Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,714 members, 7,921,548 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 08:24 AM

At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? (9400 Views)

Favourite Memory Of A Lost Loved One / Divorce Or Till Death Do Us Part? / Most Painful Death Of A Loved One You Had (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by souleymon(m): 12:19pm On Nov 19, 2012
Not Almost immediately
But i have had to delete almost a week later
Even un friending on Facebook Page
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 19, 2012
Received a call that a friend just died from two different sources sometime ago, couldn't believe it. So in other to confirm, i stupidly dial the dead friends number and somebody picked the call; so thinking it was the dead friend i fled from the room as if all the devils in hell are after me. The experience was better imagined cos when i came to my senses i noticed i had a cut on my fore head that was when i remembered banging my head somewhere. So i delete immediately do not want a repetition of that.
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 19, 2012
It feels good to know that I'm not alone, I still have my Mom's number and keep all her sweet messages and the food recipe she sent. At times, I feel the urge to call her number, hoping she might still be alive. Missed her a lot, wishing there is a network in heaven. smiley

2 Likes

Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by daramsmoque: 12:30pm On Nov 19, 2012
I think it's a personal issue. I lost my mum over two years ago and I still have her numbers on my fone.
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by nagoma(m): 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2012
nosa gold:

What if she picks up yur call when nxt yu dial d number?

I dialled the number of a late close relative and curiously the call was answered.

It was disappointing , MTN reallocate numbers that have not been used for a certain length of time!
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by dapachez: 12:38pm On Nov 19, 2012
Linguist: I haven't deleted my late dad's number since august last year cos I still try his number just hoping he will pickup, its a year plus and am still in denial stage not wantn to delete it. Don't think I will now. So to answer dat its a personal thing, u can decide to keep or delete it.
its a personal thing,lost my mum april and I don't think am gonna delete her number from my phone at all. I once called the number and it rang,the shock was beyond description only to discover my lil bro switched on her phone
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by dapachez: 12:39pm On Nov 19, 2012
Linguist: I haven't deleted my late dad's number since august last year cos I still try his number just hoping he will pickup, its a year plus and am still in denial stage not wantn to delete it. Don't think I will now. So to answer dat its a personal thing, u can decide to keep or delete it.
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 19, 2012
My Dad died 3 years ago but I still have his numbers on my phone & I don't have any plans to delete them.
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by xrazzy(m): 12:42pm On Nov 19, 2012
grin
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Telthetruth(m): 12:54pm On Nov 19, 2012

u better stop trying the line, because if by peradventure he picks the call hmmmmmm, he's definitely telling you to come home. Be Warned!
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by freecocoa(f): 12:57pm On Nov 19, 2012
Its been two years and I've not deleted my mum's number, I'm not planning to anyways.
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by nosagold(m): 12:57pm On Nov 19, 2012
nagoma:

I dialled the number of a late close relative and curiously the call was answered.

It was disappointing , MTN reallocate numbers that have not been used for a certain length of time!

Lol scary if yu ask ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥, I don't knw hw I wud feel if I dial my late mum's number and I wud hear her voice saying " kenny my son would you like Ť☺ join ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ here? Why re you disturbing my peace? Don't you want me to rest in peace?" In a very scary voice, walai na that time I go throw my phone inside lagoon lol
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by chux76(m): 1:13pm On Nov 19, 2012
Sorry to digress from the main thing in discuss,when my dad died years ago in August 2006,he didn't have a phone then because of his illness/condition which later led to his death and also because we couldn't afford one for him b4 his illness,my mum and I were the only ones who had phones in our family then(poverty tinz then but all tnkx 2 God now).But I had a son who died 7 months after he was born in February 2007,it took me almost 3yrs(some time in 2010) to give out his clothing,shoes,toys and other accessories I had packaged in a very large GMG bag. Even when we moved to our new flat,I took his belongings with me,most times I open the bag and bring out some of the shoes and toys and cry myself out. I just made up my mind one day and decided to move on,so I took the bag and gave it to St Vincent de Paul society so they could send it to families that would need it.
It really difficult letting go of memories of loved ones but move on we must. Tears are dropping my eyes even as I type this because the memories of losing two loved ones (My Dad and my 7months old son) in a spate of 6months was just too much for me to bear then...but God knows best sha!! So I'd say it's a personal choice what one choose to do after losing a loved one.

P.S
This might sound crazy,but I still have the nail clippings from my dad's fingernails and toenails in a matchbox tucked somewhere my wardrobe. I was cutting his nails when he died in my arms so I kinda kept them as a reminder of him.Weird isn't it??

3 Likes

Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by leonshom(m): 1:24pm On Nov 19, 2012
I had most of my training in d field of Sociology,so I'm a realistic person. I see no reason 2 kip such number,infact it has no value 2 had 2my life but 2 bring more grieve and sorrows, so I'll rather delete such contact than 2kip 4 no reason. If d deceased made huge impact while he or she was alive, d memory wuld neva fade off,not necessarily kipin d phone contact number !
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Nov 19, 2012
Thank You for this post, I have been struggling with this for months.
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by 18wheeler: 1:40pm On Nov 19, 2012
Lost my mum january 2008. Her number still in my contacts. Even have this crazy urge to call it sometimes. Not been easy to erase anything about her from my life. Her personal stuff still hang around the family house too.
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by UNLEASHED(m): 1:52pm On Nov 19, 2012
My vet died of cancer last year and my dog mistakenly deleted his contact off me phone
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by olumyde5(m): 1:52pm On Nov 19, 2012
Still have my deceased aunt number in my phone book, wao just seems like yesterday when we use to rock n roll **phew**
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by princeonx: 2:00pm On Nov 19, 2012
I called my dad at least once every day in the last 10yrs before he passed two years ago. I spoke with him about 2 hours before he died and because I call/speak with him so much I got so used to his number and deleting it from my phone doesn't make a difference cux I know his number off-heart till date! RIP dad!
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Shugamania(f): 2:12pm On Nov 19, 2012
I didnt delete my mum's number until i changed my fone and lost all contacts a few months back. Infact, we left the phone on for a long time and kept charging it until we got tired of d calls asking 2 speak with mum even after a year. Some pple even went as far as asking ''who is dis? Is it true?'' and all sort of silly questions. We eventually asked mtn to block d line and it's still blocked.
And yes..i still dial d number once in a while too, it's an impulse.. infact it was d first thing i did when i saw this thread on d homepage.

1 Like

Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 19, 2012
Dr young: Received a call that a friend just died from two different sources sometime ago, couldn't believe it. So in other to confirm, i stupidly dial the dead friends number and somebody picked the call; so thinking it was the dead friend i fled from the room as if all the devils in hell are after me. The experience was better imagined cos when i came to my senses i noticed i had a cut on my fore head that was when i remembered banging my head somewhere. So i delete immediately do not want a repetition of that.
My friend next time try and relax and do not ever panic.

Plus learn to banish fear from yourr mind. It is very important.
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 19, 2012
I don't usually want to remember. Since my Uncle's death I try not to remember the day or year and I deleted his number almost immediately. It has helped to a large extent but I still remember him and break down.
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by baby124: 3:07pm On Nov 19, 2012
I still have all 4 numbers. The guy was a gadget freak. I got so angry when someone else called me with one of the numbers and was even trying to take it over. I don't have the courage to get rid of his number. sad. We were the very very best of friends. If I do I feel like I would have truly lost him and a part of me. RIP Dad.
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by vivaciousvivi(f): 3:10pm On Nov 19, 2012
chux76: Sorry to digress from the main thing in discuss,when my dad died years ago in August 2006,he didn't have a phone then because of his illness/condition which later led to his death and also because we couldn't afford one for him b4 his illness,my mum and I were the only ones who had phones in our family then(poverty tinz then but all tnkx 2 God now).But I had a son who died 7 months after he was born in February 2007,it took me almost 3yrs(some time in 2010) to give out his clothing,shoes,toys and other accessories I had packaged in a very large GMG bag. Even when we moved to our new flat,I took his belongings with me,most times I open the bag and bring out some of the shoes and toys and cry myself out. I just made up my mind one day and decided to move on,so I took the bag and gave it to St Vincent de Paul society so they could send it to families that would need it.
It really difficult letting go of memories of loved ones but move on we must. Tears are dropping my eyes even as I type this because the memories of losing two loved ones (My Dad and my 7months old son) in a spate of 6months was just too much for me to bear then...but God knows best sha!! So I'd say it's a personal choice what one choose to do after losing a loved one.

P.S
This might sound crazy,but I still have the nail clippings from my dad's fingernails and toenails in a matchbox tucked somewhere my wardrobe. I was cutting his nails when he died in my arms so I kinda kept them as a reminder of him.Weird isn't it??

Shed some tears of my own reading this. Loosing a loved one is so hard! May God continue to give u d fortitude to bear your loss. Take heart.

3 Likes

Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 19, 2012
I lost my elder brother two years ago and ever since then, he comes into my memory thinking deleting his number would help... but it didnt. Lo and Behold, I used his name as my username on my laptop and that will NEVER change.

I love him sooo much.

Rest in Peace Abimbola till we meet

1 Like

Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by dammytex: 3:36pm On Nov 19, 2012
Why is this thread getting me emotional?
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 19, 2012
virtuoso01: I lost my Mum 3 years ago. Her number is still on my phone and my Daddy charges the battery of the phone every week.

I will never delete the number because it is etched in my memory.

its okay bro I see you, I would never delete the number,pictures,facebook account and every other thing for the rest of my life, even if the phone gets stolen I will retrieve the sim with the number too, because there are somethings that no matter how long remain eternally in the heart cry cry cry
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Nov 19, 2012
dammytex: Why is this thread getting me emotional?

Sorry bro, didnt mean for it to. If you read my first post, i did mention it's a very sensitive and emotional thread.

I still feel so emotional reading through all the comments tho.
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by ayobase(m): 3:56pm On Nov 19, 2012
chaircover: Its a personal decision/choice and there is no right or wrong answer.

I have 2 numbers in my phone of deceased uncles and I will not be removing their numbers anytime soon and I feel some comfort and good memories when I scroll past their names in my contacts.

Sorry for ur losses!
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by danahart(f): 4:26pm On Nov 19, 2012
still have my dad's nomba
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 19, 2012
It's surprising seeing this topic on the front page cos it was jst today that I was contemplating whether to delete a late friend's number. She has since been buried but it's like if I call her phone she'll pick. I still don't believe she's gone.
We met at the Law Sch in Abuja and became so close u'd think we had known each other all our lives. I haven't been able to delete her numbers, and as weird as it sounds, having it on my phonebook is like I still have her around. RIP dear Salome sad
Re: At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 19, 2012
I still do and I saved their voice messages on my system ..... I feel they're still alive. So sad.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Depressed Wife Needs Your Urgent Advice. / Newly Married Within A Year or Less- Let's Relate / Help I Think I Might Be Pregnant!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.