Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,913 members, 7,969,800 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 02:26 PM

Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? (5208 Views)

See The Kind Of School Bus Conveying These Pupils To School (Photo) / Lagos Pupils To Pay N10,000 For Admission Tests / Ebola: NUT Asks Teachers To Ignore Sept. 22 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by gistme24(m): 1:57pm On Oct 25, 2012
The question I ask is: are these "teachers" trained ?
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by redsun(m): 1:59pm On Oct 25, 2012
blink182: You don't want the children to be flogged, you don't want them ridiculed to correction, when they become brats you still blame the school. I beg make una go sidon for one place.

Children are better off brats,confident nad intelligent than obedient,timid and stu-pid.Chidren learn by examples nad creative challenges,not by beating and ridiculing,it subdues their mental development and confidence.

Yes,you can ground or section an unruly child.Deprive him/her of what he/she enjoys on a good note(except food),then the child will associate bad behaviour to not having what he/she wants.It gives them some sense of responsibility,and it helps them learn to tow the line of doing the right thing.

Children are the reflections of adults,their standard of bahaviour and IQ are determined by the starndard of the behavoiurs and IQs of their mentors.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by thatchic: 1:59pm On Oct 25, 2012
Ewo, teacher no teach me nonosense. Shaming a four years old or any child for that matter is just plain wrong. Preschoolers should have extra clothing in their backpack. Positive reinforcement and feedback should be used in the classroom. The “teachers” are setting these kids up for all kinds of self-esteem issues. Op please have a talk with the teacher , calmly but assertively let her know that her behavior is unacceptable, take it up with the principal if you must. Talk to your child and let him know how great he is and that accidents happen. Don’t let anyone tear your child down.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 25, 2012
HellaBella:

And isn't teaching young children to shame their peers encouraging them to become disrespectful, self-righteous brats? Why is the teacher relying on other small kids to "correct" this child's behaviour? The fact that you don't see anything wrong in the teacher's behaviour speaks volumes.
The irony is that I bet when this teacher sees their work colleague or boss or "big man/big woman" doing wrong, he/she will keep their mouth zipped. I swear, talk about misplaced priorities.
It should speak volumes of whatever it wants †☺ you. I am tired of parents abandoning their responsibilities †☺ teachers. Teachers that engage in such usually can't flog the child Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd are at a loss of a way to correct the child. As a parent, people are suppose †☺ make their children responsible citizens by means deemed fit instead the whole parenting act Iڪ left for the teacher. Nigeria Iڪ a morally bankrupt state, schools have virtually nothing †☺ offer. The primary reason of sending ones child †☺ school Iڪ †☺ learn-learn new stuff educationally, hopefully morals Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd etiquette too but not in our nation of today. Nigerian schools have nothing †☺ offer kids aside education, if what you perceive as bad Iڪ being instilled into your child then correct it at home.

I personally do not see anything wrong with shaming a child, if your child thinks lowly of herself, its your duty as a parent †☺ correct that. Same applies if the child thinks too highly of herself. When these things manifest at home, parents will be like 'leave her, that Iڪ how she is' or 'she's a very smart girl'. There will always be bullies Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd those †☺ be bullied, do not blame it on a shaming exercise that Iڪ aimed at correcting the child. Parents should take responsibility for their kids.

I say it again, take responsibility for your kids. No child of mine will be bullied or be a bully. Parents are failing at their responsibilities Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd looking for a teacher †☺ blame it on. I was a teacher for a whole year, I know what I am saying.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Odunnu: 2:21pm On Oct 25, 2012
@Blink: its annoying struggling to understand what you are writing.
We are an English speaking forum. We dont do Chinese or Arab here.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 25, 2012
Odunnu: @Blink: its annoying struggling to understand what you are writing.
We are an English speaking forum. We dont do Chinese or Arab here.
lol, so sorry, it happens when I have to type fast, in the process of trying to make them plain texts, I usually forget the point I was trying to make.

Please this is †☺....to, Iڪ...is, Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd...and
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 25, 2012
redsun:

Children are better off brats,confident nad intelligent than obedient,timid and stu-pid.Chidren learn by examples nad creative challenges,not by beating and ridiculing,it subdues their mental development and confidence.

Yes,you can ground or section an unruly child.Deprive him/her of what he/she enjoys on a good note(except food),then the child will associate bad behaviour to not having what he/she wants.It gives them some sense of responsibility,and it helps them learn to tow the line of doing the right thing.

Children are the reflections of adults,their standard of behaviour and IQ are determined by the standard of the behaviours and IQs of their mentors.
your point of stifling mental growth still boils down to what I'm saying.

Your child went to school in the morning and got shamed, the child should be sad for most of that day and it will probably show when you pick up the child. It is your duty ...no way ah ah no way ah...hey you freaky little flirt.....sorry for that, the music is blaring as I type. As I was saying, it your duty to talk the child out of it. 'oh my baby was shamed today,...what did you do...don't worry, I will help so u don't get shamed again' or you could go 'wtf, how dare that useless teacher, bla bla bla...I will set that school on fire'.

Now let's face fact, the moment you report to the school authorities, you have successfully stigmatised your child. Teachers will go,'you have taken a sh1t on yourself again, if I ask the class to shame you, you will go and tell your parents' another teacher unaware of the situation comes in for one reason or the other and wants the child shamed and the class teacher that has been warned will go ' no o, I beg let her be o before she reports me to her mummy again' and the visiting teacher goes 'ehen, as small as you are, you are reporting your teacher to your parents'. Now being shamed and this which is more traumatic to the child? Also remember your child might not be able to explain this phenomenon to you.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Olumogun: 2:48pm On Oct 25, 2012
ssii:
You can't really blame the teacher, a four year old is too young to be grade 1. It is definitely going to be difficult for the teacher,there is a whole lot of difference between a four year old and a six year old which is the ideal age for grade 1

THIS ANSWER MOST QUESTIONS.
FOR GOD SAKE, LET US STOP TURNING SCHOOL TEACHERS TO NANNIES.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 25, 2012
Olumogun:

THIS ANSWER MOST QUESTIONS.
FOR GOD SAKE, LET US STOP TURNING SCHOOL TEACHERS TO NANNIES.
Thank you jor, during service year, there was no day my heart didn't bleed for those teaching toddlers. In the school I served, they are virtually slaves.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by oc2fish: 3:19pm On Oct 25, 2012
As a kid growing up in the village. I was shamed booed and floged today. I can look back and say thank you for letting me know that it is wrong to allow myslf to be shamed.

Most perants dont want proper training for their wards if you cannot give a controled flog to a child or shame him how do you correct.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by rosita112: 3:45pm On Oct 25, 2012
rosita112: Recently, I noticed my 4yr old Son saying the word SHAME to his yonger brother who is 18mths for peeing. My toddler is being potty trainned at the moment.

I was totally shocked and explaind to Him that there is nothing shameful for his brother peeing on himself that its only a potty accident and that sometimes other kids do the same too. I asked him were he learnt that and he told me his teaher in class asked everyone to say shame to a particular GIRL IN HIS CLASS AFTER SHE had a potty accident(probably peed or pooed on herself in class)

I find this rather disturbing and want to have a talk with the school authorities as this is a Church owned private school. I expect better from them. what are they instilling into the Children? Its never ok to shame a child for peeing on him or herself it may cause the child to have low self esteem and it may also encourage bullying.

I am thinking of changing his school at the moment but maybe next term.

Please what are other parents veiw on this issue?

I dont understand the mentality of some people. well, maybe because I'm mixed and exposed to both African training and western training and I must say I have the best of both worlds. Its not a matter of not wanting a teacher to dicipline a child at school but shaming is totally wrong and should not be encourged at all. Thats the way I see it. However, I'm glad this made front page. well, after some of the responses here I might not change my sons school yet but will definately have a talk with the teacher(in a nice tone) and school authorities and I would surely raise this at the next PTA meeting.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 25, 2012
oc2fish: As a kid growing up in the village. I was shamed booed and floged today. I can look back and say thank you for letting me know that it is wrong to allow myslf to be shamed.

Most perants dont want proper training for their wards if you cannot give a controled flog to a child or shame him how do you correct.
no na, you go sidon de look the pikin. That is what made America the gretest nation on earth.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by alphaconde(m): 4:49pm On Oct 25, 2012
This happened in my time while I was in school, now am grown and I can't see any disadvantage in it. The other day some persons started to protest that canes should be abolished in school, whereas we that were caned survived it and learnt our lesson. The question am asking is where is this our generAtion heading to, how do we want to raise our kids,we want to pet them and spoil dem right? I bet you if u don't shame or correct that peeing child now he will keep peeing till he is 15 and u wud keep thinking its just an accident.
Alpha conde

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by pweeryambre: 5:41pm On Oct 25, 2012
alpha conde: This happened in my time while I was in school, now am grown and I can't see any disadvantage in it. The other day some persons started to protest that canes should be abolished in school, whereas we that were caned survived it and learnt our lesson. The question am asking is where is this our generAtion heading to, how do we want to raise our kids,we want to pet them and spoil dem right? I bet you if u don't shame or correct that peeing child now he will keep peeing till he is 15 and u wud keep thinking its just an accident.
Alpha conde
Naturaly, a child stops peeing on himself around the age of 5, while some stop earlier, some do take longer and not totally dependant on how u train dem, BTW a child stil peeing at 15 definitely has a U.T problem, dat been said. Shaming a child in class is so wrong, while there r other better and friendly ways to correct him but sadly dat has been our way of life. If d child was a white mans child, or even a half cast, I m sure the teacher won't even bat an eye.(Africans and dia slave low esteem mentality)
Meanwhile does any one else think dat shaving off of female students hairs in secondary schools is wrong too. Wether d authorities think it should be done to make dem read or look smart, I think its wrong. It still has some effect on self esteem though.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by engrfcuksmtin(m): 5:59pm On Oct 25, 2012
smiley wink cheesy grin angry sad shocked cool tongue lipsrsealed kiss cry Am confused oo so how should a teacher correct the pupils.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by engrfcuksmtin(m): 6:00pm On Oct 25, 2012
It was used to replace flogging as a correctional measure. if we condem the method how do we now train our wards. Am confused ooo.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by pweeryambre: 6:26pm On Oct 25, 2012
engrfcuksmtin: It was used to replace flogging as a correctional measure. if we condem the method how do we now train our wards. Am confused ooo.
And wat is so hard in telling a child to come forward and tell d teacher or to run outside to go pee if he cannot make it to the loo.. Or wen he mistakenly does it in class, u can simply say( peeing in class, bad bad use the loo, yes yes) and wen he gets it right u clap for him,or cheer him up, I m sure dat wld make kids happy too. I think learning should be fun and not uneccesarily stigmatic for no reason.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Okijajuju1(m): 6:48pm On Oct 25, 2012
Go down to that school and make a complaint.. That is very very very bad. No teacher should ever do that.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Blueboy0402: 8:08pm On Oct 25, 2012
The action of the teacher is wrong but let me digress a little bit. We all know that the home is the bedrock of mentally adjusted children but I've observed with dismay that some parents have abandoned their duties towards their children and left them at the mercies of house-help and the school.

Psychologist such as Jean Piaget and Sigmund Freud have advocated that the period from birth to about age six is important to a childs future cognitive development and personality. These formative years should not be treated with levity because problems of aggression, stubbornness, low self esteem etc at adulthood can be traced to the neglect of this formative years.

In my opinion a chld of 4 years is not suppose to be in grade 1. He should still be in nursery. However parents especially mothers should spend more time with the kids during those formative years so as to avoid any form of fixation at adulthood.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Man51ut(m): 2:42am On Oct 26, 2012
alpha conde: This happened in my time while I was in school, now am grown and I can't see any disadvantage in it. The other day some persons started to protest that canes should be abolished in school, whereas we that were caned survived it and learnt our lesson. The question am asking is where is this our generAtion heading to, how do we want to raise our kids,we want to pet them and spoil dem right? I bet you if u don't shame or correct that peeing child now he will keep peeing till he is 15 and u wud keep thinking its just an accident.
Alpha conde

i teach in a school where students are brutalised for the slightest infraction. flogged like goats, in fact any beast of burden would probably lash out if you flogged it like that. yet the students still do bad. all they'll do is say sorry, and cry and beg, and at the end of the day, you'll still flog them again for doing the exact same thing. despite the fact that they were flogged mercilessly, they still had the liver to steal one of the corpers' blackberry. so flogging them does nothing. it just satisfies your anger at the moment. as far as correcting the child, it doesn't do anything.

you may have survived, congratulations. did everybody in your class survive?

cos what i have on my hands is kids who are too scared to think for themselves, to express an opinion and who copy each other for ss1 early day courses.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Egbagirl(f): 2:47am On Oct 26, 2012
pweeryambre:
Naturaly, a child stops peeing on himself around the age of 5, while some stop earlier, some do take longer and not totally dependant on how u train dem, BTW a child stil peeing at 15 definitely has a U.T problem, dat been said. Shaming a child in class is so wrong, while there r other better and friendly ways to correct him but sadly dat has been our way of life. If d child was a white mans child, or even a half cast, I m sure the teacher won't even bat an eye.(Africans and dia slave low esteem mentality)
Meanwhile does any one else think dat shaving off of female students hairs in secondary schools is wrong too. Wether d authorities think it should be done to make dem read or look smart, I think its wrong. It still has some effect on self esteem though.

the cane is now being abused. Teachers are frustrated because they are not satisfied with their jobs, they are not paid well and in fact, many of them dont really want to be teachers. Now couple that with dealing w children. Isnt that disastrous? thats why you hears cases of teachers beating children to death. They take out their anger on these kids. It's no longer a form of correction but torture. I will still beat/spank my kids but in love and correction not the way these frustrated teachers are. Teachers need to be patient. Not everyone is qualified for this position and it just so happens that our country has churned out such unqualified educators.

I've experienced teaching first hand and I can say that initially, I thought it was dumb to not beat kids but when I was in that position myself, i realized that there were other ways of correcting children. In Zimbabwe, you dont beat children (only in high school and its only the guys that can be caned by the headmaster himself or assistant headmaster, the girls are given manual labour to do or something else). There are other corrective methods that can work just as effectively. Also, haven taken psychology classes on this issue of behavior and what not, trust me, shaming isnt the best for children.
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 26, 2012
Siena: It's wrong. Accidents will happen with toddlers, young children and sometimes teenagers, for a myriad of reasons.

Getting children to shame others, regardless of what they've done is totally unacceptable. It can affect the child both physically and mentally. Such a child can become secretive, socially withdrawn and reclusive, feeling that what they've done is unnatural, and something to be ashamed of.

I would certainly have words with that "teacher"! angry

^^^^^^
Re: Is It Right For Teachers To Encourage Pupils To Shame Classmates? by Origin(f): 4:46pm On Oct 26, 2012
this is very serious and it must stop. the worst part is they will not even teach this kids the expected nursery ryhmes
I personally spoke to my niece,s teacher. most teachers take this as normal. that girl cannot sing a song without adding shame to it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

. / Nigeria Custom Service Recruitment 2015/16 Form Is Out On Sale Call 09022937433 / Ogun Govt To Spend N2 Billion On Textbooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.