Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,818 members, 7,918,635 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 01:05 PM

Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim (1467 Views)

Jehovah's Witness Dies After Rejecting Blood Transfusion / "Firstborn" Does It Mean First Created? Jehovah's Witness! / Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 14, 2012
Candace Conti Awarded $28M In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Case

⁠June 16, 2012 19:10:48

AP:

OAKLAND, Calif. -- A Northern California jury has awarded $28 million in damages to a woman who said the Jehovah's Witnesses allowed an adult member of a Fremont church to molest her when she was a child in the mid-1990s.

Alameda County jurors awarded $7 million in compensatory damages on Wednesday and another $21 million in punitive damages on Thursday to Candace Conti, her attorney, Rick Simons said.
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 14, 2012
As least we now know that child abuse is a western phenomenom that knows no church denomonation
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 14, 2012
chukwudi44: As least we now know that child abuse is a western phenomenom that knows no church denomonation

Where is Ijawkid?

He loves to bash the catholic church, lets see what he has to say now grin grin grin grin
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by ijawkid(m): 8:57pm On Nov 14, 2012
What's the name of the adult you mentioned??

Where is the name of the person that did the molesting ??......

And please kindly explain what this means ""a woman who said the Jehovah's Witnesses
""allowed"" an adult member of a Fremont
church to molest her when she was a child
in the mid-1990s.""

How did the JW's allow her to be molested??

And who is the adult??

Where is the full story...

Oya paste am make we see.....

Paste the link......

Meanwhile its like someone else just posted how just one priest molested numerous kids...just one priest o......pedophilea is so much attached to the catholic church like no other church.....

I never comment on posts where many times catholic priests are exposed,but it seems you want me to go there too....

All what I do on nairaland is attack doctrines that has no scriptural basis.....if you think this your OP is like a pay back on the witnesses you might be wasting your time....

Meanwhile I need the link to this OP....

If you want us to start pasting scandals you go run o.....but I won't resort to doing that.....

Instead I will make you leave the idols you worship...
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by ijawkid(m): 9:01pm On Nov 14, 2012
Logicboy03:

Where is Ijawkid?

He loves to bash the catholic church, lets see what he has to say now grin grin grin grin

See me here...I dey kampe....chukwudi has been azz whooped right left center...........now he's acting like a child that just lost his toy........

If we have to resort to bringing out pedophilia reports him go run o.......

Tell am o....
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by pastormustwacc: 9:10pm On Nov 14, 2012
Wetin be your own with who is bashing which church? I hate bashing any church - even if it is a shrine called a church.
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by ijawkid(m): 9:29pm On Nov 14, 2012
pastormustwacc: Wetin be your own with who is bashing which church? I hate bashing any church - even if it is a shrine called a church.

My question till this moment is ::::who molested the woman??.....

Chukwudi has stooped so low to this.....

I don't knw if he has forgotten that his church has got so much skeleton in its closet.....

Instead of him to act matured by using scriptures to tackle doctrinal issues he is resorting to this....

Na him go first run if e start......
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 14, 2012
Compared to the millions of cases of priests abusing nuns, small boys and all manner of gayism, this is nothing.

The catholic church is not a beacon of morality and therefore not qualified to condemn other organisations.
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by pastormustwacc: 9:42pm On Nov 14, 2012
Exactly, but yet they will keep claiming their church is heaven-on-earth, i wonder why. Even when i was a proud member of the rcc church serving on the alter, i knew i will one day leave, since my tolerance level was exhausted.

1 Like

Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Nobody: 9:58pm On Nov 14, 2012
More details on the case

Thirdwitness | Jun 23, 2012

Did you know that Candace Conti's parents let her go home with Kendrick almost every Sunday after the meeting alone for about two years? Take a look at the deposition Candace Conti gave making this claim.

Q = Attorney's question.
A = Conti's answer.

13 A. He (Kendrick) would take me to his house after meetings.
14 Q. Were these day meetings Or night meetings?
15 A. Sunday meetings.

Q. And starting from about age nine he would take you to his house several times a month?

A. Witness nods head affirmative1y.

Q. Every month?

19 Q. Until 1997

20 A. Witness nods head affirmative1y.

23 Q. Referring to the abuse that took place in Kendrick's home, was anyone else present during any of 'these instances?

A. NO.

And all these visits she made alone to Kendrick's house did you know that her parents NEVER themselves went to Kendrick's house?

Q. Was he someone who would visit your parents'
14 home?
15 A. Yes.
16 Q. Your parents visit his home?
17 A . No.

And then rather than pick her up at Kendrick's home after she went there alone virtually every sunday her parents or parent would simply meet back at the Kingdom Hall and pick her up there.

Q. What would happen after these incidents?

A. He would take me home.

Q. And...?

A. And my dad would pick me up.

Q. Your dad would pick you up?

Q. Where would your dad pick you up?

5 A. Back at the Kingdom Hall.

What do you think of Candace Conti's parents?

I wonder why she never objected to going home alone with this molester every Sunday?
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 14, 2012
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 14, 2012
Maryville man seeks awareness of sexual abuse within Jehovah’s Witnesses

Katie Forrester | Daily Times Correspondent

Charlie Jones was just 8 years old when he was the victim of sexual abuse by a family friend. It happened when his parents left him, his sister and a friend with their “brother” in the Jehovah’s Witnesses a few times.

“He’d take me to the other room and molest me back there,” Jones said. This abuse happened on at least two occasions that Jones can remember, and each time the other two children were told that Jones had misbehaved and was about to receive punishment.

Jones said that on one occasion his mother came back and the man cleaned him up and told his mother that he was punished for misbehaving to explain why Jones was crying. Jones said that he was punished by his unknowing mother on the way home for not behaving as he should have.

Parents didn’t know

“The issue was that my parents did not know he was a predator,” Jones said.

According to Jones, a major factor in cases such as his within the Jehovah’s Witnesses is the secrecy policy. Jones said that the written rule for bringing to light cases of sexual abuse states that for any accusation you must have two or more witnesses, including the victim. If both witnesses were victims of different attacks by the same person, then those testimonies would suffice as two witnesses.

The precedence given for that rule was based on the Old Testament, and once allegations are taken to the elders who serve as church leaders, they cannot be discussed in the congregation or otherwise. Jones said that coming forth to any other person is punishable by “disfellowshipping,” which is sort of a “social death.”

Those who have been disfellowshipped are shunned by even family, and are no longer members of the church. After a case is taken to the elders, the elders will confront the accused, and if the accused denies the allegations, the elders will confront the accused in front of the victim.

According to Jones, should the accused still deny misconduct, the elders will tell the victim that they are not to speak of the incident to anyone.

“When something like this happens, you automatically lose everything you know,” he said.

On a mission

Jones also said that because the Jehovah’s Witnesses are so inclusive that the risk of having pedophiles within the congregation is high. “It’s automatic that you trust each other, which is why it’s even more important that this information is spread out. They automatically trust any witness they meet. That’s their only choice,” Jones said.

“I wasn’t silenced in the traditional manner that most kids were,” Jones said, “I knew if I went about telling about this, I would lose my family and lose my friends. Because they (the elders) side with the congregation, not the victim, you lose friends, family, everything you know in one day.”

Now Jones, a Maryville resident, is on a mission to make people aware of sexual abuse within the organization.

“What I’ve done is involved myself in the Silent Lambs,” Jones said. The Silent Lambs is an organization founded by a former Jehovah’s Witnesses elder, Bill Bowan, that is designed to give support to abuse victims within the Jehovah’s Witnesses. “It’s tough for Bill because he has to hear these horror stories on a daily basis,” Jones said.

Bowan used to be an elder in a Kentucky chapter of the Jehovah’s Witnesses. “I was a part of the organization for 43 years of my life,” Bowan said in a phone interview.

While he was an elder, Bowan was asked to clean out some of the congregation’s older files. “I discovered that a fellow elder in my church was a confessed child molester,” Bowan said.

Bowan attempted to have this elder removed from his position for one year and even found evidence that the elder had currently been molesting another child. After contacting the Jehovah’s Witnesses legal department, Bowan said he was advised to leave the matter alone.

Bowan wrote about his endeavors online and victims began to contact him with their stories and Silent Lambs was created.

“Silent Lambs has been in existence for 12 years. I founded Silent Lambs basically to give victims a voice,” Bowan said. Now Bowan has been disfellowshipped and is shunned even by close family.

Bowan said that he has spoken with at least 7,000 victims over the years. “There’s multiple, multiple cases of children being molested and then it’s covered up by church policies,” Bowan said.

“The Silent Lambs is not an anti-Jehovah’s Witnesses organization,” Bowan said, “My purpose is not to make people leave the Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

Bowan said the Silent Lambs’s true goal is to provide awareness to Jehovah’s Witness members of pedophiles who are within congregations so that children may be protected. In short, the secrecy policy is the cause of contention. Of those who prey on children within the Jehovah’s Witnesses, Bowan said, “They are using the trust of the organization to do it.”

Action in courts

Bowan said he has contacts within Bethel, the Jehovah’s Witnesses world headquarters. These contacts have provided him with information from a database that the Jehovah’s Witnesses have compiled of known sex offenders within the congregations. According to Bowan, as of 2002, that list is up to 23,720 confessed offenders or cases where there were two or more witnesses.

Bowan also said that the Silent Lambs has had some recent success with lawsuits against the Jehovah’s Witnesses. In 2011 Candace Conti, with the help of the Silent Lambs, of Oakland, Calif., sued the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, the North Fremont Congregation and Jonathan Kendrick. Conti alleged that Kendrick sexually abused her as a child, and the Watchtower’s secrecy policy prevented any member of the congregation from being warned of his offenses.

The Alameda County Superior Court awarded Conti a total of $28 million in damages. The Watchtower’s press release about the Candace Conti case states that the organization will try to appeal the court’s decision on grounds that a sentence made against a corporation because of the actions of a member of the organization is unprecedented.

The local Kingdom Hall was contacted by The Daily Times, but did not wish to comment.

“In my opinion, in my experience, Candace is just the tip of the iceberg,” Bowan said. He also said that the lawsuit was “like pushing a boulder up a big hill.” The fervor will continue for members of the Silent Lambs. Jones leaves flyers for the Silent Lambs at local Kingdom Halls as part of his fight, and Bowan continues talking to victims on a daily basis.

Now that this trial is done, the Silent Lambs will continue to fight, and they will remain an outlet for those who have stories to share.
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Nobody: 10:14pm On Nov 14, 2012
[/quote]. frosbel(m): Quote Post

Compared to the millions of cases of priests abusing nuns, small boys and all manner of gayism, this is nothing. [quote]
Millions of cases ke? You must be high on opium. Any way this is not a case against d RCC but rather jW so don't drag them into it
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by BARRISTERS: 2:11am On Nov 15, 2012
@chukwudi44

the case has been appealled now since august, and as you can even see the motive to appeal in your own quotes below;

The Alameda County Superior Court awarded Conti a total of $28 million in damages. The Watchtower’s press release about the Candace Conti case states that the organization will try to appeal the court’s decision [/b]on grounds that a sentence made against a corporation because of the [b]actions of a member of the organization is unprecedented.

IT IS ALSO NOTEWORTHY THAT WATCHTOWER WERE AWARDED CAD$142,000 WRONGFULLY JOINED IN AN ABUSE CASE!
In 2004, a Canadian court awarded CAD$5000 to a plaintiff for the negligence of an elder who failed to follow the official policy of the church. [size=14pt]However, the court dismissed charges against the Watchtower Society, and directed the plaintiff to pay the Watchtower Society's legal fees amounting to CAD$142,000.[/size]

JWS are not cyborg,but they seek to teach common people,former drug addicts,drunkards and many more even child abusers to know God, so if one of these relapse,what and how do they treat it, first of all,disfellowship and even at times handed over to the police,see how they treat it below link;

http://www.jw-media.org/aboutjw/article23.htm

they are on top of the situation,as anybody fingered are disffelowshipped and can never be a leader in their church.

All these cases are only limited to the united states,and out of 12,300 congregations[/size] … During the last 100 years,[size=14pt] only thirteen lawsuits filed in the United States; In seven of these lawsuits ,.[/size] [size=18pt]accusations against the Watchtower Society itself were dismissed by the courts,THATS MASSIVELY COMMENDABLE.
WE CAN CONCLUDE HERE THAT, JWS HAVE EFFECTIVELY PUT A MEASURE TO ERADICATE IT.

3 Likes

Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by BARRISTERS: 2:26am On Nov 15, 2012
@ chukwudi44
CATHOLIC CHURCH'S OWN CASE HAS ECLYPSED THE WHOLE CONTINENT, ONLY IN THE USA,95 PERCENT OF THE DIOCEESE WERE AFFECTED,

WHAT IS YOUR CHURCH,CATHOLIC DOING,THAT THEY HAVE TO SETTLE CASSES OF NOT THE MEMBERS BUT PRIESTS AMOUNTING TO[b] 3BILLION DOLLARS[/b], ONLY ON SEX ABUSE ALONE, AND 5 PARISHES WERE GIVEN BANKRUPCY PROTECTION?[/b]PARISHES SOLD TO SETTLE ABUSE FROM PRIEST.

LETS SEE BELOW;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cases_of_child_sexual_abuse_in_the_Roman_Catholic_Church

[b]Roman Catholic sex abuse cases

Starting with the united states.

BishopAccountability.org,

an "online archive established by lay Catholics," [size14pt]reports that over 3,000 "civil lawsuits have been filed against the church" in the United States,[13] some of these cases have resulted in multi-million dollar settlements with many claimants.[/size] The Roman Catholic Diocese of Dallas paid [size=14pt]$30.9 million[/size] in 1998 to twelve victims of one priest [size=14pt]($44.1 million in present-day terms)[/size].[14][15] In July 2003 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Louisville [size=14pt]paid $25.7 million [/size]to "settle child sexual-abuse allegations made in 240 lawsuits naming 34 priests and other church workers."[14] In 2003, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston settled a large case for $85 million with 552 alleged victims.[16] In 2004, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange settled nearly [size=14pt]90 cases for $100 million.[/size][17] In April 2007 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon agreed to a [size=14pt]$75 million settlement with 177 claimants and the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Seattle agreed to a $48 million settlement with more than 160 victims.[/size][18] In July 2007 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles reached a[size=14pt] $660 million agreement with more than 500 alleged victims, in December 2006, the archdiocese had a settlement of 45 lawsuits for $60 million.[/size][19][20] In September 2007, the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego reached a [size=14pt]$198.1 million "agreement with 144 childhood sexual abuse victims[/size]."[21] In July 2008 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Denver agreed "to pay [size=14pt]$5.5 million to settle 18 claims of childhood sexual abuse.[/size]"[22] The Associate Press estimated the total from settlements of sex abuse cases from 1950-2007 to be more than $2 billion.[20] [size=18pt]BishopAccountability reports that figure reached more than $3 billion in 2012.[/size][13][23] Addressing[b] "a flood of abuse claims" five dioceses

[size=14pt](Tucson, Arizona; Spokane, Washington; Portland, Oregon.; Davenport, Iowa, and San Diego) got bankruptcy protection.[20] Eight Catholic diocese have declared bankruptcy due to sex abuse cases from 2004-2011.[/size]
[b]As it became clear that there was truth to many of the allegations and that there was a pattern of cover-up in a number of large dioceses across the United States, the issue exploded into a nationwide scandal, creating a crisis for the Catholic Church in the United States. Allegations in the United States also encouraged victims in other nations to come forward, rapidly creating a global crisis for the Church. Over several decades in the 20th century, priests and lay members of religious orders in the Catholic Church had sexually abused minors on a scale such that the accusations reached into the thousands.[25][size=14pt]]A major aggravating factor was the actions of Catholic bishops to keep these crimes secret and to reassign the accused to other parishes in positions where they had continued unsupervised contact with youth.
[/size]

[size=14pt]AND TO WORSEN THE CASE, THE CATHOLICS GIVE UP COMPLETELY IN CONTROLLING THE SCORGE,SEE BELOW;
[/size]
In response to criticism that the Catholic hierarchy should have acted more quickly and decisively to remove priests accused of sexual misconduct, contemporary bishops have responded that the hierarchy was unaware until recent years of the danger in shuffling priests from one parish to another and in concealing the priests' problems from those they served. [size=18pt]For example, Cardinal Roger Mahony of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, said: "We have said repeatedly that ... our understanding of this problem and the way it's dealt with today evolved, and that in those years ago, decades ago, people didn't realize how serious this was, and so, rather than pulling people out of ministry directly and fully, they were moved."[/size]
[edit]Diocesan response to allegations

Some bishops have been heavily criticized for moving offending priests from parish to parish, where they still had personal contact with children, rather than seeking to have them permanently removed from the priesthood. Instead of reporting the incidents to police, many dioceses directed the offending priests to seek psychological treatment and assessment. According to the John Jay report, nearly 40% of priests alleged to have committed sexual abuse participated in treatment programs. The more allegations a priest had, the more likely he was to participate in treatment.

REMEMBER THAT THERE ARE OTHER NUMEROUS CLAIMS BELOW,IF YOU HAVE THE TIME JUST CLICK ON EACH COUNTRY BELOW ON WIKIPEDIA'S PAGE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cases_of_child_sexual_abuse_in_the_Roman_Catholic_Church

1 Austria
1.1 Archdiocese of Vienna
1.1.1 Diocese of Sankt Pölten
2 Belgium
2.1 Archdiocese of Mechlin-Brussels
2.1.1 Diocese of Antwerp
2.1.2 Diocese of Bruges
2.1.3 Diocese of Ghent
2.1.4 Diocese of Hasselt
2.1.5 Diocese of Liège
2.1.6 Diocese of Namur
2.1.7 Diocese of Tournai
2.2 Salesians
3 Croatia
3.1 Archdiocese of Zagreb
3.2 Archdiocese of Rijeka
4 Czech Republic
4.1 Archdiocese of Olomouc
5 Denmark
5.1 Diocese of Copenhagen
6 France
6.1 Archdiocese of Paris
6.1.1 Diocese of Meaux
6.2 Archdiocese of Rouen
6.2.1 Diocese of Evreux
6.3 Archdiocese of Besançon
7 Germany
7.1 Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
7.2 Diocese of Regensburg
7.3 Archdiocese of Berlin
7.3.1 Canisius-Kolleg Berlin
7.4 Archdiocese of Freiburg
7.4.1 Kolleg Sankt Blasien
8 Great Britain
8.1 Archdiocese of Southwark
8.1.1 Diocese of Arundel and Brighton
8.1.2 Diocese of Plymouth
8.2 Archdiocese of Cardiff
8.3 Benedictines
8.4 Kiltegan Fathers
8.5 Diocese of Middlesbrough
8.6 Archdiocese of Birmingham
9 Ireland
9.1 Archdiocese of Cashel and Emly
9.1.1 Diocese of Cloyne
9.1.2 Diocese of Limerick
9.2 Archdiocese of Dublin
9.2.1 Diocese of Ferns
9.3 Archdiocese of Tuam
9.4 Archdiocese of Armagh
9.4.1 Diocese of Raphoe
10 Italy
10.1 Archdiocese of Trento
10.1.1 Diocese of Bolzano-Brixen
10.2 Archdiocese of Venice
10.2.1 Diocese of Verona
11 Malta
11.1 Archdiocese of Malta
12 Netherlands
12.1 Archdiocese of Utrecht
12.1.1 Diocese of Den Bosch
12.1.2 Diocese of Roermond
12.1.3 Diocese of Rotterdam
12.2 Salesians
13 Norway
13.1 Territorial Prelature of Trondheim
14 Poland
14.1 Archdiocese of Poznan
14.2 Archdiocese of Warsaw
14.2.1 Diocese of Plock
15 Slovenia
15.1 Archdiocese of Ljubljana
16 Spain
16.1 Society of Jesus
17 Sweden
17.1 Diocese of Stockholm
17.2 Sweden generally
18 See also
19 References

IN CONCLUSION, ONLY IF ONLY IN AMERICA 80 PER-CENT OF ONLY THE PRIESTS ARE SEX ABUSERS WHAT DO YO SAY ABOUT THE CHURCH MEMBERS.
THEY HAD TO GIVE UP IN CONTROLLING IT!
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Ubenedictus(m): 2:58am On Nov 15, 2012
frosbel: Compared to the millions of cases of priests abusing nuns, small boys and all manner of gayism, this is nothing.

The catholic church is not a beacon of morality and therefore not qualified to condemn other organisations.
someone once showed me statistics that says that when d cases of abuse in the protestant churches are all added up it beats that of the catholic church. But thats that and i'm not interested in that arguement.
As for the bolded my friend you are out of line.
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Ubenedictus(m): 3:00am On Nov 15, 2012
pastormustwacc: Exactly, but yet they will keep claiming their church is heaven-on-earth, i wonder why. Even when i was a proud member of the rcc church serving on the alter, i knew i will one day leave, since my tolerance level was exhausted.
i havent yet seen anybody making d claim that catholics dont sin!
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Ubenedictus(m): 3:13am On Nov 15, 2012
BARRISTERS: @ chukwudi4
LETS SEE BELOW;

Roman Catholic sex abuse cases

Starting with the united states.

BishopAccountability.org,

an "online archive established by lay Catholics," [size14pt]reports that over 3,000 "civil lawsuits have been filed against the church" in the United States,[13] some of these cases have resulted in multi-million dollar settlements with many claimants.[/size] The Roman Catholic Diocese of Dallas paid [size=14pt]$30.9 million[/size] in 1998 to twelve victims of one priest [size=14pt]($44.1 million in present-day terms)[/size].[14][15] In July 2003 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Louisville [size=14pt]paid $25.7 million [/size]to "settle child sexual-abuse allegations made in 240 lawsuits naming 34 priests and other church workers."[14] In 2003, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston settled a large case for $85 million with 552 alleged victims.[16] In 2004, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange settled nearly [size=14pt]90 cases for $100 million.[/size][17] In April 2007 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon agreed to a [size=14pt]$75 million settlement with 177 claimants and the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Seattle agreed to a $48 million settlement with more than 160 victims.[/size][18] In July 2007 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles reached a[size=14pt] $660 million agreement with more than 500 alleged victims, in December 2006, the archdiocese had a settlement of 45 lawsuits for $60 million.[/size][19][20] In September 2007, the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Diego reached a [size=14pt]$198.1 million "agreement with 144 childhood sexual abuse victims[/size]."[21] In July 2008 the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Denver agreed "to pay [size=14pt]$5.5 million to settle 18 claims of childhood sexual abuse.[/size]"[22] The Associate Press estimated the total from settlements of sex abuse cases from 1950-2007 to be more than $2 billion.[20] [size=18pt]BishopAccountability reports that figure reached more than $3 billion in 2012.[/size][13][23] Addressing[b] "a flood of abuse claims" five dioceses

[size=14pt](Tucson, Arizona; Spokane, Washington; Portland, Oregon.; Davenport, Iowa, and San Diego) got bankruptcy protection.[20] Eight Catholic diocese have declared bankruptcy due to sex abuse cases from 2004-2011.[/size]
[b]As it became clear that there was truth to many of the allegations and that there was a pattern of cover-up in a number of large dioceses across the United States, the issue exploded into a nationwide scandal, creating a crisis for the Catholic Church in the United States. Allegations in the United States also encouraged victims in other nations to come forward, rapidly creating a global crisis for the Church. Over several decades in the 20th century, priests and lay members of religious orders in the Catholic Church had sexually abused minors on a scale such that the accusations reached into the thousands.[25][size=14pt]]A major aggravating factor was the actions of Catholic bishops to keep these crimes secret and to reassign the accused to other parishes in positions where they had continued unsupervised contact with youth.
[/size]

[size=14pt]AND TO WORSEN THE CASE, THE CATHOLICS GIVE UP COMPLETELY IN CONTROLLING THE SCORGE,SEE BELOW;
[/size]
In response to criticism that the Catholic hierarchy should have acted more quickly and decisively to remove priests accused of sexual misconduct, contemporary bishops have responded that the hierarchy was unaware until recent years of the danger in shuffling priests from one parish to another and in concealing the priests' problems from those they served. [size=18pt]For example, Cardinal Roger Mahony of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, said: "We have said repeatedly that ... our understanding of this problem and the way it's dealt with today evolved, and that in those years ago, decades ago, people didn't realize how serious this was, and so, rather than pulling people out of ministry directly and fully, they were moved."[/size]
[edit]Diocesan response to allegations

Some bishops have been heavily criticized for moving offending priests from parish to parish, where they still had personal contact with children, rather than seeking to have them permanently removed from the priesthood. Instead of reporting the incidents to police, many dioceses directed the offending priests to seek psychological treatment and assessment.
so this is where d bankrupcy thread came from? Just note that most of these cases were decades ago, and decades ago pedophilia was treated as a sickness instead of a condition. The priest were usually treated even with certification, that approach only worsened the case. For all that happened all i can really say is: I'm sorry!
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by pastormustwacc: 6:28am On Nov 15, 2012
Ubenedictus: i havent yet seen anybody making d claim that catholics dont sin!
Ahem, you do have a point, but we have these species of catholics on nairaland. . .
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by ijawkid(m): 6:41am On Nov 15, 2012
Where is that chukwudi.....

I told him not to start this....it won't end well.......

JW's don't conceal the wrong doings of its members....when cases are brought to there notice they iÑvestigate and take necessary actions.....the witnesses even report wrong doings that take place amongst the congregations and drastic measures are employed......serious cases that are known are reported to the police and not swept under the rug....that is why such cases of pedophilea are infinitesimal.....

I told chukwudi to be focused if not he'll only be bringing more shame to the RCC......

@ Barrister.....just leave this issue.....na small pikin dey worry chukwudi............him go soon run...

@UBEnidictus.......you are one matured catholic......shake my hand.....
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Nobody: 6:56am On Nov 15, 2012
So if I get you right it is normal and mature for a non-catholic to critisize the catholic church but improper and childish for catholics to critisize non-catholics?

More than 30 anti-catholic threads have been opened in the last two weeks which you have participated actively without seeing it as childish.I now open a few anti-jw threads and become childish what a way of reasoning
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by ijawkid(m): 7:07am On Nov 15, 2012
chukwudi44: So if I get you right it is normal and mature for a non-catholic to critisize the catholic church but improper and childish for catholics to critisize non-catholics?

More than 30 anti-catholic threads have been opened in the last two weeks which you have participated actively without seeing it as childish.I now open a few anti-jw threads and become childish what a way of reasoning

And who opened the more than 30 anti-catholic threads??.......JW's??......Ís that what you think??......

When I call you jejune you keep wondering why........

Now what have you accomplished but bringing more shame to your church.....

I can see how much the RCC just in the USA has spent for pedophilea cases alone.....

Did you read it??.......
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by pastormustwacc: 7:24am On Nov 15, 2012
chukwudi44: So if I get you right it is normal and mature for a non-catholic to critisize the catholic church but improper and childish for catholics to critisize non-catholics?

So you have really been counting? And you do believe that everyone posting here are children like you?
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Ubenedictus(m): 2:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
pastormustwacc:
Ahem, you do have a point, but we have these species of catholics on nairaland. . .
it seems i am d only person wu havent met d "catholic dont sin" group!
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Ubenedictus(m): 2:25pm On Nov 15, 2012
ijawkid: Where is that chukwudi.....

JW's don't conceal the wrong doings of its members....when cases are brought to there notice they iÑvestigate and take necessary actions.....the witnesses even report wrong doings that take place amongst the congregations and drastic measures are employed......serious cases that are known are reported to the police and not swept under the rug....that is why such cases of pedophilea are infinitesimal.....

I told chukwudi to be focused if not he'll only be bringing more shame to the RCC......

@ Barrister.....just leave this issue.....na small pikin dey worry chukwudi............him go soon run...

hahaha, weytin ijawkid no go do 4 arguement? Now e say i mature, before i leave nairaland i must see at least one post where ijawkid dey shake e head 4 me or another thing. Today im d matured bro ube 2marow i will b another idol worshipper. Lol
ijawkid i hail u
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Ubenedictus(m): 2:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
pastormustwacc:
So you have really been counting? And you do believe that everyone posting here are children like you?
well chukwudi does have a point! I have seen thread from d catholic church practice dark magic to d pope in hell, to whatever, just name it. I have seen pipo accuse me of bliving stuff i know nothing about and twisting whatever i believe so that they can ascribe d title "pagan" to it. It happens, it has happened and i guess it will continue. Though i really hate that stuff (wen pipo are simply interested in distructive criticism), i dont believe dis is d best way to address it. I dont believe 2 wrongs make a right. Chukwudi if u are interested in pasting news paste news and dont add scandal criticism to it. If people have pick their enemy as d catholic church let them, u are responsible for what u paste not 4 what other wrote.
Peace
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Ubenedictus(m): 2:38pm On Nov 15, 2012
ijawkid: Where is that chukwudi.....

ijawkid u don misspell my username again abi?
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Nobody: 4:09am On Nov 16, 2012
ijawkid:

And who opened the more than 30 anti-catholic threads??.......JW's??......Ís that what you think??......

When I call you jejune you keep wondering why........

Now what have you accomplished but bringing more shame to your church.....

I can see how much the RCC just in the USA has spent for pedophilea cases alone.....

Did you read it??.......

I am only concerned about the hypocrisy here!! Why should it be normal to post anti-catholic threads but childish to post anti-jw threads.you are quite pathetic
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Nobody: 4:13am On Nov 16, 2012
pastormustwacc:

You were not childish in posting anti-catholic threads because it was normal ke? It is always mature to debate anticatholicism right.

Well nairaland is a free place and I have every right to post anything I like and I tell you more would be comming in the following dayz
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by Nobody: 4:16am On Nov 16, 2012
Ubenedictus: well chukwudi does have a point! I have seen thread from d catholic church practice dark magic to d pope in hell, to whatever, just name it. I have seen pipo accuse me of bliving stuff i know nothing about and twisting whatever i believe so that they can ascribe d title "pagan" to it. It happens, it has happened and i guess it will continue. Though i really hate that stuff (wen pipo are simply interested in distructive criticism), i dont believe dis is d best way to address it. I dont believe 2 wrongs make a right. Chukwudi if u are interested in pasting news paste news and dont add scandal criticism to it. If people have pick their enemy as d catholic church let them, u are responsible for what u paste not 4 what other wrote.
Peace

I am only posting to expose the seeming hypocrisy of these peeps.Some of them will keep shouting as if these things don't happen in their churches
Re: Woman Awarded $28m In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Claim by pastormustwacc: 6:23am On Nov 16, 2012
^^You are on point.

(1) (Reply)

Can We Say Working In A Brewery Is A Sin? / Is Electronic Bible biblically Good For Use In Church? / A Former Writer Of Watchtower Articles, High Ranking JW Relates Her Resume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.