Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,140 members, 7,903,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 07:30 PM

What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? (6129 Views)

Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate / First Bank’s Rising Loan Losses Is About To Spell Doom For Its Balance Sheet / Online Biz Domain-what Is Your Greatest Challenge Starting An Online Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Nov 10, 2012
If you truly want to be a successful entrepreneur, apply the mafia law in all your business dealings and you wouldn't have issues of friends or family members owing you anymore. Treat business as business and be serious-minded about it and do let all your FFs know that you do not give on credit no matter the situation. This is one of the major reasons most businesses (trading biz anyway) stattted by Nigerian females fail. Plz correct it soonest, wishing u more success ahead!
Imanuelle:

Its really sad.
Some friends u don't wish to loose because of money!

1 Like

Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Nov 10, 2012
If you are an entreprenuer in d IT world, ur greatest challenges are:
- Power/Electricity
- Access to funds for expansion
- Time factor
- High running cost, e.g Internet subsription bills
- Poor patronage... etc
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by 222Martins(m): 9:48pm On Nov 10, 2012
DailyNews: If you truly want to be a successful entrepreneur, apply the mafia law in all your business dealings and you wouldn't have issues of friends or family members owing you anymore. Treat business as business and be serious-minded about it and do let all your FFs know that you do not give on credit no matter the situation. This is one of the major reasons most businesses (trading biz anyway) stattted by Nigerian females fail. Plz correct it soonest, wishing u more success ahead!
I have devised a means to deal with this human factor. When it comes to business, don't get emotional with your employees, family and friends, even customers. Yes, in every business, there are bad customers. Learn to identify them and fire them before they ruin you. I naturally a good hearted person that easily forego debts but running a business has thought me otherwise. Humans take kind people for granted. I would rather be a wicked boss than be taken for a ride for being too kind hearted.
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by 222Martins(m): 9:49pm On Nov 10, 2012
But irrespective of the challenges, business is a painful profit making venture grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by obowunmi(m): 10:04pm On Nov 10, 2012
Inept staff.
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 10, 2012
DailyNews: If you truly want to be a successful entrepreneur, apply the mafia law in all your business dealings and you wouldn't have issues of friends or family members owing you anymore. Treat business as business and be serious-minded about it and do let all your FFs know that you do not give on credit no matter the situation. This is one of the major reasons most businesses (trading biz anyway) stattted by Nigerian females fail. Plz correct it soonest, wishing u more success ahead!

Tnx
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by kodewrita(m): 10:26pm On Nov 10, 2012
warripekin: Yes! interest rate from our local banks are incredibly high. I don't look up to them for loans. I source my financing mostly from Switz banks and from USA. but most financial institutions abroad will require you get them a local bank guaranty from the top 5 banks in Nigeria. The local banks charge only on the BG which is about .75% and is negotiable depending on the amount of BG you are raising. Most foreign financials will charge interest as low as 4% and one or two years moratorium and tenured for up wards of 5 years and above. But you must work with our local banks to progress.

I would really love to learn how to do this. Is there a minimum figure you should aim at? For example for Commercial Papers, you would be thinking in terms of 100m or more.

How does that work?

Its little tidbits of financial intelligence like this that separate mere mortals from the many men&women guiding our destinies worldwide.
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by mrrock: 11:10pm On Nov 10, 2012
The No.1 killer of businesses in Nigeria is the Nigerian government. They do this by providing epileptic electricity supply which also remains the No.1 killer of business in Nigeria. Our government have not provided enabling environment for businesses to thrive. There's no business you can do without needing electricity at some point. And there's no Nigerian entrepreneur that is not being challenged by poor electricity supply.
Those of you who say there are businesses you can run without needing electricity please kindly share.
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by Emmy9ite(m): 11:10pm On Nov 10, 2012
Signing in***
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by InvertedHammer: 11:32pm On Nov 10, 2012
DailyNews: In midst of present global economy melt down and several other economy flaws happening in Nigeria and beyond, as an entrepreneur trying to rise to fame like other successful entrepreneurs you look up to as role models, what has been the greatest challenge you have encountered so far in your entrepreneurial journey?

To guide you, see below:

- Access to funds for expansion?
- Power/Electricity
- Time factor?
- High running cost, e.g. shop/office rent, utility bills, etc?
- Low Sales/Poor patronage?
- Government policies, e.g. the banning of Okada, demolition claimed illegally built shops, VAT, tax officers, etc?
- Transportation?
- Wrong location?

etc....etc...

Let's be factual, mature and business-minded and learn...thanks ahead smiley

Now...my friend..you are talking reality. I continue to hammer it away for those who keep talking of enterpreneurship as if it is a walk in the park.
In Nigeria, the odds are stack against you overtly and covertly. It is like going to a battlefield with both hands tied behind your back.
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by Iolo(m): 11:52pm On Nov 10, 2012
OYINBOGOJU: I went briefly into haulage biz.

The challenges is not environment nor government policies.

The main challenge is lies.

Manager lie too much
Driver has no single iota of truth in his blood.
Everybody connected to that biz are lairs.

I'm only an investor,but its a shame you can't trust anybody when it comes to money iissue.

It does seem that the Uneducated are more prone to lying. Had similar experience with the business. You just need to be hands on.
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by Elise1: 2:18am On Nov 11, 2012
Access to funds is one of the biggest problem, our banks interest is not helping.

So call big companies and big men who you will think are reputable but will never pay until you chase them
like thieves.

Worst of all are friends who pretend that its doesn't matter when they don't pay and still want you to call them friends.
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by Wsdm: 6:30am On Nov 11, 2012
warripekin: Yes! interest rate from our local banks are incredibly high. I don't look up to them for loans. I source my financing mostly from Switz banks and from USA. but most financial institutions abroad will require you get them a local bank guaranty from the top 5 banks in Nigeria. The local banks charge only on the BG which is about .75% and is negotiable depending on the amount of BG you are raising. Most foreign financials will charge interest as low as 4% and one or two years moratorium and tenured for up wards of 5 years and above. But you must work with our local banks to progress.
Nice one. Could you please tell me the procedures?
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by amiskurie(m): 6:42am On Nov 11, 2012
None of the options listed.
I loose 200,000 while trying to buy jewelry frm the US.later in the same year I loose 1.2Million to some crooks and that's not going to stop me.
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by youngboss1(m): 6:43am On Nov 11, 2012
Most people want fast money that is why.
bigx: Human resources - people - staff!!!
Seriously what's wrong wit Nigerians?
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by youngboss1(m): 6:48am On Nov 11, 2012
Pls will want to know more about this and how to go abt it
[quote author=warripekin] Yes! interest rate from our local banks are incredibly high. I don't look up to them for loans. I source my financing mostly from Switz banks and from USA. but most financial institutions abroad will require you get them a local bank guaranty from the top 5 banks in Nigeria. The local banks charge only on the BG which is about .75% and is negotiable depending on the amount of BG you are raising. Most foreign financials will charge interest as low as 4% and one or two years morator
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by question(m): 7:14am On Nov 11, 2012
Most nigerians are fraudulent, including so-called entrepreneurs. Dishonesty and deception rules the day. It is a dog-eat-dog life.
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by blood1(f): 7:40am On Nov 11, 2012
Macro-economic factors and Govt policies. A look at the 2013 budget of Nigeria will tell which businesses will be most negatively affected, eg...the importation of rice, sugar...etc. Every businessman, should be aware of these policies and how they affect business, no matter how little.

For me, the greatest challenge is entrusting your business to 'family'... However close or trustworthy... In fact, the closer the more challenging... You cannot prosecute when they mess you up, because they will...

1 Like

Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by blood1(f): 7:47am On Nov 11, 2012
cry cry cry
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by samfibby(m): 8:28am On Nov 11, 2012
DailyNews: Another challenge most Nigerian young entrepreneurs face is impatience and craze for white collar jobs!

3yrs after my first business failure, I had to try again, this time it was recharge card printing, and anytime I remember it, I feel like crying becos I was amongst the few Nigerians that started it even though I was only a young student, but I was so worried to own my own business and employ people.

I went for the seminar/training during my I.T, meanwhile I was processing to do my I.T with PPMC Eleme PH then, so I coughed out the big money then to buy that small recharge card printing machine and then invested another 30k to load it with recharge card pins of- mtn. Glo, vmobile.

But the moment some of my friends n coursemates I rapport with started calling to tell me where they were doing their I.Ts and how much they were being paid, I lost passion n patience in my recharge printing biz though it wasn't easy marketing it to people, convincing people to buy car printed on ordinary paper n not on d usual mtn, glo, etc papers, some accused me of hacking into mtn system others said it won't enter if they load it n refused to even try so I got pissed n went for I.T and dumped the machine n card with a relation who was also a student n he ran down the biz and that was its end.

Anytime I see cards printed on paper n hear how much people make from it, I get angry cos I would have been a pioneer in it as I speak if I had waited and exercised patience n not just think of going for an I.T to get paid like others.

People should plz learn from my ugly experience then.

Wow, your experience is sure what thinking about
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by ubong560(m): 10:26am On Nov 11, 2012
I think epileptic power supply is d major challenge. I knw of a man who runs ice cream biz, he spends 70 to 80k weekly on diesel 2 run generators. Calculate it in a month and then in a year and see ur result. It's vry pathetic!
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by tope33(m): 12:08pm On Nov 11, 2012
Am in the same biz, n experiencing similar problem, but i scaled thru. Are you still in the business? I would like to hear from you.
OYINBOGOJU: I went briefly into haulage biz.

The challenges is not environment nor government policies.

The main challenge is lies.

Manager lie too much
Driver has no single iota of truth in his blood.
Everybody connected to that biz are lairs.

I'm only an investor,but its a shame you can't trust anybody when it comes to money iissue.
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 11, 2012
That's it my brother
samfibby:

Wow, your experience is sure what thinking about
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by obowunmi(m): 5:32pm On Nov 11, 2012
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned security. Imagine coming home after a long day from the office and being met by armed robbers.

Nigeria is a special case as usual.
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2012
Sure security is another big issue. Imagine the number of businesses that were forced to a shut down by the Boko Haram problem in the north And more...
obowunmi: I'm surprised that no one has mentioned security. Imagine coming home after a long day from the office and being met by armed robbers.

Nigeria is a special case as usual.
Re: What's The Greatest Challenge You've Encountered As A Rising Entrepreneur? by tck2000(m): 12:06pm On Jan 17, 2020
Fhemmmy:

On patronage, you will ave to do something to attract the clients . . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Report: Businesses In Nigeria Worried About Struggling Economy, Corruption / I Want To Open A Standard Saloon / Get The Best Water Ratio In Bar Soap Making

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.