Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,960 members, 7,876,652 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 11:16 PM

Confused About Choosing Between Two Jobs - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Confused About Choosing Between Two Jobs (1217 Views)

Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job / Choosing Between Acca And Ican / Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Confused About Choosing Between Two Jobs by megasoul: 12:53pm On Nov 21, 2012
I'm a graduate of mechanical engr from one of the federal universities in nigeria but since 2008 that I graduated I've not be gainfully employed hence I've not gotten any technical experience whatsoever. I've been processing to travel 2 Abu Dhabi in UAE since July, to work in a security firm as a security personnel but the process has been taking like forever. Fortunately I just got employed on monday (19th Nov) in a construction company here in Nigeria as a Mechanical Engr (Trainee), where we repair all the machines used in the construction company, from Mack & Ford trucks, to Hilux, Bull dozers, pay loaders, Mixers, Lister generators etc. The pay isn't so fantastic (about 50k per month) but there's a lot of technical experience I can gain here. I must mention that the nature of the job is quite stressful though, as in working under trucks under scorching sun, in d midst of dust & noice etc. I've been fatigued in just 3days. Meanwhile I got a call from Abu Dhabi only yesterday that my visa is almost ready. Although I'd be a security personnel over there, the pay is about 120k per month when converted to naira, I'd be given free accomodation, free transport to & fro my place of work & life generally over there is cheaper & less stressful but I won't be gaining any relevant knowledge that would boost my course of study in the university. I would have opportunity to do some certification courses/programs anyway or even save 4 an MSc perhaps in europe or better still get a good job in an engineering firm but that's all under probability. I'm d@mn confused right now. I really need advice on what decision would benefit me in the long run. Please my fellow NLs I need ur candid opinion on this one. Tnx
Re: Confused About Choosing Between Two Jobs by k2039: 1:32pm On Nov 21, 2012
Stay in nigeria,gain experience and you can then apply to another place afterall you must have acquired enough skills then.

You read mechanical engineering for Christ sake,traveling out will only mean you waisted five years in the university.
Re: Confused About Choosing Between Two Jobs by megasoul: 3:13pm On Nov 21, 2012
Tnx. That's what I'm thinking but 2 be honest, a part of me still craves for a life free of all the ills of our society. Pls don't be quick 2 judge me but this notion has been built over several yrs of being denied jobs even when I'm qualified 4 them just because I don't have pple in high places. Besides the higher pay is quite enticing, also I've been goin thru the streets of hard knock for a while nw. I'm actually dangling @ the middle of a lever nw not knowing what side 2 fall to.
Re: Confused About Choosing Between Two Jobs by Mustay(m): 8:02pm On Nov 21, 2012
It always appear green on the other side.

Your last post just reminds me of the Indian guys that were being discussed on a particular programme this morning - they felt they'd get it better here only to meet different 'wahala' by Nigerian officials to their surprise.

There's nothing wrong in the society free from ills as you claim but have you really given it a good thought?

Because this thread was posted in the career section, K0239's advice is sufficient. The security job doesn't seem appealing to me and it's a misfit to your qualifications - the same way we have physicians cum bankers here.

Don't let the 'know people in high places' sentiment get the better of you in your career. Just do well and your work will speak for you - learn not to tie your knots on some people's collars.
Re: Confused About Choosing Between Two Jobs by missojugo(f): 6:33am On Nov 23, 2012
My dear please advise yourself and stay in Nigeria.
U want to forsake your family, friends and all that you know to go to Abu Dhabi to be a security guard for 120k per month? Do you know what it is like to live in a foreign land surrounded by people who don't even see u as a human being and will throw your corpse in d street if anything happens to you? All for a 120k job as a security guard Did you say you are a graduate of mechanical engineering? Please my dear manage your 50k job and keep applying for your dream jobs one day something better will come up. Besides, d Visa is not even ready yet and if u ask me it sounds like a scam but what do I know? Why don't you even think of gaining enough experience at your present place of work and starting your own COY??Hard work doesn't kill and what doesn't kill you only makes u stronger. Good luck.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Rise Money For My Msc. Now / Meet Nkem Ofodile,the Only Female Space Engineer In The Nigerian Air Force / See The Nigerian Army Ranks And Their Salaries.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.