Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,314 members, 7,910,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 01:25 PM

What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? (10007 Views)

'longest' Word Has 189,819 Letters, Takes Three Hours To Pronounce / 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary / Drop An English Word That Will Make Someone Check The Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Sirniyeh(m): 7:37pm On Nov 13, 2012
Dear Nairalanders,
Have you ever thought of what the answer could be?
What is the longest word in the dictionary? Not the word with affixes! I mean no prefix
Lets educate ourselves
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Thekeeper(m): 1:25am On Nov 14, 2012
Interdenominationalism. .:-D
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Ariyke: 9:34am On Nov 14, 2012
The_keeper: Interdenominationalism. .:-D
Seconded
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Sirniyeh(m): 6:13pm On Nov 14, 2012
You are correct. You've won N5k. Congratulation

1 Like

Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Thekeeper(m): 8:55pm On Nov 14, 2012
Sirniyeh i neva c d 5k o. . .abeg make we chat 4 2go naa.i'v waited since 4eva
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Florena(f): 11:18pm On Nov 14, 2012
D longest word is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, its a 45 letter word, i bet it wit anyone i'm correct
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Sirniyeh(m): 4:08pm On Nov 15, 2012
Florena: D longest word is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, its a 45 letter word, i bet it wit anyone i'm correct
Wow, u don scatter my oblogata. Shei! For where you see ur own dictionary? Oh, sorry. Na dictionary of Okotie from babylon. Na now i know say u be okotie member
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Optimisticgondy(m): 4:10pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sirniyeh:
Wow, u don scatter my oblogata. Shei! For where you see ur own dictionary? Oh, sorry. Na dictionary of Okotie from babylon. Na now i know say u be okotie member
Sir, I sent you an email. Please reply ASAP.
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Florena(f): 4:17pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sirniyeh:
no be ur fault i knw say u no go school, why nt search 4 d meanin on google.. But 2 help u out it is d name of a virus and mind u i've known dis since i was in primary school
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Sirniyeh(m): 8:19pm On Nov 15, 2012
Florena:
no be ur fault i knw say u no go school, why nt search 4 d meanin on google.. But 2 help u out it is d name of a virus and mind u i've known dis since i was in primary school
You wey be newcomer for nairaland con dey make mouth. Pikin welcome. You dey call me ur fathet say i no go school. Well, i no go but i don send u go. Se na to abuse ur papa with your grammer na in wey then teach u for school.
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Florena(f): 8:36pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sirniyeh:
You wey be newcomer for nairaland con dey make mouth. Pikin welcome. You dey call me ur fathet say i no go school. Well, i no go but i don send u go. Se na to abuse ur papa with your grammer na in wey then teach u for school.
i no blame u, small time nw una go talk say na abuse person dey com do 4 naira land, no be u start am.... I beg if u no say u wan may ur children honour u anywhere, 4 ur life no ever mention person papa again
someone provides answer 2 a question instead of u 2 check if right or wrong, u trouble dat ur useless mind con transfer lunatic thoughts 2 ur brain wey send a stupid message 2 ur fingers and type an unreasonable comment
u better watch ur mouth because na small word u go just tell someone and dey wil ruin ur life
i bet u dnt ave a father and if u do, he doesn't mean anytin 2 u......pity him
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Nov 15, 2012
Florena: D longest word is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, its a 45 letter word, i bet it wit anyone i'm correct
Lmao.
Why bet? Wait till u see ds. I bet that's not d longest word ever.
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Florena(f): 8:52pm On Nov 15, 2012
candygosh:
Lmao.
Why bet? Wait till u see ds. I bet that's not d longest word ever.
truly, there re some other words but this is d longest in d major didctionaries
most other words re scientific
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 15, 2012
@op you should have said what's the longest word in the english dictionary. Gosh, there are lots of dico now, english, french, german, spanish, etc.
Well below are some pretty long words.

1. Honorificabilitudinita - Tibus (27 letters)

The word occurs in Shakespeare's play Love's Labour's Lost, and means "with honorablenesses."
2. Antidisestablishmentarianism(28 letters)

The word means, according Funk & Wagnalls New Standard Dictionary of the English Language, "a doctrine of opposition to disestablishment (withdrawal of state patronage, support, or exclusive recognition from a church)". 

3. Floccinaucinihilipipification (29 letters)

This is found in the Oxford English Dictionary, and means "the action or habit of estimating something as worthless".

4. Supercalifragilisticeplalidocious (34 letters)

From the movie Mary Poppins. It means "god".

5. Praetertranssubstantiationalistically (37 letters)

Used by Mark McShane in his novel Untimely Ripped (1963). It means the act of surpassing the act of transubstantiation, which refers specifically to the transformation of the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ during the Roman Catholic mass.

6. Hepaticocholecystostcholecystenterostomy(40 letters)

Found in Gould's Medical Dictionary. It is defined as "the surgical formation of a passage between the gall bladder and hepatic duct, on the one hand, andbetween the intestine and he gall bladder, on the other".

7. Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosts
(45 letters)

Found in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, 8th edition. It is "a 
pneumoconiosis caused by the inhalation of very fine silicate or quartz dust". It occurs especially in miners.

8. Antipericatametaanaparcircumvolutiorectumgustpoops 
of the coprofied (50 letters)

The title of a book on a shelf in a library in the classic ribald work Gargantua and Pantagruel, by Francois Rabelais.

9. Osseocarnisanguineoviscericartilagininervomedullary  
(51 letters)

A team that describes the structure of the human body; it occurs in Heading Hall (1861), a novel by Thomas Love Peacock.

10. Aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminoscupreovitriolic 
(52 letters) 

Describes the composition of the spa wters at Bristol, in Gloucestershire, England. The word was coined by an English medical writer, Dr. Edward Strother (1675 - 1737).

11.Bababadalgharaghtakamminapronnkonnbronntonnepronnt-
uonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordeenenthurnuk  
(100 letters)

This word is on the first pate of Finegans Wake by James Joyce, and is a symbolic thunderclap representing the fall of Adam and Eve. (Other 100-letter  words appear throughout the book.)

12. Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrim-
matosilphiparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophat-
toperisteralektryonoptekephalliokiglopeleiolagoiosiraiobaph-
etraganopterygon (182 letters)

The English transliteration of a Greek word that occurs in Aristophanes' play The Ecclesiazusae. The word is defined a "a goulash composed of all the leftovers from the meals of the last two weeks", or "has".
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 15, 2012
Florena:
truly, there re some other words but this is d longest in d major didctionaries
most other words re scientific
Exactly where d op missed it. We are in a world where people actually form words.
You can imagine beyonce's "bootylicious"
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Florena(f): 9:07pm On Nov 15, 2012
[quote
author=candygosh]@op you should have said what's the longest word in
the english dictionary. Gosh, there are lots of dico now, english,
french, german, spanish, etc.

The word occurs in Shakespeare's play Love's Labour's Lost, and means
"with honorablenesses."

The word means, according Funk & Wagnalls New Standard Dictionary
of the English Language, "a doctrine of opposition to
disestablishment (withdrawal of state patronage, support, or
exclusive recognition from a church)". 

This is found in the Oxford English Dictionary, and means "the action
or habit of estimating something as worthless".

Used by Mark McShane in his novel Untimely Ripped (1963). It means
the act of surpassing the act of transubstantiation, which refers
specifically to the transformation of the bread and wine into the
body and blood of Christ during the Roman Catholic mass.

Found in Gould's Medical Dictionary. It is defined as "the surgical
formation of a passage between the gall bladder and hepatic duct,
on the one hand, andbetween the intestine and he gall bladder, on the
other".

(45 letters)

Found in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, 8th edition. It is
"a 
pneumoconiosis caused by the inhalation of very fine silicate or quartz
dust". It occurs especially in miners.

The title of a book on a shelf in a library in the classic ribald work
Gargantua and Pantagruel, by Francois Rabelais.

(51 letters)

A team that describes the structure of the human body; it occurs in
Heading Hall (1861), a novel by Thomas Love Peacock.

(52 letters) 

Describes the composition of the spa wters at Bristol, in
Gloucestershire, England. The word was coined by an English medical
writer, Dr. Edward Strother (1675 - 1737).

(100 letters)

This word is on the first pate of Finegans Wake by James Joyce, and is
a symbolic thunderclap representing the fall of Adam and Eve.
(Other 100-letter  words appear throughout the book.)

The English transliteration of a Greek word that occurs in Aristophanes'
play The Ecclesiazusae. The word is defined a "a goulash composed
of all the leftovers from the meals of the last two weeks", or
"has".[/quote]
i beg my oga e don do
i'm even tired of pronuncing, anyway u get am wella
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Optimisticgondy(m): 9:54pm On Nov 15, 2012
candygosh: @op you should have said what's the longest word in the english dictionary. Gosh, there are lots of dico now, english, french, german, spanish, etc.

The word occurs in Shakespeare's play Love's Labour's Lost, and means "with honorablenesses."

The word means, according Funk & Wagnalls New Standard Dictionary of the English Language, "a doctrine of opposition to disestablishment (withdrawal of state patronage, support, or exclusive recognition from a church)". 

This is found in the Oxford English Dictionary, and means "the action or habit of estimating something as worthless".

Used by Mark McShane in his novel Untimely Ripped (1963). It means the act of surpassing the act of transubstantiation, which refers specifically to the transformation of the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ during the Roman Catholic mass.

Found in Gould's Medical Dictionary. It is defined as "the surgical formation of a passage between the gall bladder and hepatic duct, on the one hand, andbetween the intestine and he gall bladder, on the other".

(45 letters)

Found in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, 8th edition. It is "a 
pneumoconiosis caused by the inhalation of very fine silicate or quartz dust". It occurs especially in miners.

The title of a book on a shelf in a library in the classic ribald work Gargantua and Pantagruel, by Francois Rabelais.

(51 letters)

A team that describes the structure of the human body; it occurs in Heading Hall (1861), a novel by Thomas Love Peacock.

(52 letters) 

Describes the composition of the spa wters at Bristol, in Gloucestershire, England. The word was coined by an English medical writer, Dr. Edward Strother (1675 - 1737).

(100 letters)

This word is on the first pate of Finegans Wake by James Joyce, and is a symbolic thunderclap representing the fall of Adam and Eve. (Other 100-letter  words appear throughout the book.)

The English transliteration of a Greek word that occurs in Aristophanes' play The Ecclesiazusae. The word is defined a "a goulash composed of all the leftovers from the meals of the last two weeks", or "has".
Chai....you dey pronounce words abi you dey speak in tongue? If those fake pastors see these words, they don get their own way of speaking in tongue be that o. Lababrapantikomutanpalatawereseeilomoriewukrakankratolaapaatayaregyanshuchikalapalatasilelobamuomunretanlarinsejukannitayobasawolelobalohunyose...hmmm...my own word na the longest jor..Sirniyeh, pay me my 10k o...lol
Re: What Is The Longest Word You Can Find In The Dictionary? by Sirniyeh(m): 12:04am On Nov 16, 2012
candygosh: @op you should have said what's the longest word in the english dictionary. Gosh, there are lots of dico now, english, french, german, spanish, etc.

2. Antidisestablishmentarianism
3. Floccinaucinihilipipification
4. Supercalifragilisticepl
5. Praetertranssubstantiationalistica
6. Hepaticocholecystostcholecystenterostomy
of the coprofied
etraganopterygon "has".
Candy... Na wa for you o. As i dey read am, the power of holy spirit just descended on me and my heaven opened, and one ogbonge business idea just fuleee for my oblongata. Shai, you don take me go another level of holy tongue. More anointing to your swagger

(1) (Reply)

Sweet Picture Of A Father And His Daughter Goes Viral(photo) / Help!!!!!! Waec :no Result For This Candidate In Specified Year / Crown Polytechnic Ado-ekiti. 2011/2012 Admission In Progress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.