Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,872 members, 7,980,042 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 01:02 AM

Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? (9581 Views)

My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / Aunty Babyosisi's Token Christmas Gift For An Unemployed Youth / Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Ournaija: 4:10pm On Jan 08, 2013
Aunty and bros for what? We Africans love title pass anything. Since we have adopted European way of life. Calling people by their first names in a corporate environment is not out of place. Except someone is saying we should revert back to our traditional way of life.
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by SBabaJ(m): 4:10pm On Jan 08, 2013
jidegirl12: All Nigerians both on home soil or Abroad, Is it necessary to call your coworkers ( Nigerian ) aunty or bros if you meet them at work especially when it's obvious they are older than you especially when you are in a higher position .

How do you address them?

Pls share your views and opinions . Thank you
It Depends, I Think, On What Will Make Me Meet And Surpass The Set Job Targets. I Don't Even Mind Calling Them "Baba" And "Mama" So Long They Remain Productive.
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by AdeniyiA(m): 4:13pm On Jan 08, 2013
who cares,in as much as my monthly salary is not affected
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 08, 2013
SBabaJ:
It Depends, I Think, On What Will Make Me Meet And Surpass The Set Job Targets. I Don't Even Mind Calling Them "Baba" And "Mama" So Long They Remain Productive.

Really ? That's a different response....
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jan 08, 2013
nigerian mentality, me think people should be called by their names. e.g secretary walks in gej's office and said "good morning Jona" and he replies, "morning lucy how are you today" its fun isn't it?

1 Like

Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 08, 2013
bjcole: We cannot seperate our culture from d way we relate wit people in our office environ. We are africans & naija 2 be precise, our culture commands respect & that u cant rule out, even d most of corporate offices, these familiarity exist & people use aunty, uncles & bros to call some older or senior colleagues. In my office we ve people we call Uncles & madams b'cos f their age. I m not an Oyinbo man & i wil not throw away my custom 4 what i dont understand.

I agree but to some extent tho..... these aunties tend to take advantage of that and mess things up .....usually ....

I respect my elders ....that's how I'm brought up.... but I won't allow no aunty or bro take advantage of my niceness.

1 Like

Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jan 08, 2013
991: nigerian mentality, me think people should be called by their names. e.g secretary walks in gej's office and said "good morning Jona" and he replies, "morning lucy how are you today" its fun isn't it?

cheesy cheesy noo it's Good morning Mr. President.
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jan 08, 2013
jidegirl12:

cheesy cheesy noo it's Good morning Mr. President.
anyway, dat one good sha but him mama no name am mr. president na. when i was working in spa shop in johannesburg, the white man owner of the shop is called charles and everybody calls him by his name. me i prefer to be called by my name no matter wetin i be.
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by nikkyshyne(f): 4:50pm On Jan 08, 2013
We used initials at my previous place of work. Even the boss was called by his initials. 1st name and surname. So you hear names like NA, MO, JI. OT etc. My boss was SOS. I was NA smiley

Even if you are old enough to be my daddy, there is nothing like Mr MO or brother MO. You are addressed as MO. Chikena!
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by manny4life(m): 4:57pm On Jan 08, 2013
jidegirl12:

Lol... How's the Capital City Bros? grin

Ah you're laughing, shoot, the list is endless... grin grin grin grin

Capital City is wonderful, folks are still recovering from the loss on Sunday.
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Stica4(f): 5:02pm On Jan 08, 2013
even in my own place of work it is same issue i wonder how aunty or brother must be necessary
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jan 08, 2013
Elderly Male colleagues , I call "Abobi"

Elderly Female colleagues , I call "Obebi"
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by rubi96(f): 5:40pm On Jan 08, 2013
for people older than i am in my office i add Mr.this or Mrs. that, if you are single and still older than i am , Miss. whatever.
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Karleb(m): 5:45pm On Jan 08, 2013
i dey laugh o (OBJ 2 IBB) at ur coment.
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jan 08, 2013
It is a naija thing
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by anelka101(m): 6:57pm On Jan 08, 2013
no,no,no, you address everybody by name in a corporate organization
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by dayokanu(m): 7:14pm On Jan 08, 2013
Its a Nigerian thing and I wont deny it. It would be hard calling someone 15yrs older than you without the requisite naija respect

I have a colleague at work who is like 12-15yrs older than me and a Nigerian Yoruba man too

Even though I call him Femi or Mr Femi, I still use "E" for him when we talk in yoruba like

"Femi, time wo ni E de office" meaning Femi which time you reach Office

Or "Mo ti wa check cubicle YIN around 12", Meaning I came to check your cubicle around 12
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by damstary(f): 7:15pm On Jan 08, 2013
In my own view, Its nt necesary coz it doesnt indicates dt u truly respect such person. In actual sense, u l c people calin theirselves by name wen there s disagreement.
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Ndipe(m): 7:49pm On Jan 08, 2013
It's not professional at all.
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by sunnyt1(m): 8:30pm On Jan 08, 2013
We cant discount the issue of age and seniority from our society, its part of us and except you are trying to be a JUMONG, u cant change it.
But its wise to be diplomatic in your relationships with people
In a working environment, you are nobody's kid brother, as a matter of fact, in my company, u are meant to address everyone by name: kate, Collins, Dare etc. Anyone and everyone.
However, diplomacy demands that you study ur surroundings and subscribe to logical politics.
Imagine a case where your moving up the coperate ladder is directly in the hands of a few co-workers, and you noticed these set of people are the i-am-not-your-mate type, guys, you better call them brother/aunty, or else you will pray from now till 2050, promotion will not come.
Apart from this, to avoid unnecesary beefing, physical, emotional and spiritual attack, deal wit people in diplomacy.
Like i said, you are nobody's yes-boy, you have the right to call anyone by his/her name.

1 Like

Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by princeonx: 8:48pm On Jan 08, 2013
IYA NGBALI: I call my boss daddy
How many position are you filling for him?
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by smsgold: 7:19am On Jan 09, 2013
debrief08: The only respect I require and give in the work place is:
1. Finish your work and send in your reports without excuses and stories on time too
2. Be on time to work and don't spend office hours connducting personal business
3. Keep your spirituality to your self and don't impose it on other collegues, respect every ones freedom to believe or not to
4. Don't embezzele office funds, use and retire funds appropirately.
I don't have time to accept or give eye service, don't steal money, show up late and not send in reports then start calling me Anty or Mummy, the only ones I actually greet and add "mama" when speaking with them are the cleanersn they are elderly.
We have a first name policy or if you are not comfortable use initials or titles. No Anty or Uncle. Most times I find its used for eye service not actual respect.
On point
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by toprealman: 7:22am On Jan 09, 2013
jidegirl12:

Lol@ #4,
What is funny about #4?
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Nobody: 7:35am On Jan 09, 2013
toprealman:
What is funny about #4?

4. Don't embezzele office funds, use and retire funds appropirately.

^^^^ that's not funny? undecided
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by xty114(f): 11:15am On Jan 09, 2013
It is not a normal thing calling your co worker aunty/bros but considering what is obtainable in Nigeria , someone just has to follow the trend. I use to work in a place where we call ourselves by our first name and later moved to a place where it is a taboo infact the politics going on in this place is worse than Nigeria's own. So, i just have to play along before someone will just go and plan coup for me. Coup, yes, u heard me well, just like the military coup of those days. Sometimes , we will just get to the office and you will hear that one top manager has been ask to go home, dem go come find one name give am, dem fit say na redundancy or retirement but na the coup plotters ask am to go.
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by bjcole(m): 2:08pm On Jan 09, 2013
jidegirl12: Who changed the Title? grin grin NL I hail thee grin
jide wassup? i was just going thru ur topics & i saw this & i bought it out, i m surprised @ d attention given to it now & even d change of topic, i guess d mod did that. Anyway if we both work in d same office, i will address u as Mrs Jide in an official capacity but just within d office or privately, i can adress u as madam or aunty jide, i dnt ve problem wit that. I want respect so i give respect.
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by Nobody: 12:49am On Jan 10, 2013
bjcole: jide wassup? i was just going thru ur topics & i saw this & i bought it out, i m surprised @ d attention given to it now & even d change of topic, i guess d mod did that. Anyway if we both work in d same office, i will address u as Mrs Jide in an official capacity but just within d office or privately, i can adress u as madam or aunty jide, i dnt ve problem wit that. I want respect so i give respect.

I dey o oga ... Na so I see am o grin front page ? I already killed malu for that grin...

Ofcourse same here esp men .... but women oh na drama full ground ......our people can go overboard most times and its not professional. .
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by oyin50(f): 3:34pm On Jan 10, 2013
dulphines: The one that annoys me is Oga, madam, sir, chief etc as used in most offices even mine.
The ideal thing is to address everyone with his or her first name. Apart from eye service, some people just think that if you don't address them with the oga or madam title that you have no respect. Our culture is somewhat problematic!
I beg to disagree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with our culture. Adopting an alien culture to soothe your ego is what I have a problem with. saying elderly Nigerians demanding respect doesn't add or subtract anything from them, so does it not add or subtract anything from you respecting them except offcourse a massage or smear on your ego. Be humble, it cost 0 energy. Cheers
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by tishat(f): 6:08pm On Jan 13, 2013
Hnmmmm a
Tribe in Nigeria still bring their kneeling while greeting to the office.
Re: Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? by dulphines: 10:53pm On Jan 14, 2013
oyin50: I beg to disagree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with our culture. Adopting an alien culture to soothe your ego is what I have a problem with. saying elderly Nigerians demanding respect doesn't add or subtract anything from them, so does it not add or subtract anything from you respecting them except offcourse a massage or smear on your ego. Be humble, it cost 0 energy. Cheers
So what would you say about those elderly men and woman that addresses younger staff oga, madam and sir because they'r better positioned? Cultural abuse or psychophancy i wld say! The titles'r absolutely not neccessary. I hate my boss especially when he prides with the oga title

(1) (2) (Reply)

Your Wife Did Not Tell You She Had Several Abortion Until After Marriage / When Is Mother's Day Celebrated In Nigeria? / How Can I Help My 3year Old To Identify Letters And Numbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.