Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,167 members, 7,884,072 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 11:20 PM

Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? (15946 Views)

Southeast Governors To Meet In Owerri Over Pro-Biafra Protests - Vanguard / Customs Officers' Residential Quarters In Abuja (Photos) / President Buhari Stands Tall Amongst West African Leaders (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Afam4eva(m): 9:47am On Nov 06, 2012
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by ACM10: 10:46am On Nov 06, 2012
fried-rice:
Only Onitsha could boast of a concentration of tall residential buildings with most of them
barely 1.8 meters apart from each other. no other SE states has such concentration.

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Nobody: 11:05am On Nov 06, 2012
I will give it to Onitsha....Aba is next but not as dense as Onitsha.

It all boils down to competition and the huge desire to make maximum economic gains from rent...

Nothing spectacular though cheesy

And by the way, the topic is misleading....not all part of South East...unless you are saying Onitsha is all that is to the whole of South East which is not true.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Afam4eva(m): 11:29am On Nov 06, 2012
ilugunboy: I will give it to Onitsha....Aba is next but not as dense as Onitsha.

It all boils down to competition and the huge desire to make maximum economic gains from rent...

Nothing spectacular though cheesy

And by the way, the topic is misleading....not all part of South East...unless you are saying Onitsha is all that is to the whole of South East which is not true.
The point is that in the south-east as a whole, people want to maximize profit, that's why they build storey buildings rather than bungalows. It's not just in Onitsha and Aba but in the south-east. But it's more pronounced in the commercial centers.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 06, 2012
afam4eva:
The point is that in the south-east as a whole, people want to maximize profit, that's why they build storey buildings rather than bungalows. It's not just in Onitsha and Aba but in the south-east. But it's more pronounced in the commercial centers.

I've been to Abakaliki...Awka..even Enugu. If you add the high rise buildings in all these places, they don't even measure up to what is obtainable in Nnewi, not to to talk of Osha.

What am saying is the the town planning structure and layout of Onitsha is remarkably different from most other parts of the South East.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Afam4eva(m): 11:38am On Nov 06, 2012
ilugunboy:

I've been to Abakaliki...Awka..even Enugu. If you add the high rise buildings in all these places, they don't even measure up to what is obtainable in Nnewi, not to to talk of Osha.

What am saying is the the town planning structure and layout of Onitsha is remarkably different from most other parts of the South East.
Yes, you're right.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:49am On Nov 06, 2012
Imagine Onitsha and Aba with a pristine road network! smiley

And it would be a good thing if landlords could be forced to repaint their buildings every 5 to 7 years at least.

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Afam4eva(m): 11:50am On Nov 06, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:
Imagine Onitsha and Aba with a pristine road network! smiley

And it would be a good thing if landlords could be forced to repaint their buildings every 5 to 7 years at least.
We still don't have the ideal governors in Abia and Anambra else Aba and Onitsha would have been turned into something good. What those places need is just some cosmetics because some Infrastructure is already there.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Abagworo(m): 1:21pm On Nov 06, 2012
ilugunboy:

When compared with say Ibadan, Abeokuta, Benin, Uyo, Calabar , Zaria, Jos etc.., you'll understand that places like Orlu, Nnewi, Abakaliki have higher buildings. What I however observe is that in those other places they seem to have few but more solid high buildings. In some cosmopolitan cities like Lagos, Port Harcourt and Kano, you'll find more 3 to 6 storey buildings in areas of high Igbo population. Sabon Gari in Kano and Diobu in Port Harcourt are examples.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by ZeusI: 1:43pm On Nov 06, 2012
To enable land accommodation, and too much money.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 06, 2012
Abagworo:

When compared with say Ibadan, Abeokuta, Benin, Uyo, Calabar , Zaria, Jos etc.., you'll understand that places like Orlu, Nnewi, Abakaliki have higher buildings. What I however observe is that in those other places they seem to have few but more solid high buildings. In some cosmopolitan cities like Lagos, Port Harcourt and Kano, you'll find more 3 to 6 storey buildings in areas of high Igbo population. Sabon Gari in Kano and Diobu in Port Harcourt are examples.

Well...I may not have enough data to fault that in bold.

However..there are places in Lagos, Ph and Kano where you can't put more than a story building because of closeness to airports and it's landing-approach routes....but Onitsha, Abakaliki Orlu and Nnewi may not have such restrictions...that is why you have such sparse amount in a place like Owerri
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by ChyjoskyJ: 3:09pm On Nov 06, 2012
Omeleme!!! O ka odi
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by mensdept: 3:14pm On Nov 06, 2012
All the SE cities are nothing but crap, so Ndigbo with all the noise are on the same footing as the crap in the SW, Minority areas, and North.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Abagworo(m): 3:39pm On Nov 06, 2012
mens dept: All the SE cities are nothing but crap, so Ndigbo with all the noise are on the same footing as the crap in the SW, Minority areas, and North.

True they are crap because of lack of Government presence. Imagine if 1/10th the funds used in building Lagos and Abuja was used in Onitsha. Imagine if we had 5 bridges Joining Onitsha and Asaba. Imagine if those federal and public large buildings are added to these self-help developmental struggle.

Anyway my question is simple. Is it forbidden to build multi-storey buildings in other parts of Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Nobody: 6:18am On Nov 07, 2012
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Nobody: 6:19am On Nov 07, 2012
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Nobody: 6:21am On Nov 07, 2012
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by RickyRoss1(m): 7:33am On Nov 07, 2012
musiwa7: 2 of the 4 pictures in front page are yorubaland.. the reason is it show information about yorubaland..

this is yorubaland

These uncivilized dirty pigs from oduduwa asss are really annoying. In what way is the pic Yoruba land? How come other pics are not yorobboer land?
Pls crawl back to the hole where you came from. By the way, its already 7am. So where did you shiiit today? In the bush or nylon bags as usual? ok then, just remember to wipe ur ass and let dem dogs have your shiit for breakfast. Ugliest, Fattest cum dirtiest tribe in Nigeria by miles..

6 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by saintneo(m): 8:43am On Nov 07, 2012
Onitsha is the first, then Aba, other cities in SE are filled with hi-rise buildings. As the OP mentioned, PH needs such development so as to accommodate the population of the future. However, if there needs to be expansion of the cities, it will be good the cities expand into one another form a mega-metropolis such PH-Aba axis, Enugu-Awka axis and Onitsha-Asaba axis.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by AWKAMADEGUN: 10:12am On Nov 07, 2012
afam4eva:
We still don't have the ideal governors in Abia and Anambra else Aba and Onitsha would have been turned into something good. What those places need is just some cosmetics because some Infrastructure is already there.

Who told you that there is no ideal and good governance in Anambra state? Is it in your WAWA enugu state that there is ideal government? Stop being deceived by what your governor is doing because he hasn't even done 1/5th of roads done by Peter Obi state-wide.

I know you have not outlived your phobia for anything Anambra..? Well I will soon descend on you badly like Okija_juju did last time
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 07, 2012
it baffles me how offenmmanus alwaY say SE is garbage whereas they haven"t bn there. a plot of land in onitsha city is more costly than a plot of land in oil city ph. a plot of land outside onitsha city center is equivalent to 15 plot of land inside ibadan city center. #FACT

5 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Afam4eva(m): 10:28am On Nov 07, 2012
AWKA_MADE_GUN:

Who told you that there is no ideal and good governance in Anambra state? Is it in your WAWA enugu state that there is ideal government? Stop being deceived by what your governor is doing because he hasn't even done 1/5th of roads done by Peter Obi state-wide.

I know you have not outlived your phobia for anything Anambra..? Well I will soon descend on you badly like Okija_juju did last time
What's your real username...don't be scared, i won't flog you.

1 Like

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Dainfamous: 10:48am On Nov 07, 2012
kcswat: it baffles me how offenmmanus alwaY say SE is garbage whereas they haven"t bn there. a plot of land in onitsha city is more costly than a plot of land in oil city ph. a plot of land outside onitsha city center is equivalent to 15 plot of land inside ibadan city center. #FACT
u are right

3 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by AWKAMADEGUN: 10:51am On Nov 07, 2012
afam4eva:

Flog me? You won't even be able to stand before me and utter such rubbish unless I will mow you down for real..

This is my real ID. The truth is that you have to stop your bad belle..its weighing you really down.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Dainfamous: 10:54am On Nov 07, 2012
AWKA_MADE_GUN:

Flog me? You won't even be able to stand before me and utter such rubbish unless I will mow you down for real..

This is my real ID. The truth is that you have to stop your bad belle..its weighing you really down.
is he from anambra?
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:02am On Nov 07, 2012
afam4eva:

^^^Hehehehehe grin grin You're on a long thing mate.

I wonder why Onitsha and Aba (bad road network aside angry) look more metropolitan and built up than Port Harcourt the 'oil' capital of Nigeria undecided.

I think it says much about the entrepreneurial spirit of the inhabitants of these cities; you have more individual effort in Aba and Onitsha, whereas Port Harcourt looks more to gov't and oil companies for development; imagine if there had been no 'abandoned property' issues in Port, and Igbos had the confidence to invest in Port Harcourt as they did in the 50's and early 60's when places like 'D-line' and 'town/Aggrey road' were built.

What Aba and Onitsha need now are good township roads and a few flyovers like Port to complete the picture and give them a nice skyline, and conversely what Port needs is more private/individual effort and not to leave everything to gov't.

If things were done properly in this country, Port (for it's strategic significance) should have been a world-class city with skyscrapers and good infrastructure, while Aba and Onitsha would be following close behind.

4 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Nobody: 11:06am On Nov 07, 2012
AWKA_MADE_GUN:

Guys why all these, diff opinions does not mean we should engage in verbal war, Afam might not be talking of the present governor but all the past governors in line,.... Of course Abia governors till tisday are crooks and thieves, why would Aba be in the state it is now when it could generate income more than oil revenue. pls listen b4 u fight.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Abagworo(m): 11:42am On Nov 07, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Guys why all these, diff opinions does not mean we should engage in verbal war, Afam might not be talking of the present governor but all the past governors in line,.... Of course Abia governors till tisday are crooks and thieves, why would Aba be in the state it is now when it could generate income more than oil revenue. pls listen b4 u fight.

I don't think Afam even wrote anything wrong. Why can't Peter Obi and Theodore Orji give Onitsha and Aba the kind of face lift we have in Owerri and Enugu? It is high time this chino11 and all his akas be warned to desist from creating divisions on sentimental grounds. Despite our differences, any Igbo man has rights to comment on another Igbo State. All Igbos are not proud of the state of our key cities and demand infrasructural revolution without sentiments. We don't need to relax because our cities are better than lower standard cities. We should aspire Hong Kong, London, Dubai, Cape town and at least Nigeria's Abuja and Lagos. Imagine if the roads constructed by Akpabio in Uyo were in Onitsha or Aba with the buildings repainted and well kept.

3 Likes

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Afam4eva(m): 11:56am On Nov 07, 2012
Abagworo:

I don't think Afam even wrote anything wrong. Why can't Peter Obi and Theodore Orji give Onitsha and Aba the kind of face lift we have in Owerri and Enugu? It is high time this chino11 and all his akas be warned to desist from creating divisions on sentimental grounds. Despite our differences, any Igbo man has rights to comment on another Igbo State. All Igbos are not proud of the state of our key cities and demand infrasructural revolution without sentiments. We don't need to relax because our cities are better than lower standard cities. We should aspire Hong Kong, London, Dubai, Cape town and at least Nigeria's Abuja and Lagos. Imagine if the roads constructed by Akpabio in Uyo were in Onitsha or Aba with the buildings repainted and well kept.
Whenever people say Peter Obi is working, i wonder what they mean. As long as Onitsha and Nnewi are the way they are, the governor has done nothing.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Abagworo(m): 12:05pm On Nov 07, 2012
afam4eva:
Whenever people say Peter Obi is working, i wonder what they mean. As long as Onitsha and Nnewi are the way they are, the governor has done nothing.

Chino11 is a member of Peter Obi's government and tries as much to paint him an angel. While I agree that governance is not all about infrastructure, Onitsha and Nnewi are however yearning for attention. Let's not derail the thread with Anambra politics though.

What I'm saying is that it is not only buildings that we should celebrate at this stage. Good roads, drainages and aesthetics is needed.
Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by Abagworo(m): 12:21pm On Nov 07, 2012
Why can't these roads be in Aba or Onitsha?

Re: Why Does Southeast Have Most Tall Residential Buildings? by bashr8: 12:28pm On Nov 07, 2012
AWKA_MADE_GUN:

i am from anambra state and i understand what afam is saying, it is not a political attack , it applies to all states in nigeria. people in aba and onitsha build infrastructures and create jobs for themselves, it will be good to have a govt that will focus on excellent roadts with side walk and neat enviroment plus security .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I’m Not Seeking Asylum, Says Fani-kayode / World Bank, IMF Put Pressure On Buhari To Come Up With Economic Blueprint / El-Rufai’s Plan To Establish Emirates In Southern Kaduna Will Cause Crisis- CNNC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.