Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,864 members, 7,927,560 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 04:58 PM

Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? (6119 Views)

OPINION: If You Know You can't Keep To Your Marital Vow, Please, Remain Single! / The Vow (a Lesson In Marriage) / Telling The Truth: Can It Hurt Relationships? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by Koolking(m): 8:40am On Nov 14, 2012
kitty kat:

Agreed. D vow shd do the opposite.

Hey Kitty Kat, Long time no hear. I trust life has been beautiful. Cheers
Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by kaboninc(m): 12:26pm On Nov 14, 2012
Imanuelle: IMO.. Taking the vow for some ladies and a few men is like a job marriage security assurance.
Most ladies tend to become their real selves after these vows..bliving that....'Them dun marry be say dem dun marry'!
In other words.... Dats when some ladies get to find out that d jeep wey dem 'bobo' been dey ride.. Na mechanic dey borrow am.
Or when they bliv the man is suppozed to be financially responsible for the education of his wife's younger ones!
Dats when sum ladies start to tie wrapper because they think his wedding ring is enough protection.
In most cases..... This system only affects those that ddnt know their partners inside-out!

'The vow' can put a strain on relationships.... But only unsolidified relationships!

Not only that they see their husbands as a cash cow, even before the marriage, they even see him as a 'cash goat'. Once you tell a girl that you've gotten a well paid job, the next thing she'll most likely say after 'congratulations' is 'you go buy me recharge card every month' or 'what of my monthly share/cut?'.
Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by Yemak74: 12:42pm On Nov 14, 2012
nass07: Pls where do I come in? I never marry o
must u come in:/
Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by tulk2mi: 1:30pm On Nov 14, 2012
SELFWORTH: Taking the vow is meant to enhance the relationship and take it to the next level. In reality, most couples forget how they got to the 'vow' level once the vow is taken.

Dominance replaces sharing
Anger replaces love
Culture replaces Godliness
Fear of family and friend replaces fear of God
Complacency replaces attention and care
Selfishness replaces selflessness
Lack of patience replaces understanding
Family wishes replaces couple wishes and so on and SI forth.

Each change at each stage brings it own pressure until the marriage crumbles and you cannot both pinpoint one single factor . Once it crumbles , everyone including family return to their shell and leave you to pick up the pieces.

All the reponses r true but dis particular deals more with specifics n i tend to agree more wit this

Nigeria family play a big part in helping couples not live up to their vows . It's takes a strong man to stand up and resist family intervention for most marriages to stand.

I expect a lot of abuse becos I know the truth is always bitter!

Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by UjSizzle(f): 1:30pm On Nov 14, 2012
Seems we have too many men with issues on this site. Has it occurred to any of you that sometimes the men are actually the reason for breakups n divorces not just the women? Or is it really so much of a man's world that you'd rather assume the woman's always at fault? Smh

1 Like

Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by caukerzee(m): 7:07pm On Nov 14, 2012
uj_sizzle: Seems we have too many men with issues on this site. Has it occurred to any of you that sometimes the men are actually the reason for breakups n divorces not just the women? Or is it really so much of a man's world that you'd rather assume the woman's always at fault? Smh
okay, there's no need to bring gender sentiments into this.
Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by UjSizzle(f): 8:39pm On Nov 14, 2012
caukerzee: okay, there's no need to bring gender sentiments into this.
Gender sentiment is all over NL, practically blinding certain people from the reality of situations. There's only so much a woman can take. No offence intended anyway smiley.
Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by Nobody: 8:00am On Nov 15, 2012
caukerzee: The problem with most of our marriages and relationship these days is that people go into them for what they stand to gain and not what they are willing to sacrifice. there's no love anylonger. men go for s e x, women go for money. when those things are not there, marriage ends. marriage is more about commitment than love tho, because love leaves at some point. so vows are ment to strenghten it not the other way round. another problem is civil rights and gender equality...that has affected our these days marriage. women neglect submission which is the basic thing in marriage because of her quest for gender equality.
i dont quite agree with u. because men doesn't have to marry before they can have sex. Sex is free of charge nowadays. Thank God. Most of the time, women are to blame in failed marraiges. As soon as they get married they stop taking care of themselves, looking unattractive. They become a burden to the men by making ridiculous demands. They complain all the time on things that should be overlooked. Become overprotective [ monitor their husbands phone calls and friends ]. Deny their husband any privacy and men love their privacy. Etc
Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by Nobody: 10:05am On Nov 15, 2012
@OP
a person dating will ALWAYS have at the back of her head that their partner could leave anytime/anyday, thus this person will be on their "best behavior and at their ultimate best"..........while the minute someone gets married, many automatically let go simply because they believe that they dont have to woo/seduce/flirt any longer with their partner since the ring is on their fingers. so in a way, to many, the ring is like a "you got her/him, you dont need to stress yourself any longer" card, and therefore this is why many only go DOWNHILL from that day onward.

as for me, this is one of the main reason why i would NEVER get married...... i NEVER want my partner to believe that this is it, she should/must always feel like she could be dumped tomorrow if she doesnt get her act together. so:
- if she turns into a psycho biatch (or lose her damn mind) she's OUT!!!
- if she turns into a baby whale and dont want to do anything about it, she's OUT!!!
- if she suddenly slack in ANY area where she use to excel, she's OUT!!!
- if she doesnt provide all the satisfaction that is required of her she's OUT!!!

if someone changes in a r/ship or marriage, then you need to reassess that said r/ship or marriage.........staying/accepting their newfound self without a care for YOUR own wishes and desires (like many married people do) is the biggest joke on the face of this earth!
Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by caukerzee(m): 2:44pm On Nov 15, 2012
lofty900: i dont quite agree with u. because men doesn't have to marry before they can have sex. Sex is free of charge nowadays. Thank God. Most of the time, women are to blame in failed marraiges. As soon as they get married they stop taking care of themselves, looking unattractive. They become a burden to the men by making ridiculous demands. They complain all the time on things that should be overlooked. Become overprotective [ monitor their husbands phone calls and friends ]. Deny their husband any privacy and men love their privacy. Etc
its a fact that men go after women because they are s e x u a l l y attractive and as you said, after marriages, women stop taking care of themselves and start to look unatractive, they become too demanding. ever wondered why men cheat? because they dont get full sexual satisfaction. i believe both parties are to blame. women got their faults and ro do men. no need for gender sentiments.

1 Like

Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by caukerzee(m): 2:48pm On Nov 15, 2012
uj_sizzle:
Gender sentiment is all over NL, practically blinding certain people from the reality of situations. There's only so much a woman can take. No offence intended anyway smiley.
And none taken. but i guess you are one of those blinded people to.
Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by UjSizzle(f): 3:12pm On Nov 15, 2012
caukerzee: And none taken. but i guess you are one of those blinded people to.
for stating the obvious?
If there's anything I'm for, it's equality in sharing the blame. All I've seen on this thread is fingers pointing in one direction.
Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by kittykat1(f): 12:34pm On Nov 16, 2012
Koolking:

Hey Kitty Kat, Long time no hear. I trust life has been beautiful. Cheers

I am fine dearie. How are you?
Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by Koolking(m): 11:52am On Nov 19, 2012
kitty kat:

I am fine dearie. How are you?

I am very well. It's been ages. Good to hear from you. Cheers
Re: Taking 'the Vow' Put A Strain On Relationships? by Nobody: 11:57am On Nov 19, 2012
Taking the vow is not the problem... but a person's inability to commit himself/herself to the vow they made is the problem

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do A Wife's Earnings Belong To Her Husband? / A Married Man. A Single Lady. The Infidelity Trend... / Why Is MARITAL RAPE Considered To Be A CRIME?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.