Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,305 members, 7,910,588 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 12:34 PM

Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage (2295 Views)

Is Church Marriage Biblical? / Nigerian Fake Pastors And Church Business Exposed / Obedience and church work! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 10, 2012
Traditional marriage to me just means an approval from the parents of the bride and payment of dowry to the brides family. This alone to me qualifies as being married. Why then must a man not be allowed to sleep with his wife after that has been done.

What gives the church the sole right to make a man and woman husband and wife. I believe that as long as the parents of the bride have handed her over to you, she becomes yours.

Aside the issue of church blessing, church marriage is a mere formality.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:45am On Nov 10, 2012
Traditional marriage is the ONLY way to confirm a marriage. it depends on the custom of your respective tribal group.

Nigerians must stop doing these curch mariages. it is useless and a waste of money. the church came just 100-200 yrs back. they have no right to confirm any marriage, not even that of an animal. unless anyone is trying to imply that all our ancestors, for 1000s of years were all b.astards and illegitimate children, since they didnt do church marriage. that is jsut bull****. angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by okeyxyz(m): 7:56am On Nov 10, 2012
Traditional marriage is perfectly legal. Once a man and woman formally declare themselves to be husband and wife in the presence of authority, then the marriage is complete. simple. If you want to add church(also an authority) formality to it, then it's up to you.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by ijawkid(m): 8:19am On Nov 10, 2012
teeo: Traditional marriage to me just means an approval from the parents of the bride and payment of dowry to the brides family. This alone to me qualifies as being married. Why then must a man not be allowed to sleep with his wife after that has been done.

What gives the church the sole right to make a man and woman husband and wife. I believe that as long as the parents of the bride have handed her over to you, she becomes yours.

Seconded....
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:20am On Nov 10, 2012
ijawkid:

Seconded....

wow i cant believe! shocked grin
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Boomark(m): 8:31am On Nov 10, 2012
Once their is an agreement in the presence both parents that they want to marry each other and every other thing done that day...they now husband and wife.

Traditional or church marriage are mere celebration.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 10, 2012
Boomark: Once their is an agreement in the presence both parents that they want to marry each other and every other thing done that day...they now husband and wife.

what about the sigma that people who didnt do church wedding experience. Is it a sin not wed in the church?
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by lecturerdabo(m): 10:25am On Nov 10, 2012
teeo:

what about the sigma that people who didnt do church wedding experience. Is it a sin not wed in the church?

RUBBISH OF THE HIGHEST ORDER!
I did church wedding but to say without it you are a sinner, very cry cry cry cry Lets pls stop fooling ourselves with this borrowed culture.

WHERE IN THE BIBLE IS MARRIAGE CHURCH BUSINESS? JESUS WAS A GUEST AT THE CANA WEDDING NOT OFFICIATING PRIEST!

Well Nigerians like copy copy that's why gay marriage and lesbianism is also being openly advertised on NairaLand angry angry angry
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by ijawkid(m): 11:56am On Nov 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

wow i cant believe! shocked grin

Why ??
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by ijawkid(m): 11:59am On Nov 10, 2012
teeo:

Its not a sin...

Infact Church wedding was borrowed from the whites...

I still can't understand why we get ourselves worried about church weddings in african.....

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:16pm On Nov 10, 2012
ijawkid:

Why ??

nothing. i just remembered this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1037632/question-ijawkid
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by ijawkid(m): 12:29pm On Nov 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

nothing. i just remembered this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1037632/question-ijawkid

Lol....

That funny thread.......

On that thread you were encouraging me to worship the IJAW gods.......
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Boomark(m): 12:53pm On Nov 10, 2012
teeo:

If you wear knicker in a society where everybody wears pant(sister to boxers not trousers) to wherever they go, you will feel awkward.

The most important thing is knowing if it is right to wear knicker. Those that say church wedding is a must are forming their personal opinion.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Horus(m): 1:26pm On Nov 10, 2012
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by engrtee(f): 3:59pm On Nov 10, 2012
In catholic church 2dy,u must do traditional mariage b4 church mariage
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 10, 2012
engrtee: In catholic church 2dy,u must do traditional mariage b4 church mariage

Then whats the need for the church wedding when they know how important Traditional marriage is?

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:37pm On Nov 10, 2012
im telling you, there is no need.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
im telling you, there is no need.

What are your reasons for this statement, Mr Pagan
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by CrazyMan(m): 6:13pm On Nov 10, 2012
teeo: Traditional marriage to me just means an approval from the parents of the bride and payment of dowry to the brides family. This alone to me qualifies as being married. Why then must a man not be allowed to sleep with his wife after that has been done.

Very true.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:52pm On Nov 10, 2012
teeo:

What are your reasons for this statement, Mr Pagan

PAGAN 9JA:
Traditional marriage is the ONLY way to confirm a marriage. it depends on the custom of your respective tribal group.

Nigerians must stop doing these curch mariages. it is useless and a waste of money. the church came just 100-200 yrs back. they have no right to confirm any marriage, not even that of an animal. unless anyone is trying to imply that all our ancestors, for 1000s of years were all b.astards and illegitimate children, since they didnt do church marriage. that is jsut bull****. angry angry angry angry

and also it is an institution of man-worship.

and also what business do foreigners have in deciding we are married or not? it would be a different matter if we were slaves in the americas and our slave-master decided on our marriage.

As AFricans, dont we even have this basic human right to decide on our marriage? why should a foreign institution decide on that too angry
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Boomark(m): 6:57pm On Nov 10, 2012
teeo:

Then whats the need for the church wedding when they know how important Traditional marriage is?

That is called extra curricular marriages.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by ayemko: 12:14pm On Mar 28, 2013
i regret not stoping at the traditionalwedding alone.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Goshen360(m): 1:13pm On Mar 28, 2013
There's absolutely no scriptures that says a Christian MUST adhere to a particular type of marriage, not even the church marriage. Whatever marriage anyone desires, let him\her go ahead - we do not have a 'law' to follow that it must be done in church to be valid or acceptable.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Ishilove: 1:22pm On Mar 28, 2013
Boomark: Once their is an agreement in the presence both parents that they want to marry each other and every other thing done that day...they now husband and wife.

Nay, I disagree. Even if there is an agreement to marry in the presence of both parents, but the bride price hasn't been paid, you are not yet husband and wife.

Where I come from, once the bride price is paid the marriage becomes legal. The rest become mere formality. Personally, I doubt if I will do a church wedding.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Ishilove: 1:35pm On Mar 28, 2013
Goshen360: There's absolutely no scriptures that says a Christian MUST adhere to a particular type of marriage, not even the church marriage. Whatever marriage anyone desires, let him\her go ahead - we do not have a 'law' to follow that it must be done in church to be valid or acceptable.
Goshen, I am still awaiting the ring o. Mere 5000 dollars ring is taking so long to deliver. angry

1 Like

Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by naptu2: 2:13pm On Mar 28, 2013
Ishilove:
Nay, I disagree. Even if there is an agreement to marry in the presence of both parents, but the bride price hasn't been paid, you are not yet husband and wife.

Where I come from, once the bride price is paid the marriage becomes legal. The rest become mere formality. Personally, I doubt if I will do a church wedding.

What happens in a society where bride price is not required?
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by tobechi20(m): 2:14pm On Mar 28, 2013
traditinal mariage is a pre requisite b4 church mariage

but i dont like the idea of making ch0rch wedding compulsory.i rate traditional wedding above church weding
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Nobody: 2:42pm On Mar 28, 2013
tobechi20: traditinal mariage is a pre requisite b4 church mariage

but i dont like the idea of making ch0rch wedding compulsory.i rate traditional wedding above church weding

I agree with you, Church wedding to me is like a western tradition which they themselves seem to have kind off forgotten. Our own legal agreement is the traditional marriage and thats what i feel God approves more.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by naptu2: 3:04pm On Mar 28, 2013
Registry?
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by Ishilove: 3:45pm On Mar 28, 2013
naptu2: Registry?
Registry is a must. It wasn't popular in the past, but women are now wiser. In case you mess up in future, I can drag you to court and sue the shirt of your back. grin
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by naptu2: 3:49pm On Mar 28, 2013
Therefore, people can decide to forego church wedding without suffering any consequences, they cann decide to forego traditional marriage without suffering any consequences, but if they decide to forego registry. . . . .consequences.
Re: Traditional Marriage And Church Marriage by wazobiaforu(m): 3:54pm On Mar 28, 2013
Traditional marriage is only marriage that God endorse and others are meri making and country law

(1) (2) (Reply)

I'm Confused About Jesus :-[ / Would you spare an atheist robot? / Will The Church Go Through The Tribulation? Part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.