Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,062 members, 7,970,277 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 05:07 AM

The Bad Politics Of African Footballer Of The Year Award - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Bad Politics Of African Footballer Of The Year Award (688 Views)

Enyeama, Musa Shortlisted For African Footballer Of The Year Award / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 / Is Mikel Good For African Footballer Of The Year Award? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Bad Politics Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by spora(m): 10:56am On Feb 07, 2008
Chelsea's Cote d'Ivoire striker, Drogba, allegation about the African Footballer Award is worrisome. Drogba opted not to travel to Togo and Mali's Kanoute, who did go, was declared the winner on Friday.

Drogba said afterwards that a Confederation of African Football official had warned him that the award would be given to Sevilla striker Kanoute if he did not go to Lome.

"Without being disrespectful, I don't think that the attitude of those people honours Africa. If I didn't go to Lome, it was because it was two days before a quarter-final and we have only one goal, to win the Cup," he said.

Kanoute told the Sevilla Web site (www.sevillafc.es) that he too had been told he must attend to receive the award.

"It is a complicated story and I don't have to justify myself," said the Malian striker.

"But the truth is they told me the same and maybe if we had still been in the cup I wouldn't have been able to attend the event.

"They told me that I also deserved the award for everything I had achieved with Sevilla," added the player.

Drogba said he would have sent his wife to the ceremony "but, unfortunately, she was not welcome.

"I have therefore decided not to be part of the vote for the next African Footballer of the Year award. I feel that the contest has lost its worth. I regarded it very highly," added the striker.

For details: see [url=http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/sports/article20//indexn3_html?pdate=070208&ptitle=CAF%20denies%20Drogba's%20allegation&cpdate=070208] this [/url]
Re: The Bad Politics Of African Footballer Of The Year Award by ssdm(m): 1:31pm On Feb 07, 2008
is not a new thing, it has jst xtented to him.sorri bro drogba

(1) (Reply)

Vogts Shuns Nfa Twice: In Two Weeks / Is Any Other Sport Better Than Soccer? Let Us Know What Sport! / Ugliest Soccer Star Is?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.