Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,331 members, 7,907,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 03:03 PM

Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote (2847 Views)

Senator Buruji Kashamu And His Security Men At An Event. / Governor Ajimobi Playing Draft With His Security Aide (Photo) / Ambode & His Security Chiefs On Early Morning Patrol In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by subice(m): 9:05pm On Feb 04, 2008
I have to agree with Kobojunkie. In my opinion as well, things aren't as complex and difficult to fix as we are made to believe. I believe it is possible for Nigeria to have adequate power suplpy by the start of 2010 at most if the government was really determined. Yes he hasn't spent his security votes and so what. It's commendable but nothing to be celebrated in my view. There are a lot of needs to be met and which would be duly celebrated when achieved, those are the things that really matter at the end of the day. The pace of the current government is not half of what Nigeria needs. Yes, Nigeria has been messed up over 47 years, that's even the more reason we need a fast-paced, but thorough government. Tell me, what's the use of $50bn or whatever it is in the reserves if things are still as they are. Don't be deceived by the government, if only you knew the resources Nigeria really has compared to what you hear about. It is possible to turn this country into a well-performing economy in 10 years. We need someone who really wants the job for the right reasons, who is a good leader and is firm in purpose. Such a person would choose the right sort of people in his cabinet and the changes will be seen. However, I don't know when such a leader would get the post.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Lady2(f): 12:03am On Feb 05, 2008
@ Subcise

I agree with u that power supply can be generated by the year 2010 which will be 2 years after Yar'Adua is in office, but within 8 months, NO!!!
I don't agree however, that rush rush will leave us with positive results. If we rush things there will be vital mistakes, there will stones left unturned. Yes things can be accomplished in a timely matter, but for it to be rushed absolutely Not. Some things cannot be rushed anyway.

You say that it is possible to turn the country into a well performing economy in 10 years (Yar'Adua will be out by then), I agree but some people are expecting power, and water, and the best education right here, right now. Things have been messed up. The mess has to be cleaned up first. We will not be productive if things aren't corrected. We won't move forward. Yar'Adua is doing just that and we see that in the reversals of OBJ's policies, and in him analysis how things have been done so as to know where things went wrong to correct it.

You can't even build a house in 8 months not to talk of building a nation in 8 months. na wa o.

I think we already have the leader u described, but also keep in mind that some people are good until they get into office. So when his cabinet members are chosen they may seem to be the best choice, but people do change and they do put up facades and then the true colours come out. A classic example is one's family. U expect ur family member to be the one to have ur best interest at heart, yet they may be the ones to cut u down first.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Kobojunkie: 12:07am On Feb 05, 2008
~Lady~:

@ Subcise

I agree with u that power supply can be generated by the year 2010 which will be 2 years after Yar'Adua is in office, but within 8 months, NO!!!
I don't agree however, that rush rush will leave us with positive results. If we rush things there will be vital mistakes, there will stones left unturned. Yes things can be accomplished in a timely matter, but for it to be rushed absolutely Not. Some things cannot be rushed anyway.

You say that it is possible to turn the country into a well performing economy in 10 years (Yar'Adua will be out by then), I agree but some people are expecting power, and water, and the best education right here, right now. Things have been messed up. The mess has to be cleaned up first. We will not be productive if things aren't corrected. We won't move forward. Yar'Adua is doing just that and we see that in the reversals of OBJ's policies, and in him analysis how things have been done so as to know where things went wrong to correct it.

You can't even build a house in 8 months not to talk of building a nation in 8 months. na wa o.

I think we already have the leader u described, but also keep in mind that some people are good until they get into office. So when his cabinet members are chosen they may seem to be the best choice, but people do change and they do put up facades and then the true colours come out. A classic example is one's family. You expect your family member to be the one to have your best interest at heart, yet they may be the ones to cut u down first.

Would I be right when i say you already made up your mind that this man is it for you and anyone who says anything to critic himin any way is just yapping?? Cause you do not seem to see reason at all in this case regardless of what points are being made,
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by vigasimple(m): 1:49am On Feb 05, 2008
There are 2 other points i want to make regarding non spending of this security votes.

I have echoed the word of one of the contributor here that the President may not be spending his security vote but he may actually be spending other monies that belong to the country (highly unlikely but not impossible- politician is always a politician)

The 2 points that I wanted to make is that.

1. The Presidency and other executheives have just get a salary raise of over 100% so they may have just compensate for the non spending of security vote. Can you tell in which part of the country anyone is getting 20% salary increase not talk of over 100%

2. I completely disagree that you cannot do something in 8 months. Let imagine if you are going to build your own house and money (to a large extent ) is not an object, will it take you 8 months to formulate a vision and plan of what you are about to do. How many years will it take you to clear the ground , foundation and build.

what I for one, like other well meanning Nigerians is asking for is this so called 7 point agenda to be defined and the president intends set Time line.

without clear vision, picture and Timeline. 2011 will come and go and we will still say that there is no enough time.

Think about it 2010 that most people are claiming will just be one year before another election.

During the last election campaign last year we were told by Yar A'Dull and all the PDP that Power would be okay by May 2007. We are now 8 months later, no difference.

We should say things the way it is all the time. PDP no power
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Kobojunkie: 1:55am On Feb 05, 2008
vigasimple:

I have echoed the word of one of the contributor here that the President may not be spending his security vote but he may actually be spending other monies that belong to the country (highly unlikely but not impossible- politician is always a politician)

That line there would be drawn if the reader actually misread my post. No where in my post have I actually taken it upon self to accuse the president of bilking the people in some other way. That may, as you said be possible but no where in my post have I even tried to allude to that as being the case.

1. The Presidency and other executheives have just get a salary raise of over 100% so they may have just compensate for the non spending of security vote. Can you tell in which part of the country anyone is getting 20% salary increase not talk of over 100%

This happens to be one of the many points I have had to consider in arriving at my case here. Which is since he is getting paid to do a job a Nigerian president, we should be able to review his work history be it 7 months or a thousand years. His not spending his security vote is not enough to earn praises for 7 months in office. Since we have a 7 month cut off, employees in companies get reviewed every 3 months, why not review the president as well since we are dealing with a country like Nigeria where leaving them to sit for full term have in the past proved to be at the detriment of the country itself.

I still say we need to be given the big picture so we do not run off emotional with the small that may not matter much when the pieces are put together on the whole for his 7 month seat.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Lady2(f): 7:55am On Feb 05, 2008
Would I be right when i say you already made up your mind that this man is it for you and anyone who says anything to critic himin any way is just yapping?? Cause you do not seem to see reason at all in this case regardless of what points are being made,

Ok, I never said I don't understand u. I do, however my view on things are different. Pls don't insult my intelligence by thinking that urs in infallible.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Kobojunkie: 12:50pm On Feb 05, 2008
~Lady~:

Ok, I never said I don't understand u. I do, however my view on things are different. Please don't insult my intelligence by thinking that urs in infallible.

I doubt you have any clue what my view is from your arguments. You continue to go on and on about how it seems we are blaming the guy for work not done when that is not even the case and I have not even made any claims of such in any of my posts. You seem set on what you want to believe about the man and anyone who tries to suggest things be done a different way will never make sense to you since your emotions may be too wrapped up in this. Prove me wrong!!! Read my posts as is, read the posts over and over again as if it was obasanjo that was still in office. Maybe that might help!!
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by BabsO2(m): 8:23pm On Feb 05, 2008
President Yar adua is trying. I pray God gives him more wisdom to navigate Nigeria to a promised Land if that is what he is working towards. Where the GDP that started shooting up in the days of Baba (Obj) will continue in a more determined unchangeable upward thrust. Where we will start working in a more reflective manner instead of gra gra that leads no where.

His not spending a dime of security vote is renewing my faith in him. If he continues to lead by example the mass of of current criminal Nigerian leaders will have no choice but to change their crooked ways.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Lady2(f): 6:10am On Feb 06, 2008
I doubt you have any clue what my view is from your arguments. You continue to go on and on about how it seems we are blaming the guy for work not done when that is not even the case and I have not even made any claims of such in any of my posts. You seem set on what you want to believe about the man and anyone who tries to suggest things be done a different way will never make sense to you since your emotions may be too wrapped up in this. Prove me wrong!!! Read my posts as is, read the posts over and over again as if it was obasanjo that was still in office. Maybe that might help!!

It seems u lack english comprehension. If u think I was out against u, then u are paranoid. I really hope u don't go around generalising that those who have a differenet view from u are wrapped in emotion.
Like I said, I read ur posts, I got what I got from them and came to a conclusion. U however, misunderstand me, cause I clearly never stated that ur blaming him, if I did show me, I asked u to understand that things have been messed up so badly that it will not just take him alone but another president too. I asked u to understand that 8 months isn't enough time for us to have a report on the major issues, they won't be fixed. I also stated that if it was a year or more, then I would understand. Trust me I understand what ur saying, but am also saying that it's not wrong saying "good job" when indeed a job has been well done. U seem to think that people are celebrating the fact that he did not spend the money. No, we're saying "o wow, he just may be different from those from the past" No one is throwing a party sir, we're just glad that he isn't doing things the old way. Abi will it make u happy that he spent the money that won't be audited (meaning that he could easily pocket the money and keep it moving). But am through.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Kobojunkie: 6:22am On Feb 06, 2008
~Lady~:

It seems u lack english comprehension. If u think I was out against u, then u are paranoid. I really hope u don't go around generalising that those who have a differenet view from u are wrapped in emotion. Like I said, I read your posts, I got what I got from them and came to a conclusion. You however, misunderstand me, cause I clearly never stated that your blaming him, if I did show me, I asked u to understand that things have been messed up so badly that it will not just take him alone but another president too. I asked u to understand that 8 months isn't enough time for us to have a report on the major issues, they won't be fixed. I also stated that if it was a year or more, then I would understand. Trust me I understand what your saying, but am also saying that it's not wrong saying "good job" when indeed a job has been well done. You seem to think that people are celebrating the fact that he did not spend the money. No, we're saying "o wow, he just may be different from those from the past" No one is throwing a party sir, we're just glad that he isn't doing things the old way. Abi will it make u happy that he spent the money that won't be audited (meaning that he could easily pocket the money and keep it moving). But am through.

For the fact that your read my post and got the underlined, means you do not even understand my posts at all and I am tired of saying this over and over again. Stop trying to PSYCHOANALYZE people cause you are obviously doing a terrible job at it now and focus on understanding the posts as is. Read please READ !!!! No one is asking him to build forth knox in 10 minutes, no one has said that he should and no one is saying that people can not rejoice that he did not spend his little money. If you have not noticed, we all do not think alike and not all of us are that impressed and that sentiment is expressed over and over in here by those who replied that it does not matter much to them. sheeesh!!!
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Lady2(f): 8:26pm On Feb 06, 2008
For the fact that your read my post and got the underlined, means you do not even understand my posts at all and I am tired of saying this over and over again. Stop trying to PSYCHOANALYZE people cause you are obviously doing a terrible job at it now and focus on understanding the posts as is. Read please READ !!!! No one is asking him to build forth knox in 10 minutes, no one has said that he should and no one is saying that people can not rejoice that he did not spend his little money. If you have not noticed, we all do not think alike and not all of us are that impressed and that sentiment is expressed over and over in here by those who replied that it does not matter much to them. sheeesh!!!

LOL. Seriously all I can do now is laugh at u. U don't see that I have no issue with u.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by subice(m): 9:01pm On Feb 06, 2008
[b]@ Subcise

I think we already have the leader u described, but also keep in mind that some people are good until they get into office. So when his cabinet members are chosen they may seem to be the best choice, but people do change and they do put up facades and then the true colours come out. A classic example is one's family. You expect your family member to be the one to have your best interest at heart, yet they may be the ones to cut u down first.[/b]

@ lady

Yaradua is doing ok but I just think things can be done at a faster pace without necessary rushing things. He needs to be more decisive and firm. Yeah I agree some people come in and mess up. eg. the AGF, but this is one of the things I mean when I say he needs to be more decisive. That said, he's making good but slow progress.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by debosky(m): 9:15pm On Feb 06, 2008
some of your comments amuse me - has increased salary EVER stopped politicians from looting?

Or did anyone ever tell you these politicians are looting because they want higher pay?? Will their salary ever equal the millions of dollars we hear stolen each year?

Lets get things straight here:

The initial subject of this thread is the security vote - prone to abuse and used for corrupt enrichment by previous governments, Yar'adua sets a good precedent by refusing to spend funds which do not have sufficient oversight in order to show BY ACTION that he is not corrupt. Is that commendable? In my opinion yes. To some it may not matter, but when you are in a nation sorely lacking in moral standards it IS a big deal for someone to avoid an almost 'legitimate' means to enrich himself.

Now on to the issue of 8 months

You may hold the view that 8 months is sufficient, but given the CRASHING failures of the past regime and its hurried approaches, why would any sensible leader wanting to make genuine impact NOT take his time?

On whether 8 months down the line we have heard anything on the 7 point agenda. . .YES we have

1. Police salaries have been raised by 30% - addressing one of the main issues affecting the NPF - officer morale

2. The largest chunk of the budget to be passed allocates the largest proportion ever to security, the first of the 7 point agenda

3. Money has not been allocated to the power sector as yet, till a concrete plan has been formulated taking into cognizance all the failures past approaches have yielded, after which a supplementary budget will be sent to the house specifically for that purpose.

4.The issues stemming from the non-completion of the power projects come from a Supreme Court Judgment negating the use of Excess crude funds for their execution, thus money has to be appropriated specifically for those. Yar'adua complied with that ruling and it has affected the power situation unexpectedly, but things will improve.

5. If you are really concerned about finding out 'what has he done in 8 months' information is out there if you will search. Simply saying there is 'no water, no light' is trite and reductionist at best. The issues are complicated, approaches are being used to solve them and it will take time.

He may not be moving as fast as some here may conceive possible or required, but progress is being made.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Lady2(f): 10:24pm On Feb 06, 2008
@ debosky

Great job. grin grin grin
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by McKren(m): 11:43pm On Feb 07, 2008
Debosky

Your such a brilliant guy but I implore you to take time before attempting to defend Yaradua, this move is simply an attempt by his handlers to grab headlines and restore public image through the back door after the lies and spins of this administration has been revealed.

I understand even OBJ who is being touted as very corrupt did not spend his security vote for 3years, hence Yar'adua not spending his in the last 8months does not by any means exonerate him from corruption.

Not exactly when he is through his AGF bribing and intimidating Justice Ogebe in other to tilt the electoral verdict in his favour.

Nigeria is in for the biggest sleaze in history.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Lady2(f): 8:11pm On Feb 08, 2008
@ McKren

se ur a psychic.

can u let me know if I will be a billionaire by the age of 25? Nonsense.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by McKren(m): 8:16pm On Feb 08, 2008
~Lady~:

@ McKren

se your a psychic.

can u let me know if I will be a billionaire by the age of 25? Nonsense.

Not too sure what u mean

Anywayz its a public forum, whatever u r trying to say is welcomed.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Lady2(f): 9:09pm On Feb 08, 2008

Se ur a psychic?

How do u know this?
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by McKren(m): 12:21am On Feb 09, 2008
well I did not know that making a declaration based on ensuing trend amounts to being psychic

anyway thanks for the remark
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by DisGuy: 1:02am On Feb 09, 2008
McKren:

Debosky

Your such a brilliant guy but I implore you to take time before attempting to defend Yaradua, this move is simply an attempt by his handlers to grab headlines and restore public image through the back door after the lies and spins of this administration has been revealed.

I understand even OBJ who is being touted as very corrupt did not spend his security vote for 3years, hence Yar'adua not spending his in the last 8months does not by any means exonerate him from corruption.

Not exactly when he is through his AGF bribing and intimidation Justice Ogebe in other to tilt the electoral verdict in his favour.

McKren
please expatiate-
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by SkyBlue1: 2:25am On Feb 09, 2008
i have resisted registering on this forum for so long because i don't want to be insulted, lol. Concerning this discussion i believe sometimes people in Nigeria can be so easily wooed and impressed by things that should be expected as norm given the situation and i understand where Kobojunkie is coming from. I remember going on the government websites of some of Rivers State and in a state so richly blessed in natural resources and a state also enjoying a significant ammount in state derivation from the federal budget, what the then governor ('Dr' Peter Odilli) saw as worth flaunting as things his administration had achieved was some off the most insulting trite like, buying a few buses (which i never saw in use when i was in Port Harcourt), buying a few taxis (which were later sold), building a block of flats (which is now run down), etc. He also ran down the state, and under his leadership Rivers State became a lawless state run by cults and militants. With the ammount of money he stole he is even richer than oprah. Compare the rivers state website to the lagos one which flaunted the achievements of the current governor Fashola and even more important, detailed and well evaluated future PLANS on how to move the state foward with foundations already taking shape. An agressive rehabilitation of infrastructure, improvement of business environment by rehabilitaing, maintaining and beautifying the lagos island CBD (central business district) hence creating a more inviting environment for big businesses, the list just goes on and you can find out for yourself.
The point i am trying to make is that Nigerians can be so easily wooed and impressed by sanity and normality and understandably so. After so many years of misrule, mismanagement and plunder, things that should be seen as norm and just get a nod of approval seem like things worth celebrating. I honestly believe that nigerians can be too easily forgiving, that is why somebody can burn a whole state but as long as he builds a school some will say 'leave am, at least the man try sha'. Although you have to take into consideration the fact that it is Nigeria, i do believe that by holding our leaders more accountable and setting higher standards we can get more from them. Simply put, if we make such a huge deal about the president not spending his 'pocket money' then is there all there is to the presidency? Does that make him a good president? A good person probably, i can't say as i don't know him personally. But i think it is a testament to the state of our affairs if what passes as a good president is a president that is not corrupt. Like giving a child a pat on the back for not stealing or shooting his mother. Don't get me wrong, i am not necessarily anti Yardua, i just think this whole thing should be looked at as commendable on his character as a person not as a president.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by DisGuy: 2:45am On Feb 09, 2008
Don't get me wrong, i am not necessarily anti Yardua, i just think this whole thing should be looked at as commendable [/i]on his character as a person not as a president.
[i]
isn't that what we are doing?

the person is yaradua
and yaradua is the president
grin
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Kobojunkie: 4:20am On Feb 09, 2008
Sky Blue:

i have resisted registering on this forum for so long because i don't want to be insulted, lol. Concerning this discussion i believe sometimes people in Nigeria can be so easily wooed and impressed by things that should be expected as norm given the situation and i understand where Kobojunkie is coming from. I remember going on the government websites of some of Rivers State and in a state so richly blessed in natural resources and a state also enjoying a significant ammount in state derivation from the federal budget, what the then governor ('Dr' Peter Odilli) saw as worth flaunting as things his administration had achieved was some off the most insulting trite like, buying a few buses (which i never saw in use when i was in Port Harcourt), buying a few taxis (which were later sold), building a block of flats (which is now run down), etc. He also ran down the state, and under his leadership Rivers State became a lawless state run by cults and militants. With the ammount of money he stole he is even richer than oprah. Compare the rivers state website to the lagos one which flaunted the achievements of the current governor Fashola and even more important, detailed and well evaluated future PLANS on how to move the state foward with foundations already taking shape. An agressive rehabilitation of infrastructure, improvement of business environment by rehabilitaing, maintaining and beautifying the lagos island CBD (central business district) hence creating a more inviting environment for big businesses, the list just goes on and you can find out for yourself.
The point i am trying to make is that Nigerians can be so easily wooed and impressed by sanity and normality and understandably so. After so many years of misrule, mismanagement and plunder, things that should be seen as norm and just get a nod of approval seem like things worth celebrating. I honestly believe that nigerians can be too easily forgiving, that is why somebody can burn a whole state but as long as he builds a school some will say 'leave am, at least the man try sha'. Although you have to take into consideration the fact that it is Nigeria, i do believe that by holding our leaders more accountable and setting higher standards we can get more from them. Simply put, if we make such a huge deal about the president not spending his 'pocket money' then is there all there is to the presidency? Does that make him a good president? A good person probably, i can't say as i don't know him personally. But i think it is a testament to the state of our affairs if what passes as a good president is a president that is not corrupt. Like giving a child a pat on the back for not stealing or shooting his mother. Don't get me wrong, i am not necessarily anti Yardua, i just think this whole thing should be looked at as commendable on his character as a person not as a president.

You could not have put it any better. Great job!!!
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by oldie(m): 11:49am On Feb 09, 2008
Sky Blue:

i have resisted registering on this forum for so long because i don't want to be insulted, lol.
Insulted by who?
Every one has his/her opinion in a public forum, especially a Nigerian forum
We need to respect that, unless you are saying some of us are beneath you

Sky Blue:

Don't get me wrong, i am not necessarily anti Yardua, i just think this whole thing should be looked at as commendable on his character as a person not as a president.

Would you have preferred a bad person as a president?
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by SkyBlue1: 12:36pm On Feb 09, 2008
To respond to oldie's comment, when i mean insulted i mean the name calling people are frequently subjected to in this forum. An no i wouldn't have preferred a bad person as a president, i just think the fact that he is a good person (allegedly), does not make him a good president. There is so much more to the presidency than that. I think you misunderstood what i said and should read my post again as i don't think there is anything i need to add to it. I don't want to keep repeating. Have a nice day and God bless. smiley
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by oldie(m): 1:48pm On Feb 09, 2008
You are welcome Sky Blue
Still a great forum warts and all
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Kobojunkie: 3:54pm On Feb 09, 2008
Sky Blue:

To respond to oldie's comment, when i mean insulted i mean the name calling people are frequently subjected to in this forum. An no i wouldn't have preferred a bad person as a president, i just think the fact that he is a good person (allegedly), does not make him a good president. There is so much more to the presidency than that. I think you misunderstood what i said and should read my post again as i don't think there is anything i need to add to it. I don't want to keep repeating. Have a nice day and God bless. smiley

If I may add, we are yet to know his actual person to  claim he is good or bad. All we know is what he has done so far in his life unless someone in here who reads the man's heart knows 100% that he will not disappoint us 3 years from now as his predecessor did. Why must we wait for him to reveal himself and then find out then?? Why not control things to the extent that we can so that whichever way the tides go on this one, we retain some control of things for once in our history. I am glad to know there are persons like you out there @Skyblue, not easily impressed by the normal things as many in that country seem to be.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by Obicy: 4:09pm On Feb 09, 2008
I think the president has tried so far.We have seen presidents in the past who did not give a hoot to what you and I were saying.This administration has so far allowed each arm of government to be truly independent.It may be too early to judge but I will boldly say that so far,his government has scored higher than the last in that regard.It is encouraging and it is a good thing that the Judiciary is taking its rightful place in our democracy.Let us hope and pray that God continues to use him.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by ellaluchi: 4:24pm On Feb 09, 2008
[color=#550000][/color][b][/b]IF REALLY THAT THE SECURITY VOTES ARE TO BE SENT BACK TO THE NATION"S TREASURY,,,,,,,,,,I MAINTAIN THAT WHAT MR UMARU HAS DONE IS REALLY WORTHY OF EMULATION.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by oldie(m): 6:51pm On Feb 09, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I am glad to know there are persons like you out there @Skyblue, not easily impressed by the normal things as many in that country seem to be.

That country?
I thought we are talking about Nigeria!
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by debosky(m): 7:02pm On Feb 09, 2008
@ skyblue

that was a very reasoned and balanced comment.

Nigerians have indeed gone through a lot, but it would be a little naive or over-expectant in my view to instantly jump from a completely corrupt, insensitive, and distant government to the sort of ideal you are seeking here. What some of us are saying is not that Yar'adua is perfect, but given the overall SITUATION ON THE GROUND. . .not some idealistic views far removed from reality - Yar'adua's move is commendable.

It may be a non-issue in developed democracies, but we need these baby steps to reach the giant strides we desire. from not-being corrupt, we can begin to hold higher standards. Consider this: If Yar'adua keeps this non-corrupt stance till the end of his term (not that nothing else will be achieved, but lets focus on this for now) the next government will be expected to be clean, since this had become 'standard practice' under Yar'adua, thus compelling them to imbibe these same qualities and achieve greater feats.

I disagree that it does not have anything to do with his qualities as a president, because if nothing else, a president is supposed to be a National Role Model . His actions should set a good precedent for others to follow, even in the so called 'little things'. When we are concerned enough to pay attention to even the 'pocket money' expenditure as you put it, then we shall be able to build up to expect similar accountability with the larger funds expended.
Re: Yar'adua Did Not Spend A Dime Of His Security Vote by doyin13(m): 8:13pm On Feb 09, 2008
debosky:

@ skyblue

that was a very reasoned and balanced comment.

Nigerians have indeed gone through a lot, but it would be a little naive or over-expectant in my view to instantly jump from a completely corrupt, insensitive, and distant government to the sort of ideal you are seeking here. What some of us are saying is not that Yar'adua is perfect, but given the overall SITUATION ON THE GROUND. . .not some idealistic views far removed from reality - Yar'adua's move is commendable.

It may be a non-issue in developed democracies, but we need these baby steps to reach the giant strides we desire. from not-being corrupt, we can begin to hold higher standards. Consider this: If Yar'adua keeps this non-corrupt stance till the end of his term (not that nothing else will be achieved, but lets focus on this for now) the next government will be expected to be clean, since this had become 'standard practice' under Yar'adua, thus compelling them to imbibe these same qualities and achieve greater feats.

I disagree that it does not have anything to do with his qualities as a president, because if nothing else, a president is supposed to be a National Role Model . His actions should set a good precedent for others to follow, even in the so called 'little things'. When we are concerned enough to pay attention to even the 'pocket money' expenditure as you put it, then we shall be able to build up to expect similar accountability with the larger funds expended.

Debo, baby steps will not get us anywhere. . . The longer the process the more we are likely to lapse back to our demented ways.

Considering how terrible things are in Nigeria, , ,Nothing short of a cataclysmic revolution is required, . . .quick, sharp and decisive.
Dithering or symbolic gestures of good sense in the form of reform will not work.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sani Abacha Stadium: A Eulogy To Evil? / Imo Indigenes In Uk Adopt Acn / Efcc Confiscates Lucky Igbinedion’s Assets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.