Stats: 3,171,184 members, 7,880,691 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:38 AM

What Did You Do To Your Car Today? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Did You Do To Your Car Today? (17124 Views)

Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car / Dodge Charger 2010 Hemi V8 Battery Cable Nearly Burnt Up My Car Today / Can 200k Get Me A Car Today? (2) (3) (4)

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by jpphilips(m): 2:03pm On Nov 05, 2012
Make. Toyota Corolla

Always shaft hose. Terrible.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by r231(m): 2:10pm On Nov 05, 2012
Siena:

As in replacement, where to get one etc? Where abouts are you?

replacement

south london

drives ok but running too much petrol for 1.8 doh
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Nov 05, 2012
jp philips: Make. Toyota Corolla

Always shaft hose. Terrible.

You've done terrible to your car??
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Jarus(m): 2:30pm On Nov 05, 2012
Today? Nothing, just kick-started the thing and zoomed off to bus stop, where my wife took over and drove back home, while I joined commercial to office(cos of traffic)

Last week, spent close to 50k fixing the shafts that got damaged.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by jpphilips(m): 2:30pm On Nov 05, 2012
Siena:

You've done terrible to your car??

Yeah always bursting open, kills the shaft most times.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Joe980: 2:36pm On Nov 05, 2012
Hold it bruv, don't get it twisted. 'thou shall not tamper with thermostat'. I think he meant removing a BYPASS.
andyzoga:

hey bro! do u mean it's necessary to remove d thermostat? i bought same model two months ago and havent removed d thermostat. Pls, educate me more. thanks.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by TableLeg(m): 2:37pm On Nov 05, 2012
Nothing .. It just started crying
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by 18wheeler: 3:27pm On Nov 05, 2012
andyzoga:

hey bro! do u mean it's necessary to remove d thermostat? i bought same model two months ago and havent removed d thermostat. Pls, educate me more. thanks.
No. Pls allow your thermo as it came. I just fixed mine after 4yrs
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by vitality22(m): 3:54pm On Nov 05, 2012
18wheeler:
No. Pls allow your thermo as it came. I just fixed mine after 4yrs
Pls how do i know if my Thermostat is working? As in what are the signs to know if its working or not. I use a Nissan Xterra.
@Nissparts and Siena, I need your contributions seriously.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by nissparts(m): 4:24pm On Nov 05, 2012
Does your temperature gauge stay low?
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by vitality22(m): 4:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
nissparts: Does your temperature gauge stay low?
It stays low for a while. After driving for a while, it stays at the middle
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by nissparts(m): 4:49pm On Nov 05, 2012
It's probably fine.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by vitality22(m): 4:56pm On Nov 05, 2012
nissparts: It's probably fine.
Thanks a million Nissparts for your prompt response. I love reading your posts on nairaland because they are educative and informative.
Thanks a bunch once more
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by yungboss(m): 5:24pm On Nov 05, 2012
car: bmw
model: e46 323ci, 6cyl
year: 2000
Nov 5th.

Serviced car engine using mobil xhp also changed oil filter. Drove to a shop to estimate the cost of repainting (N50k)...fixed my rear lights cos the break lights bulbs had died. Replaced them. Took it to a car wash to clean the interior and trunk etc. Before the year ends, i'm going to transform it.

Make: BMW
Model: E36 320i, 6cyl
Year: 1994

i noticed black fumes puffing ou my exhaust, i think it's the MAF, cos i checked the ICV earlier, and its ok, car runs fine, intermittently idles irregularly but i still use it, i'm hoping to properly investigate it this weekend.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by andy24(m): 5:26pm On Nov 05, 2012
Siena: Hi guys!

Just thought I'd start this thread, where anyone can post what they've done to their car on any given day. It could be routine maintenance / service, repairs, upgrades (wheels, accessories, audio equipment etc) or even something as mundane as a wash and wax!

This thread can come in handy to all, especially if someone has a common problem that was fixed, others can follow the same route to a similar issue. May be worth a sticky. Pictures are welcome too.

I'll begin in a laid-down format.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by yungboss(m): 5:38pm On Nov 05, 2012
hmmm, those legs are scaryy
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 05, 2012
andy24: grin

Saqib (abi na squib) why you dey laff na? wink
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by grimadult(m): 6:32pm On Nov 05, 2012
about to do a job on my 1999 acura tl with 84357 miles. bought the car on nairaland on the 18th of june 2012 and the transmission is dead already,only goes into reverse. has ordered for a new tranny from ladipo and hope to take delivery by week end. also before now had to upgrade the exhaust to a 2way exit with stainless steel pots from remus and an 18inch 5spoke black alloy with 2 inch chrome lips(225/35/zr18)

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by t3ky(m): 8:45pm On Nov 05, 2012
igbsam: Car:Honda Accord
Year: 2003
Engine: v6

This is the state of my car then. Walahi, i can't forget this day.
The useless mechanic turned my car into something else dat i collapsed when i set my eyes on it after returning from a trip. Na cold pure water dem use wake me up. I had to lock the guy up for 1wk for turning my car into this.
LOL grin
igbsam: Car:Honda Accord
Year: 2003
Engine: v6

This is the state of my car then. Walahi, i can't forget this day.
The useless mechanic turned my car into something else dat i collapsed when i set my eyes on it after returning from a trip. Na cold pure water dem use wake me up. I had to lock the guy up for 1wk for turning my car into this.
LOL
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by brojero: 10:37pm On Nov 05, 2012
brilliant thread!

but please guys, let's keep the serious stuff going, shared knowledge is priceless!
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by sultaan(m): 10:38pm On Nov 05, 2012
My brake flush, used 2 pints one DOT3 and the other a leftover DOT4, I know its not a good idea to use leftover fluid but I had it sealed immediately after use and its meant to be my first flush pint.I still have another pint for flush when I change all the brakes Compare the fluid color(it should be almost colorless) and the power steering should be red.

Fluid started very dark finished light brown.

I feel they are all from year 2000.Still have a lot to do on this truck.
Trans service
Rear Differential.
Motor mount
LS front axle

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by sultaan(m): 11:06pm On Nov 05, 2012
My A/C hose had a leak so I had to replace it, and the accumulator added some PAG oil, evacuate and refill with R-134a
pics show hose to condenser, hose to compressor, hose evaporator and manifold gage.

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Nov 06, 2012
Tuesday 06th November 2012:

Make: Audi.
Model A4 Quattro Sport.
Model year: 1995.
Engine: 2,6 V6 2 x DOHC 12V.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Transmission: 5-speed manual.
Drive: AWD.

Symptom: None, just underpowered.

I began removing the engine wiring harness. The engine and gearbox are provisionally sold, so will be pulling them out sometime next week. I ordered a new engine hoist online on Sunday, it turned up today.

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by tdie: 6:54pm On Nov 07, 2012
Wednesday 7th November 2012

Make: Peugeot

Model: 307 XSE

Model Year: 2004

Engine: 2.0L EW10 I4

Fuel type: Petrol

Transmission: Porsche 4 speed automatic tiptronic(AL4)

Drive: FWD

Symptom(s) Faulty ABS sensors, Mis aligned wheels
Finally have my ABS sensors in from MAPCO: Was also able to call in a few owed favors and had my car gone over at a Company workshop.
So today, I was able to Wheel Balance, Align and change my sensors... smiley
also found out today that 2 different brands and specs of struts were fitted to my front end by our local mechanics (i.e my Left and right front struts look alike but are of different specs... kai i tire for our local mechanics o... angry ) so am looking to order for the original struts from maybe the UK... Siena can you be of help??
Anyways am expecting my car back tomorrow... Cant wait...

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by tdie: 6:56pm On Nov 07, 2012
Changed ABS sensor

Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 07, 2012
t-die:
Siena can you be of help??

Sure. Shoot me an email, or BBM. Contact details in my signature.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by captalex(m): 10:32pm On Nov 08, 2012
changed my leaky 1999 Toyota camry radiator to a Double Cell Brilliant one.

Now my temperature gauge rarely gets to the halfline mark even withe the AC on.
Toyotas are just sweet, so is vehicle modding
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Ikenna351(m): 11:09pm On Nov 08, 2012
captalex: changed my leaky 1999 Toyota camry radiator to a Double Cell Brilliant one.

SMH for you. Seriously, i pity you.

What you did to your car was an abuse to the highest level. Who told you the temp guage needle below the middle of the guage is a good thing for the engine?

You just signed a death warrant for that poor engine, with your own hand & money. A double cell brillant one indeed!

Ikenna.
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 08, 2012
captalex: changed my leaky 1999 Toyota camry radiator to a Double Cell Brilliant one.

Bro, if your gauge needle was at the half-way mark, your cooling system was working perfectly. The halfway mark, or 88 - 96 degrees is the optimum coolant temperature range for most cars. Anything below the mid-sector of your gauge is seriously under-cooling.

I started the thread below for this very common Nigerian misconception:

https://www.nairaland.com/1095651/what-does-coolant-gauge-read
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today? by SamMilla1(m): 10:10am On Nov 09, 2012

Toyota camrys are toys. Try one german engin, especially the BMWs. You will see the differences.
I used to travel to Lagos with my Mitsubishi Lancer vboot because its a newer car. 2006. Then i tried my BMW e36 one day. Since then, if i want to go anywhere up to 300km, i will take the German machine. The control, the balance, the speed, everything is just amazing.
And it is a manual shaltung.

How To Fix A Car That Doesn't Start (Photos) / Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? / Trailer Crushes Pregnant Woman, 3 Others In Delta State