Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,161 members, 7,949,994 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 05:33 AM

Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? (9393 Views)

Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? / Celebrating An Icon - Happy Birthday To Pastor Chris Oyakhilome / Prosperity Bath Spell, Money Ritual (harmless) Step By Step Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by 2sign: 7:33am On Oct 21, 2012
it is demonic.
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Ijebulogic(m): 8:28am On Oct 21, 2012
I've never been one to dictate to parents how to raise their kids but in our household, we keep things simple: we avoid any products, celebrations, movies, books that are based on evil actvities. For example - No Halloween, No Harry Potter, No Horror movies, No Africa Magic/Nollywood movies with "Jazzy" themes. I was much younger when i realised that evil things are often "packaged" as harmless or even beautiful. The "forbidden fruit" is always beautiful and appealing (not rotten and full of worms). I was a car freak as a teenager and recall how obsessed i was with the beautiful Lambourghini Diablo...until i realised Diablo was "DEVIL" in spanish. From that point on i decided not to take anything on face value. But hey, thats me... and my kids dont suffer from peer pressure issues. Every one should be free to decide how to raise their kids (as long as it isnt illegal).

1 Like

Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 21, 2012
Ijebulogic: I've never been one to dictate to parents how to raise their kids but in our household, we keep things simple: we avoid any products, celebrations, movies, books that are based on evil actvities. For example - No Halloween, No Harry Potter, No Horror movies, No Africa Magic/Nollywood movies with "Jazzy" themes. I was much younger when i realised that evil things are often "packaged" as harmless or even beautiful. The "forbidden fruit" is always beautiful and appealing (not rotten and full of worms). I was a car freak as a teenager and recall how obsessed i was with the beautiful Lambourghini Diablo...until i realised Diablo was "DEVIL" in spanish. From that point on i decided not to take anything on face value. But hey, thats me... and my kids dont suffer from peer pressure issues. Every one should be free to decide how to raise their kids (as long as it isnt illegal).

Its not illegal to brainwash your kids!

What is the difference between Harry Potter and the Bible

Magical creatures? Check

Witches? Check

Spirits? Check!
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by vascey(m): 9:54am On Oct 21, 2012
inurmind:

Poor kids. You can as well ban them from watching disney and nick and all the other kid channels since people say they are controlled by illuminatti.
Not even Dora the explorer is suitable.
Also ban them from celebrating christmas on the 25th of december since it also has pagan origins.
Then u can ban them from going to school because u never know who's who.
Please realise that inorder to raise healthy and happy children you should allow them go through the wonderful experiences that other kids go through. What memories would they be able to share with others and even your grand kids except ''Momma banned me from doing it. Never understood why.''

I mean, what harm has trick or treaty done to your kids apart from making them happy?

In fact you took the words right outta my mouth. Well said!
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by vascey(m): 10:04am On Oct 21, 2012
Omo Alata:

LOL. He's so happy no be small. The poor man. I insist that he must enter our house at the stroke of midnight bringing in good luck with him. This longsuffering man will come in holding charcoal and bread like a lunatic grin grin grin

Madam take am easy dey "insist" o. Make the guy for no change am for you one day. I know nobody can insist sh.it in my house. If we don't agree, it's out the door.

But what do I know? I hear this marriage matter pass "common sense".
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 21, 2012
Omo Alata:

Blimey shocked shocked I was born in the UK and never heard such grammar before grin grin

cheesy cheesy

Seriously, when in rome; do what d romans do however If you fell your kids shouldn't act like there friends; well!, knock yourself out
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by philips70(m): 10:25am On Oct 21, 2012
Yu have it
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Curiouscity(m): 4:19pm On Oct 21, 2012
Nigerians amaze me every time. We are here recommending/condemning someones culture even when it is clear what it stands for.
Most of us who finds nothing wrong in children carrying Halloween costumes will not even allow their kids to go out
and watch any African/Nigerian masquerade. Attempts to even carry the masquerade will be punish in church and family alike.

Hmmm, why most things done in foreign land generate more interest that ours? What is the difference between this scary outfits and
our own masquerades which the white man demonized?

2 Likes

Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by OmoAlata(f): 4:42pm On Oct 21, 2012
vascey:

Madam take am easy dey "insist" o. Make the guy for no change am for you one day. I know nobody can insist sh.it in my house. If we don't agree, it's out the door.

But what do I know? I hear this marriage matter pass "common sense".

That's why I'm married to a Ghanaian. They are not aggressive tongue
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by OmoAlata(f): 4:43pm On Oct 21, 2012
Silkmoth33:

cheesy cheesy

Seriously, when in rome; do what d romans do however If you fell your kids shouldn't act like there friends; well!, knock yourself out

Most of my kids friends are out until way past 10p.m. No bladdie way am I leaving my kids out that late shocked
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by OmoAlata(f): 4:45pm On Oct 21, 2012
Logicboy03:

See this Omo Ajegunle claiming born in the UK. grin grin grin

Blimey ni, Innit ko

And when I said I was born in the UK, the heavens suddenly opened and poured me down some pounds. KMT grin
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 21, 2012
Omo Alata:

And when I said I was born in the UK, the heavens suddenly opened and poured me down some pounds. KMT grin

grin grin grin
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 21, 2012
Curious_city: Nigerians amaze me every time. We are here recommending/condemning someones culture even when it is clear what it stands for.
Most of us who finds nothing wrong in children carrying Halloween costumes will not even allow their kids to go out
and watch any African/Nigerian masquerade. Attempts to even carry the masquerade will be punish in church and family alike.

Hmmm, why most things done in foreign land generate more interest that ours? What is the difference between this scary outfits and
our own masquerades which the white man demonized?

Gbam! case closed. If i could triple like your post i would.
The problem this thread exposes again is the issue of inferiority complex. We travel abroad and want to embrace every single piece of the culture regardless of how it conflicts with our own personal principles. Many here defending their child's right to wear ridiculous constumes and go across graveyards begging for candy would not let their children anywhere the egungun festival in the name of it being occultic or beneath them.

2 Likes

Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 21, 2012
davidylan:

Gbam! case closed. If i could triple like your post i would.
The problem this thread exposes again is the issue of inferiority complex. We travel abroad and want to embrace every single piece of the culture regardless of how it conflicts with our own personal principles. Many here defending their child's right to wear ridiculous constumes and go across graveyards begging for candy would not let their children anywhere the egungun festival in the name of it being occultic or beneath them.

Thank you! however, this hypocrisy applies to only theists and the religious.

I dont believe in the devil and so, I can partake in any festival as long as no one is hurt -physically
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Oct 21, 2012
Logicboy03:

I dont believe in the devil and so, I can partake in any festival as long as no one is hurt -physically

Would you allow your kids to participate in egungun festivals in nigeria?
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by ijawkid(m): 6:28pm On Oct 21, 2012
davidylan:

I believe logic boy might allow his kids play and get whoped by egunguns........

Since he is an atheist he could allow anything.....

it is clearly seen that there are no precepts or principles he upholds........

So anything goes.......
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 21, 2012
davidylan:

As long as it is safe....no one gets hurt.

If there is mass flogging, then no
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 21, 2012
ijawkid:

I believe logic boy might allow his kids play and get whoped by egunguns........

Since he is an atheist he could allow anything.....

it is clearly seen that there are no precepts or principles he upholds........

So anything goes.......

You are quite a fool, arent you?

Logicboy03:

Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Ignatio(m): 7:35pm On Oct 21, 2012
Billyonaire: You mean Job's wife ?

No. Read Job 1: 6-12
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by ijawkid(m): 8:48pm On Oct 21, 2012
Logicboy03:

You are quite a fool, arent you?

You can as well send your kids to okija shrine for a play.....

Yeye boy......
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by ELVIKING(m): 8:55pm On Oct 21, 2012
[b][/b]If [i][/i]Re[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]ligion dey bring all dis kind confusion, am thinking seriously if going d oda way oooo
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 21, 2012
ijawkid:

You can as well send your kids to okija shrine for a play.....

Yeye boy......

I prefer Fela shrine wink wink
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Humptydumpty(f): 7:10am On Oct 22, 2012
frosbel: It is not fun, stop them immediately !

wat point of view are u arguing 4rm? Yes wat u said abt haloween is true but as for Catholic n All saints day,pls say wat u know! Follow wat u believe in n allow others follow wat dey believe in,all of Africans are brainwashed so far as Christianity n Islam are concerned cos dey are all foreign!
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Humptydumpty(f): 7:20am On Oct 22, 2012
frosbel:

no surprise here, the pagan church has now endorsed a Pagan day as a holiday ( Halloween ) calling it all the All Saints' Day.

What a wicked and most demoniacally infested pagan institution.
who told u dat wat u are doing is d oood one? Dnt jugde ok,belive in wat u u wnt2 believe n den allow others believe in wat dey believe in!
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by Humptydumpty(f): 7:26am On Oct 22, 2012
I dnt really understnd y some people solely belive dat wat dey practise is d best! But we Africans must knw dat we all are brainwashed be it Christianity or Islam,dey are all foreign.Belive wat u believe in den allow others believe in theirs! Sayin dat Catholic Church celebrates Halloween indirectly as All Saints is a blasphemy! Say wat u knw!
Re: Is Celebrating Halloween Harmless? by enioladeran: 9:47am On Oct 22, 2012
shocked shocked shocked Olu what? please do not bring such to Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atheists Are More Intelligent ‘because They Overcome The Instinct Of Religion' / Facts in Koran Muslim, Jesus Is Your God, And He Is Your Only Way To Escape Hell / Your Eyes Your Mind!! Your Mind Your Eyes!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.