Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,780 members, 7,898,775 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 06:50 PM

A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell (13862 Views)

The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 29, 2012
freecocoa: You lost them?

Don't take this the wrong way Freecocoa but can we please not talk about those we lost to the disease? Just for the OP's sake. I bet she doesn't want to know the statistics of people who died from the disease she's suffering from . . .
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by bamto(m): 12:36pm On Oct 29, 2012
@ OP. Thanks for sharing. It's indeed a gory sight to behold when the crises start. I've two cousins with the sickle cell anemia. I really feel for them. But it's not only AS and AS combination that is risky you know? Any two carriers are. AS/AS, AS/SS, AS/SC, AS/AC, AC/AC, AC/SC etc. Many people are not aware of AC, SC, CC genotypes cos they are uncommon. Anything 'C' is the half of 'S' as the shape looks. Its just as deadly. Don't tell me there's no such thing 'cos I'm confirmed AC!

2 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Goddys(m): 12:37pm On Oct 29, 2012
Everything the op said here is true to the letter.My brother suffered this ailment for good 24 years before my very eyes until year 2010 when somebody invited us to a programme held at The Lord's Chosen Charismatic Revival Movement in Lagos.After the pastor's prayer,he asked all sickle cell patients to go for lab test.It shocked me to my innermost being when my brother came back home with 3 lab test results from different hospitals showing that his genotype was AA.Till this very day,he hardly fall sick.God is great

2 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 12:48pm On Oct 29, 2012
Poster, I empathise with you. Please I'm begging you, if you are in Nigeria please get Cellod-S. If not for that drug i'll be dead and forgotten.

At the peak of being a sufferer, these were my symptoms

Enlarged liver
Enlarged spleen
Protruding stomach
Protruding dentition
Pale skin colour
Weekly blood transfusion
Aching bones and joints
Skin ulcer
Always weak
Stunted growth
Constant fever
Thin limbs
Avascular necrosis of my left femoral head, this is the symptom that shows today as before I could get someone who could really treat it, my femoral head got deformed. I need arthroplasty to correct it, that is one procedure I refuse to do.

Yeah, my tummy is now flat, muscles everywhere, 6ft tall-my parents are and you can only imagine the embarrassment when my younger sister of 6 years became bigger than me. All that is in the past now, my protruding dentition is now a minor over bite.

My dear get that drug and start living and stop existing. The things I can do now ehn, all the missed sex, smooching, dating, drinking, my dear I even started smoking everything then stopped sha, its not my type of thing.

I can go on and on, I bath cold water, drink it, go cycling, even body building.

If at all, the only thing good about being a SCD sufferer is being brilliant. Not average brilliant, I mean fire for fire. I'm the dullest sufferer I know but the average person dare not challenge me to intellectual prowess.

8 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by walex25(m): 12:50pm On Oct 29, 2012
OP. I really feel so sorry for you. I Pray God will give you more strength to withstand it. I equally lost three uncle to this same disease. is so SAD. cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by freecocoa(f): 12:52pm On Oct 29, 2012
Ujujoan:

Don't take this the wrong way Freecocoa but can we please not talk about those we lost to the disease? Just for the OP's sake. I bet she doesn't want to know the statistics of people who died from the disease she's suffering from . . .
I totally understand.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 12:54pm On Oct 29, 2012
Op, touching story. As I guessed NL people are already saying awww; what a touching story etc and all other funny pity phrases.
You have gained their attention. But, you said you don't look it, apart from the colour of your eyes people won't really know.
Let me ask you; do you really crave the pity attention from people or you genuinely want to educate people about SCD?
Aside SCD, do you think you have a bright future? You said you are in school, do you wish to use your education to better yourself? Or are you just in school, because your parents can pay for it?
Do you wish to Love and be Loved, as a person?
Do you wish to earn respect and not DEMAND respect, cos you suffer from SCD?

Answers to these questions and more will enlighten you on who you are.
YOU ARE A WARRIOR AND WARRIORS DON'T SEEK PITY. THEY CRAVE TO ACHIEVE GOALS AND EARN RESPECT AND ADMIRATION FROM ALL AND SUNDRY.

I equally have SCD. am out

6 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 12:56pm On Oct 29, 2012
blink182: Poster, I empathise with you. Please I'm begging you, if you are in Nigeria please get Cellod-S. If not for that drug i'll be dead and forgotten.

At the peak of being a sufferer, these were my symptoms

Enlarged liver
Enlarged spleen
Protruding stomach
Protruding dentition
Pale skin colour
Weekly blood transfusion
Aching bones and joints
Skin ulcer
Always weak
Stunted growth
Constant fever
Thin limbs
Avascular necrosis of my left femoral head, this is the symptom that shows today as before I could get someone who could really treat it, my femoral head got deformed. I need arthroplasty to correct it, that is one procedure I refuse to do.

Yeah, my tummy is now flat, muscles everywhere, 6ft tall-my parents are and you can only imagine the embarrassment when my younger sister of 6 years became bigger than me. All that is in the past now, my protruding dentition is now a minor over bite.

My dear get that drug and start living and stop existing. The things I can do now ehn, all the missed sex, smooching, dating, drinking, my dear I even started smoking everything then stopped sha, its not my type of thing.

I can go on and on, I bath cold water, drink it, go cycling, even body building.

If at all, the only thing good about being a SCD sufferer is being brilliant. Not average brilliant, I mean fire for fire. I'm the dullest sufferer I know but the average person dare not challenge me to intellectual prowess.

blink, op maybe craving for pity attention and not to educate people about SCD.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 29, 2012
Abali1:

blink, op maybe craving for pity attention and not to educate people about SCD.
Either ways, she has gained our attentions and educated us. What matters is not the OP's intentions but the message she eventually passes across.

4 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by rodeo0070(m): 1:08pm On Oct 29, 2012

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by tonym1(m): 1:08pm On Oct 29, 2012
VERY TOUCHING BUT I DO UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FEEL AND THERE IS NO POINT ASKING GOD WHY YOU.

AM AN SS THAT USED TO HAVE CRISIS NEARLY EVERY 6 MONTHS AND SPENT MOST OF MY TIME IN AND OUT OF HOSPITAL, PEOPLE USED TO FEEL SORRY FOR ME AND EVEN MY SIBLINGS, I USED TO QUESTION GOD ALSO. BUT ONE DAY I WENT TO AN HOSPITAL 15 YEARS AGO AND PRAYED TO GOD THAT MY TIME WILL NOT BE SPENT IN THIS HOSPITAL AGAIN AND THAT WAS THE LAST CRISIS I HAD.

I AM ON CONSTANT MEDICATION USING PENICILLIN AND FOLIC ACID, I DO HAVE PAINS SOMETIMES. IT'S BETTER TO LOOK AFTER YOURSELF AND HAVE MEDICAL CHECK UPS ALL TIME.

I PRAY THAT GOD WILL HEAL AND TOUCH YOU, ITS HARD AT TIMES BUT GOD IS MY STRENGTH smiley.

6 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by rodeo0070(m): 1:08pm On Oct 29, 2012
@ Poster. Keep your head up. I know my God will not let you down. You will be surprised that "Impossible is nothing"...

Nothing dey happen. Keep your head up.
God almighty is in control...
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2012
Tlinkz: Thank you all for your positive feedback and prayers. A day in my life has always being like a nightmare, but now that I'm older and more matured to handle the situation, I feel happier and proud of myself and all I've achieved in life against all odds.

Thank you all once again, this really means a lot to me

You are proud about all you've achieved in life against all odds, yet you go ahead to tell pity/ cry baby story.
People will really pity your story and when it comes to measuring you against your abilty as a person, they will still go ahead to use SCD as a barrier for stopping you from giving you your due.
I have been there before.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 1:12pm On Oct 29, 2012
ItsModella:
Either ways, she has gained our attentions and educated us. What matters is not the OP's intentions but the message she eventually passes across.

Yes, she gained your attention. But when she falls in "LOVE" with your AA brother, will you allow them to marry. Or will you tell your brother that there are other "HEALTHY" people out there?

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 1:13pm On Oct 29, 2012
rodeo0070: @ Poster. Keep your head up. I know my God will not let you down. You will be surprised that "Impossible is nothing"...

Nothing dey happen. Keep your head up.
God almighty is in control...

Thank you for this. @op,
IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST AN OPINION.
AM A WARRIOR.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 1:16pm On Oct 29, 2012
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 1:16pm On Oct 29, 2012
tony_m1: VERY TOUCHING BUT I DO UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FEEL AND THERE IS NO POINT ASKING GOD WHY YOU.

AM AN SS THAT USED TO HAVE CRISIS NEARLY EVERY 6 MONTHS AND SPENT MOST OF MY TIME IN AND OUT OF HOSPITAL, PEOPLE USED TO FEEL SORRY FOR ME AND EVEN MY SIBLINGS, I USED TO QUESTION GOD ALSO. BUT ONE DAY I WENT TO AN HOSPITAL 15 YEARS AGO AND PRAYED TO GOD THAT MY TIME WILL NOT BE SPENT IN THIS HOSPITAL AGAIN AND THAT WAS THE LAST CRISIS I HAD.

I AM ON CONSTANT MEDICATION USING PENICILLIN AND FOLIC ACID, I DO HAVE PAINS SOMETIMES. IT'S BETTER TO LOOK AFTER YOURSELF AND HAVE MEDICAL CHECK UPS ALL TIME.

I PRAY THAT GOD WILL HEAL AND TOUCH YOU, ITS HARD AT TIMES BUT GOD IS MY STRENGTH smiley.

This is what am talking about. keep that spirit brother. YOU ARE A WARRIOR & A SURVIVOR.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 29, 2012
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by pendo89(f): 1:18pm On Oct 29, 2012
Thank you Tlinkz.You are indeed a strong and wonderful person.
Your beautiful soul and strong will,will take you places you never thought you would go and open doors you thought would never open for you because of SCD.
You are a conquerer.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 1:19pm On Oct 29, 2012
apocalypse: I doubt this story is hers but a means to gain support for her own choice. With the advancement in medicine and science as a whole , ending your relationship with your other half based on genotype is no issue , come on information is everywhere - use it.
There are some people you can't live without

On the contrary, I believe it's her story. But she is still struggling with how she is being percieved by society. Hence this story.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 29, 2012
Abali1:

Yes, she gained your attention. But when she falls in "LOVE" with your AA brother, will you allow them to marry. Or will you tell your brother that there are other "HEALTHY" people out there?
My brother makes that decision not me. I expect him to know what is good for him. But to answer your question, yes. Using the punnett square, it is very (I mean highly) unlikely that they'll have a SS child. All their children will be have the AS genotype.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 1:26pm On Oct 29, 2012
Foxybone: THERE WAS A NATION

There is mayhem on the streets
Screams of pain coming out plentifully from onlookers
Blood flowing from dissected bodies
While others are aligned to be beheaded
A new movie indeed and the actors performing well
Buckets after buckets of animal blood is thrown
Height of cinematography being choreographed
But it yet brings to mind the decay in our society
A society that diversity is the trusting bond
And religion the apple of discord sown

There was once a nation
Flourishing under the watchful eyes of the slave-masters
Civilization they call it but in reality modern slavery
Noble families elected and taught the secret
Grin to your masters and your reward shall be much
Eyes opened and the slaves reveled
No more colonies we want our country
Governed by us and protected by our own laws
The slave-masters are shamed
Years of investment going down the drain
What more can be used to destroy the new nation of diversity
Aye!!! The apple of discord sown in religion

So our travails began
No succor to the many wars fought
Not with guns but with crude weapons of ancient weaponry
Daggers and bamboo sticks made ready for such purpose
Chants of war cry while the innocent suffers the brunt
O! There was a nation
Whose place has been overtaken
But solace it found in spilling blood
Blood of the poor masses and downtrodden
While the wielders of powers stay put on seat
Watching the sport of blood

There is a nation!!!
Whose advancement in technology meant death
Bombs improvised in the name of religion
While the nation becomes the testing sites
If ever you get to heaven
Ask the creator why there is a nation
And if there be any answer
Reveal it to me in a dream
While I drown my sorrows in this keg of plamwine

Dedicated to the Victims of Kaduna Bomb Blast
How does this relate to the topic? sad Dude, go for psychiatric test.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by pinky85: 1:29pm On Oct 29, 2012
Eeeyah !, @ OP

I know EXACTLY what you mean.
Your teens and 20s are some of the toughest times you'll have but you'll get to a stage where you can manage yourself better.

I also had the yallow I issue. Maybe now that I know what to do these days its not so pronounced and sometimes my eyes are totally fine.

The trick is to know your limitations. When we are younger we want to do what all our mates are doing. The truth is you'd soon get yourself into trouble if you continue.

After loads of personal research and studying myself I can say am so much more healthy than I used to be in my 20s. Only thing is a slight limp which I didn't get from avascular necrosis but from an unintended injury a Nurse inflicted on me 10 years ago in a hospital !

I weigh 75kg , which is just right for my height. I used to be so skinny. Now I'm fighting to stay trim. Don't worry the trick is to make it to your 30s and after that strive to get into your 40s and so on..
Don't give up !

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 29, 2012
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 1:30pm On Oct 29, 2012
ItsModella:
My brother makes that decision not me. I expect him to know what is good for him. But to answer your question, yes. Using the punnett square, it is very (I mean highly) unlikely that they'll have a SS child. All their children will be have the AS genotype.

Good answer on NL. About having SS child, it is not possible genetically. All children will be AS.
In real life parents and family, will object their children marrying SS people.( I have had the experience in the past).
Not all parents though. But, if I were to rate it on a scale of 1-10. I will say 9, will not agree forget level of eduacation.
So again, good answer cos you are in the 1% of people who will not judge others based on SCD.

1 Like

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by freecocoa(f): 1:32pm On Oct 29, 2012
Abali1:

On the contrary, I believe it's her story. But she is still struggling with how she is being percieved by society. Hence this story.
Excuse me Mister, what really is your problem? she shouldn't share her story because? If you have a problem with someone trying to educate others on the dangers of ignoring issues that arise with genotypes, then that's your problem, stop trying to paint OP as a cry baby.....not cool.

2 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by freecocoa(f): 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2012
apocalypse:

Okay but I still have my reservations
You have reservations because? What do you think the OP stands to gain by telling her story?
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by ZURYZEST(m): 1:35pm On Oct 29, 2012
i really appreicate your courage to come out to enlighten ppl, for those of you still in doubt please watch this movie " my sisters keepper" and you'll be touched, the burden is just too much to bear.
remain blessed.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Rooneyboy(m): 1:35pm On Oct 29, 2012
so touchy ,

Thank u for sharing ur story ,and pls continue doing this so as to enlighten us on this sickle sell disease.

U could further take this ur "campaign" to our wonder churches that have refused to digest any other thing other than miracles from their so called pastors.
Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 1:37pm On Oct 29, 2012
@ITSMODELLA,
I am not here to attack the op, but to help all SS people anywhere they might be.
The world tends to judge people based on Colour, race, And now GENOTYPE. It is wrong. But you can't change the world, but you can change your view of the world.
I graduated and went for job aptitude tests. I will pass and be called for interviews, only for all my efforts to end there cos am a SS. Not because I wasn't qualified.
Today, do I regret missing out some of thos opportunities. NO. cos I have moved on and am grateful to God, who is empowering me financially.
I will always shout it from the roof top... SS PEOPLE ARE WARRIORS AND SURVIVIORS, WE DON'T REALLY NEED YOUR PITY. ALL WE ASK THAT YOU JUDGE US BY OUR MERITS.

14 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by Abali1(m): 1:41pm On Oct 29, 2012
freecocoa: Excuse me Mister, what really is your problem? she shouldn't share her story because? If you have a problem with someone trying to educate others on the dangers of ignoring issues that arise with genotypes, then that's your problem, stop trying to paint OP as a cry baby.....not cool.

My dear, the story is not really educative. The story is more about the TRAUMA OF SCD. If you want to be educated about SS disease, you should be Learning about how the sufferers manage SCD.
What in the op's story signifies how she is managing it. Is it the pains she is Having? is the numerous visits to the hospital?
Freecocoa, what is eduacative in this story?

2 Likes

Re: A Day In The Life Of Someone Living With Sickle Cell by jpphilips(m): 1:46pm On Oct 29, 2012
And peeps with HIV still complain

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NAFDAC Headquarters Abuja On Fire / Baby Without Skull: Reps To Raise N10m For Surgery / Wipe Away Goitre Without Operation Using Only Natural Supplement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.