Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,918 members, 7,935,919 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 06:54 PM

Petrochemical, Gas Engineerung, As A Career, What Do You Know About It? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Petrochemical, Gas Engineerung, As A Career, What Do You Know About It? (1402 Views)

How Lucrative Is Pharmacy As A Career? / Job Vs Career: What's The Difference And Which Do You Have? / We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Petrochemical, Gas Engineerung, As A Career, What Do You Know About It? by veravin24: 9:41am On Jan 24, 2008
i'am considering studing either petrolchemical or gas enginering, especially gas engineering, as gas engineer what are your jobs, which company will you work?
Re: Petrochemical, Gas Engineerung, As A Career, What Do You Know About It? by ZINGI: 3:28pm On Feb 07, 2008
i'am considering studing either petrolchemical or gas enginering, especially gas engineering, as gas engineer what are your jobs, which company will you work?

i'm a gas engineeer, i studied msc. gas engineering in the uk and im currently in nija. u have 2 options as a gas engineer. 1. upstream operations 2. downstream operations. my course focussed on the downstream sector, which comprises of transmission, distribution and utilisation of gas.

b4 i chose d gas engineering course, i didn't bother whether it was up or downstream, until i started b4 i discovered it was downstream; i really preferred d upstream sector. so i'll advise u to ensure u do ur investigations b4 making a choice, that's not to say there's anythin wrong wit d downstream sector, i just prefer d upstream part.

u can work in any oil and gas coy. d only issue is dat in nija u have to go thru d normal tests, especially if u dont have any experience, like me. personally, i'll advise u to get some work experience if u can b4 ur course (that is if u are going 4 a masters course, if u are plannin to study a bsc, then gas engineering is also a very good choice to start with). as i said earlier u can work in any oil and gas coy, most especially d downstream ones like gaslink, falcon gas etc. d only issue for now is that nigerias downstraem sector is not developed at all, therefore opportunities for now in d sector are still growing and still limited, pending when d government decides to produce a gas masterplan.
Re: Petrochemical, Gas Engineerung, As A Career, What Do You Know About It? by Demoore(m): 2:18pm On Feb 08, 2008
@ ZINGI
Thanks for the useful info. Please could you go a step further by giving names of some schools in UK that offer Msc Gas Engineering and other related courses.
Thanks.
Re: Petrochemical, Gas Engineerung, As A Career, What Do You Know About It? by DisGuy: 1:32am On Feb 09, 2008
Re: Petrochemical, Gas Engineerung, As A Career, What Do You Know About It? by Nobody: 11:25am On Feb 09, 2008
i was given a msc offer in gas emgineering and management at the university of salford,manchester.but i later discovered after making serious enqquiry bout the course that it focused mainly on the downstream sector unlike the oil and gas at the RGU which focused on the upstream.the upstrem pays well and job opportunities abounds.and oil companies dont come to recruit the graduates of the course in salford unlike the petroleum engineering program at herriot watt scotland where a friend got a job offer from sclumberger just after 9months into the program.
the program at rgu is oversubscribed. with nigerians taking more than sixty percent of the students. herriot watt is still the best in UK
Re: Petrochemical, Gas Engineerung, As A Career, What Do You Know About It? by DisGuy: 4:12am On Feb 10, 2008
Yup, considering england dont really have any crude oil they rarely have university offering courses in that sector

So if you are looking to study any oil and gas related course in the UK, Scotland is your best option

now I know why zingi,prefers the upstream sector- money
Re: Petrochemical, Gas Engineerung, As A Career, What Do You Know About It? by veravin24: 1:26pm On Feb 14, 2008
Zingi, pls could you explain more on upstream, which you said you prefered

(1) (Reply)

Does Anybody Know Any Recruitment Agencies In Ibadan? / UNILEVER Or INSIGHT COMM: Which Pays More? / Professional It Certification In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.