. I witnessed one around Ojo barracks where new Okada was collected from a young boy who was unable to settle dem with 5k as demanded and the bike was taken to Alausa which he was unable to recover it due to new law....Tell me what Govt had put in place for this young man to start with all over again, he manage to help the government by doing something on his own to contribute to the progress of the state directly or indirectly but later end up having nothing to earn him a good living....Am sure he who raised money to purchase a bike for commercial purpose has a good intention for himsef and for the state, he did not want to become a burden / terrorist to the state that was why he struggled to get himself busy. Let someone tell me here what should to those Police/Army Officer using their own bike for commercial purpose late in the night and on the restricted area? Now i can see democracy in Nigeria as the government of the rich for the rich and by the rich at the expense of the poor.......How poor Masses are surviving are unconcerned to our govt, they build market with our tax and sold it for their wives / relation, they have increase NEPA bill 300% and we are still not complaining, Fuel are not available as they promised, no security, no loan as they promised, the little we kept in the bank are bn lend to the rich, they keep disturbing our women in their local shop to pay TRADE PERMIT as if they are the one that open trade for dem, TENANMENT RATE, TV/RADIO charges, Antenna, etc...and you can never see a single development in the community......WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU ENJOYING FROM THE GOVT.?....

3 Likes

Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 17, 2012
More petty robbery in Lagos
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by kingingkinging: 6:19pm On Oct 17, 2012
omoeso: Yes, some of you are damn right. Fashola should provide employment for over 200 thousand okada riders presently plying our roads, then next year when another 200k arrives from east and abokiland, den he should surely provide another set of jobs for them too. Then in 2014 when another 300k enter lagos as a governor dat has a company dat manufacture jobs, jobs should be provided for those ones too. Didirin. Ppl, how many jobs has the president of the country been able to create since d last 2yrs? And there u are expecting a governor to manufacture jobs for millions trooping down in their millions daily! E ma pe nbe!

Thank you my brother. Some people just observe things from one argue, a practical evidence of their level of reasoning. If we really want to have a good country, State and local govt, some drastic steps must be taken. Must everybody live in Lagos? People living in other States too will be complaing about Lagos governance,PDP people known for poor idea, intruders from North and East will be complaining about street hawking, road side selling and and okada riding.
How many of the people are Lagosians? Must Fashola/Lagos bear the burden of Nigeria poor governance? Must irresponsibility and lack of vision of the president and other state and tribe leaders be born by current Lagos exco?
Fashola is doing his best, the only Nigeria gov I respect sincerely. Besides okada is not banned in Lagos but restricted. Dont cross bridge; dont ply express; close before 10 o'clock-simple.
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by Digriz(m): 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
It won't solve the problem of the conjested city, let there be another alternative to the transportation problem. To start with there should be a good road network for cabs and modern rail network. For this to work,a lot of work needs to be done as regards building plan coz a lot of buildings and properties wl be affected.
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 17, 2012
afam4eva: Did you take pictures?

but nokia 3310 dont have camera na
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by davisman(m): 6:47pm On Oct 17, 2012
To ban okada in lagos, to me, is not a wise decision any lagos governor should take. at least not at the current level of unemployment in our country. And lagos is densely populated.
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by snellsun(m): 7:39pm On Oct 17, 2012
Mauyiwa: I think dis man called Fashole is a wicked fellow. how does the stping/Banning of Ocadas from the Lagos roads help the issue on ground if not worsen/ cause crime all over the state. I think someting shold be done to the laws dis man is taking at hand if not he should be impeachead cos I cant really tell the benefits we have really gained 4rm his renure in office as the state Governor... ... ;

do u no dat most of these okada rider especially does 4rm d north are farmers? dey left their farming 2 ride okada in lagos. now they will go back there farms
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by NnamdiN: 8:16pm On Oct 17, 2012
aribisala0: Fashola should provide no alternatives. Certainly the origins and identity of many of these people is suspect. We don't know if they are even Nigerian. Must every unemployed Nigerian come to ride Okada in Lagos. Is that the only job in the country? Let them go to Uyo PLEASE!!!
why uyo This place has been very peaceful o, no carry that your redirection come this side abeg. Make them go Somalia or Sudan
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 17, 2012
Harpesin: In addition to my previous, BRF should made same kind of law for those who commit crime in the office and govt houses....Most of the havoc on the road are caused by Danfo drivers and once LASTMA tow them, they charge them particular amount and let them go aftermath why not same thing to Okadas, to purchase one Okada now is over hundred thousand naira. I witnessed one around Ojo barracks where new Okada was collected from a young boy who was unable to settle dem with 5k as demanded and the bike was taken to Alausa which he was unable to recover it due to new law....Tell me what Govt had put in place for this young man to start with all over again, he manage to help the government by doing something on his own to contribute to the progress of the state directly or indirectly but later end up having nothing to earn him a good living....Am sure he who raised money to purchase a bike for commercial purpose has a good intention for himsef and for the state, he did not want to become a burden / terrorist to the state that was why he struggled to get himself busy. Let someone tell me here what should to those Police/Army Officer using their own bike for commercial purpose late in the night and on the restricted area? Now i can see democracy in Nigeria as the government of the rich for the rich and by the rich at the expense of the poor.......How poor Masses are surviving are unconcerned to our govt, they build market with our tax and sold it for their wives / relation, they have increase NEPA bill 300% and we are still not complaining, Fuel are not available as they promised, no security, no loan as they promised, the little we kept in the bank are bn lend to the rich, they keep disturbing our women in their local shop to pay TRADE PERMIT as if they are the one that open trade for dem, TENANMENT RATE, TV/RADIO charges, Antenna, etc...and you can never see a single development in the community......WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU ENJOYING FROM THE GOVT.?....
you have right ask the question!
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by aribisala0(m): 8:31pm On Oct 17, 2012
NnamdiN: why uyo This place has been very peaceful o, no carry that your redirection come this side abeg. Make them go Somalia or Sudan

My guy that is where Okada started. Akauke
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by Edoblakky(m): 8:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
When Amaechi of Rivers state banned okada from operating in Port Harcourt in 2009, Many including me thought it was not going to work, it will lead to increased crimes and there may be anarchy. But today, Port Harcourt is benefitting from it and the okada ridders have relocated to their respective states or wherever they were welcomed.
In Lagos, I've had okada ridders scratch my car severally, I've seen some of them rob people in traffic, they are very unruly and disrespectful and ready to fight at any slight opportunity.
Fashola banning okada from operating in Lagos should have happened a long time ago. Many of them are not even from Nigeria while many others are not even Lagosians.
I've had two different abokis work for me and resigned to buy okadas.
I'm not saying that non Lagosians shouldn't work in Lagos but that Lagos shouldn't become a den where crimes and evil are perpetuated because of non Lagosians or non Nigerians.
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 17, 2012
The emergence of Okada on our road is as a result of collapse and failure of our transport system! Everybody knows the risk involve ridding okada but what would you do when the road are bads and the traffic are just unbearable! Iyana to Mile is a good case! I always bike anytime I have a cause to go through that road!

What govt should have done is to put a system in place that will address the road challenges first thereafter... The choice for okada will die naturally like the Molue on our road.

Meanwhile... The okada riders have taken the Lagos state govt to court on the issue.
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 17, 2012
Okada riders sue Lagos state government over new traffic law

Commercial motorcyclists, popularly known as Okada riders on Monday dragged the Lagos State Government to court over its new Road Traffic Law, part of which restricts their operations on major highways across the state.

The okada riders under the aegis of All Nigerians Autobike Commercial Owners and Workers Association, is seeking an order of court restraining the state government from prohibiting them from operating on the major highways listed in Items 1-11 and other parts of Schedule II of the New Traffic Law.

In the suit No ID/713M/2012 filed through their lawyer, Bamidele Aturu, the claimant is also asking the court to restrain the Lagos state government from molesting, harassing, arresting, seizing their motorcycles or subjecting them to any treatment not suffered by any other road users.

Joined in the suit alongside the Lagos State Government are the state Attorney-General and Lagos State House of Assembly.

The claimants also asked the court to declare that the New Traffic Law constitutes an unjustifiable violation of the right to freedom of movement of the Claimants and their members guaranteed by section 41(1) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 as amended.

They also asked the court to declare that the new Law constitutes a violation of the defendants’ means of livelihood as well as adequate opportunity to secure suitable employment for them as provided for in Section 17(3) (a) of the Constitution.

The okada riders asked the court to declare that the major highways listed in Items 1-11 and other parts of Schedule II of the New Traffic Law in which okada operations are restricted are Federal Trunk or Highway Roads within the meaning of the Federal Highways Act, cap F13, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

They also asked the court for a declaration that the defendants have no power whatsoever to make any law to regulate traffic on any of the Federal Trunk or Highway Roads listed in Schedule II to the Lagos State Road Traffic Law, No 4 of 2012 and in the Federal Highways Act, cap F13, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

In addition they sought a declaration that the provisions of that section 3(1) of the Lagos State Road Traffic Law, No 4 of 2012 to the extent that it prohibits the riding, driving or propelling of a cart, wheel barrow, motorcycle or tricycle on the Major Highways in Lagos listed in Items 1-11 and other parts of Schedule II is in fundamental conflict with section 4(3) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 as amended and is therefore ultra vires, illegal, unlawful, unconstitutional, null, void, oppressive, inoperative and of no effect whatsoever.

The claimants further asked the court to order directing the defendants to immediately release all motorcycles belonging to them and their members seized by and in the custody of the Defendants and their agents and or officers.
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by kcjazz(m): 8:52pm On Oct 17, 2012
How many people has okada killed compared to motor in this country? Would be an interesting stat
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by lakesider(m): 9:08pm On Oct 17, 2012
i dont know y people dont analyze issue well.many state have ban okada already. how come its wickedness when its come to lagos.okada there ar many meaningful things this men can do aside okada
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by senator2k9(m): 9:35pm On Oct 17, 2012
Mauyiwa: I think dis man called Fashole is a wicked fellow. how does the stping/Banning of Ocadas from the Lagos roads help the issue on ground if not worsen/ cause crime all over the state. I think someting shold be done to the laws dis man is taking at hand if not he should be impeachead cos I cant really tell the benefits we have really gained 4rm his renure in office as the state Governor...... ;
SMH...no governor is named "FÀSHÓLE"
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by 3kay945(m): 9:51pm On Oct 17, 2012
senator2k9: SMH...no governor is named "FÀSHÓLE"
grin grin
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by dabrake(m): 10:33pm On Oct 17, 2012
So those aboki formula1-styled okada riders will finally leave gidi.
Dem go dey practice 'need for speed' for naija road. I wonder why those aboki guys no go olympics.
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by dabrake(m): 10:36pm On Oct 17, 2012
aribisala0:

oboy, you dey mad. grin grin grin
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by onyekabe(m): 6:11am On Oct 18, 2012
take dat: Are you joking? He should be impeached cos he put a stop to that menace called Okada? If you had ever visited Igbobi or those trado- orthopaedic homes you would know the harm associated with Okada. Like @Seunfly stated those with learned handiwork should return to it and the jobless remaining should go their villages to farm
Go to village that there no enough land to cultivate. On we rather remain here and start kindnapping people like you to make a living
Re: Okada Riders Protest At Iyanoba Badagry Expressway by NnamdiN: 6:46am On Oct 18, 2012
aribisala0:

they've long moved on. No more okadas here.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Roads Are No Longer Death Traps - SURE-P / <<<<<<official Thread Of Kano State Govt Dev. Projects>>>>>> / The True Story On PDP Deji Adeyanju And APC Segun Dada Bust Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.