Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,833 members, 7,938,442 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 06:07 AM

Is It True That Our Differences Is Our Strength In Nigeria? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It True That Our Differences Is Our Strength In Nigeria? (774 Views)

Similarities And Differences Between Ilaje And Itsekiri / Is It True That Females Always End Up In The Kitchen? (photo) / Is It True That Nigerians In Houston Sleep With Each Other's Spouses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It True That Our Differences Is Our Strength In Nigeria? by Ayomax(m): 12:47pm On Oct 25, 2012
In the Nigerian context, ethnicity is more of a concept which focuses on sentiments of origin, culture, language and religion. It tends to encompass the way in which people think of themselves and others and make sense of the world around them. However, expressions of ethnicity in Nigerian politics have largely been associated with war, clashes and other forms of violence. This disregards postulations by scholars that the mere existence of different ethnic groupings in one nation should not necessarily mean violence. The mere fact that Nigeria harbours more than 250 ethnic groups does not automatically mean that there should be conflicts or divisions. After all, the various groups are meant to co-exist peacefully since they collectively make up the territorial landmass. They are controlled by a government, have national army, pledged under a national anthem, and have same identity and other paraphernalia which qualifies Nigeria as a sovereign nation. I don't agree our differences is our strengths.
Re: Is It True That Our Differences Is Our Strength In Nigeria? by anonymous6(f): 1:22pm On Oct 25, 2012
Ayomax: In the Nigerian context, ethnicity is more of a concept which focuses on sentiments of origin, culture, language and religion. It tends to encompass the way in which people think of themselves and others and make sense of the world around them. However, expressions of ethnicity in Nigerian politics have largely been associated with war, clashes and other forms of violence. This disregards postulations by scholars that the mere existence of different ethnic groupings in one nation should not necessarily mean violence. The mere fact that Nigeria harbours more than 250 ethnic groups does not automatically mean that there should be conflicts or divisions. After all, the various groups are meant to co-exist peacefully since they collectively make up the territorial landmass. They are controlled by a government, have national army, pledged under a national anthem, and have same identity and other paraphernalia which qualifies Nigeria as a sovereign nation. I don't agree our differences is our strengths.

I believe Nigeria's differences are our strengths and weaknesses to a extent because our differences are the reason Nigeria had a civil war and why you see religious conflict but I feel our differences are also our strengths because it has brought out the beauty of Nigeria, in a way where we are not a monolithic group to a extent; for example if Nigeria was all Muslim and Hausa, it wouldn't be the Nigeria it is today(not a insult just a example). Nigeria is very unique, I feel the reason why our weaknesses are showing more is because some groups in Nigeria are not respecting other groups(ethnicities and etc) and it shows, especially in Northern Nigeria.
Re: Is It True That Our Differences Is Our Strength In Nigeria? by Ayomax(m): 1:51pm On Oct 25, 2012
anonymous6:

I believe Nigeria's differences are our strengths and weaknesses to a extent because our differences are the reason Nigeria had a civil war and why you see religious conflict but I feel our differences are also our strengths because it has brought out the beauty of Nigeria, in a way where we are not a monolithic group to a extent; for example if Nigeria was all Muslim and Hausa, it wouldn't be the Nigeria it is today(not a insult just a example). Nigeria is very unique, I feel the reason why our weaknesses are showing more is because some groups in Nigeria are not respecting other groups(ethnicities and etc) and it shows, especially in Northern Nigeria.
I do agree with you to some extend but my conclusion still remain we are better apart.
Re: Is It True That Our Differences Is Our Strength In Nigeria? by anonymous6(f): 1:53pm On Oct 25, 2012
Ayomax:
I do agree with you to some extend but my conclusion still remain we are better apart.

Apart from the northern Muslim radicals, yup I agree with that. Let me ask you a question: Do you feel that if the Hausa'a, Yoruba's and Igbo's had their own country that it would have been better off or the same?
Re: Is It True That Our Differences Is Our Strength In Nigeria? by Ayomax(m): 2:30pm On Oct 25, 2012
anonymous6:

Apart from the northern Muslim radicals, yup I agree with that. Let me ask you a question: Do you feel that if the Hausa'a, Yoruba's and Igbo's had their own country that it would have been better off or the same?
FAR BETTER OFF. each region must have been more developed than its present state now.
Re: Is It True That Our Differences Is Our Strength In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 25, 2012
i suppose it is in a way...but you guys stress it too much
and as a result stand divided.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do We Always Praise The Dead? / Oymyakon, The World's Coldest Inhabited Place (PHOTOS) / Water Or Tissue-paper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.