Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,019 members, 7,970,133 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 09:27 PM

Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope (13126 Views)

Jesus Was Not Even A Christian / Jesus Was Not Sent To Save The Whole World - Bible / This Is The HOUSE TB Joshua Was Born In... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by phaya(f): 10:57am On Nov 22, 2012
THIS IS IRELEVANT RIGHT NOW. THE MAIN ISSUE IS, IS THERE LIFE AFTER DEATH?! And please Christians stop giving the world wrong impression about yourselves that u are confused! Soon people will start asking did Christ actually died or was he even born??
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by aryzgreat: 10:58am On Nov 22, 2012
Many air heads here, especially the terrorist muslims. My town has a maquerade cult they honour on a certain day, when the missionariess came, it was a battle of mixing church and the masquerade cult tradition. The indigenes were so much involved in the cult thing. so the missionaries decided that on dat day in order to dissuade the new converts from joining the cult on dat day, the church decided that on dat day Anniversary of the church or missionary coming to d land will be celebrated on same day as d cult. This made the new converts be in the church dat day through out and it became an annual thing. Please do we now call this missionary anniversary pagan origin? Many of u here are COCONUT HEADS!

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Newcrescent(m): 10:58am On Nov 22, 2012
The idea that Christ was born on Dec 25 also has no basis in historical fact. "We don't even know which season he was born in. The whole idea of celebrating his birth during the darkest part of the year is probably linked to pagan traditions and the winter solstice.

"http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/9693576/Jesus-was-born-years-earlier-than-thought-claims-Pope.html[/quote]

Infact, X-mas connotes paganism going by the statement above. But, all actions will be judge according to intention.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 22, 2012
begining to see why the link pope to antichrist.

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by emeka762001(m): 11:05am On Nov 22, 2012
instead of una to dey cry for nigeria, una dey busy dey fight una self over wht pope say abt christ date of birth, how dat one take stop boko haram, kidnapping, bribery and corruption, armed robbery, bad roads, unemployment etc in nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by aryzgreat: 11:07am On Nov 22, 2012
Xmas, easter originated from the catholic church, if u think its paganism, y not chose ur own date? did the catholic church force anyone to follow suit? I to martin luther would have chose a date for u pple? a house divided amongst itself cannot stand. Is it Roman paganism dat is preached during xmas and easter or Christ? For me xmas and easter draws me closer to God by reminding me the essence and reason for Christs coming and death.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by jimjones: 11:08am On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink:

It's obvious you did not read the article! Btw, what I wrote up there wasn't for you, so kindly stop quoting me!

**unfollowing**

bollocks. not only have i read the article, i've read the book. you on the other hand, seems like you do know how to read but can hardly understand. in that article, john barton stated that those celebrations probably have pagan origins. i don't believe john barton is the pope. thank jesu you know how to read, how about taking it a step further? try to understand what you read, innit..

eh...of course your post wasn't for me, but you were being disingenuous...that's the only reason i responded to it.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by oojjaayy(m): 11:10am On Nov 22, 2012
Wots d catholic thing hia? We r talking abt christiandom and nt some sort of religious fanaticism. We all celebrate xmas,easther and all that. Is nt only catholics and I think d pontif is just trying to make some clarification.

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ameboperoo1: 11:12am On Nov 22, 2012
Pls, what is "cradle robber"
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by ijawkid(m): 11:21am On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink:

Did Christ follow the ways of His disciples after converting them or taught them the ways of God? So, if you succeed in coverting a juju worshipper today, will you merge his traditions to the body of Christ just to please him? Smh

They are in effect telling us that they couldn't convert pagans just as the apostles and Jesus did....they had to resort to merging pagan practices to christianity to entice the pagans.....but as advocate 666 just said ""they(pagans) are winning""......the pagans won..............

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by advocate666: 11:22am On Nov 22, 2012
Ameboperoo1: Pls, what is "cradle robber"

pedofile in NL special language.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:23am On Nov 22, 2012
caseless: Roman contraption!

Holy contradiction!

"celebrating his birth during the darkest part of the year is probably linked to pagan traditions and winter solstice".

Hmmmm...Romans' effect! They don finish this religion.....kaaai...

I hope the pope comes out one day and tell us how the bible was also adulterated by the romans, and not only his birthdate suffered the roman attack.

This romans even get verse for bible to show how far they went to destroy the bible.

Brethren, always stick to ur old testament to enjoy the real message.....
he was talking abt d year nt d day and month, pls read again
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:24am On Nov 22, 2012
frosbel: Man of SIN doing what he knows best , working against Christ !!
so giving a sholars opinion to wen christ was born is "working against christ"?
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:25am On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink: *Smh* But when you tell them that some of these celebrations have pagan origins, they won't agree! They don't want us to follow scriptural teachings because of some man made doctrines & pagan traditions *Smh*

Where are the mistakes coming from now? I thought they said Peter was a Pope? The Church that they even value more than the scripture is making mistakes now....hmmm
what mistake are u talking abt?
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by advocate666: 11:26am On Nov 22, 2012
Clueless christians. They don't even know when their lord and personal saviour was born. What else are they ignorant of?

1 Like

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:28am On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink: Some people are just silly; making senseless comments doesn't change what the Pope said! Must you insult people to make a point? Not surprised! That is what you guys resort to when your Church issues are being discussed! It's very clear that Catholics will soon resume killing to defend their Church doctrines grin !!!

Was it not the Catholic Church that brought in Christmas, Easter and other pagan traditions into Christianity? Even when the Pope is admitting that these celebrations have pagan origins, some people are still talking!!! *Smh* BTW, my problem is not even the date/time of Christ's birth but the pagan celebration linked to it!!!
please can u give d quote where d pope said d celebrations have pagan origin?
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by OME1(m): 11:29am On Nov 22, 2012
advocate666: Clueless christians. They don't even know when their lord and personal saviour was born. What else are they ignorant of?
you are living in ignorance...who told you all those things are true.@op do your researches well before posting controversial thins
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Caseless: 11:32am On Nov 22, 2012
Ubenedictus: he was talking abt d year nt d day and month, pls read again
Roman v16:2.....i'm sure that was where u got confused from. How can there b contradictions in holy stuffs? Smh...
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Esinwaju: 11:32am On Nov 22, 2012
Where is OBADIAH777?
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:34am On Nov 22, 2012
Olarajee: I just hope that all profits from the book go to the victims of child sex abuse perpetrated by their priests. And that those who harbored and protected pedophiles finish out their miserable lives in prison. Well, that won't happen. Right?
d victims where well compensated even pushing dioceses to bankruptcy and policies stregthened to make sure d acts do not repeat themselve so my dear no need to give d book profit away too!
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:35am On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink:

Christian worship styles are all over the NT! Paul and other early Christians wrote letters to new Christian converts, giving them guildlines on how to worship God in spirit and truth! They never used any borrowed pagan styles of worship to teach! The standard I'm talking about is in the Bible, anything borrowed from pagan tradition to please some pagan converts is wrong! That was my point.

I'm not trying to silent any Catholic; the article is about the Pope's views on borrowed pagan traditions. So, lets stick to the topic!
i cant find a single quote from d pope that talks of "pagan tradition". So where did u get that from?
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Caseless: 11:37am On Nov 22, 2012
chukwudi44: You guys are really bunch of fools exposing ur stupidity.it has been historically proved that christ was not really born in 1CE as earlier taught because it was eventually discovered that herod the great who wanted to kill him died much earlier between 7-2 BCE.This are historical facts,kindly google before making a fool of yourselves.
this is a practical example of "i came to spread sword, not love"....jesus(A.S) said this....must u insult others to put ur point across? Victim of roman attack!

Sent from BLACKBERRY PORSCHE
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:39am On Nov 22, 2012
aglomar: Ho does this irrelevant n useless papal lecture bring a solution to the teeming global problems. This is an avenue 4 some ppu 2 further denounce xtianity. Pope pls get a job!
have u read d book? How can u conclude dat d buk doesnt bring a solution wen u didnt read it? Besides d pope already has a job and he is doing it damn well
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Nobody: 11:39am On Nov 22, 2012
jim jones:

bollocks. not only have i read the article, i've read the book. you on the other hand, seems like you do know how to read but can hardly understand. in that article, john barton stated that those celebrations probably have pagan origins. i don't believe john barton is the pope. thank jesu you know how to read, how about taking it a step further? try to understand what you read, innit..

eh...of course your post wasn't for me, but you were being disingenuous...that's the only reason i responded to it.

And the celebrations aren't borrowed from pagan traditions? What are you talking about mayne? Smh
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Caseless: 11:40am On Nov 22, 2012
Ubenedictus: i cant find a single quote from d pope that talks of "pagan tradition". So where did u get that from?
read again...the last paragraph
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:41am On Nov 22, 2012
DANILSA: JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES HAS BEEN VINDICATED, JESUS WAS NEVER BORN ON 25TH DECEMBER THEY ALWAYS SEE BEFORE OTHERS, I MEAN THE FAITHFUL CLASS. smiley
d pope didnt say so! Instead he said Jesus wasnt born 1AD, d pope didnt talk abt day and month he was talking abt year
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:47am On Nov 22, 2012
abdulkayus: wat d pope said is d truth. There are many practise in d xtianity dat has its origin frm d pagan and den incoporated into xtianity by d roman. Even nowadays, rule dat are clear in bible are no more followed by d majority xtains, rules lyk coverin of hair by d females, rules on xtension of hair(attachment), wearing of trousers by d females and many others rules, by nowadays xtains tend to forget abt it and follows d western life takin den as face of xtains which is false. I do tel meny of mt xtains frnds dat wat is practise nowadays as xtainity is mostly western life. CIAO
d pope didnt say anything abt pagan traditions oh! He said d monk wu made d calender miscalculated and d year that he claimed christ was born i.e 1 anno domini (d year of d lord) wasnt actually d 1st year of d lord, d 1st year of d lord is around 7bc to 2bc.
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by OME1(m): 11:48am On Nov 22, 2012
advocate666:
grin grin grin grin grin
We are winning.
We are winning!
see the picture..and yet they will say atheists aren't of the devil..hope logicboy can see this
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by erad(m): 11:52am On Nov 22, 2012
I'm not supposed 2 comment here cos I'm really not a religion person but I discovered ignorance seems to be a part of some people's gene...

Who said anything about merging pagan practices with christianity??

For those with idea of economic terms, you sure understand the difference between "substituting" and "complementing"... Even a dictionary can help clarify the terms.

In days of old when missionarie preached to pagans... They recorded successes but discovered that some days were of significance to the pagans as regards some of their pagan practices. It was ourightly impossible to just scrap those days off and celebrations with them(just imagine a very potent authority wakes up tomoro and says celebrating christmas is a crime and december 25 is just like every other day, that's absolutely gonna cause some very big wahala)...

Instead, they left the dates as significant dates but changed what was being celebrated.
Honestly, I see it as a very smart move... Their mission was accomplished and everyone was happy.

At least Jesus dined with tax collectors and prostitutes all in a bid to spread the Word.

ENDEAVOUR NOT TO INSULT ME! ITS JUST MY LEVEL OF UNDERSTANDING AND OPINION, IT DOESN'T MEAN I'M RIGHT.

2 Likes

Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:55am On Nov 22, 2012
seriallink:

The Pope said it & even wrote a book about it. Do your research!

You might wanna check out this thread : www.nairaland.com/1109994/pope-benedict-xvi-publishes-biography
ofcuz d pope wrote a book Jesus of nazareth he called it, did u read d book? And did d article above say d pope mentioned anything abt pagan practice?
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:56am On Nov 22, 2012
tonyeverready: The truth can't be submerged for too long! The pegan practices shrouded with christainity shall be unveiled with time. Christmas, easter, sunday, forgiveness of sin by a mortal etc mat 15: 1-9 mk 7: 1-13. Be careful not to lay aside the commandments of God for the tradition of men.
which pagan practice?
Re: Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope by Ubenedictus(m): 11:57am On Nov 22, 2012
joshua idibia: cheesy yeeeeee!!! dey hv nw found out dt ts mscalculation. i no blame d guy.hm no gt calculator bk den. bt sir BENNEDICT,wot nxt? u wan rewrite bible?
benedict simple wrote his findings as he wrote a commentary on d infancy!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See What Pastor Kumuyi Preached This Morning That Surprised Many. / Lack Of Patience Is What Pushes People To Make Money Illegally. / Daily Fountain Devotional Guide 2019 (Anglican Communion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.