Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,871 members, 7,876,314 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:34 PM

Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model (24415 Views)

My Toyota Camry Engine Excessive Fuel Consumption / Toyota Camry Engine With Stripped Head Bolt Issue: '03 (big 4 Nothing) / Freelander On Camry Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by obamat: 4:29pm On Dec 14, 2012
@Sienna,

I witnessed such conversion my mechanic did here in portharcourt sometimes last year, infact it was superb but he used the 1999 camry engine complete with gear and ECU with some small construction and up till today the owner is using the car.
The owner works in bayelsa and lives in portharcourt and the car has been doing very fine
So I am a living withness of what Hilltop is saying.
I dont have the picture of that stuff if not I would have posted it here for you guys to see.
Siena:

Any chance of some pictures of the engine bay? And perhaps a short video clip of the engine bay, with the engine running? As well as satisfying our curiousity, you'll be doing your super mechanic a favour, by advertising his expertise. wink

As for the "speed" at the slightest touch of the gas pedal, that's gross exaggeration.
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 15, 2012
obamat: @Sienna,

I witnessed such conversion my mechanic did here in portharcourt sometimes last year, infact it was superb but he used the 1999 camry engine complete with gear and ECU with some small construction and up till today the owner is using the car.
The owner works in bayelsa and lives in portharcourt and the car has been doing very fine
I dont have the picture of that stuff if not I would have posted it here for you guys to see.

And an AWD SUV became FWD, right? LMAO. Next will be having Hummers retro-fitted with 1.8 I4 Honda Accord engines.

If you can post pictures, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm still sceptical. I just find it hard to believe any mechanic would do such a conversion (albeit a downgrade) yet fail to document it in pictures.
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Ikenna351(m): 9:05pm On Dec 15, 2012
obamat: @Sienna,

You must not have to prove what you have witnessed with any picture, because its not an impossible thing. Some of us simply refused to believe because the conversion was done in Nigeria, by a Nigerian. After all, nothing as good as this comes out of Nigeria. But it wouldnt have been a difficult thing to believe if this conversion took place in the western world. After all, they know better than us. So if they cant do it, who are we to even give it a trial?! Smh!

Before i left East in 2008, most mechanics & welders were modifying and swapping in Renault drive shafts into Japanese cars. They claimed the Renault drive shafts were better designed to last longer and they really do, they claimed. Many Japs owners started converting theirs and at a point, Renault drive shaft became a scarce commodity. When i came to Abuja, i realised that no one knew about such conversions. This goes a long way to tell one how creative and good Nigerians can be: formal education or not.

It could take some of us years of training to learn a particular skill. But for few, all they need to do is to look at it, get to work and the work will be done in few hours, without any training on that job or skill. Though, the gifted fellow still need to develop his talent. We are all gifted. Its left for us to put our gifts into use. A gifted fellow in auto mechanics wont find it difficult to get a job done, which a trained one might find it difficult to accomplish or complete in time, irrespective of level of formal education or exposure. If we have problem with that, turn to God and ask him "Why?". The only difference between the two individuals is that the gifted one without any formal training will have the finished job look untidy or will be poorly packaged, while the reverse will be the case for the fellow with formal training.

If I were to do the conversion myself, i would swap in an EFI engine, a V6 one. Because, i can be able to interprete the wiring diagram and transplant the engine harness, ECU(s) and other EFI components, modify and connect them to work as factory or close to factory. But i guess that would be a problem for those mechanics, hence, they opted for fuel carburreted engine. But there is nothing wrong with a well tuned carburetor engine. A well tuned one can give more than 27 mpg, depending on the load its carrying. But how many of EFI vehicles in Nigeria still average more than 20 mpg? As soon as they cross and enter our shores, their engine management will be abused, such that carburetor engines will get better mpg than them. Honestly, if you ask me, i will tell you Nigeria doesnt deserve EFI cars. We are better off with carburetor, sorry to say this. Because any quack mechanic can easily fix one. But then, this section maynot exist. Because most of us are here because we need solutions to the nightmares our EFI vehicles are giving us after been abused or when our mechanics cant figured out the culprits causing the issues. But, there is nothing wrong with EFI either. It just that we are yet to appreciate the goodies of EFI, hence, the OBD & DIY.

Am not the Op, but am not sure i would post any photo here anymore to convince anyone or prove my point,if i was him. I take pictures whenever am working on my car, and usually post them if necessary. But in this case, i wouldnt. Its upto Op to decide, its his thread. But then, "Blessed are those who didnt see, but believed!" . You can read your Bible, if you are interested in the source.

Ikenna.

5 Likes

Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by tdie: 1:21am On Dec 16, 2012
Ikenna351:

You must not have to prove what you have witnessed with any picture, because its not an impossible thing. Some of us simply refused to believe because the conversion was done in Nigeria, by a Nigerian. After all, nothing as good as this comes out from Nigeria. But it wouldnt have been a difficult thing to believe if this conversion took place in the western world. After all, they know better than us. So if they cant do it, who are we to even give it a trial?! Smh!...

Before i left East in 2008, most mechanics & welders were modifying and swapping in Renault drive shafts into Japanese cars. They claimed the Renault drive shafts were better designed to last longer and they really do, they claimed. Many Japs owners started converting theirs and at a point, Renault drive shaft became a scarce commodity. When i came to Abuja, i realised that no one knew about such conversions. This goes a long way to tell one how creative and good Nigerians can be: formal education or not.

It could take some of us years of training to learn a particular skill. But for few, all they need to do is to look at it, get to work and the work will be done in few hours, without any training on that job or skill. Though, the gifted fellow still need to develop his talent. We are all gifted. Its left for us to put our gifts into use. A gifted fellow in auto mechanics wont find it difficult to get a job done, which a trained one might find it difficult to accomplish or complete in time, irrespective of level of formal education or exposure. If we have problem with that, turn to God and ask him "Why?". The only difference between the two individuals is that the gifted one without any formal training will have the finished job look untidy or will be poorly packaged, while the reverse will be the case for the fellow with formal training.

If I were to do the conversion myself, i would swap in an EFI engine, a V6 one. Because, i can be able to interprete the wiring diagram and transplant the engine harness, ECU(s) and other EFI components, modify and connect them to work as factory or close to factory. But i guess that would be a problem for those mechanics, hence, they opted for fuel carburreted engine. But there is nothing wrong with a well tuned carburetor engine. A well tuned one can give more than 27 mpg, depending on the load its carrying. But how many of EFI vehicles in Nigeria still average more than 20 mpg? As soon as they cross and enter our shores, their engine management will be abused, such that carburetor engines will get better mpg than them. Honestly, if you ask me, i will tell you Nigeria doesnt deserve EFI cars. We are better off with carburetor, sorry to say this. Because any quack mechanic can easily fix one. But then, this section maynot exist. Because most of us are here because we need solutions to the nightmares our EFI vehicles are giving us after been abused or when our mechanics cant figured out the culprits causing the issues. But, there is nothing wrong with EFI either. It just that we are yet to appreciate the goodies of EFI, hence, the OBD & DIY.

Am not the Op, but am not sure i would post any photo here anymore to convince anyone or prove my point,if i was him. I take pictures whenever am working on my car, and usually post them if necessary. But in this case, i wouldnt. Its upto Op to decide, its his thread. But then, "Blessed are those who didnt see, but believed!" . You can read your Bible, if you are interested in knowing the source.

Ikenna.

I agree with Ikenna. I personally do not think the OP would have started this thread if the Engine transplant did not occur and if, at least as far as he is concerned, the car was not serving him well after the conversion. Also he is not obliged to provide pictures though of course the pictures would be nice to see. However I'd rather that we do not use the saracstic tones...
Now the point is not whether it made sense to swap the Engine with a toyota engine or not... I even daresay it DOES kinda make sense... considering all the horror stories we have heard about the K-series Engines which originally came with the freelander. Whether it should be a same engine swap, or a toyota Carburetted engine or EFI engine is purely secondary- probably depends on the expertise of the mechanic in question-afterall another person on this thread stated that his freelander runs the 99 camry engine which is Fuel injected.
That nothwithstanding, Siena's points about catastrophic constructed drive shaft failures should also be noted. Also probably there might be some fuel consuption and reliabilty issues at some point. But that does not change the fact that his engine was swapped and his car is functioning at all.
If you grew up in the East.. like I did, and like Ikenna, you would not be too surprised at such stories. Back in the early 90s, we had a neighbour whose w123 mercedes benz was runnng on a toyota engine ( I really cant say which one because then i had no idea of engines... i only knew that whenever he popped his hood, we would not see the characteristic Mercedes engine, but some tiny engine with lots of cables around which was obviously 'retrofitted')
Also in 2008, i was driving a 2000 Peugeot 306 and at somepoint my mechanic fried my ECU. The car wouldnt start,so I had a team from Autostar (Official Peugeot Dealership in Enugu) tow the car to their workshop and diagnose my car with an OBD scanner. The verdict was that my ECU was fried, and their quote for the cost of replacement with a new unit was almost 200k-which I couldnt afford then. I had already lost hope when somebody told me to ask of a certain mechanic in Coal Camp (kinda Mechanic/Handyman/Artisan Community in Enugu). I did and somehow he was able to mate the ECU of a toyota camry 1994 unto the orignal Peugeot ECU and lo, my car started and until I sold it 2 years later never had any ECU related issues. Even fuel consumption as far as i know remained the same. Mind you this was done without the use of an OBD scanner... (I was there throughout the conversion), All the guy did was take both ECUs to a local electrician, and point out areas to whch he needed wires soldered unto. At the end of the day there were wires criss-crossing all over both ECUs and we had to improvise some weatherproofing with generous amounts of cellophane BUT IT WORKED, AND WORKED QUITE WELL. My Engine rev counter stopped working, but i could live with that. i only learnt recently that its called "piggybacking an ECU"-and he did it without any computer.
Bottom Line;
1. The OP had his engine swapped to a Toyota carburetted Engine, and as far as we know and as he has told us, the car is working fine (we should take his word for it). If he is lying, then its his loss, not ours. Considering my own experiences, I take his word for it.

2. Siena's point about the dangers of such retrofitting should be noted, and if i were the OP, I would discuss this with my mechanic, and also be careful for any strange sounds and sudden changes in handling while driving. I would also be very cautious about drving at very high speeds.

3. The point is not about whether its practical or logical or not, the point is that it was done and done successfully.

4. It would be nice if we do not use sarcasm in discussing issues like this-especially with those who have limited knowledge of the technical stuff behind cars. We were all at that stage at some point (at least I was). In the early 2000s, i couldnt care less about the workings of a car, I was only interested in the car taking me from point A to point B and having a mechanic look at it and fix it when it fails to do so... Lets not discourage those willing to share and learn.

My 2 cents...

t-die

7 Likes

Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by swaggerkid(m): 6:37pm On Jan 05, 2013
wow...its kind of cool i guess i tink its for real
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by swaggerkid(m): 6:39pm On Jan 05, 2013
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jan 05, 2013
swaggerkid: you an chk dis owt http://saldanha.olx.co.za/freelander-engine-gearbox-problems-iid-455258518

The south African online Ad says:

"Having Gearbox/Engine problems on your
Freelander. We convert to a Toyota Camry 2.0 L
engine and gearbox. No more 4x4.Giving you
the same driving pleasure as a Toyota Rav
owner.Costs may vary from Auto to Manual and
from Diesel to Petrol."

Well, the Op could be right afterall.
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Mpofu: 10:01pm On Apr 04, 2013
Hie guy m in SA I've done the convertion my self but I have not yet driven the car , the engine is in it's starting its toyota camry 2l engine with injector system I put the after market engine Managment system the gear box is camry as well the gears are changing smoothly as well I still have to raise money for the side shaft only then after that I'll b able to drive it's possible if you need picture you welcome

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Nobody: 9:39am On Apr 28, 2013
Dis big pictures have refused to fit in here.....pls add me on 26837F4D. Ama share thousands ofd freelander pics....m so sowie for d delay. Cheers
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Nobody: 9:23am On Apr 30, 2013
This is unbelievable!!Some mechanics are quite talented τ̲̅ȍ say d least.I have seen d pix τ̲̅ȍ confirm dis transplant ®ε̲αƪƪƔ happened.hmm

Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Nobody: 9:33am On Apr 30, 2013
At least, this has gotten rid of the pesky Rover K-Series motor. But in retrospect, it's a downgrade, swapping an advanced PGM-FI fuel injection system for a carburettor, worse when it's on an engine designed for fuel injection. It won't help with fuel economy.

And using the matching gearbox means this SUV has lost AWD. I would have gone with the engine, fuel injection and AWD transmission from a Toyota RAV-4, or the same from a Honda CRV, which is the closest relation to Rover.
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Nobody: 9:47am On Apr 30, 2013
D fuel economy is normal. Its no longer 4wd. Bt I don't mind.

1 Like

Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 30, 2013
Awesome! Are you running without an air cleaner, with filter element?
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Marpol: 5:02pm On Apr 30, 2013
Can't they do a neat job of hididng all these wires cris-crossing everywia? This looks like something that will catch fire while being driven!

1 Like

Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Nobody: 8:17pm On Apr 30, 2013
I like it, I like it a lot.

This is the king of reengineering that tickles me.

Mechanic added a feather to his cap, customer is happy, it's a win win.
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Nobody: 10:12am On May 03, 2013
But why are people still arguing on this? I have seen two freelanders converted to camry 1999 engine in Ado Ekiti. Come to opposite Teaching Hospital and ask for Paty. He is a mechanic. He did one in my presence when I took my car to him for gear wahala. I even followed the freelander to a place where they wanted to adjust and construct something for the Engine seat. I followed because I was just currious. I later asked one of the mechs for who did the electronics or electricals, and the guy said, the man who did it will do anything. I think more people are converting freelander now to camry. I don't know why the preference for the camry engine.
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Mpofu: 9:09pm On May 03, 2013
Hi hw dd you make your engine mountings and your bracket can you send me pics if possible tsntuli@yahoo.com
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Fixed: 6:42pm On May 20, 2013
Everyone is criticizing the OP and his mechanic for putting a very old Camry engine in an AWD SUV. Nobody has ever criticized the British manufacturer for designing such a poor engine that doesn't last in the Freelander.

Here is a 1986 Japanese engine in the hands of the uneducated Nigerian mechanic. Yet we run both down!

Please give kudos to those who deserve it.

12 Likes

Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by emmygs: 4:25pm On Oct 21, 2013
hello guys, a little optimism wouldn't hurt, it works cos i drive one presently, no vibrations, runs smoothly, used a toyota 4s engine, doesnt pick like an injector of-course but at least the headache of the range is gone for good.

1 Like

Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by romityl: 3:11am On Nov 09, 2013
My freelander is doing a grt job ooooo.... I move wit it to anywer I wanna go to .wen I drive it n u sit inside u wil b beging me to slow dwn cos mine is a cnvrtble. One door if I open de top roof of de car as I do ones in a while I am alwys de tlk in de twn..evn men inside toyota v8 wanna drive my car.
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by pato405(m): 3:17am On Nov 24, 2013
hahahahhaa.....can't stop laffing! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Best thread ever, kudos to Nigerian Mechanics.

Despite the repudiation, they silence critics.

Abeg, who has valid contacts of any machanic who can replicate this job (I don't want an educated one pls grin grin)

I'm shipping in a Landrover asap, don't ask me why

...The fun and pleasure of seeing this amazing adaptive ''Transmorgrification of the Freelander'' courtesy of 9ja wonder-mechanics is more than enough reason.

Travesty for Western Engineers !

anyone with valid contact should pls drop it on this thread

1 Like

Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Nobody: 5:38am On Nov 25, 2013
I need a good mechanic who can convert too.
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Ikenna351(m): 5:26pm On Nov 25, 2013
^^^
Please, kindly convert your post to small letters or the post will be removed in the next few minutes. Posting in capital letters is against the forum rules.

Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by sultaan(m): 6:31pm On Nov 25, 2013
I have seen a picture of someone getting taken out of their money in the hope he will ha a working freelander with a Toyota engine I have not seen that thing drive on highway.

I will not encourage anyone to put their life at risk like this and that of their loved ones, road users too
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by SIRKINGGSLEY: 9:47am On Nov 29, 2013
Please where were you able to get the mechanic and what type of engine was used for the conversion. Please you may send me these details via my mobile phone 08034774427.
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by pato405(m): 11:27am On Nov 30, 2013
tpacalipse: But why are people still arguing on this? I have seen two freelanders converted to camry 1999 engine in Ado Ekiti. Come to opposite Teaching Hospital and ask for Paty. He is a mechanic. He did one in my presence when I took my car to him for gear wahala. I even followed the freelander to a place where they wanted to adjust and construct something for the Engine seat. I followed because I was just currious. I later asked one of the mechs for who did the electronics or electricals, and the guy said, the man who did it will do anything. I think more people are converting freelander now to camry. I don't know why the preference for the camry engine.

Drop the mechanics number here joor! Stop wasting our time pls.. grin
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by cardoctor(m): 6:27pm On Dec 01, 2013
Siena:

And an AWD SUV became FWD, right? LMAO. Next will be having Hummers retro-fitted with 1.8 I4 Honda Accord engines.

If you can post pictures, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm still sceptical. I just find it hard to believe any mechanic would do such a conversion (albeit a downgrade) yet fail to document it in pictures.

Sienna,

These guys do this here in Naija all the time. I would say that around 10% of the cars on the road here have had one conversion or the other done to it. From a RHD-LHD to engine or complete body or chassis conversions. No governmental regulations in place to ensure the efficiency of these conversions so no holds are barred.

From the look of things and judging by the pictures, the Freelander seems to have already been converted from RHD to LHD.

Most people that have had (or intend to have) conversions done to their cars have actually reached their wits end in trying to make the car work.

The Landrover Freelander in this case has always been a problematic car due to the k-series rover engine design with a high rate of cylinder head gasket failures. Most mechanics here haven't yet figured out how to make it work and owners of such cars are usually stuck with the desperation of getting the car back on the road at any cost even if it means inadvertently putting their lives on the line.

No one ever keeps documented photographs of these conversions because its not considered as an enthusiastic project. Making it perfect is the last thing on the mechanics mind. Its all about how to make it work and get paid. After that, you are all on your own.

Common failures include:

Fast wearing drive shafts and bearings
Excessive fuel consumption
Constantly breaking engine and gearbox mounts
Fire hazard due to careless electrical connections
Excessive vibrations and rattles
Wobbly and wheels and steering
Blowing exhaust pipes due to poor welding

Better to have bought a Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 than go through all this mess.

Car-Doctor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 25, 2014
An old thread but I bring it up to show some stuff.

#1: that you're not motivated enough or automotive lazy does not mean others are . People are modifying cars in Nigeria. Long before I left Nigeria, there were Toyota panel wagons turned into passenger cars. Shalake.

#2: unless you opened this hood you could never guess that a Landrover has a Toyota engine in it. There's no way you can tell. So thumping your chest about how you beat car x means nothing to savvy autoists.

Just as in not judging a book by its cover, you can't judge a car by its badge alone.

I found a picture of my car on an online forum where some tosser in Texas was boasting on how he kicked a a Lancer Evolution a$$ with his civic. It so happens that I was still under the break in period in my car and I was driving gingerly yet this character made it seem I was racing him. I don't race on the streets anymore.

#3: yes people downgrade all the time due to necessity. I don't know anyone with any automotive accumen that would consider this an upgrade. The owner did what made sense to him and it worked.

Stop arguing for arguments sakes, you will learn a thing or two.
Re: Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model by sultaan(m): 8:52am On Aug 26, 2014
At this point in time the owner is bankrupt and the mechanic has move into his new house through his hard work grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Brand New Ford Focus 2014 Transmission Overheating / The Chainless S1 Bicycle Gets Its Power From Tungsten Steel Gears / Mercedes Benz Embeds Entire G-Class SUV In Amber For DNA To Live Forever(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.