Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,286 members, 7,928,929 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 05:17 AM

CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair (8655 Views)

Julia Pierson, US Secret Service Director, Resigns Under Pressure About Breaches / BREAKING! UK Minister Resigns Over Gaza Policy / C.I.A Director Resigns Over Extra-marital Affairs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by vanstanzy(m): 10:38am On Nov 10, 2012
mercylicious: @times,I get confused with the thinking of whites.
He cheated. He regrets it. He must still resign.
What has cheating got to do wit his job? Except the guilt is disturbing him and he cannot discharge his duties effectively.

In Naija, cheating is nt a crime for politicians and ppl of dt calibre, infact, there is budget/allocation for that -utilities. For every function, there must be utility from d nearest hottest campus.
If sumone can resign for such reason, what are d ppl dt failed to fulfil their electoral campaign waiting for?

Cheating can open one up to blackmail, and blackmailers are so heartless. Even if it means destroying ur organisation they don't care. That's what the Americans don't want either.
Now do u clearly see what it has to do with his job?
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by gbadexy(m): 10:54am On Nov 10, 2012
This story no make sense, did they force him to have extramarital affairs, did the lady seduce or use jazz and he later regain. ed his senses or was he recorded, I don't understand this remorse after the act.
Maybe he did it when drunk.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Singalex(m): 11:25am On Nov 10, 2012
Believe me he didnt purposely resigne because of his extramiital affair,there must be some other story behind it..trust americans lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by thelastPope(m): 11:31am On Nov 10, 2012
Anyone who actually believe this story has been duped by the American government. This is absolute bullcrap! They just came up with the safest story for the guy to bow out. The implication of this is that American government has goofed big time somewhere and need this guy out of the way to cover things up. My big suspicion is Benghazi!

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Nobody: 11:49am On Nov 10, 2012
omosexy1:

Farouk is not a senator - FYI

Then what he is?
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by vizion: 12:04pm On Nov 10, 2012
why do we like pointing fingers at others, we blame our leaders for not resigning when they ere.

the major question to me is, 'IF IT WHERE YOU, WOULD YOU RESIGN'?

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by vanstanzy(m): 12:04pm On Nov 10, 2012
thelastPope: Anyone who actually believe this story has been duped by the American government. This is absolute bullcrap! They just came up with the safest story for the guy to bow out. The implication of this is that American government has goofed big time somewhere and need this guy out of the way to cover things up. My big suspicion is Benghazi!

RIGHT, THE MAN DIDN'T JUST RESIGN BECAUSE OF ADULTERY ALONE. HE PROBABLY WAS FOUND CULPABLE IN OTHER AREAS TOO. BUT U CAN'T TAKE AWAY THE FACT THAT ADULTERY WAS ONE OF THE CHARGES LABELED AGAINST HIM AND HE DIDN'T DENY IT, OR DID HE?
WE ALL WITNESSED CLINTONS' SEX SCANDAL AND HOW HE ALMOST LOST THE US PRESIDENTIAL SEAT, SO WHY IS THIS SO DIFFERENT?

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Gracious10: 12:38pm On Nov 10, 2012
Why am I not surprised? Men will ALWAYS cheat even at the detriment of their life, career and future. Yep, they can throw it all away for 5 minutes of madness.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by drnoel: 12:41pm On Nov 10, 2012
Men of prestige....
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Simplepton: 2:35pm On Nov 10, 2012
lillaowow: How convenient! Now he’s gonna miss
out on testifying before Congress about
the Benghazi affair! Bummer…What unfortunate timing! Darn!
It’s obvious that he’s being REMOVED
to protect the “official” spin of the
story. He can be thankful however that
they are allowing him to leave instead
of him turning up “suicided”!

There will be more to this story than we are hearing today.
The truth will start to come out after the dust settles.
Why 'resign' at this time? Is this the first adulterous
act he has ever committed, at 60?
Those positions are politicized, and occupants become sacrificial
lambs of the State. Remember Collin Powell?
May be these 4-star generals are difficult to eliminate, so they
will be forced to resign, and then be gagged for some time.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by true2god: 2:47pm On Nov 10, 2012
omosexy1:

This does not alter the point the guy was making. U can correct him if he's wrong. I want to believe that u understand too well the point the guy was makin.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by AkinDavid2: 3:12pm On Nov 10, 2012
Lead Vocal: Public Office na my Father's right oo, eh! eh!! how you wan make i resign on top say i befriend somebody.
Chorus: I be black man from Niger, i no be obodo oyinbo!!
grin grin grin
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by KayDee4: 3:24pm On Nov 10, 2012

I think he can still be subpoenaed to come and testify.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by armyofone(m): 3:31pm On Nov 10, 2012
To Sum it:

The United State Military code don't allow cheating on your spouse. Simple!
You cheat and you are caught, you are a goner. He did the right thing but coming out of the closet.
Worst when you are in leadership position.

1 Like

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 10, 2012
Lmao... He knew he was going to get fired, I guess that was why he acted before Obama...

The extramarital affair nonsense is for the birds like the poster above me...
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 10, 2012
He resigned! Extra marital is just a flimsy excuse. Langley needed him out. He under performed as D/CIA. Bengazi was not reactionary, it was predictable, and he slept on the job.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 10, 2012
Billyonaire: He resigned! Extra marital is just a flimsy excuse. Langley needed him out. He under performed as D/CIA. Bengazi was not reactionary, it was predictable, and he slept on the job.

Well said. Extra Marital affairs are just flimsy excuse
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by vizion: 6:12pm On Nov 10, 2012
vanstanzy:

RIGHT, THE MAN DIDN'T JUST RESIGN BECAUSE OF ADULTERY ALONE. HE PROBABLY WAS FOUND CULPABLE IN OTHER AREAS TOO. BUT U CAN'T TAKE AWAY THE FACT THAT ADULTERY WAS ONE OF THE CHARGES LABELED AGAINST HIM AND HE DIDN'T DENY IT, OR DID HE?
WE ALL WITNESSED CLINTONS' SEX SCANDAL AND HOW HE ALMOST LOST THE US PRESIDENTIAL SEAT, SO WHY IS THIS SO DIFFERENT?

Clinton nearly lost the seat cause he committed perjury, which is a criminal offense.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by deolumike(m): 6:43pm On Nov 10, 2012
okpara ugo:

Professor Barth Nnaji did such for reasons flimpsier than this.
. Yeah. Isolated case and a rare exception. He's earned respect for that
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Elise1: 6:46pm On Nov 10, 2012
Hope Nigerian politician will someday act like this
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by lastpage: 6:57pm On Nov 10, 2012
Gracious10: Why am I not surprised? Men will ALWAYS cheat even at the detriment of their life, career and future. Yep, they can throw it all away for 5 minutes of madness.

I paused and read the "bolded" again! TRUE THAT, all the same! shocked shocked

Again, this goes to show that "Men are genetically wired to have more than one "sexual accomplice"!

Call it wife, concubine, extra-marital affairs or whatever, it all boils down to the same outcome!

I am sure, just like most men that "denigrate other men with multiple wives/sex partners", this "responsible" 4-Star General would have in the past, denigrated some other men that "have been CAUGHT" with another woman, apart from their "legal wife"!

Now, HE IS CAUGHT! grin grin ......and a very lofty career, family and future is put into jeopardy!

Everybody na Barau...... those that "get caught" be the thieves! grin grin grin

If that is the case, does it not make "more sense" to ACCEPT REALITY AND LET MEN DO IT LEGITIMATELY WITHIN AN "ACCEPTABLE FRAMEWORK"?

If all the laws and opprobium associated with 'away game' has NOT stopped it ...except destroy career, lives, family and future, why are we so vehemently opposed to "an alternative reasoning"?

Does it have to do with our penchant for hypocrisy (as in some "saint men"wink and "unbridled selfishness and centered-ness" (as in most women, if not all women)?

This is a very difficult "hypothesis" am making and l dont take it lightly (so dont blow your fuse unnecessarily! grin ) but it seems the "behavior" has been with man from creation.... and it aint going away, no matter the level of "loss or punishment"!

What "options" does the "world/society" have?
What options do MEN have?
What options do women have?

Lastpage!

Caveat: this is nothing personal ...just thinking aloud, ...a 'deep thought' for that matter! wink
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by linearity: 6:58pm On Nov 10, 2012

Congress has the power to subpoena anyone to testify before it. They do not have to head any department. The fact that he resigned does not prevent congress from calling him to testify if they think his testimony is vital and they can not get that info through any other means.

The fact that, congress have de-invited him from coming to testify does not meaning anything and there is no conspiracy about it.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Farouksenior: 8:23pm On Nov 10, 2012
grin
omosexy1:

......una funi oo..y una de call ♍Ɣ name ni?
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by shuddyy: 8:56pm On Nov 10, 2012
His resignation has nothing to do with any extra marital affair. I see it has 'means to an end',another CIA operation, deception at work. I think they are trying to wane the spotlight on Benghazi or another issue.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Frazy(f): 8:51am On Nov 11, 2012
Men are only as faithful as their options.
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Abrantie: 4:44pm On Nov 11, 2012
Petraeus Resignation: Harassing Emails Led to FBI Prob

(WASHINGTON) — The FBI investigation that led to the resignation of CIA Director David Petraeus started with a complaint several months ago that Paula Broadwell, his biographer and paramour, was sending harassing emails to a third person, a U.S. official told The Associated Press.

FBI agents discovered exchanges between Broadwell, a West Point graduate and Army Reserve officer, and Petraeus, the retired four-star general who commanded troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, that revealed they were having an affair, according to the official.

Investigators said the emails raised the possibility of security breaches that needed to be addressed directly with Petraeus because his emails in the matter were in most instances from a personal account, rather than his CIA one.

Details about the third person were not immediately available.

(MORE: The Military Legacy of David Petraeus)

The official was not authorized to publicly discuss about the investigation and spoke about the probe only on condition of anonymity.

The sudden and unexpected end of a career that many thought might culminate in a run for the presidency came on Friday. Petraeus admitted to an extramarital affair in tendering his resignation, which President Barack Obama accepted.

Petraeus’ deputy, Michael Morell, will serve as acting director, Obama said. Morell was the key CIA aide in the White House to President George W. Bush during the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

The change in leadership is taking place as the administration and the CIA struggle to defend security and intelligence lapses before the Sept. 11 attack that killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three others Americans. It was an issue during the presidential campaign that ended with Obama’s re-election Tuesday.

Petraeus, who turned 60 on Wednesday, has been married for 38 years to Holly Petraeus; they met when he was a cadet at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. She was the daughter of the academy superintendent. They have two children, and their son led an infantry platoon in Afghanistan.

The retired general told CIA employees in a statement that he was guilty of “extremely poor judgment” in engaging in the affair. “Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours.” He said he had offered his resignation to Obama on Thursday and the president accepted it Friday.

(MORE: Petraeus Stumbles Off the Stage)

Administration officials said the White House was first notified about the Petraeus affair on Wednesday, the day after the election. Obama, who returned to the White House that evening after spending Election Day in Chicago, wasn’t informed until Thursday morning.

For the director of the CIA, being engaged in an extramarital affair is considered a serious breach of security and a counterintelligence threat. If a foreign government had learned of the affair, the reasoning goes, Petraeus or Broadwell could have been blackmailed or otherwise compromised. Military justice considers conduct such as an extramarital affair to be possible grounds for court-martial.

Failure to resign also could create the perception for the rank and file that such behavior is acceptable.

Petraeus, who became CIA director in September 2011, was known as a shrewd thinker and hard-charging competitor.

In the preface to “All In: The Education of General David Petraeus,” published by Penguin in January, Broadwell said she first met Petraeus in the spring of 2006. She was a graduate student at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard, and he was visiting the university to discuss his experiences in Iraq and a new counterinsurgency manual he was working on.

In 2008, she wrote, she was pursuing a Ph.D. in public policy and embarking on a case study of Petraeus’ leadership. After Obama put Petraeus in charge in Afghanistan in 2010, Broadwell decided to expand her research into an authorized biography.

(MORE:Reporters Want Petraeus to Be President Real Bad)

Broadwell made many trips to Afghanistan, with unprecedented access to Petraeus, and also spent time with his commanders across the country. When Petraeus took the job at the CIA, she remained in close contact with him, sometimes invited to his office for events like his meeting with Hollywood actress Angelina Jolie.

With the book done, she told friends she had been concentrating on turning part of her research on Petraeus into a dissertation, to complete her doctorate.

Petraeus, in his email, told his CIA employees that he treasured his work with them “and I will always regret the circumstances that brought that work with you to an end.”

Other CIA directors have resigned under unflattering circumstances. CIA Director Jim Woolsey left over the discovery of a KGB mole, and John Deutch left after the revelation that he had kept classified information on his home computer.

Before Obama brought Petraeus to the CIA, Petraeus was credited with salvaging the U.S. war in Iraq.

President George W. Bush sent Petraeus to Iraq in February 2007, at the peak of sectarian violence, to turn things around as head of U.S. forces. He oversaw an influx of 30,000 U.S. troops and moved troops out of big bases so they could work more closely with Iraqi forces scattered throughout Baghdad.

Petraeus’ success was credited with paving the way for the eventual U.S. withdrawal.

After Iraq, Bush made Petraeus commander of U.S. Central Command, overseeing all U.S. military operations in the greater Middle East, including Afghanistan and Pakistan.

When the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, was relieved of duty in June 2010 for comments in a magazine story, Obama asked Petraeus to take over in Kabul and the general quickly agreed.

In the months that followed, Petraeus helped lead the push to add more U.S. troops to that war and dramatically boost the effort to train Afghan soldiers and police.

Morell had served as deputy director since May 2010, after holding a number of top roles, including director for the agency’s analytical arm, which helps feed intelligence into the president’s daily brief. He also worked as an aide to former CIA Director George Tenet.

By KIMBERLY DOZIER and PETE YOST

http://nation.time.com/2012/11/10/petraeus-resignation-harassing-emails-led-to-fbi-probe/?xid=gonewsedit&google_editors_picks=true
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Callotti: 6:35pm On Nov 11, 2012
A lesson for those 'newly-weds' who love to make mouth like 'my husband' can't do this. . .'my wife' can't do that!
To get married na the easy part. . . na to stay married be the wahala especially after MANY YEARS OF MARRIAGE after going STALE! cheesy

NO DIE-VORCE O! HOLY NWENJES, PLEASE TAKE NOTE! grin
If the FBI had not uncovered the 'exchanges'. . . . .he would not have resigned!
Can this happen in Africa? wink
Even Jacob Zuma of South Africa. . . charged with ra-p-e and a with a long-standing pedo-phile record is still the president of SA!
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by InvertedHammer: 5:57am On Nov 12, 2012
I was going to castigate the General until I saw the pictures of his wife...I refuse to comment

Compare with the mistress

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by InvertedHammer: 6:07am On Nov 12, 2012
I was going to castigate the General until I saw the pictures of his wife...I refuse to comment

Compare with mistress

Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by AfroBlue(m): 4:24am On Nov 13, 2012
update

A Covert Affair:
Petraeus Caught in the Honeypot?

by Justin Raimondo, November 12, 2012

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2012/11/11/a-covert-affair-petraeus-caught-in-the-honeypot/
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by Nobody: 6:18am On Nov 13, 2012
Frazy: Men are only as faithful as their options.

How do you mean?

Don't you think that's a blanket statement, no? undecided
Re: CIA Director Resigns Over Extramarital Affair by armyofone(m): 4:10pm On Nov 13, 2012
Petraus wife- she was really beautiful when she was younger. Please give her a break. She is 60 for crying out loud and Paula is 40.
I pity Holly. she went through so much, imagine moves all the time, deployments, travels, army spouse engagements, her children, homefront etc and you complain of how she looks?

The story is becoming juicer. Paula, Allen, David and Jill ummm. They will be the first to carry bible on sunday ^smh^

InvertedHammer: I was going to castigate the General until I saw the pictures of his wife...I refuse to comment

Compare with mistress

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

USA Female Soldiers Go Viral - Twerking On The Way To IRAN WAR!! / Inside The £8 Million Mansion Where Robert Mugabe Used To Live / Israel-Hamas Ceasefire Extended By Two Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.