Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,405 members, 7,901,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 11:57 PM

What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story (1233 Views)

What Has Religion Done For Africa. / What Has Religion Done To Improve Our Nations? / Has Religion Failed Nigeria At 53 Years? For And Against (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by contactwale: 7:41am On Nov 21, 2012
NB: For those who read upside down, please note that this did not happen to me. I only copied the story from the NET

I got the first phone call just before 1:00pm, UK time. This was Tuesday 13th November 2012. It was from my sister in Lagos. She was frantic. Our younger brother’s wife was bleeding, losing a lot of blood, laid out on a bed at the National Hospital, Abuja. She had just delivered a baby, their second in just over two years. My sister informed me that despite serious pleas from everyone in the family, from clinical staff at the hospital, and from concerned strangers, my brother refused to give his consent for his wife to have blood transfusion.

Why? Unfortunately for his wife, my brother is a Jehovah’s Witness.

I called my brother and spoke to him. He didn’t budge. He said his faith; his religion forbids its members from accepting blood under any circumstance. Though I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, I said that it was ok. I told him that he could refuse blood transfusion when he is the patient, but since it was his young wife at death’s door, he should give consent for the treatment for her. I added that after his wife has been saved, he could go ahead and ask for forgiveness from the anti-transfusion god, and once again reconcile himself to his faith.
He declined.

I then went into the medical aspect of what was happening. I informed my brother that the average male has only about 5.5 litres of blood in their body. The average female has even less. I told him that if the body loses too much of that, there wouldn’t be enough for the heart to pump, and the heart would stop beating. The patient will die. He still didn’t budge. In fact, he promptly hung up on me. I called him back a few more times but the young man refused to answer his phone.

I called back my sister in Lagos and reported my failure.
The second call came at exactly 2:00pm. This time my sister was crying. The young lady has died.

I immediately called my brother again. I wanted to tell him to take and bow and to clap for himself. But he was still refusing to take my calls.
I spent the rest of the afternoon thinking about religion. I know that religion has its many benefits, but I am beginning to wonder whether these are outweighed by its negative aspects. Most people appear to check their intelligence at the door when it comes to their religion and practicing their faith.

Unfortunately, my brother is one of them. I couldn’t believe that an educated man (he has a Master’s degree from the University of Ibadan) would sit around and watch his wife die when he could have very easily prevented her death by signing a piece of paper. What has religion done to us?
I called my other sister in Abuja to get more details. I wish I hadn’t.

She informed me that she spent more than an hour on her knees begging our brother to give his consent for his wife to be given blood, but he refused. He refused her, and he refused all pleadings from the medical staff, some of whom were begging him with tears in their eyes. He was told repeatedly that without blood transfusion, his wife would die. He wasn’t moved. He informed them all that if his wife died from bleeding and never got blood transfusion, she would go straight to Heaven. This is a novel idea. If only Hitler, Saddam Hussein, Idi Amin, Abacha and the rest of them knew this nice little secret. All they needed to do was slit their own wrists and the express lift to Heaven would have come for them.

Then it got worse. I was informed that the young lady’s mother was present throughout at the hospital. The doctors went to her to give consent for her daughter to be given blood to save her life, but the mother also refused!

She too is a Jehovah’s witness. She maintained throughout that only the husband can give consent, she would not.

In desperation, the doctors called the young lady’s younger brother who is a junior doctor in Jos. The deceased worked at the National Assembly and was the main breadwinner in her birth family. She paid for the education of all of her siblings, including that of this junior doctor. As the doctors in Abuja pleaded with him on the phone to give consent for his sister to receive blood to save her life, this junior doctor demurred. He directed that she be given some coagulants and blood clotting agents. He was informed that all of that has been tried but the patient was still losing blood. In the end, he refused to give consent. He claimed that it was the duty of his sister’s husband, not his, and terminated the call.

He too is a Jehovah’s witness. A doctor! What has religion done to us?

Before this, I have never imagined that any mother could sit on a chair, fold her arms and watch her child die and not do something about it. This was a child she gave birth to and nurtured, and who in turn, had been taking care of her in her old age. I don’t know whether I’m the one losing my mind. What has religion done to us?
Anyway, the mother and my brother were finally called to go to the lady’s bedside as it became obvious that she was struggling through her last breaths. Mama ran in the opposite direction shouting, “Jehovah o! Jehovah is life! Life is Jehovah!”

My brother took his place by his wife’s bedside and watched life ebb out of her. He stood there and watched her die. What kind of boldness is that? What kind of cold-heartedness is that? When asked why he did what he did, he responded that when he dies, he would marry his dead wife again in Heaven! Is this logical? I have to confess that I am not the most religious person in the world, but are there marriages in Heaven? Are we going to continue having more children in Heaven?

More importantly, would God be pleased with a person who had the power to save one of his children, one of his creations, but deliberately refused to do so? It is one thing to watch helplessly and only give comfort as someone lies dying on a motorway, but to deliberately and actively withhold life-saving consent? Especially to your own wife? Your own child? Your own sister?

My brother has become a latter-day Abraham. He even went further by sacrificing his wife on the altar of religious principles. But why are some religious people like this? Is it the fear of going against the grain of their faith’s community? Is it the fear of being seen or being thought as not faithful enough by their fellow religious comrades? Is it the shame of being considered weak by one’s religious peers? And if this is the case, are these feelings not trumped by love for another human being? Personally, I think that it has got to be illiteracy of the mind.

Well, after mama ran away, my brother too voted with his feet. He couldn’t be found for a few hours. Eventually he showed up and took his day-old baby over to our sister in Abuja to look after. The next day, ten of his fellow Kingdom-hallers turned up to stare at the baby. I cannot help but wonder what would have been going through their minds. Would they be jubilating that a fellow member has been ‘martyred’ by her husband? Are they happy that a needless and easily preventable death took place in their midst?

My brother is now faced with the daunting task of raising two infants on his own. I wonder whether he has thought much about the future. What would he tell his children when they become old enough and ask about their mother? Is he going to lie to them for the rest of his life? They would find out eventually, of course. And when they do, would they thank him for the leading role he played in their mother’s death?

And bringing up those two infants on his own would be tough – very tough. I assume he would have to stay single now for the rest of his life since he claimed that when he dies, he would remarry his dead wife in Heaven. It would therefore be illogical for him to marry someone else again in this world. That would complicate things for him in Heaven, unless Jehovah Witnesses are entitled to marry more than one wife in the great beyond.

But God is so patient! The many mad things we do in His name! What a waste. What a complete waste of human life and human potential. What has religion done to us!

Well, three days later, my brother called me. He was looking for N250,000 towards funeral cost. Of course I hung up on him…

By Michael Egbejumi-David

NB: For those who read upside down, note again that this story did not happen to me. I only copied it from the NET
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by overdrive(m): 8:47am On Nov 21, 2012
Heart rending and pathetic.
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by k2039: 9:27am On Nov 21, 2012
I couldn’t believe that an educated man (he has a Master’s degree from the University of Ibadan)

I'm not surprised,I'm sure he had a M.sc in stupidity

Stupidity is seeing the obvious but choosing to believe the lies
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by manmustwac(m): 9:44am On Nov 21, 2012
I just hope this true life story makes the homepage.
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by manmustwac(m): 9:51am On Nov 21, 2012
I just hope this true life story makes the homepage. cry
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 21, 2012
I would like to hear what the Xtian apologetics on NL have to say about this..

Maybe JW's not true Xtianity...

Smh...
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 11:32am On Nov 21, 2012
This is where my JW brothers are completely out of order !!

This also happened to someone I knew , only in his case he refused to take his sick daughter , aged about 8 years , to hospital for treatment. She eventually died.

Main reason why following cults and MEN will trip you into a ditch.
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by manmustwac(m): 11:59am On Nov 21, 2012
I even wonder if the deceased husband's wife is a Jehovah's Witness to and if she would've agreed to what was being done to her if she had been conscious and able to make her own decision.
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 21, 2012
frosbel: This is where my JW brothers are completely out of order !!

This also happened to someone I knew , only in his case he refused to take his sick daughter , aged about 8 years , to hospital for treatment. She eventually died.

Main reason why following cults and MEN will trip you into a ditch.

U are all the same. Its the same way a guy would have the guts to slap a young girl and say he was right; how a man would have the heart to rob thousands, buys private jets and roll in a governor's convoy, watching his congregation trek, sweating under the sun; its the same way a man would look down on women, calling them inferior; its the same way a parent would chase their helpless children out of their homes becos some silly pastor termed them witches; its the same way churches keep emphasizing on money and causing noise pollution, not minding who they are disturbing.

U are all delusioned.

3 Likes

Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 21, 2012
Where is Ijawkid when you need him? smiley
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 12:24pm On Nov 21, 2012
inurmind:

U are all the same. Its the same way a guy would have the guts to slap a young girl and say he was right; how a man would have the heart to rob thousands, buys private jets and roll in a governor's convoy, watching his congregation trek, sweating under the sun; its the same way a man would look down on women, calling them inferior; its the same way a parent would chase their helpless children out of their homes becos some silly pastor termed them witches; its the same way churches keep emphasizing on money and causing noise pollution, not minding who they are disturbing.

U are all disillusioned.

Just like Muskeeto said, some christians will come here and claim that Jehovah's Witness are not true christians while supporting other atrocities that their own churches do
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 12:37pm On Nov 21, 2012
inurmind:

U are all disillusioned.

disillusioned : Disappointed in someone or something that one discovers to be less good than one had believed.

Next time , use the correct words to make your point !
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by PastorAIO: 12:40pm On Nov 21, 2012
inurmind:

U are all disillusioned.

An in law of mine died cos when she got ill at childbirth instead of taking her to the hospital my cousin took her to church for prayers. How is that any different from the OP? Pentecostal Church o!

I'm sure almost every family in Nigeria has one or two such stories. This is a case of epidemic proportions. Yet they have a right to do their live anyway that they want to do it. and feel superior as they do it. Clear eyes for other people delusions but a total failure to see your own delusions. Humanity is really something special.

1 Like

Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Delafruita(m): 12:58pm On Nov 21, 2012
Pastor AIO:

An in law of mine died cos when she got ill at childbirth instead of taking her to the hospital my cousin took her to church for prayers. How is that any different from the OP? Pentecostal Church o!

I'm sure almost every family in Nigeria has one or two such stories. This is a case of epidemic proportions. Yet they have a right to do their live anyway that they want to do it. and feel superior as they do it. Clear eyes for other people delusions but a total failure to see your own delusions. Humanity is really something special.
once christian women are told they'd need a CS,the next thing is fasting and prayer,red and white candle,casting of demons etc.its very pathetic
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by PastorAIO: 2:26pm On Nov 21, 2012
Delafruita: once christian women are told they'd need a CS,the next thing is fasting and prayer,red and white candle,casting of demons etc.its very pathetic
shocked shocked shocked Fasting during pregnancy?!!
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 21, 2012
Pastor AIO: shocked shocked shocked Fasting during pregnancy?!!

LMAO! grin grin
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 21, 2012
frosbel:

disillusioned : Disappointed in someone or something that one discovers to be less good than one had believed.

Next time , use the correct words to make your point !

my bad, meant delusioned. Like words like that do get confusing.

But is that all u can say?
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 21, 2012
Logicboy03:

LMAO! grin grin

The people the foetus got it's DNA from are not that intelligent to begin with, then they compound the problem by starving the poor foetus of needed nutrients for brain development. Sometimes, Zombies are not made, they are born.....................to be exploited by the jewish fairy and his gang of merry men.
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 21, 2012
Martian:

The people the foetus got it's DNA from are not that intelligent to begin with, then they compound the problem by starving the poor foetus of needed nutrients for brain development. Sometimes, Zombies are not made, they are born.....................to be exploited by the jewish fairy and his gang of merry men.

Unfortunately this truth will fall on deaf ears from the bible pushers.................
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Lasinoh: 4:09pm On Nov 21, 2012
I think he did the right thing.
Putting his faith to a final test. . .TO SHAME GOD!
Glad he succeeded. kiss
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by manmustwac(m): 11:48pm On Nov 21, 2012
All the Jehovahs Witnesses in the house come and defend your religion. I am even sure that a percentage of you would allow your children to die because of your religious beliefs angry
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by infonwose(m): 4:49am On Nov 22, 2012
hummm...wat has religion done to us indeed... Is it religion per se or religious ignorant? God help our understanding.....
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by seyibrown(f): 11:45am On Nov 22, 2012
@ OP,

All those who had the chance to give consent 'to save the life' of that young lady but refused have blood on their hands. ... but one question: Why wasn't the lady asked for her consent for the transfusion? She is adult and capable of giving consent and the consent of relatives was not more important than hers at that critical point.

Waste of a young life! Those infants were callously robbed of their mother by their own mis-guided relatives! What a shame! sad
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 1:12pm On Nov 22, 2012
Pastor AIO: shocked shocked shocked Fasting during pregnancy?!!
Oga, it's spiritual fasting... It's a test of your faith....
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 23, 2012
FRONT PAGE bump!!! grin
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Redmosquito(m): 7:15am On Nov 23, 2012
Minion: Ur Painfulness! Is religion really this bad?
Hades: Religion is only bad when you follow your god and leave your brain behind. Mortals are foolish. Why abandon your brain? The brain that was given to you by the highest powers
Minion: I do not agree with you, My Lord! Religion is the bed-rock of human civilization! angry
Hades:Human civilization, You say! There was a period when religion ruled the world far and wide. No-one could go against its norms. That time was called the DARK AGES!
Minion: The matter of the soul is of utmost priority. Anything can be sacrificed
Hades: Foolish being! Do not be blinded, open your eyes
Minion: I want no more of this talk, my Lord!

2 Likes

Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by hercules07: 7:49am On Nov 23, 2012
Redmosquito: Minion: Ur Painfulness! Is religion really this bad?
Hades: Religion is only bad when you follow your god and leave your brain behind. Mortals love to do that. Why abandon your brain? The brain that was given to you by the highest powers
Minion: I do not agree with you, My Lord! Religion is the bed-rock of human civilization! angry
Hades:Human civilization, You say! There was a period when religion ruled the world far and wide. No-one could go against its norms. That time was called the DARK AGES!
Minion: The matter of the soul is of utmost priority. Anything can be sacrifice
Hades: Foolish being! Do not be blinded, open your eyes
Minion: I want no more of this talk, my Lord!

Have you thought of putting all your contributions in a book? You can call it the buzzing of the squito.
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by wiegraf: 7:51am On Nov 23, 2012
Front page for justice
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Redmosquito(m): 7:52am On Nov 23, 2012
hercules07:

Have you thought of putting all your contributions in a book? You can call it the buzzing of the squito.
Minion: We have a book. Come to the underworld with us. You go read am taya grin
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 23, 2012
Please i beg y'all, stay away from religion! Its the "satan" we are scared of !! I detest, refuse and spit at religion as i have had my fair share of bad experiences too. I would never believe in an "imaginary" God and i will fight this ignorant believe till i leave this world.
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Delafruita(m): 9:32am On Nov 23, 2012
musKeeto:
Oga, it's spiritual fasting... It's a test of your faith....
ROTFLMAO.you'd be amazed at the crazy things religion makes people do.things that border on outright insanity.but people do it all the same in the name of faith
Re: What Has Religion Done To Us- A True Life Story by Nobody: 12:27am On Nov 28, 2012
[quote author=contactwale]NB: For those who read upside down, please note that this did not happen to me. I only copied the story from the NET

try changing the headn, jehovah witness blives did tat, nt religious blives .

(1) (Reply)

Shocking:angel Appears In Redeem Church See Photos / The Essence Of Life / Religion Breeds Hypocrisy-Fmr Pentecostal Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.