Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,026 members, 7,933,453 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 07:24 AM

Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad (17540 Views)

CNN Claims Nairobi Is In Nigeria ( Pics) / Joan Rivers Of Fashion Police Walks Out On CNN Interviewer After Questions About / Indomie Advert Is The Best Advert On Tv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by onlineadejoh(m): 12:28pm On Nov 09, 2012
ask4double: U are ban!

U wish! But u aren't gud 4 even a robot moderator cheesy
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by gudnex22(m): 12:30pm On Nov 09, 2012
nagoma: so they missed out the toilet cleaners and the ashewo girls?

Ask them for me.
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by bakusha(m): 12:33pm On Nov 09, 2012
slimming:

Supported
♏ε̲̣̣ too suport am
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Navalsadiq(m): 12:34pm On Nov 09, 2012
M M M: Just changed channel 2 CNN

Still waiting 4 d advert sad
bomb they your head.
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Omobacom: 12:36pm On Nov 09, 2012
Being a cab driver In the UK is better of a Banker or any other job in Nija. My brother travel and see. A trip fro heathrow airport to your destination .. Say like MMA murtala mohammed airport to VI will cost about £80 to 120. My brother convert am see. And an average Bus driver in the Uk makes over £680 weekly. In nija U earn after 30days... Back abroad, Its not be Certification but by your Personal qualification... How best you can do your thing....

1 Like

Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by ignis: 12:41pm On Nov 09, 2012
mob82:
In ur dreams

Don't have a link...just stay on cnn for a few minutes & u'll get to see it.

Which time do they always show it?
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by flexyonline: 12:57pm On Nov 09, 2012
Omoba.com:
Being a cab driver In the UK is better of a Banker or any other job in Nija. My brother travel and see. A trip fro heathrow airport to your destination .. Say like MMA murtala mohammed airport to VI will cost about £80 to 120. My brother convert am see. And an average Bus driver in the Uk makes over £680 weekly. In nija U earn after 30days... Back abroad, Its not be Certification but by your Personal qualification... How best you can do your thing....

Are people still as ignorant as this? In 2012?!!!! Guy you sound like a taxi driver!!

6 Likes

Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Pataki: 12:59pm On Nov 09, 2012
There are always two sides to a coin. More importantly, different ways to view that advert on CNN. Personally am not bothered whenever I watch or come across the advert on CNN.

While the OP is entitled to his view, I rather see it as projecting Nigerians to be hardworking people abroad; rather than the negative image of Nigerians being illegals, scammers, and drug pushers.

1 Like

Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by NaijaNaWaa: 1:05pm On Nov 09, 2012
Wetin be glo? Must be another name for Ijebu garri.

1 Like

Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by ganzydon(m): 1:07pm On Nov 09, 2012
is the not what most go there to do

Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by mejai(m): 1:08pm On Nov 09, 2012
Omoba.com:
Yawns!!! No harm bro. But pls come back home. Okada is being banned in 9ja, we need more taxi or bus drivers to help us in dis chaotic situation in lagos especially. At least, u go get tym dey see ur people. Cos ur last tym in 9ja 4 don reach 17yrs. Great opportunity.
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by dljbd1(m): 1:10pm On Nov 09, 2012
Olamyyde: How does dis affect d price of garri abroad

...lool
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Kslib(m): 1:12pm On Nov 09, 2012
Omoba.com:
Guy,i swear you must buy me new laptop screen and pay me for using grammer to humble my data from 2gig to 1mb....
First bank
Acc number: 4023568974

2 Likes

Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Okijajuju1(m): 1:12pm On Nov 09, 2012
85 - 90% of Nigerians abroad are menial workers. Of you own a newspaper stand then u don hammer.
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Boyoorisha: 1:13pm On Nov 09, 2012
dj187: I think u OP is either a taxi-cab driver or a newspaper vendor abroad

Whatever he is doing to earn a living is none of your buz, as long as he is doing a legal job
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Clemzy16(m): 1:13pm On Nov 09, 2012
Oh! Now i understand better. Thanks anyways..
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Coldfaya(m): 1:17pm On Nov 09, 2012
Ramcie:

Hmm!

My dear u got me loling with ur highlighting d mistakes. Where is Misscorrection pls

1 Like

Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Ramcie(f): 1:28pm On Nov 09, 2012
Super1759:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin you for do like say you no see am naaa?

Darling I tried grin grin
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by mob82: 1:33pm On Nov 09, 2012
Kslib:
Guy,i swear you must buy me new laptop screen and pay me for using grammer to humble my data from 2gig to 1mb....
First bank
Acc number: 4023568974

LMAO!
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by vislabraye(m): 1:59pm On Nov 09, 2012
Omoba.com:

O boy! Mikel fit pay that salary comfortably.
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Nobody: 2:07pm On Nov 09, 2012
@Op: U should be thankful they didn't involve those doing dishes (washing plate) abroad... grin
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by slimderek(m): 2:08pm On Nov 09, 2012
Someone post the video of the advert here.
Haven't seen it cause i haven't watched TV for about 3 months
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by OkwaIfugo(m): 2:23pm On Nov 09, 2012
glo you got it wrong this time.
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 09, 2012
Okija_juju: 85 - 90% of Nigerians abroad are menial workers. Of you own a newspaper stand then u don hammer.

Interesting statistic. I will tell you the truth because I have lived abroad for a while - both US and UK as a Senior Mgt member of one of the biggest Global banks. Your statistic is completely wrong.

All these statistics people quote depends on the type of people they know. While in the US, Nigerians were about the most successful black people I interracted with. There is an annual recruiting event in the US called the National Black MBA conference. I go to recruit for my firm. I can tell you that about a third of participants are Nigerians, meaning a third of black MBA students in most Ivy league and top rated US MBAs are Nigerians.

In the medical field, Nigerians have been sooo successful in the US as well. I have many friends that did this USMLE (the doctors can confirm) and I can tell you that after three years of residency, you can earn up to $180k when you qualify to practice and I have about 20 Nigerian doctor friends who are doing that in the US. These guys are in their mid thirties.

Same thing with Engineers, just go to Texas and you will see lots of Nigerians in Chevron, ExxonMobil etc. I studied Engineering as a first degree before moving into Banking and I have lots of friends out there in Texas who are doing very well practicing Engineering.

On the other hand, in the same US, I have met many Nigerians doing security and Taxi work. Others driving trains and doing other jobs. So my brother, it all depends on the kind of people you know.

My company then transfered me to live in London and boy, there are Nigerians everywhere. From those at the train stations, to security guards, bus drivers etc. Infact half of the security guards in the bank I work for are Nigerians. On my first day at work in London, the IT guy that did my ID card had the same first name as me. And on starting my work, I can tell you that the two most senior black guys on the Trading floor are Nigerians. Infact, in my bank in London, they just went on a hiring spree of young Nigerian girls. Sooo many of them around now.

Another very profitable thing in London is IT. My best friend here works as an SAP contractor and earns £900 a day. He has been doing that for three years. He is thinking of retiring next year at 35. Information technology is booming in the Uk and there are many successful Nigerians here. We had an FSA (Financial Services Commission) audit and the team leader happened to be my friend from secondary school. FSA is the equivalent of SEC/CBN combined.

So please it all depends on the people you know and there are many successful Nigerians abroad. Are there people that do menial jobs abroad? Certainly. I know and have heard of lots of Nigerians that are into crime and into exploiting Social Security and Welfare systems but there are lots doing great things too.You need to remember Ngozi Okonjo, Segun Aganga and several other ministers lived abroad. Names are endless Jide Zlietin, Bayo Ogunlesi, China Onyemelukwe just to mention a few.

I need to write a book on what to do abroad when you get there!

5 Likes

Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Jarus(m): 2:29pm On Nov 09, 2012
error
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by fapcrook(m): 2:29pm On Nov 09, 2012
Etumgbe: I no get TV so I never watch am.
heya sorry oooooo
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by Jarus(m): 2:30pm On Nov 09, 2012
Extrazee: ^Before nko? No be wetin una dey do?
Bad boi grin
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by fapcrook(m): 2:38pm On Nov 09, 2012
Omoba.com:
correct, u are on point. Thats my cousin's part time job. He's a chattered accountant mon to friday and does part time 3 hrs driving at Gatwick any time he needs extra cash on wkend. He is proud of himself as there is dignity in labour.
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by needhelpnaija: 2:42pm On Nov 09, 2012
the same oyibo nor get taxi driver,vendors or ...your argument is baseless...FIRST IT WAS RICKROSE's video now this.if you dont beleive poverty still exist in this country,then u need check-up yourself...because fashola don upgrade your enviroment,you think thats where life ends...nah...go to the slums
Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by chxe: 2:48pm On Nov 09, 2012
Extrazee: ^Before nko? No be wetin una dey do?

na true na wetin we dey do. its actually a good thing so that ppl at home will really know that there are no money trees here...
we do odd jobs here.

1 Like

Re: Glo Advert on Cnn Degrades Nigerians Living Abroad by luluosas(m): 2:50pm On Nov 09, 2012
mob82: I've watched it a dozen times and i come away with a bad feeling everytime.

Glo's attempt to market their top up cards abroad seem to portray Nigerians in a bad light.

My Issues:
Must glo depict every Nigerian abroad as either a newspaper vendor, Taxi-Cab driver or Hotel porter?

Have u seen the advert? What do u think?
I don't have CNN so, I cannot answer you. Sorry!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tolanibaj Evicted From The Big Brother Naija All Stars / BBNaija: Saga, Nini's Relationship Might Be Fake – Pere / Favourite Movie Quotes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.