Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,025 members, 7,942,716 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 03:29 PM

What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. (11014 Views)

What's So Special About Male Children? / Left Handed People: Whats So Special About Them! / Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by aruzuoke(m): 8:44pm On Oct 19, 2012
I don't know whether this practice is obtainable in other tribes. Why is it that the gizzard of the chicken is always reserved for the head of the family.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by ifyalways(f): 10:26pm On Oct 19, 2012
Step out of your tiny hamlet and see the world.

Its 2012 please!

3 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by ezotik: 10:37pm On Oct 19, 2012
grin it is true though. i remember the gizzard was always reserved for my dad.

2 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by pazienza(m): 11:14pm On Oct 19, 2012
Nice question, i have always thought about that too. Let's hope that someone would enlighten us on that here.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by tpia5: 11:44pm On Oct 19, 2012
I thought ezotik used to be benin.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by uboma(m): 12:09am On Oct 20, 2012
ifyalways: Step out of your tiny hamlet and see the world.

Its 2012 please!

if u have nothing meaniful to respond to the op's question, pls learn to simply pass or stand-by and learn. It may be 2012 but the culture of reserving the gizard for the head of a household is stil very much practised.

@op, weldone for bringing up such question. I hv also wondered why too. I hope to learn from fellow Nlanders(those who know the reason and ready to share).

9 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by ezotik: 12:31am On Oct 20, 2012
tpia@:
I thought ezotik used to be benin.

well, the OP wanted to also know if it happens elsewhere. and yes, the gizzard was always reserved for my dad by my mum. kinda funny thinking about it now.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by ifyalways(f): 12:44am On Oct 20, 2012
Uboma, if your parents denied you gizzard, go take out your frustrations on them.

@OP, why don't you(and others) ask your parents?which part of the chicken were you given(if any)?can you afford to have as much gizzards as you want now?would you deny your children gizzard too?

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by uboma(m): 12:55am On Oct 20, 2012
ifyalways: Uboma, if your parents denied you gizzard, go take out your frustrations on them.

@OP, why don't you(and others) ask your parents?which part of the chicken were you given(if any)?can you afford to have as much gizzards as you want now?would you deny your children gizzard too?

i will simply ignore u than trade words wit u. But my earlier advice to u stil stands.

6 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by mojounited(m): 1:09am On Oct 20, 2012
@OP, not only the gizzard o, but the nyash as well! lolz. Omo, I've once witnessed how my uncle lambasted his wife cuz the delicate parts of the chicken(gizzard and nyash) disappeared from the pot into someone's stomach without his knowledge or approval - no be small yawa wey gas for house that day... cheesy

After my uncle's brouhaha, I had concluded it was a man's right to chop those orisirisi parts grin - So I decided to try it with my mum; At age 12 (small me), when my mum prepared chicken on one fateful day, I seriously demanded that the nyash and gizzard be left for me and was furious when I subsequently found out that she ate the 'MANLY' parts... Mehn, the beatingz I received that day...choi! cheesy

9 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by aruzuoke(m): 8:28am On Oct 20, 2012

Its 2012 please!
Young lady I have one definition for u. You are a BIZAGA. Why trolling on my thread eternal spinster.

2 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Nobody: 8:51am On Oct 20, 2012
Poster is on point.

You don't joke with Gizzard (Eko) or the Hip region (Akpuru otule) of a fowl in my Family of those days. It's strictly reserved for my Extended family head.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by ifyalways(f): 10:03am On Oct 20, 2012
aruzuoke: Young lady I have one definition for u. You are a BIZAGA. Why trolling on my thread eternal spinster.
You are an UZANGA of no known lineage. Crying all over the board because of gizzard?!

So, did you ever get to taste chicken(head, bones or limbs) as a kid or your parents ate all? What "chicken plans" do you have for your kids ?

Okpo Idoma!
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by bokohalal(m): 9:10pm On Oct 20, 2012
Some people believe it is an aphrodisiac. If as a man you ever ate it you will understand. So,to some of you that wanted to know,every time your father ate the gizzard of a chicken,that night na helele for your mother.

2 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by candieangel12(f): 10:16am On Oct 21, 2012
Too bad everyone in my family is a vegetarian
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by SamMilla1(m): 10:17am On Oct 21, 2012
hahhahahahaha.

Onye emetukwala Eke Okuko m aka!

It is divine. Simple as that.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by salam001(m): 10:18am On Oct 21, 2012
Nonsense thread,don't generalize.!!,anybody eats The Gizzard in my home
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by 222Martins(m): 10:23am On Oct 21, 2012
Even though I'm an igbo man, i'm yet to understand this gizzard stuff. Well, i don't give a hoot about it.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Redblueblur: 10:25am On Oct 21, 2012
No fytin here. Gizard are 4 elders not for mere sucklers here exchangin words
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 21, 2012
I guess is a culture which still exist till today in igboland even in my family. I don't know why but it has become a legacy and a sign of respect to the elders in the family.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by pek(m): 10:38am On Oct 21, 2012
Yes. When the only time you get to eat chicken was on very special occasion. Those parts mentioned were/are symbolic and the head of the family had rights to them. Then, if he didnt get to eat them, the woman was in serious trouble. How time have changed.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 21, 2012
mojounited: @OP, not only the gizzard o, but the nyash as well! lolz. Omo, I've once witnessed how my uncle lambasted his wife cuz the delicate parts of the chicken(gizzard and nyash) disappeared from the pot into someone's stomach without his knowledge or approval - no be small yawa wey gas for house that day... cheesy

After my uncle's brouhaha, I had concluded it was a man's right to chop those orisirisi parts grin - So I decided to try it with my mum; At age 12 (small me), when my mum prepared chicken on one fateful day, I seriously demanded that the nyash and gizzard be left for me and was furious when I subsequently found out that she ate the 'MANLY' parts... Mehn, the beatingz I received that day...choi! cheesy
got me laughing like oyedepo!
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by dBard: 10:42am On Oct 21, 2012
ifyalways: Uboma, if your parents denied you gizzard, go take out your frustrations on them.

u seem dumb ..

8 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by sconsults: 10:45am On Oct 21, 2012

Its 2012 please!

Whether 2012 or not,i will never sit and watch a woman eat gizzard. God forbid.it will never happen until i turn to ashes
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Ejine(m): 10:47am On Oct 21, 2012
I think Ifyalways is a gizzard-eater grin
Woman, change your ways oo!!! grin

4 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by passionate88: 10:48am On Oct 21, 2012
idowuswap: Nothing wey igbo no fit eat they can eat toilet flies.igbo wey chop vulture.igbo wey dey carry cocaine go see them 4 prison like flies.....
what of those people wey carry cocain put 4 garri go hajj?.. Them b ibo or yoruba?.

4 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Ekans: 10:50am On Oct 21, 2012

Lady,simply shut your trap if you have nothing meaningful to contribute.Miss I T K.

3 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by Sijo01(f): 10:55am On Oct 21, 2012
Lmaooo!
so truth, same thing use to happen in my house. Gizzard and the nyash was stritly for elders. Now, its first come first serve.
Re: What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. by donigspain(m): 10:56am On Oct 21, 2012
IMO, I don't think there's any spiritual undertone to the tradition of reserving the gizzard and the 'an.al region' of animals (mostly fowls) for the most elderly male character in an Igbo family. I think it's more a sign of respect. But males, in their egotistic nature, have attached so much interest in this 'tradition' that it now seems like a 'sacred ritual' in Igbo Land.
In those days, my dad never jokes with those body parts and will most times ask me to eat them when he is rested upon the fact that my mum reserved them for him.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Igbo Bia Suọ Olu Inyì :: Come And Speak Your Dialects / Marriage Customs Of Okrika People In River State, Nigeria / Great Nupe Proverbs And Their Meanings!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.