Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,212 members, 7,903,988 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 06:22 AM

University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? (24392 Views)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job / Pharmacy As Second Degree Or Msc / Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by rozayx5(m): 4:01pm On Nov 12, 2012
i prefer developing entrepreneural skills over five years, cool cool
the 2 years i have devoted to what i do now has yeilded a lot of fruit cool cool
cant imagine buring the midnight oil and trekking the streets again looking for JOB( just over broke)grin grin
A degree ( you can just get it for education sake, as that alone does cannot gurantee you success in todays Nigeria
seen first class Graduates repairing phones , the economy is just in a mess sad
get a handwork and a degree and your safe in this country,
to me , handwork first, after a sound sceondary Education cool
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Piyke: 4:06pm On Nov 12, 2012
rozayx5: i prefer developing entrepreneural skills over five years, cool cool
the 2 years i have devoted to what i do now has yeilded a lot of fruit cool cool
cant imagine buring the midnight oil and trekking the streets again looking for JOB( just over broke)grin grin
A degree ( you can just get it for education sake, as that alone does cannot gurantee you success in todays Nigeria
seen first class Graduates repairing phones , the economy is just in a mess sad
get a handwork and a degree and your safe in this country,
to me , handwork first, after a sound sceondary Education cool

On point!

Why is there no dislike button on NL
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by TonySpike: 4:09pm On Nov 12, 2012
The essence of university education has been defeated in Nigeria. In the real sense, not everyone should be in the University, ivory towers are meant for individuals with high propensity for thinking, innovation, problem-solving and sound reasoning. Many entrants into Nigeria's university fail to meet these minimum requirements, hence, the problem with many Graduates unable to reason properly. The best brains in the nation are meant to be nurtured in the University. The Universities are meant to be researching citadels where new ideas (which might often be abstract to the layman) required to power local industries and organizations are developed, while evolving new strategies to enhance economic productivity. Until we go back to the basics of education and learning in Nigeria, we will continue to produce sub-standard graduates in quality and quantity. To me, skill acquisition is entirely another different world, required for people who harness the practicality of the ideas being developed in the universities, and churn it out in massive industrial productions. Therefore, I believe both of them are important in today's Nigeria. My opinion though...

2 Likes

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by stupor(m): 4:11pm On Nov 12, 2012
Handiwork far better now.

With the latest and shameful graduate employability ratio,a small handcraft skill or buy and sell enterprise is far more lucrative than even Dangote's logistics Truck driver job Offer for graduates if capital and little finance is not abridged.

Getting educated on the other,is very important as it sorts you out of taking slow decisions in business and personal obligations.

And please Moderators can you stop putting University as representative name for higher education ? When we have also higher tertiary schoOls still Operative and relevat in the country,Polytechnics,Colleges of Technology and sciences including education.

Just say University College education or Polytechnic College Education,College of Education,Or just consolidate them all as College as Usual,and stop restricting it a particular arm,they are all the same.

Like I said earlier,Self enterprise Craft or service far outweighs the benefits of a College degree if you have all the pre-requisites including education,I.e a sound High school Diploma or Certificate.

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by ghettodreamz(m): 4:13pm On Nov 12, 2012
Booty4me: ahhhhhh Nah hand work ooo.. ask them yahoo boiz cool

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 12, 2012
handwork is better.university degree could be acquired thru online education.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by uzodimma4sunnex: 4:18pm On Nov 12, 2012
none is better, only if u ar an entrepreneur will u live comfortably or else hmm i reserve my comment.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by ghettodreamz(m): 4:19pm On Nov 12, 2012
zangiff: Degree in naija is just for the future, but the real thing now is hand work, those guys are even more richer than graduate

Well said, just necessary but not compulsory. Get it, be vigilant enough to observe and see any opportunity that comes your way in the future as a good one, grab it sharply. DON'T DULL
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by ghettodreamz(m): 4:21pm On Nov 12, 2012
Laalamed: handwork is better.university degree could be acquired thru online education.

For Nigeria? With epileptic internet service there is and high internet bill EQUALS TABOO
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by samfibby(m): 4:29pm On Nov 12, 2012
If you want to join government in plundering nigeria's wealth, better be a grduate or do you know of any plumber that profits from our corrupt govt. No!!!, all of them are graduates from genuine universities or "toronto university". By former counsellor was appointed immediately after school. In his 8-year tenure he made sure he plundered the ward allocation, built three duplexes, made sure his children had either uk or the us citizenship. And what did the community get in return? Regular cartons of beer, local gin (paraga)for all the boyz, dilapidated road etc. To add insult to injury, the guy was begging for third teem. In this country, if we want to enrich yourself with govt money, better get a degree.

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by babyluvmeu: 4:31pm On Nov 12, 2012
4 Me Sha ooooo, I Prefer HandWork.

Someone will have a Degree 2 acquire a Job becomes problem.YYY ??

I think is better i learn handwork, then i start managing my own business myself. Nobody will Disrespect, Down-look, or even give me Time-to Resume work and Time to Close from the Office.

Please Let's choose Handwork oooo.

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by ghettodreamz(m): 4:32pm On Nov 12, 2012
samfibby: If you want to join government in plundering nigeria's wealth, better be a grduate or do you know of any plumber that profits from our corrupt govt. No!!!, all of them are graduates from genuine universities or "toronto university". By former counsellor was appointed immediately after school. In his 8-year tenure he made sure he plundered the ward allocation, built three duplexes, made sure his children had either uk or the us citizenship. And what did the community get in return? Regular cartons of beer, local gin (paraga)for all the boyz, dilapidated road etc. To add insult to injury, the guy was begging for third teem. In this country, if we want to enrich yourself with govt money, better get a degree.

You get brain gan sha.. Nice one... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by omocheche(f): 4:33pm On Nov 12, 2012
EDUCATION FIRST AND THEN HANDIWORK
phineboy1pimple: With the number of graduates ending up in unskilled jobs, should people just learn a trade instead of
wasting time and money getting degrees they might never use?
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by adeshina86: 4:36pm On Nov 12, 2012
they both work 2geda.....handwork couple wit education na lets go there nonstop,....take psquare 4 instance..music couple wit education landed dem in large sucess...
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 12, 2012
None of d above.
People in Nigeria go to the university for the wrong reason (to become rich).
a DEGREE DO NOT, CANNOT, and WILL NOT MAKE you RICH!
It jst increase ur chances of getting a better salary or govt. office where u can steal, get bribed!
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 12, 2012
phineboy1pimple:

Don't U tink its time wasting?... D time used getting a degree in cud ve bin used bettering d handwork....
no it is not a wast of time. you can run the two concurrently. in fact the two are thought at the same time in most western countries, look at the number of athletes coming out of US colleges.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by ud4u: 5:17pm On Nov 12, 2012
what a question
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Nov 12, 2012
Yomieluv: Education helps to enhance skill or training,it also add swagg somehow to your personality.
You can't compare Ashawo wey go school to the one wey no go school,in terms of service delivery.
lolz
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by jeroton: 5:35pm On Nov 12, 2012
I have both $ I find out that hand work is more reliable than university degree.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by pawpawguy: 5:36pm On Nov 12, 2012
phineboy1pimple: With the number of graduates ending up in unskilled jobs, should people just learn a trade instead of
wasting time and money getting degrees they might never use?

I will advice you learn the two because it takes two to tangle...lol
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 5:39pm On Nov 12, 2012
jeroton: I have both $ I find out that hand work is more reliable than university degree.

I am sure some of the things you learn on the university level makes it easier for you to even do some of your handy work or to relate with people better. . . there is for sure some difference between having just the handy work compared to a graduate with handy work, if you chill and compare, you will be glad you have both
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by kunletech: 5:41pm On Nov 12, 2012
University degree combine with vocational training is better.
University degree is like a spice to person life.
Vocational training is like a raw food.
The combination will make person's like great.

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by dickson4341(m): 5:49pm On Nov 12, 2012
well,here in nigeria,i can say hardiwork is d best.though,education is d best legacy,but no in nigeria becos,a lot of graduate in d labour market lukin 4 job.i believe,wit d money invested on education most xspecially university,u can invest it in a business b4 b 4yrs u are 2 spend in d uni,wit ur hardiwork,u would have achive ur goal even 2 d xtent of employ graduate
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by ajufinz(m): 5:56pm On Nov 12, 2012
A trip to any of the ongoin NYSC camps will give U a clear picture of the unfortunate state of the Nigerian graduate.
Unfortunate in the sense that what they're interested in catching is as good as the a fan fair.
A visit to the skills acquisition lectures will convince u that a majority of the educated youth are headed for the 'labour' market. A place of waiting and hoping, wastage and pain.
There are hardly adverisements for employment in the hand work industry cause it's open to all.... Jst come with a humble and willing heart. It pays beta!
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 5:58pm On Nov 12, 2012
ajufinz: A trip to any of the ongoin NYSC camps will give U a clear picture of the unfortunate state of the Nigerian graduate.
Unfortunate in the sense that what they're interested in catching is as good as the a fan fair.
A visit to the skills acquisition lectures will convince u that a majority of the educated youth are headed for the 'labour' market. A place of waiting and hoping, wastage and pain.
There are hardly adverisements for employment in the hand work industry cause it's open to all.... Jst come with a humble and willing heart. It pays beta!

Sad but true
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by duni04(m): 5:59pm On Nov 12, 2012
Thank God you mentioned Nigeria. The administration of Goodluck Jonathan has taught all young and discerning young people that it is better to take up arms and fight against authority, kidnap foreigners, burn mosques and churches, than getting a university degree. I wonder how all those young people in the Niger delta who opted to go to school acquire degrees feel when they see the Jonathan's militants cruising around with Lamborghinis. To the young people in the North who are opting to ignore boko haram and go to school instead, better wisen up. Boko Haram is about to be compensated for the terrorism they've been unleashing on Nigerians. So put down your books or drop out of school and pick up weapons. Crime does pay in Nigeria. Even after you finish school, work no dey

1 Like

Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 6:00pm On Nov 12, 2012
^^^ So much well said . . . .
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 12, 2012
phineboy1pimple:

Don't U tink its time wasting?... D time used getting a degree in cud ve bin used bettering d handwork....
you wuldnt be able to type this if u had stayed away frm the four walls of school.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 12, 2012
joker5180: globally university degrees doesnt make one rich but it does provide a platform for one to achiev whatever he desires in life. my opinion is that one need both university degree and vocational training (handwork) to survive the hash socioeconomic environment in the country.
fussing degree programe with vocational training is uncommon in our Universities. My alma mater unn runs vocational education buh most students are either not aware or lack adequate motivation to enroll.

@topic
I wuld say both are needed. And its very possible. Our curriculum can be modified to accommodate such.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by Saintsquare(m): 6:34pm On Nov 12, 2012
Handiwork guarantees employment but need large funding,while degree serves as a security cos opportunity mite come @ anytime.
Re: University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? by victorian(f): 7:11pm On Nov 12, 2012
Degree and handiwork, works together... One cant separate them...Do u know wit education, one can finetune, repackage his or her skill or craft to suit any class of clientele u want... but without education, one is limited in certain areas of delivery and buisness acumen.. Both will guarantee success.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian High Commission London Changes Staff Status To “self-employed” / What Are The The Best 3 Computer Training Centers In Lagos? / Victor Ifeanyichukwu Ede, UNIPORT Graduate Who Drives Keke Napep For A Living

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.