Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,368 members, 7,950,760 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 09:28 PM

The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. (860 Views)

Stories From The Quran- Moses and Pharaoh / Does The Quran Permit Suicide? / Muslims: What's Your Favorite Ayah Or Surah In The Quran? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by tbaba1234: 11:11am On Nov 02, 2012
There are many things but these are some of the peculiar things:

i. You have been cheated: I think this is probably the first feeling. Many muslims reduce the Quran to isolated ayahs and scientific miracles. There is so much going on in a surah that reducing it to this is a massive disservice. Sometimes the ayah is just driving home a point, that has been highlighted from the beginning of the surah but people only appreciate a certain scientific coherence and miss the entire picture completely.

I am not a fan of scientific miracles in the Quran, some are accurate and correct but there is so much depth in the Quranic discourse, that many people have been sold short.

ii. You want to throw your translations away: grin, yea, you can't blame the translator though. I read a translation of some surahs and i am just like 'eww'... hehe.. A lot of what is going on is lost sometimes.

iii. A surah is a course of Study: The surahs are nothing short of just incredible. The way Allah brings the themes together is just divine... You start to fall in love with them. Surah Nisa and Surah Nur were the ones that really hit home for me.

iv. OMG, OMG, OMG - When you discover something incredible, would happen many, many times...

v. You get a lot more value even when you read translations, you have an idea of what is going on.

vi. An inside look at the seerah: The Quran gives you an inside view of the seerah of the prophet( peace and blessings be upon him), People who say they are Quran only do not even understand the Quran. The Quran and the seerah are inseparable.

vii. You know nothing: You realise after studying, how little you know. It is like a drop in an Ocean of knowledge, that is the Quran. You feel the responsibility of conveying the little, you know.

viii. Without reflecting, you won't get it: No book will test your reflecting and reasoning skills like the Quran. This is coming from someone with degrees in Engineering.

ix. Everything becomes an ayah: Everything reminds you of an ayah, you can tie everything to an ayah... The light flickers in your room and an ayah comes to mind. everything can become an ayah.

x. You fall in love- You fall in love with the Quran.
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by snubish: 12:42pm On Nov 02, 2012
very true, the feeling that most comes to mind for me is Awe. to the point that, in addition to laziness, I tend to leave studying the Quran from being overawed by its gravity. God forgive me.
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by hadbak: 3:04pm On Nov 02, 2012
MashaAllah! To me when ever I open d Holy Quran each Ayah I come acros it soooo amazing plus ma Quran has a footnote/comentary dt explains incidents on some Ayahs N when I bcome deep into it I feel subhanAllah..words so pure n true..I luv Allah n alhamdulillah I'm a muslim
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by tbaba1234: 4:24pm On Nov 02, 2012
xi you will cry a lot: Many things will move you to tears...
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by usisky(m): 8:22pm On Nov 03, 2012

tbaba1234: .......The Quran gives you an inside view of the seerah of the prophet( peace and blessings be upon him), People who say they are Quran only do not even understand the Quran. The Quran and the seerah are inseparable.

PEACE Tbaba! May i ask what exactly you mean by the bold part above? Well, i am a quran only advocate, and from what you have alluded above, i do not understand the quran. Right? I am guessing you do understand the quran hence your reason for making such remark.I would like to ask a few questions so i can get some enlightenment from you.

1) Was the prophet muhammad unlettered(illiterate)? if yes, then explain how come. I will appreciate some quranic verses to back that up.

2)Are there verses in the quran that cannot be understood? if yes, please state why.

3)What is the significance of the Eid you just concluded and what does the animal slaughter symbolize?

just a few questions dear learned one. Let us start with these

PEACE!!

Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by tbaba1234: 10:12pm On Nov 03, 2012
First of all, i can not claim to be an authority on the Quran,far from it, im still learning but people who ignore the seerah,can not even begin to understand.
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by usisky(m): 11:18pm On Nov 03, 2012
^^^Mr. Tbaba! Would've really appreciate if you at least attempt to answer my questions,please.
We would still discourse further after the above.
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by tbaba1234: 11:54pm On Nov 03, 2012
I have had many discussions with you and i have shown you why the Quran can not be understood without understanding the seerah. Even after you have been disarmed many times, you insist on following this path.

What is the purpose of your questions? Are you interested in discovering truth or you just want a debate? It is as clear as night and day

"If anyone disobeys Allah and His Messenger he is indeed on a clearly wrong path." [Al-Ahzab, 33:36]

"He that obeys Allah and His Messenger has already attained the great victory." [Al-Ahzab, 33:71].
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 04, 2012
Tbaba, so sorry for going off topic but I just want to ask you a quick question.
I need your opinion on something.
I didn't want to start a new thread to ask for answers because I don't have the energy to deal with people calling me a Kufar simply because I started a thread to ask a question.
Anyway my question is about an Hadith; Hadith Kudsi specifically. I just wanted to understand what this Hadith is trying to say. This is it:

"I am as My servant thinks I am, I am with him when he makes mention of Me to himself, if he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself, if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assembly bigger than that. If he comes to Me walking, I go to him with speed. If he comes to Me at arm's length, I go to him at fathom's length."

I wasn't very accurate with the above quote because I don't have it stored in my head, but that is basically how the Hadith goes.
What do you think it means? What is it trying to say? Thank you for taking time to answer.
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by tbaba1234: 1:36pm On Nov 04, 2012
I am not qualified to give opinions on hadiths but i would give you what i have learnt from other sources.

The hadith is as follows:

On the authority of Abu Harayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Prophet (PBUH) said: Allah the Almighty said:

I am as My servant thinks I am (1). I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

(1) Another possible rendering of the Arabic is: "I am as My servant expects Me to be".

The meaning is that forgiveness and acceptance of repentance by the Almighty is subject to His servant truly believing that He is forgiving and merciful. However, not to accompany such belief with right action would be to mock the Almighty.

It was related by al-Buhkari (also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn-Majah).

"I am as My servant expects Me to be".

When you say a prayer to Allah, you have to believe that He will answer your prayer. If you seek forgiveness, you have to truly believe that Allah is forgiving and merciful. You have to think well of Allah.

In the rest of the hadith, Allah talks about those trying to make an effort to get closer to Him. The small steps you make towards getting closer to Allah are reciprocated. Allah would reward those little steps by coming closer to the one making effort to closer to him.

For Instance, a sister makes the step of taking up the hijab and Allah could strengthen her in that decision and give her stronger faith.

Take one step at a time to get closer to Allah and Allah will bring you much closer just because of that one step.

The hadith illustrates the mercy and love of Allah.

A little effort to get closer is rewarded with tremendous returns.
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by usisky(m): 1:56pm On Nov 04, 2012

tbaba1234: I have had many discussions with you and i have shown you why the Quran can not be understood without understanding the seerah.

Can you please refer me to the thread where we had such discussions? Further, i wanna know if this idea is just your own personal opinion or it is something evident from the quran itself?. The quran that i have in my possession speaks nothing as you have concluded above. Instead, the quran says it is a guidance for all the people(all of humanity); as such, the quran has got to be easy to understand-otherwise , the majority of the people may not derive any benefit from an incomprehensible scripture from God almighty. In any case, the quran readily affirms that it's easy to understand if only we make a conscious effort to understand it and not seeking its meaning from misguided scholars.

[2:185] Ramadan is the month during which the Quran was revealed, providing guidance for the people, clear teachings, and the statute book........

[54:17,22,32,40] We made the Quran easy to learn(remember). Does any of you wish to learn?

Here are some of the claims you have made from before:

1)The quran cannot be understood unless one is well knowledgeable in classical arabic.
2)The quran cannot be understood without the Ahadiths.
3)The seerah is a requirement for understanding the Quran.

Please prove this assertions to me while providing quranic basis for such reasoning.

tbaba1234:
What is the purpose of your questions? Are you interested in discovering truth or you just want a debate? It is as clear as night and day

My reason for asking is to get your perspective on those. I just want us to have a discussion tthat's all. Please address the questions.

tbaba1234:
"If anyone disobeys Allah and His Messenger he is indeed on a clearly wrong path." [Al-Ahzab, 33:36]

"He that obeys Allah and His Messenger has already attained the great victory." [Al-Ahzab, 33:71].

Yes indeed! who ever disobeys the messenger is clearly in error. But how do one obey the messenger now that he is dead?
well quite simple; by following the words(message) that came out directly from the mouth of the messenger inspired by God. Every messenger has a message, in the case of Muhammad- it was the Quran(the messenger dies, but the message never dies). Withoout the message(risala) there cannot be a messenger(rasool). If the people were obeying the messenger, they would realize the quran was the only message he ever preached(6:19, 10:15, 50:45). It is not enough to admire the beauty of the quran and sing songs of it in arabic; the real deal is in heeding its message(the content is what matters).

Please address my questions form earlier post and if possible also(1,2,3)of this post. We will go further afterwards.
you may choose to ask questions too. I think we should start a fresh thread, what do think?? just discussions for a better understanding- nothing to it.

PEACE!!

Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by tbaba1234: 2:05pm On Nov 04, 2012
^ First of all, The whole quran is the seerah of the prophet: They are inseparable. Every ayah was revealed in a given context,

I will advice you to read through this thread, You showed to me that you do not even know what you are talking about, when quoting ayahs: https://www.nairaland.com/909528/al-hakemah-quran-case-hadith-sunnah/

I do not have the energy for Quran only discussions, your case is built on quick sand.
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by usisky(m): 2:17pm On Nov 04, 2012
^^^
Tbaba, Tbaba, Tbaba. Why art thou avoiding discussions with me enh?

Please garner all the energy you can, i want us to have this discussion. You have a habit of avoiding my questions, why?

Even from the thread link you gave, i asked several questions but somehow they were cleverly avoided. I despice having empty discussions; i would expect as i ask questions you at least attempt to answer. I would do similar. Please!
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by Nobody: 2:30pm On Nov 04, 2012
Thank you tbaba.
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by tbaba1234: 2:45pm On Nov 04, 2012
I had a discussion with you on that thread and you showed that your arguments have no substance. I have nothing against you, i pray for your guidance. You are on one end of the extreme, treating the prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him)like a mail man (audhu billah). It is hard to get motivation to discuss with you because the argument is just too flawed.
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by usisky(m): 2:54pm On Nov 04, 2012
^^^Can we just have a fresh discussion?. Don't just give up on me yet....i need guidance o!

Frankly tbaba, i would want us to have a sensible discussion and i want us to start somewhere. If you don't feel like addressing my questions, then feel free to ask yours.
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by usisky(m): 3:00pm On Nov 04, 2012
^^^Alright then. Let me ask just one question. I think it is wise to start this way.

A while ago, you were defending the shariah law of apostacy(irtidah) in "ISLAM" to a "non-muslim" audience. Please re-state your position on that. I want to know the justification for killing people who leave ISLAM?
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by smileyprin(m): 9:50pm On Nov 11, 2012
usisky:

Can you please refer me to the thread where we had such discussions? Further, i wanna know if this idea is just your own personal opinion or it is something evident from the quran itself?. The quran that i have in my possession speaks nothing as you have concluded above. Instead, the quran says it is a guidance for all the people(all of humanity); as such, the quran has got to be easy to understand-otherwise , the majority of the people may not derive any benefit from an incomprehensible scripture from God almighty. In any case, the quran readily affirms that it's easy to understand if only we make a conscious effort to understand it and not seeking its meaning from misguided scholars.

[2:185] Ramadan is the month during which the Quran was revealed, providing guidance for the people, clear teachings, and the statute book........

[54:17,22,32,40] We made the Quran easy to learn(remember). Does any of you wish to learn?

Here are some of the claims you have made from before:

1)The quran cannot be understood unless one is well knowledgeable in classical arabic.
2)The quran cannot be understood without the Ahadiths.
3)The seerah is a requirement for understanding the Quran.

Please prove this assertions to me while providing quranic basis for such reasoning.

My reason for asking is to get your perspective on those. I just want us to have a discussion tthat's all. Please address the questions.

Yes indeed! who ever disobeys the messenger is clearly in error. But how do one obey the messenger now that he is dead?
well quite simple; by following the words(message) that came out directly from the mouth of the messenger inspired by God. Every messenger has a message, in the case of Muhammad- it was the Quran(the messenger dies, but the message never dies). Withoout the message(risala) there cannot be a messenger(rasool). If the people were obeying the messenger, they would realize the quran was the only message he ever preached(6:19, 10:15, 50:45). It is not enough to admire the beauty of the quran and sing songs of it in arabic; the real deal is in heeding its message(the content is what matters).

Please address my questions form earlier post and if possible also(1,2,3)of this post. We will go further afterwards.
you may choose to ask questions too. I think we should start a fresh thread, what do think?? just discussions for a better understanding- nothing to it.

PEACE!!

i came across this thread pretty late but lemme clarify sum fins. 1.The quran is easy to understand in d aspect of reciting and memorzing but surely nt in d aspect of translatio nd inference ,to do that u need to know a lotta things.
Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by usisky(m): 8:10am On Nov 12, 2012
smileyprin: i came across this thread pretty late but lemme clarify sum fins. 1.The quran is easy to understand in d aspect of reciting and memorzing but surely nt in d aspect of translatio nd inference ,to do that u need to know a lotta things.

Here's the big problem: People who say they believe in God do so because they are convinced God is almighty. Now, if that were the case, why do the same people have difficulty in accepting God's words? God is cognizant of and controls everything in the universe down to sub-atomic matter(4:85, 7:54, 31:16). if God says He has rendered the Quran easy to comprehend, why then should one who claims to be a believer in such a God doubt His words?

PEACE to You Brother. By your opinion; the quran is only good for recitation and memorization. One then wonders if the message is of any relevance. The quran calls itself a statute book(Furqaan) i.e a book of law. Of what import is a book of law if it is only to be revered, recited and memorized but without heeding its laws?

Yes, the quran does contain certain phenomenon that aren't easy to translate, especially by people of earlier times. But certainly that shouldn't be the case today. However, i must make this point clear to you: the bulk of the quran contains verses that are straight forward; in fact, those verse are the essence of the message itself. Let me cite two examples for you dear friend:

1)In chapter five verse six of the quran, God commands:

Ablution

[5:6] O you who believe, when you observe the Contact Prayers (Salat), you shall: (1) wash your faces, (2) wash your arms to the elbows, (3) wipe your heads, and (4) wash your feet to the ankles. If you were unclean due to sexual orgasm, you shall bathe. If you are ill, or traveling, or had any digestive excretion (urinary, fecal, or gas), or had (sexual) contact with the women, and you cannot find water, you shall observe the dry ablution (Tayammum) by touching clean dry soil, then rubbing your faces and hands. GOD does not wish to make the religion difficult for you; He wishes to cleanse you and to perfect His blessing upon you, that you may be appreciative.

Here brother, is this verse difficult to understand? This is supposed to be the words of the "Almighty God" to muslims... yet, He gives such straight forward command and they fail to observe it as is. Why? Do they not understand what the above verse means? Well,for me, it is easy to see why the muslims can't observe this simple 4-step ablution. this is because the verse is addressed to those who truly believe in God; hence why the verse starts with "O you who believe".

2)Here is another:

[72:18] The places of worship(masjid) belong to GOD; do not call on anyone else beside GOD.

Is this also hard to grasp? Do you or do you not call prophet Muhammad's name, the names of Imams and the saints in the places of worship? Do you think you know better than Muhammad who wrote down this commandments? Please enlighten me dear friend. You see, i can list hundreds of things the quran says while the muslims do the opposite. The muslims waste their entire lives reciting and memorizing the quran in a foreign tongue that they fail to see the real message of the scripture. By the very meaning of Islam(submission) and Muslim(One who submits), when you fail to do exactly as commanded by God, you cannot claim to be in Islam or a Muslim at all. You must submit your will to God to qualify as such. That's what all the prophets, messengers and all patriarchs of the past did....you should emulate them.

PEACE!!!

Re: The Most Peculiar And Awesome Things About Studying The Quran.. by BetaThings: 2:54pm On Nov 12, 2012
usisky:

Yes, the quran does contain certain phenomenon that aren't easy to translate, especially by people of earlier times. But certainly that shouldn't be the case today. However, i must make this point clear to you: the bulk of the quran contains verses that are straight forward; in fact, those verse are the essence of the message itself. Let me cite two examples for you dear friend:

PEACE!!!

How do you determine the times of salat? Please educate me on this
The number of rakaat.
What is salat actually?
What do we do that will constitute salat
Above all, is it possible for a messenger to be a better practitioner of what he brought?
If yes, can we copy him?
And those ahadeeth statements,are they collected without his permission, or are they falsely attributed to him
The Quran
1. says alcohol has some benefits
2. commands Muslms should not approach alcohol when they want to pray
3. forbids alcohol
Which of these should we follow

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Allah / Fasting On Saturdays / RE: Is My Fast Broken? I Kissed And Touched My Wife This Afternoon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.