Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,730 members, 7,875,834 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 10:46 PM

Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested (8030 Views)

EFCC Chairman Lamorde Sues The Sun Newspaper For N1billion / Nigerian Twitter Users Call Out Ambode Over Report That Fashola Spent N139m On / Journalist Beaten At Inauguration Over Report On Buhari & Nasarawa Gov (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by Desmonddeck: 7:40pm On Oct 30, 2012
Let the court decide
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by Degis(m): 7:43pm On Oct 30, 2012
Good one, Gov. Ajimobi. It will serve as a deterrent to rumor peddlers. Useless lots of uninspiring pedigree.
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by GARRIx7(m): 7:44pm On Oct 30, 2012
Clemzy16: Gov. Ajimobi is trying to reap where he did not sow. We are know that the media play an important role in our everyday life. Afterall, the story was an "Alledge." not necessarily saying she was actually arrested. Besides, there is no smoke without a fire. Also, The Nigerian media has always been known for publishing what i will refer to as rather un-true stories. You know the I-did-this, I-did-that attitute. Everybody want to be the first to publish a story. It's more like a competition. An example is "SaharaReports." whom bombarded us with fake news about the health of the first lady. They published differents sicknesses whom they claimed was the problem affecting the first lady. They also came on air to disclose that the first story was false and the new one was true, and the new one was false that the next one is true. That is what they did until the first lady finally arrived the country safely. Above-all, did the president santion or sue them?! Probably it was just a false alarm that P.M news got that made them to publish the story. What i had expected the governor to do was to come out to clear the air that his wife was never arrested, Report to P.M news and asked them to publish another story insisted that she was not arrested. With that i don't think there would be any need for sueing or what-have-you.

Suing PM news is the "gentlemanly" way of addressing a false publication. It's a civilised and legal approach.

It's far better than the brutal clampdown on media houses we saw in the past...
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by ektbear: 7:50pm On Oct 30, 2012
Degis: Good one, Gov. Ajimobi. It will serve as a deterrent to rumor peddlers. Useless lots of uninspiring pedigree.

+1000
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by franchizy(m): 7:50pm On Oct 30, 2012
I want to appeal to the FG to ban Nairaland, I'm tired of reading useless comments from educated illitrates here. Wat is wrong if the Governor went to court to fight for his right, the matter has not begun yet people r commenting rubbish here. A shame

1 Like

Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by mirabilisjalapa: 7:52pm On Oct 30, 2012
Lie lie...do the courts open late in the evening. It still stands as an untention to sue may be tomorrow. False publication by the Vanguard Newspapers too

1 Like

Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by leighcon(m): 7:55pm On Oct 30, 2012
Just like I did in another post, below is an exchange of email between myself and the Information Commissioner in Oyo state;

To:
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:48 PM
Subject: News on Mrs> Ajimobi's Arrest

Sir,
Saw a news in the link below on the arrest of Governor's wife and how he has travelled to stand surety for him.

Ajimobi's wife Arrest

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 30 October 2012 19:22
Subject: Re: News on Mrs> Ajimobi's Arrest
To:

Ajimobi sues PM News, NewsLeak for N1b over report on wife

The Oyo State Governor, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, has sued the Independent Communications Network Limited, publishers of PM News for the sum of N1 billion.

This was disclosed in a release issued by Festus Adedayo, the governor's Special Adviser on Media.

The evening newspaper had on Tuesday published a piece entitled 'Anxiety over Florence Ajimobi's alleged arrest in UK' wherein it published a story purportedly written by an online agency named Newsleak which alleged that the wife of the governor had been arrested in London for money laundering.

According to the release, the government of Oyo State had the responsibility to ensure that the media does not become an instrument in the hands of blackmailers for such acts.

"We want to state unequivocally that this report is not only wicked, it is the figment of the imagination of the writers. Mrs. Ajimobi was never arrested for any offence whatsoever. Even though our investigations have shown that this is the work of some arrowheads of the opposition, it was done in such an amateurish way that beats the imagination of any responsible reader," the release said.

The government said that though it had a lot of respect for the media, there was the need to drag the runners of these media to court to explain the details of their reports to the rest of the world.

The government decried what it called dirty politicking by the opposition in the state who use the media for the propagation of their falsehood, stating that the courts would be able to compel those behind this wicked lie to provide details of the veracity or otherwise of their claims on the governor's wife.

On 30 October 2012 19:24, wrote:

According to peddlers of the wicked rumuor about the Oyo State First Lady, it was a community based newspaper in the UK that published the news of Mrs Ajimobi's "arrest" with Lavish pictures and they have been making efforts to get the pictures.
However here are some posers for the wicked souls>>>>>
1. how come they got the news and not the pictures.

2. Which community based newspaper in the UK will publish without a name of the tabloid?

3. What is the name of the newspaper for it to be verified by discerning readers?

4. How come Chief Wole Olanipekun SAN was named as the Lawyer when the newspaper has no name and Chief Olanipekun is not licensed to practise Law in the UK?

5. why would Mrs Ajimobi be arrested on Tuesday 16th October (2 weeks ago by their report) when she was busy disrtibuting food items to the less priviledged in Oyo State on that same day at the flag off of Ajumose food bank marking the world food day?

6. How come there is nothing on the website of London Metropolitan Police to this effect?

7. How come according to the rumour mongers, she was granted one week bail and she chose to travel back to London on Sunday 28th October 2012 two weeks after having "jumped bail" for one week?

8. why are the rumour mongers using pseudo names on face book?

Answer pleeeassssse!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 30, 2012
Elueme: This lackluster governor should keep quiet instead of further exposing his corrupt deeds. PM news will not just make such a bold publication if something had not gone wrong somewhere. Instead of focusing on how to redeem his administration from the jaw of ineptitude and non performers, he takes delight in squandering tax payers money for an exercise in futility.
the same PM news told us different thing about patience Jonathan with what we heard/read from sahara report
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 30, 2012
The governor sueing PM news is a welcome development. I think our journalists, both print and media should engage in investigative journalism instead of junk journalism being practiced in nigeria in particular and Africa in general.

Furthermore, we should all join hands together to fix our judicial system. These arrests are supposed to be done in Nigeria and not abroad.

All the S S, police, joint task force, and civil defence in Nigeria can't unmask a simple crime because the elite is involved.

When will we stop hearing this type of news. First it was faruk lawan and his elder brother Otedolar. Secondly, we have oil thieves who were arraigned in court only to be hurriedly dischard by the same court that oyo state governor was sueing PM news at. Thirdly, pension scam, contract inflation, diversion of flood relief materials, rooting of the national treasury. And now this governor that is confused in governance, and his wife are joining the long list.

When will we stop hearing all this. when will this country be a better place.
When will we beat our chests and proudly call ourselves nigerians.
When,
when,
when .
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by duality(m): 9:11pm On Oct 30, 2012
Imagine if the First Lady, Jonathan; decides to sue the media houses for the mincemeat made of her character. She is a public figure the'll say.

Okey, Mrs Ajimobi is a public figure. if Mrs Jonathan can be butchered by the media, I see no reason Mrs Ajimobi should be spared.

I think she should come out clean and deny the issue rather than sue. If the ajimobis sues, then they'll have nailed their street acceptance to the cross.
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by hathiba: 9:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
The different btw Ripe and Unripe mango is Time. Time has proved so many of his Like wrong.where is Ibori today?
Mr Governor, your self deniance and claim today may be good,bt if the so-called allegation is true tomorrow, where u go hide your face sir??
Look b4 u lip ooo so dat PM News will nt sue you for the same amount tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by dayokanu(m): 9:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
PM news don enter gbege
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
It was a wicked, very wicked lie.
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by takedat(m): 10:00pm On Oct 30, 2012
Its a shame that Nigerian youths find it difficult to discern if a news is authentic or fictitious. Imagine a PM NEWS claiming to have spoken with Met without disclosing which official of Met they spoke with to confirm the veracity of the news. Its funny that people take the London Met to be Nigerian police who would make arrest without issuing a statement and without documentation. PM NEWS hung itself after they claimed that "London Met Police has not issued any
statement about her alleged arrest. And her name drew blank in a search of the Met Police website by P.M.NEWS.
The unconfirmed reports claimed that
Governor Abiola Ajimobi has had to fly
to the UK to get her bailed".
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by dridowu: 10:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
Who owns PM NEWS ? ACN OWNS PM NEWS
Which Party is Gov Ajimobi ? ACN
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by BetaThings: 3:09am On Oct 31, 2012
Elueme: This lackluster governor should keep quiet instead of further exposing his corrupt deeds. PM news will not just make such a bold publication if something had not gone wrong somewhere. Instead of focusing on how to redeem his administration from the jaw of ineptitude and non performers, he takes delight in squandering tax payers money for an exercise in futility.
The something that went wrong is automatically a fault of the governor?
It cannot be careless journalism. You guys agreed with, though I don't, GEJ that press is politicised. But now PM News is credible. I am waiting for the next time they accuse GEJ of something
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by BetaThings: 3:32am On Oct 31, 2012
Billyonaire: Mr Ajimobi needs to step down pending the results of Independent Investigations. If Mr Ajimobi makes any visit to the UK, he needs to be arrested and investigated.
Beaf, you never repent or relent
When Dora threatened to sue Aondoaka for defamation you sided with Dora but did not tell oga to sack Aondoaka
Ogbulafor has stepped down. How far with that case? GEJ vows, Jonathan vows. When will he deal with the really corrupt people?
When Dame Patience Jonathan was caught laundering money while Oga was Gov of Bayelsa, did you ask oga to step down?
When EFCC filed the case (with case number etc) in court against Patience name was mentioned, did you ask oga GEJ to step down?
When Next told us about the countless fraudulent acts of Deziani, was she asked to resign?
She did not even threaten Next like Ajomobi has done to PM news. Like a career politician that she has become, Deziani spoke only of detractors
Only people who are have facts on their side go to court. That was why we begged and begged Deziani to go to court against Next. But no she could not. Afterall, you can only go to equity with clean hands
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by ektbear: 3:56am On Oct 31, 2012
Prof Corruption: It was a wicked, very wicked lie.

and PM News should be made to pay the price for their slander
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by olatunde1234: 7:07am On Oct 31, 2012
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by free2ryhme: 7:53am On Oct 31, 2012
there is no smoke without fire grin grin
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by bashydemy(m): 8:59am On Oct 31, 2012
olatunde1234: There is no smoke without fire, check this out:- http://naijagists.com/florence-ajimobis-arrest-confirmed-by-london-police-oyo-state-governors-wife-arrested/
But am not seeing any smoke here
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by abouqi(f): 9:49am On Oct 31, 2012
franchizy: I want to appeal to the FG to ban Nairaland, I'm tired of reading useless comments from educated illitrates here. Wat is wrong if the Governor went to court to fight for his right, the matter has not begun yet people r commenting rubbish here. A shame

you should be banned first you know, or what are you doing on nairaland?
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by olivertwist: 10:22am On Oct 31, 2012
Billyonaire: Mr Ajimobi needs to step down pending the results of Independent Investigations. If Mr Ajimobi makes any visit to the UK, he needs to be arrested and investigated.

Yeah, I agree with you. Just like GEJ stepped down when his wife was {allegedly} caught by EFCC for money laundering in millions of $$$s.
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by pcicero(m): 12:18pm On Oct 31, 2012
olivertwist:

Yeah, I agree with you. Just like GEJ stepped down when his wife was {allegedly} caught by EFCC for money laundering in millions of $$$s.

grin grin grin
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 31, 2012
Na wa for Nigerians o! See all kinds of funny/surprising comments on this issue.

Anyways, I think this is a good test for both journalism and the judicial system in naija. If PM news is found to be guilty, I am of the opinion that they should pay to the last kobo. Cos a lot of unethical stuff happens in the country and we enjoy rumors too much.

If the Gov is found to be lying, then PM news should counter sue him and make him pay. At the end of the day I think both judicial system and journalism in naija will be tested.
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by richkids1(m): 3:54pm On Oct 31, 2012
ANALIST: Oyo state is the new state captured by ACN in the 2011 general election which ought to augument the accomplishment of Lagos and other ACN state in our southwest, but if there is not only iota but the microscopic infiniticimal truth in the rumour then the administration can never deliver dividend of democracy in such money laundering atmosphere.

Les's watch and see if Ajimobi will become the next DSP OR JOI of the southern states or the bad name to hang the dog.

LFL(ANALIST)

I believe in AJIMOBI's administrations and know they won't do such a thing...ACN should always continue to follow their customs - peoples and democracy first
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by olatunde1234: 7:31pm On Oct 31, 2012
bashy_demy: But am not seeing any smoke here
and you still dont see the bitter true here:- http://naijagists.com/oyo-state-governors-wife-arrest-the-bitter-truth/
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by BetaThings: 3:49am On Nov 01, 2012
olatunde1234: There is no smoke without fire, check this out/

Did you start the fire? Are you applying to be joined in the suit against PM News
What do people benefit when they help spread tales that destroy others. God will not allow criminals to prevail. The truth will come out. But why not be patient.
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by grandlexuz(m): 5:59pm On Nov 26, 2012
k2039: IN EVERY RUMOUR THEIR IS AN IOTA OF TRUTH

That has never been proven. Rather in some rumours there is an iota of truth!
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by grandlexuz(m): 6:00pm On Nov 26, 2012
BetaThings:

Did you start the fire? Are you applying to be joined in the suit against PM News
What do people benefit when they help spread tales that destroy others. God will not allow criminals to prevail. The truth will come out. But why not be patient.

Thank You.
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by grandlexuz(m): 6:07pm On Nov 26, 2012
duality: Imagine if the First Lady, Jonathan; decides to sue the media houses for the mincemeat made of her character. She is a public figure the'll say.

Okey, Mrs Ajimobi is a public figure. if Mrs Jonathan can be butchered by the media, I see no reason Mrs Ajimobi should be spared.

I think she should come out clean and deny the issue rather than sue. If the ajimobis sues, then they'll have nailed their street acceptance to the cross.

Duality or whatever your real name is, I suppose if a news outlet falsely claimed you raped a three year old girl, you would be happy. Man talk some sense! It is bad to show ones ignorance in public!
Re: Ajimobi Sues PM News, For N1Billion Over Report On Wife Being Arrested by k2039: 8:15am On Nov 27, 2012
grandlexuz:

That has never been proven. Rather in some rumours there is an iota of truth!
I get your point and obviously you are right.
All generalisation are wrong.

Point noted

(1) (2) (Reply)

Voice Of America On Biafra / How Much Money Do You Think Was In The Bullion Vans At Tinubu's House? / "Vanity And Vanity" - More Pictures Of The Billionaire That Died Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.