Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,831 members, 7,972,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 12:26 AM

When Things go Wrong [Fiction] - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / When Things go Wrong [Fiction] (692 Views)

7 Ways To Stay Motivated When Things Don’t Go As Planned / She Came with Hope - A Fiction. / Untitled Fiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Things go Wrong [Fiction] by xcalzy(m): 7:50pm On Nov 09, 2012
As I lay on the floor with blood all over…red blood stains all over my body. The excruciating pain was insane. I cried myself for hours wishing that sum1 would come to my aid…I was just 18. My eyes ran vividly thruout d dark room; it was 9:45pm as the gates were shut. Jimmy was no where to be found. I quickly stretched my thin hand in the aim of locating my phone which lay helplessly on the blooded floor. All my mouth could mutter was “Whyy?”. I guess I never got a reply to that question.

I cant tell you my story without telling you about myself. Am Adetiola by name; fondly called Deti by my close friends. I grew up in the sub-region area of Ogun state. My dad being the richest in Aketu-Oja made me even more popular. I was loved by all most especially my classmates in school. I never knew what it meant to be poor; I was born with a spoon with silver coating.

I could comfortably bear the name “beautiful” cos that’s how you would describe me. I was born fair in complexion, average in height, long hair, slim and very curvy: I was created perfect. I had what would make every guy fall for me; my beauty was without dispute. Every one knew Adetiola adeleke. Being the only girl in a family of three was a work load for me, as my mum always tried to create a “workaholic” out of me.

I wasn’t the type that would “fall” for every cute guy i saw though i had a dozen “lovers” around. I had built my world with a sense that everytin would happen at its appointed time( Maybe that was the religious side of me). As the only girl and as an ‘Adeleke’, I was pampered beyond imagination: I had everything. I guess my excess comfort made it difficult for most guys to approach me or rather “ask me out” as many would say. Despite my introversy and years of solitude, I knew I wanted someone close to my heart. Someone that i could trust, love and cry with…someone like Jimmy my Secondary school teacher.

Jimmy Charles was our Physics teacher. Popular called “Jimmy” by his coworkers and “Jim Jim” by my class girls. He was elegant, dark, tall, athletic in build and had such lovely voice like that of a nightingale; he was every lady’s dream. Jimmy was a perfect description of a fantasy i had created as a child. It was new school year and new teachers were introduced to the school. A new principal was brought in so policies were changed which included the removal of “aged” teachers.

I remember the bright cool morning when the list of names were called as all the “fresh” teachers marched in front of the assembly hall…that was when i first saw him. As all the students cheered and jeered at the “new converts”, they were quietened down by the principal. Principal Okoye was a man who loved discipline. He had a self motivational personality; I guess that was why he was brought into our school.

It was 7:25pm, as I lay with books scattered all over my bed. I had tons of assignments to do but I seemed distracted by my thoughts. I had secretly crept out of dinner from our dinning table so as to have my quiet time alone in my room. I was not always interested in long dinner hours with the family. My younger ones; Teju & Akande could spend long hours eating even a morsel of meat.

It was such a cool evening so I wore a little skirt and a petit top with floral design. My hair was all wavy as the cool evening breeze blew across my room from my window. I stared at my school notes but couldnt come up with anytin else: My mind was definitely busy with sumtin….some one. I remember smiling to myself as i stared even harder at my chemistry text book yet i couldn’t make out a word.

My fantasy was becoming more exciting. Jimmy… i could hear myself say. Oh! Jimmy i cried! I hadn’t felt this way before for anybody not even the cute ones that approached me on daily basis. It was some sort of magic, I thought to myself. As I laid flat on my bed with both eyes shut, i imagined my previous day in school were all the new teachers were introduced. I just couldn’t help but smile.

I was quickly brought back to the real world by the sound of my phone. Its buzzing sound and melodious ringtone startled me. I slowly picked up the phone; pressed it deeply beside my ear , I said hello. The person on the other end was cracky. Hello?.. Hellooo?, I said. Still its cracking noise couldn’t let me figure out the voice. In my irate bid to hang up, I heard a voice. A voice I would never forget even till I close my eyes in death. In a soft but piercing tone I heard : Hello, its me Jim.. I froze immediately.

Hello? Hello??. I went numb, couldn’t even feel my hands on the phone again. I heard a hysterical laughter accompanied by a little wheeze. Deti the voice said,
it’s me…it’s your cousin Bryan. Bryan? I said. Br..yan!!! Arggh! I said loudly this time as I knew who it was now. I felt so relieved and angry at the same time. Bryan was my cousin. He always referred himself as “Jim”. That was the name he was given because of his close resemblance to his late dad. His dad died when he was nine years old. Ever since that fateful day, Bryan took it upon himself to assume the mantle of leadership in the family even at a very young age. This made people call him by his dad’s first name Jim.

Detiola; Bryan continued, I will be coming home for holidays this weekday. Just finished my second semester exams, he said. Well, no problem I said. Okay Dirt; sorry Deti, he teased. Bryan was so fond of teasing me ever since we were little. I giggled as he hung up the phone. It was a long night ahead as I lay on my bed with my eyes tightly shut till I slept off.

It was Friday morning, as girls from various classes marched into the assembly hall with smiles all over their faces. Today was the day new post would be assigned to the new teachers. I stood in line as I adjusted my clothes. The green house girls were still in the class room as a teacher was soon chasing them off. They were usually the “toughest” in the school and most feared in Brainswood College.

They were the very girls that brought fun to the school with their usual slangs, mode of dressing and incessant side talks during assemblies. Nkiru, Bimbo, Shola
and Bini were the prettiest of them all. I belonged to the yellow house class were most of my friends were; Grace, Ezinne and Aisha. All were from different background and ethnicity. Grace from Benin, Ezinne from Enugu and Aisha from Jigawa. I had very close relationship with them despite they weren’t as rich as I was.

As the new principal stood out, all the girls from junior to senior were already formed in a straight line. Starting from blue to red house; each class were assigned a colour. Vice Principal Adebisi with her peachy voice began, “Good morning Students. Well, as you all know, we have new people in our mist today. They are young men and women of high potentials and indefatigable desire to see to the best interest of our humble college”. Choi!!! A voice was heard at the back from the green house row.

Everyone laughed as the principal continued. “You know, as we were assigned a new principal and accompanied by his counterparts, we tend to be a school of policy, modesty, decency, prudency and without pretence” Coughs were heard by the students as a scapegoat was told to knee in front of the assembly. “We are a school of integrity and plan to produce good, intelligent and decent mothers for the future.

We are envied by most neighboring schools both within the state and the country in general”. She continued with her speech for about twenty extra minutes as the new principal was now given the opportunity to call the names of teachers and assign each a post. “Bolanle Adegbuyi, Idowu Isangere, Philip Hassan, Chukwuka Iheanacho, Jimmy Charles…” I froze, as my eyes starred into the podium were they all stood. Despite the hot sun that shone, I still remember smiling as his name was called followed by other names.

Each of them were told to introduce themselves to the students, which included the subjects they were assigned to teach. Everything went well for the rest of the day at school. As my driver Dodo as he was normally called came to pick me up from school.

The early Saturday morning sun woke me up as I got up from my bed to use the bathroom. I had worn a bum short and long sleeved sweater as I stayed up late watching a movie on “Channel 24” the previous night. I was allowed to watch the television for long hours only during weekends. I was getting so excited to enjoy the day especially because of Bryan’s arrival. He was my favorite male cousin and cutest of all I may add. He told me everything including his deepest secrets. He usually took me out on long date hours to various places around town. Bryan was generally loved by all because of his caring and humble attitude towards people not excluding strangers.

I had a very large and beautified room with everything a girl my age would want in her room. After I had my bath, I emptied my school bag in search of a CD I borrowed from Grace. It was a musical disc that was just released by the popular Nigerian musician “P square”. Though I had lots of discs and tapes, I mainly listened to them on weekends during which I had time to myself to arrange and dust my room a little bit. I had a maid who did them for me occasionally. As I grew older, I felt I was now old enough to do them myself. As the song played, I shook my waist “north and south” as I danced to the music.

My hair was loose so it flew randomly as I danced. My dad was expecting some business partners that morning so my mum along with our cook prepared a lot of dishes for the “august visitors”. Though my mum had tried to teach me how to cook, but I was fond of giving excuses so as to avoid even entering the kitchen. It could be so boring and stressful; felt I was too young to learn it. As an “omotoshan” I didn’t want to do dirty work and get smelly. Though I wasn’t lazy, I always did jobs like preparing early coffee for my dad, watering the plants outside the house and teaching my younger ones alongside going through their homework’s with them.

Life as the only daughter could be fun as well as boring at times. As the song played on, I could hear Teju crying downstairs over what I never seemed to understand. I could hardly map out his words as the beat of “Danger” filled the room. “Music is magic”, as my dad usually said. He always listened to popular highlife and soul songs by Famous musician worldwide. He was a music fanatic likewise me. My mum wasn’t a “music person” as she mainly loved watching home videos.

Crick crick crickkkk, I could hear the doorbell ring downstairs as Petu the cook went to answer it. Petu has been our cook for as long as I could remember. He was devoted and very hardworking. According to my mum, my dad had employed many cooks in the past when I was younger; all were not as honest or dedicated as Petu. Oga mi!!, Petu said as he opened the door. Ẹ ku abọ (welcome), I heard him say as the visitor entered into the sitting room. Ẹ kun ọsan(Good afternoon), The visitor replied. As I listened, I could recognize the voice.

It sounded so familiar and friendly. It was already 2pm in the afternoon as I grabbed a jacket as I wore it over my blue singlet. I quickly dashed out my room running down towards the sitting room as I saw him. He was putting on a navy blue jean trouser matched with a blue face cap with white tee-shirt boldly written on the front “Don’t mess with me”. Byran!!!, I shouted as I ran to hug him.

We were still hugging each other as Petu returned to his duty post. Bawo ni n nkan?(How is everything), he asked? Everything is fine, I replied still smiling as I played with his cap. Se daadaa ni? (How are you), I asked shyly. I could hardly speak Yoruba though Bryan spoke it rather fluently.

My dad was more fluent than my mum. He spoke it mainly with his business partners whenever they were discussing politics, sports or anything outside business talk. Am alright, He said. Where is everybody?, Bryan asked. Dad went out with his friends while mum took Teju and Akande to see Aunty Fumi. Oh! Okay that’s nice, he said as he sat down on the couch holding my hand. Deti Deti, he teased.

I just laughed as I stood up to remove his shoes. Bryan Bryan Brayn… I said continuously as he laughed and shook his head. I always found it amusing as I called his name repeatedly. The sitting room was soon filled with the smell of pounded yam and Efo riro (Vegetable soup). Soon Petu came out in his usual manner; Oga mi wa jeun (My boss come and eat). Ese(Thanks), As Bryan replied almost immediately.

As I dragged him to the dinner table which stood adjacent the living room, he followed sluggishly as I hurriedly opened the delicacy as it was served. Detiola Adeleke Ki’loruko ounje yi? (Dele Adeleke what’s the name of this dish?), Bryan asked as he smiled. Emm, emm, its soup with lots of vegetable, I said. He laughed as he sat to devour the meal set before him.

He knew I wasn’t good at getting names of soup so he used it to tease me indirectly; he was always fond of that. While he ate, we talked about school and other topics as I stared at him all through.
**TO BE CONTINUED** http://xcalzyzaza.blog.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Things go Wrong [Fiction] by Cuddlemii: 7:55pm On Nov 09, 2012
shocked shocked You had better break down your story into smaller posts.

That's quite a mountain you have built up there

1 Like

Re: When Things go Wrong [Fiction] by xcalzy(m): 7:56pm On Nov 09, 2012
Cuddlemii: shocked shocked You had better break down your story into smaller posts.

That's quite a mountain you have built up there

Lolzz, okay but try read it and tell me wat u tink wink
Re: When Things go Wrong [Fiction] by Cuddlemii: 8:02pm On Nov 09, 2012
xcalzy:

Lolzz, okay but try read it and tell me wat u tink wink

Ok

1 Like

Re: When Things go Wrong [Fiction] by Cuddlemii: 8:18pm On Nov 09, 2012
I'll give a review after you break it down into smaller posts cheesy
Re: When Things go Wrong [Fiction] by xcalzy(m): 8:20pm On Nov 09, 2012
Cuddlemii: I'll give a review after you break it down into smaller posts cheesy

Lol, not fair o. Alright lemme do just dat grin
Re: When Things go Wrong [Fiction] by xcalzy(m): 8:28pm On Nov 09, 2012
Just did dat @cuddlemi smiley
Re: When Things go Wrong [Fiction] by Oluwafunmilayo95(f): 8:58pm On Nov 09, 2012
Lovely piece..waiting for the rest....
BTW...I love the arrangement and graphics of your blog.
Re: When Things go Wrong [Fiction] by Cuddlemii: 8:59pm On Nov 09, 2012
xcalzy: Just did dat @cuddlemi smiley

I have returned it back to the way it was. I don't think you understood what I meant.
The exact way you broke down your I do story would have been better than putting it all in one post but it's all good
Re: When Things go Wrong [Fiction] by dominique(f): 9:55pm On Nov 09, 2012
I wasn't feeling it initially cos of the disjointed sentences but it got better. You call this a non-fiction Abeg which uni has 3 trimesters? Def not Nigerian o undecided.

Detiola; Bryan continued, I will be
coming home for holidays this weekday.
Just finished my[b]third semester[/b] exams

story is ok overall. Lemme leave for the real critics to break it down a tear it apart.

1 Like

Re: When Things go Wrong [Fiction] by xcalzy(m): 10:25pm On Nov 09, 2012
dominique: I wasn't feeling it initially cos of the disjointed sentences but it got better. You call this a non-fiction Abeg which uni has 3 trimesters? Def not Nigerian o undecided.

story is ok overall. Lemme leave for the real critics to break it down a tear it apart.

Hvnt studied in a Nigerian university b4. Its a FICTION. Lemme correct it. Thanks sha cool

(1) (Reply)

2012-the Reason You & I Are Alive To See Its End / SPEAK THE WORD -speech Contest Rules / "Other Than" In Statement Should Mean What?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.